Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

How to (kind of) get dynamic custom race models

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

How to (kind of) get dynamic custom race models

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:05 pm

Disclaimer: I really don't think the changes I mention will screw anything up to an unplayable state, but since I don't really know what I'm talking about, there's always a chance (not really). There may even be better ways to do it, but this is what I found when playing around. If worst comes to worst, redownload the hak.

In the last update dynamic models for the Lizardman, Orc, Gnoll, and Half-Ogre were added. Currently they are NPC only, I assume because they're not ~perfect~ models. There is a way to make it so that you can use these dynamic models for your PC, by replacing a line in a hak 2da for each race you want changed.

So if you:
1 - Don't mind not wearing robes. (the robes for all models except Gnoll are severely screwed up, and I'm not talking about clipping. Gnoll I've just seen a bit of clipping and is tolerable to me.)
2 - Don't mind that some parts like bare chest that show up look human and use whatever color skin your PC has.
3 - Are tired of your static Gnoll/Shaahesk/Half-ogre/Orc
4 - (If doing this for Orc) Don't mind trading in your current head for the more goofy looking one.
5 - Don't mind that only you and anyone who makes the same changes will see the changes.

Then here's how to do it:

1) Open up nwhak.exe in your \NeverwinterNights\NWN\utils directory.

2) Once in nwhak, File-->open--> avlis_main1_5.hak which will be in your hak folder.

3) Right click the appearance 2da and export it somewhere.

4) Open your exported appearance 2da in a text editor.

5) Scroll to the end of the file where you'll see the dynamic model entries (except lizard which is at line 811). Here copy the line of the dynamic model you want. In this example I'll do Gnoll.

6) Now you need to find the line with of the model usually used for your Custom PC. In the case of Gnolls, it's line 388.

7) Replace the normal model line with the Dynamic model line.

8 ) Save the appearance.2da with these changes. Then drag the file directly into the nwhak.exe window with the avlis main hak still displayed. It should ask if you want to overwrite the original appearance.2da, say yes. Save the avlis_main1_5.hak.

That should have worked, because it did for me. Also, I haven't searched for the lines of the normally used models for the other custom races yet, so you'll need to find those yourself, or ask around.

The more people who do it, the more people will see your hawt dynamic Custom Race PC's.

Note: Technically you could also make Orcs, assuming you find them too goofy, look like half-orcs. (Or make dragons into kittens)

edit: Making these changes will make it so that NPC's using the model you replace show up with no armor. This would only really be a problem with shaahesk and ogres which are found in quite a few places. The PC Orc model isn't seen in many places, and then there's some non dynamic gnolls in Deglos (omgspoilers!!!11)
Last edited by Sunscream on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sunscream
Master Sage

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: Marleh » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:52 pm

No kobolds? Awww.... *pouts*

Do helms show on these races once the changes are made?
Image Dame Moira Celyn (Windspar) Callindraes - Just a little bit...
Marleh
QA Resource

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:01 am

Helms don't seem to show up, at least on the half-ogre.
Sunscream
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:04 am

Alright, here are the lines for the original models(the ones to be replaced):

Gnoll 388
Lizardman 134
Half-Ogre 127
Orc 803
Sunscream
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:08 am

:erschreckt:
:schockiert:
:megaeek:

Awesome! I've been so caught up in NWN2 stuff I didn't know they added the new dynamic models.

Cheers, Sunscream, for a very clear writeup of how to implement this now. :applaus:

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: DanishPastry » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:13 am

Cool looking ORCS, look no further!

Finally, the orcs will look like orcs (by using the fully dynamic half-orc model) and not like dirty dogs who have crapped their pants. There's no reason really to replace it with the dynamic orc model unless you are in love with the static orc head and want to have your PC walk around in a funny manner.

(Do this by replacing the 803 Black_Orc_ShamanA line with the 5 Half_orc line.)

:good: ^^

Great work, Sunny! :D
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
DanishPastry

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 am

Just remember like I said....there ARE reasons the team hasn't made these models avaible by default:

Sunscream
Master Sage

PostAuthor: szabot » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:22 am

So this is what Annihilator armor actually looks like on a shaahesk:

Thanks, sunscream. This is great. :)
CoEMF
:devil:
Member of the MadKat Fan Club
szabot

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: Crunk » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:12 am

Marleh wrote:No kobolds? Awww.... *pouts*

Do helms show on these races once the changes are made?

there are kobolds the dynamic model is in the 800's somewhere. Helms are gigantic on them so they can fit in the snouts but otherwise they look great!
Crunk
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: szabot » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:16 am

The dynamic kobold is 809. There are six other kobold lines (300-306), though, so I'm not sure which one to replace with the dynamic one.

There also seems to be a dynamic goblin (2041), but I'm also not sure which of the goblin lines (82-87) to replace.
CoEMF
:devil:
Member of the MadKat Fan Club
szabot

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: The Nomad » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:52 am

Line 302 works for my kobold
The Nomad
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:16 am

Do you have to add the modified appearance.2da back into the hak, or can it not go in the override?
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Seni » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:24 am

Line 302 works for my kobold

works for me as well :D

don't they look awesome? AND they are still moving without silly walks
:wink:

Do you have to add the modified appearance.2da back into the hak, or can it not go in the override?

yep.

Seni
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: The Nomad » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:55 am

Armours seem to work ok (running, walking, combat etc) exept for no armour parts on the legs.

Robes seem to work ok (as above) exept that the head model seems to be displaced forewards of the body model and not attached to it.
The Nomad
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:03 am

Sunscream wrote:Alright, here are the lines for the original models(the ones to be replaced):

Gnoll 388
Lizardman 134
Half-Ogre 127
Orc 803

I'm guessing that for changleings taking on these forms, they will have to replace the actual form taken (which may well be different from this).

Is there any problem in replacing all forms, e.g. goblin has 6 forms (82-87)?
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:00 am

robocod wrote:
Sunscream wrote:Alright, here are the lines for the original models(the ones to be replaced):

Gnoll 388
Lizardman 134
Half-Ogre 127
Orc 803

I'm guessing that for changleings taking on these forms, they will have to replace the actual form taken (which may well be different from this).

Is there any problem in replacing all forms, e.g. goblin has 6 forms (82-87)?

OK, I just tried it with my changeling:

Gnoll looks fine, apart from helmet sits sort of on-top of head like a hat

Goblin, I had goblin_B memorised (the orange/brown goblin), and of course the dynamic model is the green one :( So if I want to go dynamic, then I have to go green). Also, the helmet is way too big, it doesn't seem to get scaled like the armor does. The custom race model is 86 by the way.

Capes don't seem to appear at all, is that expected?

Some questions:
1) Why does it have to be in the hak, and not an overide? Anyone know?
2) Do I need to edit the line number in the file? It doesn't seem to matter either way, just wondered.

Can't post any piccies from work. May do so later from home.

Oh, and breaking news... I just fixed the helmet thing 8-)

In the appearances.2da file is a column for helmet scaling
HELMET_SCALE_M HELMET_SCALE_F
For the dynamic races, they were set to 1. This made the goblins helm too big. I modified this to 0.9 (same value for gnome).. not perfect, the ears show through (but that looks kinda cute) and I can see the eyes. I guess it depends on the helmet model.

The gnoll helm didn't improve much here, because the primary problem is that it is too high (I think it must start from the top of the mane or something). But another solution is to scale it down so small that you can't see it (it actually appears inside the head). I used a value of 0.1 (I thought 0 might cause problems, not sure - feel free to experiment).

And the list for custom PC races is as follows...
Gnoll 388
Lizardman 134
Half-Ogre 127
Orc 803
Goblin 86
Kobold 302

For changelings, you will have to find the form that you memorised, e.g. Goblin_B is 87, Kobold_B is 305, etc.

EDIT: Sunscream, this is bloody awesome! :D Thanks for pointing it out to all us lesser beings :gott:
Last edited by robocod on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Buddha » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:04 am

robocod wrote:Do you have to add the modified appearance.2da back into the hak, or can it not go in the override?

I'm guessing that once you all figure out all the replacements, you could make one modified appearance.2da and drop it in the override. Guessing.
Buddha
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT+1 (DST)

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:06 am

Buddha wrote:
robocod wrote:Do you have to add the modified appearance.2da back into the hak, or can it not go in the override?

I'm guessing that once you all figure out all the replacements, you could make one modified appearance.2da and drop it in the override. Guessing.

I tried that, and it didn't work. It only seems to like being in the hak.
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Sunscream » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:37 pm

Nice, I didn't know about the Kobolds. I saw their entries in the 2da's but they never showed up in the toolset.
Sunscream
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Krator » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:54 pm

A piece of advice to everyone making this change:

Note these changes very well, especially if you're not familiar with hak editing and the way updates and 2das work. The best way to do this is to create a text file in your NWN folder where you note all files changed, and when. You will have to remove or redo these changes when the Avlis haks update.
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:58 pm

I'd like to understand some more of the problems of doing this. The only one I've seen for myself so far is the helmet one (which I already provided a fix for). Robes don't appear at all on my forms, so I don't know what the problem is there.

What else is there that goes wrong / looks wrong?

I'm thinking that the more of these things we can find and fix, the more people we can encourage to use the modified hak, and the more people will see us in our fully armor-clad glory :D
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Czarcasm » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:02 pm

robocod wrote:I'm thinking that the more of these things we can find and fix, the more people we can encourage to use the modified hak, and the more people will see us in our fully armor-clad glory :D

If they could easily be "fixed" you wouldn't need to modify the hak. ;)

If anyone knows modeling and wants a chance to fix the models to include adding cloaks, fill out a subcontractor app and send it to the team.

Czarcasm

Timezone: GMT-6

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:29 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
robocod wrote:I'm thinking that the more of these things we can find and fix, the more people we can encourage to use the modified hak, and the more people will see us in our fully armor-clad glory :D

If they could easily be "fixed" you wouldn't need to modify the hak. ;)

If anyone knows modeling and wants a chance to fix the models to include adding cloaks, fill out a subcontractor app and send it to the team.

@Czarcasm
As Team Member then, do you know what is wrong or missing with these dynamic models, i.e. why they weren't ready to go for PC races by default? Is it just the cloaks, or are there other things. That's all I was looking for, just a list of things wrong.

Cloaks: don't show up on dynamic models - so, what's the problem they don't show with static models either
Helmets look bad: set helmet scale to 0 so they don't show
.... what else?
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: robocod » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:36 pm

Sunscream wrote:Helms don't seem to show up, at least on the half-ogre.

Which model did you use for the half-ogre?

2039 "Ogre, Dynamic" or
2042 "Half-Ogre**"
robocod
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Czarcasm » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:37 pm

robocod wrote:As Team Member then, do you know what is wrong or missing with these dynamic models, i.e. why they weren't ready to go for PC races by default? Is it just the cloaks, or are there other things. That's all I was looking for, just a list of things wrong.

Cloaks: don't show up on dynamic models - so, what's the problem they don't show with static models either
Helmets look bad: set helmet scale to 0 so they don't show
.... what else?

We aren't hiding anything behind the curtains on dynamic races, it's all publicly available and has been for some time. Right here: http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=56765&start=125

Consider Gimlor's last post (since he's the one that created them) to be the reason why the models are not yet used. The most important being the models need to be split up and re-skinned so they have the proper colored skin. Additionally, a few races do not yet support robes and none of them support cloaks.

Czarcasm

Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion