Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

A Few Sereg Questions

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

A Few Sereg Questions

PostAuthor: TiVO25 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:41 pm

You knew they were coming. I'll try to avoid the "but, no" questions. Just remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask them. :wink:

From the Sereg'wethrin Info Thread

1.) Does this:

Orleron wrote:Note about sereg-superconditioning: The whole race was not super-conditioned during the M'Chek-T'Nanshi War. Only the sereg who fought in that war were superconditioned. When the sereg'wethrin split completely from T'Nanshi and went on their own into the Underdark, the superconditioning ceased to be renewed, and all sereg'wethrin coming of age right now are NOT superconditioned.

mean that this:

Orleron wrote:Sereg'wethrin maintain a strong hatred of humans that is nearly unrestrainable. They see humans as a viral culture that is a threat to all other cultures near them. Unless there are predefined arrangements, they will attack any human on sight.

does not apply?

In other words, are humans no longer K.o.S.? So I don't have to attack the human sitting right outside the start tent? :wink:

2.) Also from that same thread:

Orleron wrote:Adventurers: Sereg’wethrin are trained to stay with their unit unless ordered to do otherwise. This makes it unlikely to find a solitary specimen out on its own with no particular mission. On occasion, a sereg’wethrin will break with its conditioning and go out on its own, but these members are hunted down by their units and destroyed.

Does this mean if I play a Sereg adventurer in the Underdark (maintaining a CN or CE alignment) I can expect to be attacked by Sereg units for going "A.W.O.L.?" Or is this covered by the conditioning quote from earlier and no longer applies as well?

3.) What's a Sereg's favored class?

4.) Can they become Arcane Archers?

5.) Do Sereg have a distinctive voice that would identify them as Sereg even with all skin covered (including hands, etc.)?

6.) Are Sereg K.o.S. in Kurathene? I'd imagine this is a moot point if humans are still K.o.S. to Sereg. :)

Thanks for your patience and spelling things out for me.

And if any eager-beavers want to respond to this before a Team member does, feel free to PM me. :wink:
You can't stop the signal.

"Every calling is great when greatly pursued."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
TiVO25
Sage

PostAuthor: Moredo » Tue May 30, 2006 9:57 pm

1. They hate humans, but won't die due to prolonged exposure to them.
2. I'm pretty sure you won't get NPC seregs hunting you down in DC, but no promises. :P
3. I'm not really sure, but I'll find out.
4. Ghost elves can't become AAs, so I don't think seregs can either.
5. No, not as far as I know.
6. Sereg are KOS everywhere, except in DC.
Last edited by Moredo on Tue May 30, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always consider alignment as a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts the character.
— AD&D, 2nd Edition Player's Handbook
Moredo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: +2

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:01 pm

I will try to answer some of your questions - although some of my answers are really just my interpretation - so others may disagree. :?

The strong conditioning does not apply anymore - since the War ended - so PC Sereg do not have to attack Humans on sight. You can RP that you don't like them, but having PC Sereg attacking Humans on sight is likely to lead to problems and complaints.

BTW - Vasharan (another option available as a PC in the Dark City) do not count as Humans as far as Sereg are concerned - so they can co-exist in the Dark City. Of course, the Sereg might not exactly count them as friends, but they are not KoS. :wink:

Now that the War is over, I think the Sereg who remain are more or less redundant - a bit like highly trained Special Forces in Peacetime. I imagine that a few are likely to have 'wandered off' - in other words, you can have a PC Sereg and not have others hunt them down as Deserters.

Not sure about favoured class. They are basically Elves - so probably Wizard is favoured. As for most logical choices - probably Wizards, Rogues, Fighters or Barbarians would seem good choices. They are normally CE, so Druids or Monks are probably not likely. Sorcerors would probably be limited as they tend to have low Charisma, which probably limits Bards as well.

As for Arcane Archers - I don't know. Avariel cannot AFAIK, but I am not sure about Drangonari and Ghost Elves. Maybe someone else can confirm that either way please? Edit: It would appear not.

I don't see why their voices should give them away. I imagine them being fairly crazy in their personality, which might set them apart from Avlissian Elves. They would need to be well covered up, but the same applies to Drangonari, so that should not be impossible.

I have no idea how they would be treated in Kurathene. Remember they would have to find their way out of the Underdark first........ :wink:
Edit: They are KoS everywhere except in the Dark City, so the answer would be yes. :wink:

Hope that helps - and that I am not leading anyone astray through inaccuracy. :?
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Fifty » Tue May 30, 2006 10:06 pm

Related question.

How do Sereg *know* that Vasharans are Vasharans, not humans?

And what IC explanation is there for human visitors to Dark City not getting attacked my the Sereg down there?
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

Re: A Few Sereg Questions

PostAuthor: Vian » Tue May 30, 2006 10:08 pm

TiVO25 wrote:You knew they were coming. I'll try to avoid the "but, no" questions. Just remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask them. :wink:

From the Sereg'wethrin Info Thread

1.) Does this:

Orleron wrote:Note about sereg-superconditioning: The whole race was not super-conditioned during the M'Chek-T'Nanshi War. Only the sereg who fought in that war were superconditioned. When the sereg'wethrin split completely from T'Nanshi and went on their own into the Underdark, the superconditioning ceased to be renewed, and all sereg'wethrin coming of age right now are NOT superconditioned.

mean that this:

Orleron wrote:Sereg'wethrin maintain a strong hatred of humans that is nearly unrestrainable. They see humans as a viral culture that is a threat to all other cultures near them. Unless there are predefined arrangements, they will attack any human on sight.

does not apply?

In other words, are humans no longer K.o.S.? So I don't have to attack the human sitting right outside the start tent? :wink:

2.) Also from that same thread:

Orleron wrote:Adventurers: Sereg’wethrin are trained to stay with their unit unless ordered to do otherwise. This makes it unlikely to find a solitary specimen out on its own with no particular mission. On occasion, a sereg’wethrin will break with its conditioning and go out on its own, but these members are hunted down by their units and destroyed.

Does this mean if I play a Sereg adventurer in the Underdark (maintaining a CN or CE alignment) I can expect to be attacked by Sereg units for going "A.W.O.L.?" Or is this covered by the conditioning quote from earlier and no longer applies as well?

3.) What's a Sereg's favored class?

4.) Can they become Arcane Archers?

5.) Do Sereg have a distinctive voice that would identify them as Sereg even with all skin covered (including hands, etc.)?

6.) Are Sereg K.o.S. in Kurathene? I'd imagine this is a moot point if humans are still K.o.S. to Sereg. :)

Thanks for your patience and spelling things out for me.

And if any eager-beavers want to respond to this before a Team member does, feel free to PM me. :wink:

1) You're right. Sereg still absolutely hate Humans (they have favoured enemy:humans as a racial trait)... but they have enough control now to not just KOS them.

2) two things: a) they are no longer super conditioned so it's moot,
b) this would be very hard to enforce.. but see a.. it's moot ;)

3) Umm I'm not entirely sure myself... I'd say anything that requires dex is a good class for sereg (rogue, ranger,etc) I'd say in my edumicated guesstimate that Ranger would likely be their favoured class.

4) Edit: As moredo said ghost elves don't get it, I think it requires elf or half-elf in the race field unfortunately.

5) I'd say, no. Although I think they are the only elven race in the underdark (could be wrong) so I don't think they'd be anymore differential than an elven voice.. well except that it might be a more tortured soul type of elven voice.

6) Yes and no?? In Kuras it's likely they've heard of them but have never actually encountered a Sereg so they not K.O.S.. as far as I know no sereg has gone to the Kurathene before and I would hope no Sereg would ever goto the Kurathene (unless they were part of an invasion force). Many of the fief lords however have encountered Sereg (myself included) and that would make them K.O.S in that respective fief.. it's really up the fief lords.

V~
Vian
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: spool32 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:37 pm

Fifty wrote:Related question.

How do Sereg *know* that Vasharans are Vasharans, not humans?

And what IC explanation is there for human visitors to Dark City not getting attacked my the Sereg down there?

Sereg "superconditioning" relied on the perception of the individual Sereg, so, they wouldn't know. I expect that the assumption will be made in DC that any human-looking person is Adomkuro (note: Vasharan is now a retired term - intellectual property issue I think). Either way, all PC sereg should hate humans but can still tolerate them without dying or feeling compelled to kill them. NPC Sereg could go either way, so humans rolled in DC should consider this. Humans visiting from the Overlight will have to go with what they ICly know.

-spool32
spool32

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: szabot » Tue May 30, 2006 10:41 pm

spool32 wrote:Adomkuro (note: Vasharan is now a retired term - intellectual property issue I think).

Is Adomkuro merely the official term in the sourcebook, but Vasharan is still used in game? Or should we be phasing out use of the term Vasharan in game? (Incidentally, a bunch of items one can purchase in the underdark are called Vasharan this and that, rather than Adomkuro.)
CoEMF
:devil:
Member of the MadKat Fan Club
szabot

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: MadK@ » Wed May 31, 2006 12:07 am

I had a question regarding the sereg appearance, was it intentional or a bug with the race golem making their skin grey instead of black?
MadK@
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: +8 GMT
DM Avatar: Xenon

PostAuthor: Tesh » Wed May 31, 2006 12:22 am

Appologies for chiming in here but I've got a better handle on the custom race system than most.

AFAIK both the Sereg'wethrin and Avariel CAN become Arcane Archers. This is because their underlying racial type is still elf while both Drangonari and Ghost Elves have their own unique racial types.

I have yet to test this theory but I an 99% certain that this is the case as I suspect that the pre-requisite check for AA looks for RACIAL_TYPE_ELF or RACIAL_TYPE_HALF_ELF.
Roland of Gilead wrote:I told you we deal in lead, and so we do. But that doesn't make us hired guns.

Belkar wrote:One order of gluttony with a side of coriuption, please.
Tesh
Quest Designer
Quest Designer

Timezone: GMT +12

PostAuthor: Speedracer » Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 am

What is the native language of the Sereg?

Where can I find info on undercommon? is it very different from common?

Can Sereg speak common, or just undercommon?

Speedracer

Location: Saskatchewan, Canada. Time never changes in the land of living skies.
Timezone: GMT -6 year round
DM Avatar: Maleki

PostAuthor: TiVO25 » Wed May 31, 2006 1:40 am

Thanks for the info. Another question, also from the thread mentioned up top:

Orleron wrote:Alignment : Sereg'wethrin eptimize the chaotic nature of their elven heritage. They tend toward neither good nor evil, maintaining and air of irrelevence towards most events. This is true unless you are speaking with a Human. Sereg'wethrin most certainly have an evil tendency with Humans in general.
(emphasis mine).

VS.

Orleron wrote:Alignment: Sereg'wethrin epitomize the chaotic nature of their elven heritage. They tend towards evil, because they pursue their goals without thought to the wider effects.

Which is it?

Thanks in advance.
You can't stop the signal.

"Every calling is great when greatly pursued."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
TiVO25
Sage

PostAuthor: Nob » Wed May 31, 2006 1:46 am

Please, most of this stuff is now comments and questions on world info material not ask the team.

Alignment: Sereg'wethrin epitomize the chaotic nature of their elven heritage. They tend towards evil, because they pursue their goals without thought to the wider effects.

Is the final word, as the thread indicates, the last post there is the final word. Consider it a major retcon if you will.
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: foxymole » Wed May 31, 2006 3:58 am

Speedracer wrote:What is the native language of the Sereg?

Where can I find info on undercommon? is it very different from common?

Can Sereg speak common, or just undercommon?

In general they can speak either common or T'Nanshi, but in combat situations they speak Drangonari. This is a technicality so that they cant be blamed on any particular nation in war time.

foxymole
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: spool32 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:01 am

szabot wrote:
spool32 wrote:Adomkuro (note: Vasharan is now a retired term - intellectual property issue I think).

Is Adomkuro merely the official term in the sourcebook, but Vasharan is still used in game? Or should we be phasing out use of the term Vasharan in game? (Incidentally, a bunch of items one can purchase in the underdark are called Vasharan this and that, rather than Adomkuro.)

I think the term will be getting phased out ingame, too. Orl uses the term Adomkuro on the team forums, so I expect the Team will all come to use it sooner or later. Better if we get the ball rolling now. Go ahead and submit Vasharan / Adomkuro bugs in conversation and descriptions, we'll get to them as time (and a downturn in more serious bugs) permits.

As always, anyone is welcome to submit a subcontractor app request and help us out with these!

-spool32
Success will be lovely, but you will have to go out and get it! Failure will invite itself in.

Your donation makes this sig possible!
Monthly donations help you Lose Weight Fast!
DM 101
spool32

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:51 am

FWIW, the Custom Character Golem calls them Vasharan. :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: itsabughunt » Wed May 31, 2006 5:59 am

Nighthawk4 wrote:FWIW, the Custom Character Golem calls them Vasharan. :wink:

Any chance that because of this I could someday lose the Vasharan character I've recently begun? It even says Vasharan on my character sheet I think.
itsabughunt

Timezone: GMT -8
DM Avatar: Aarilax

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Wed May 31, 2006 6:12 am

itsabughunt wrote:

Any chance that because of this I could someday lose the Vasharan character I've recently begun? It even says Vasharan on my character sheet I think.

Even if the Subrace name were to be changed in future, I feel sure this would not be allowed to happen. At least I hope not, as I have a Vasharan/Adomkuro character as well. :?

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: Brayon » Wed May 31, 2006 8:32 am

Nighthawk4 wrote:
itsabughunt wrote:

Even if the Subrace name were to be changed in future, I feel sure this would not be allowed to happen. At least I hope not, as I have a Vasharan/Adomkuro character as well. :?

If that were to happen, would we get rebuilds to change to the new subrace? My main is a Vasharan.

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Moredo » Wed May 31, 2006 2:38 pm

Vasharan and Adomkuro will/can be used in NWN Avlis interchangeably, but for official publications like the sourcebook, they will only be reffered to as Adomkuro since Vasharan is a trademarked term.
Always consider alignment as a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts the character.
— AD&D, 2nd Edition Player's Handbook
Moredo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: +2

PostAuthor: CPU » Wed May 31, 2006 2:39 pm

I would not worry about losing your character. Avlis does not purge it's character's vault. If push came to shove (due to copyright) I suspect those that had the Vasharan name would be changed by the Team to Adomkuro. Worst case scenario would be a rebuild (where a DM transfers the items, gold, XP, and crafting XP to a remade corrected character).

However, Avlis is using both terms interchangably. Due to copyright, it can't be added to the Avlis source materals. If something needs to be done to PC's in the future, the Team will surely make an announcement.

So, don't worry! :)
Avlis Housing Director
PM: Avlis Player Housing
Player Housing Information - This answers most questions people have. Please read this before asking.
CPU

PostAuthor: weeno » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:03 pm

ok, it was said that serege have black hair and black skin. I made mine that way but my skin looks more like...dark grey than black. Do sereg have to have PITCH black skin? or does the there skin have variation, such a humans have white-red-dark, sereg have greyish, light-black-pitch black?

weeno
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: spool32 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:18 pm

weeno wrote:ok, it was said that serege have black hair and black skin. I made mine that way but my skin looks more like...dark grey than black. Do sereg have to have PITCH black skin? or does the there skin have variation, such a humans have white-red-dark, sereg have greyish, light-black-pitch black?

You could make him purple with green hair, wouldn't matter.. the character generator enforces a specific skin-hair combination when you choose the Sereg subrace.
spool32

PostAuthor: DanishPastry » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:00 am

spool32 wrote:the character generator enforces a specific skin-hair combination when you choose the Sereg subrace.

This is true, unfortunately the chosen skin color is grey (looking). Is this intentional or should it be submitted as a bug?

Vampire/Sereg Humanoid/Psion/SD Crafters are cool, though.
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
DanishPastry

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: foxymole » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:17 am

the new sereg are a lot blacker than the old ones so i doubt its a bug

foxymole
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:07 pm

Q) With superconditioning being what it is ("Kill all humans because they are a threat to other cultures around them"), would the Sereg'wethrin be so quick to follow a Demon-God who out-and-out desires the death of every living thing on the planet?
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion