Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

Persistant Merchants Questions

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Persistant Merchants Questions

PostAuthor: drunkenpig » Tue May 17, 2005 6:35 pm

I've done some searches on the forums but haven't had luck finding info on the persistant merchants (huge number of results returned)

I have the following questions:

1. Can players implement persistant merchants yet?
2. Are the scripts provided for us or do we need to right our own scripts?
3. If provided, where do we get them from?

Thanks
Le'On Dracous
Wemic Barbarian / Sorcerer
Senior Journeyman - Avlis Arms and Armour Association
Apprentice - Guild for Advancement of Knowledge in Nature
Sorcerer - Red Order of the Flame

People just don't understand how difficult torture can be.
It's hell on the nails.
drunkenpig
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Psyco » Tue May 17, 2005 7:07 pm

1) not quite
2) neither. You will say what you want and the scripts will be added after you submit.
3) you don't, yet. But watch the housing thread for details. When they are announced it will probably be there.
Player Housing info - This answers most questions people have. Read this before asking.
Psyco
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: drunkenpig » Tue May 17, 2005 9:19 pm

Thanks for the quick answers, that helps me out a ton!!
Le'On Dracous

It's hell on the nails.
drunkenpig
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Avlis Player Housing » Tue May 17, 2005 10:07 pm

Psyco wrote:1) not quite
2) neither. You will say what you want and the scripts will be added after you submit.
3) you don't, yet. But watch the housing thread for details. When they are announced it will probably be there.

Everything he said. Look for pricing information on the Player Housing Rules and Guidelines thread later this week or early next week.
Avlis Housing Director
PM: Avlis Player Housing
Player Housing Information - This answers most questions people have. Please read this before asking.
Avlis Player Housing
Whiney Peasant

PostAuthor: szabot » Wed May 18, 2005 12:14 am

Can players only purchase a persistant merchant as part of player housing? Or, for example, can a player buy or rent a merchant to hang around in the market place or something like that?
szabot
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: Midknight » Wed May 18, 2005 1:09 am

You need a persistent container to go along with the merchant, as far as I know... so you'd still need to pay the costs for the container as well as the merchant.
"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation."
-George Bernard Shaw
Midknight
Scholar

PostAuthor: CPU » Wed May 18, 2005 3:08 am

Can players only purchase a persistant merchant as part of player housing? Or, for example, can a player buy or rent a merchant to hang around in the market place or something like that?

No. You cannot buy a P-merchant and have him stand around some part of Avlis. As players come and go, most would eventually be able to afford a merchant, the world would eventually fill with neglected P-merchants everywhere. Player houses / shops are a bit more complex, cost more, require more time / comitment player side to be able to afford and build. P-merchants can go in as a part of any shop, publically accessable areas only.

You need a persistent container to go along with the merchant, as far as I know... so you'd still need to pay the costs for the container as well as the merchant.

A p-merchant requires an "appraisal table." They cannot operate without one. However, the table is not a storage device per se. The appraisal table is included in the cost, because a p-merchant without his appraisal table is not a functional P-merchant. The table will more then likely be plot, However, the merchant will not. He will be killable and raisable (leaves a corpse), like many of the merchants in the markets.

What a player will need to do, is make the appropriate NPC, CR 1/8th. Player housing will hook up the scripting required to make the NPC a p-merchant. Specialized or individualized conversations will not be available on P-merchants, although this may change at a later date.
Avlis Housing Director
Player Housing Information - This answers most questions people have. Please read this before asking.
CPU

PostAuthor: CPU » Wed May 18, 2005 3:17 am

While I'm at it here, If you want the storage functionality of a p-merchant, but you want it in a non-public area, there are the new improved Persistent Chests. The EP-Chest functions like a p-merchant only it does not buy and sell. It stores items only. Like the p-merchant, it is text based system (there is not pictures of the item stored, there is a text description of the item, i.e., Healers Kit +3)

They'll come in a couple of flavors, one that only allows someone with the right key into the chest, and another that allows for anyone to add items in (dontate items), but not be able to take them out. Only the proper keyholder will be able to take them out.

These chests will be treated like regular p-chests in that you'll also pay for the attributes of the chest itself.
Last edited by CPU on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avlis Housing Director
CPU

PostAuthor: CPU » Wed May 18, 2005 3:22 am

Want to store your OOGLES of gold? Try a piggybank. It is also a text based system that allows you to safely store your gold. It is most useful for guilds that have treasuries, but can be used by the player that does not want to keep large sums of cash on them for various reasons.

The basic style is a CEP safe placeable, although it can be placed on chests or crates.
Avlis Housing Director
CPU

PostAuthor: Final Shinryuu » Wed May 18, 2005 5:11 am

CPU wrote: You cannot buy a P-merchant and have him stand around some part of Avlis. As players come and go, most would eventually be able to afford a merchant, the world would eventually fill with neglected P-merchants everywhere. Player houses / shops are a bit more complex, cost more, require more time / comitment player side to be able to afford and build. P-merchants can go in as a part of any shop, publically accessable areas only.

Quick question for clarafication.
Once they are priced and ready, would a player be able to hire a P-Merchant to be put not inside their housing, but insead right outside, at the entrance to their housing? I was thinking a merchant and a cart (the appraisial device) right outside the entrance to Feril's lair, for example.
Final Shinryuu
Sage

PostAuthor: Jorik Ambrose » Wed May 18, 2005 5:15 am

CPU wrote:While I'm at it here, If you want the storage functionality of a p-merchant, but you want it in a non-public area, there are the new improved Persistent Chests. The EP-Chest functions like a p-merchant only it does not buy and sell. It stores items only. Like the p-merchant, it is text based system (there is not pictures of the item stored, there is a text description of the item, i.e., Healers Kit +3)

They'll come in a couple of flavors, one that only allows someone with the right key into the chest, and another that allows for anyone to add items in (dontate items), but not be able to take them out. Only the proper keyholder will be able to take them out.

These chests will be treated like regular p-chests in that you'll also pay for the attributes of the chest itself.

So these are available for players? I was under the impression it would be guilds only, but is fantastic if it is for players.

Any idea of the prices, I have used one of these for a guild and they work a treat! These also sort things alphabetically from memory don't they, an added benfit :)
Jorik Ambrose
Sage

PostAuthor: szabot » Wed May 18, 2005 7:30 am

Oh man, I totally had the wrong idea about this. So, guilds or players with housing (or shops) will be able to purchase persistant merchants, but nobody else will be able to do so (without purchasing player housing beforehand). I think I was mislead by or misunderstood many, if not all, of the previous references to p-merchants over the last many months or so. I got the impression that these would make some large contribution or change to the economy, but I don't see how that will be the case. Seems a few players will use these, but that's all. Or is there something else to them?
szabot

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Wed May 18, 2005 11:52 am

Players may not own p-merchants in 'public' areas. In the future, we may provide some rentable ones in the various open-air marketplaces but that's a ways off.

Yes, the inventories are alpha sorted.
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: CPU » Wed May 18, 2005 3:50 pm

szabot wrote:Oh man, I totally had the wrong idea about this. So, guilds or players with housing (or shops) will be able to purchase persistant merchants, but nobody else will be able to do so (without purchasing player housing beforehand). I think I was mislead by or misunderstood many, if not all, of the previous references to p-merchants over the last many months or so. I got the impression that these would make some large contribution or change to the economy, but I don't see how that will be the case. Seems a few players will use these, but that's all. Or is there something else to them?

They will. I don't see what you're missing. Instead of PlayerX needing to be logged in 24/7 doing nothing but waiting around his shop to sell healing supplies, PlayerX can hire a P-merchant to man his shop. PlayerX can then go craft more healing kits, go adventure, talk (RP) with other people outside his shop, log off and sleep in RL. The folks in Europe, who never would have purchased Healing Kits from PlayerX due to a time zone difference, find his shop to always be well stocked, and someone always there to buy from, and to sell crafting components to. Multiply this by a 2000 player base.

Not everyone should have their own p-merchant. Not everyone should be a merchant, the same way not everyone should be a fighter, or cleric or psion. However, the possibility still exists for you to do so. Again, you'll need to devote yourself to creating and purchasing a shop and p-merchant, and spend time making or bartering / collecting the proper wares to sell.

Remember, Zacharia FeatherFingers didn't log on with Boots of Speed and +5 everything. He became Avlis richest Halfling because his character spent long hours dedicated to being a merchant. And he didn't even have the benefits of having a P-merchant available.

Regarding costs: I am still researching the boards for discussions on costs, but it looks like p-merchants and IP-chests will have initial costs starting around the same costs p-chests and display cases. This will give you a limited amount of storage space, less then a normal p-chest. Size or storage capacity and number of items held, is expandable in-game through conversations with your p-merchant / IP-Chest. You can have infinite storage and display capabilities if you have enough gold.

And Final Shinryuu, although PlasmaJohn already answered this, no, you cannot have a p-merchant in an outside public location. Owning a home does not qualify one to place a p-merchant anywhere outside that home. It must be placed in the property that is your player housing. And the area that the p-merchant is in, inside your player home should be accessable to the general public (no locking away people in your attic). If you want infinite storage in a backroom, you'd select an EP-Chest.

(There are exceptions made for guilds to have p-merchants behind closed doors accessable only to guild members. This is done on a case by case basis.)
Last edited by CPU on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avlis Housing Director
CPU

PostAuthor: szabot » Wed May 18, 2005 5:22 pm

Found the thread that confused me: http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=39 ... t+merchant

Although its title and initial post are about p-merchants in player housing, much of the thread discusses the public p-merchant option, and that's what I remembered. :P

I still don't see it making much of a difference, since there will likely only be a few around, but I guess we'll see (and maybe we'll see more people opening up shops, too...I might even consider it). ;)
szabot

PostAuthor: bragir » Wed May 18, 2005 6:38 pm

CPU wrote:This will give you a limited amount of storage space, less then a normal p-chest. Size or storage capacity and number of items held, is expandable in-game through conversations with your p-merchant / EP-Chest. You can have infinite storage and display capabilities if you have enough gold.

How excatly is the storage capacity limited ?
Total number of items or a set number of different items ?
(EG. 200 cloth is a full IP-chest or 10 different itemtypes with x of each)
Bragir Huginstunge
--------------------------------------------------------
Ashen Order of Tthe Stars - (Former Great Mage of Arms)

Master of the AKN
--------------------------------------------------------

bragir
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Tigg » Wed May 18, 2005 6:56 pm

Wow this sounds so great I am wiping the drool!

I wonder what it will do to the economy? Make it better I bet!

:) :)
Tigg
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Bigdaddy037 » Wed May 18, 2005 8:31 pm

How excatly is the storage capacity limited ?
Total number of items or a set number of different items ?
(EG. 200 cloth is a full IP-chest or 10 different itemtypes with x of each)

Both: you are limited to the number of items AND the number of "Squares" you can use.

to use your example above, your 200 cloth would take 1 items AND 200 squares. 10 Potions of Cure light wounds would be 1 item AND 2 squares, since potions and arrows stack in inventory.
Signature has been wiped do to invalid url reference...

Bigdaddy037
Scholar

PostAuthor: drunkenpig » Fri May 20, 2005 12:26 am

CPU wrote:no, you cannot have a p-merchant in an outside public location. Owning a home does not qualify one to place a p-merchant anywhere outside that home. It must be placed in the property that is your player housing.

along this line, can a sign be placed outside our home that says something along the line of "My Store Inside" so that people know a store is inside. Otherwise, they'd have to try every door in a city to find the ones a store is in, and if the tried it on monday and the store imported on wednesday, they may never go back and check that location again.
Le'On Dracous

It's hell on the nails.
drunkenpig
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: CPU » Fri May 20, 2005 2:09 am

drunkenpig wrote:
CPU wrote:no, you cannot have a p-merchant in an outside public location. Owning a home does not qualify one to place a p-merchant anywhere outside that home. It must be placed in the property that is your player housing.

along this line, can a sign be placed outside our home that says something along the line of "My Store Inside" so that people know a store is inside. Otherwise, they'd have to try every door in a city to find the ones a store is in, and if the tried it on monday and the store imported on wednesday, they may never go back and check that location again.

The quote is about p-merchants only. Many players have shops with signs on the outside. This is not a problem to place, (it is extra work for Housing, and MC's) but is placed for the reasons you mentioned above..
Avlis Housing Director
CPU

PostAuthor: drunkenpig » Fri May 20, 2005 3:43 am

CPU wrote:The quote is about p-merchants only. Many players have shops with signs on the outside. This is not a problem to place, (it is extra work for Housing, and MC's) but is placed for the reasons you mentioned above..

thought so, just wanted to make sure! can't wait to get my house and merchants up and running!!!
Le'On Dracous

It's hell on the nails.
drunkenpig
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Xandor Amakiir » Fri May 20, 2005 7:11 am

Cant wait to hire me a nice elven las to sell and buy the basic scrolls for me. Maybe even an half-dryad, she can sweat talk the custemers way better then i ever can :P...

Xandor
Journeyman to the AKN
Skald of Fury
Owner of the Lore Shop "Elysia"

Stories of a 1001 planes...

Xandor Amakiir
Silver Member

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Fri May 20, 2005 12:41 pm

Xandor Amakiir wrote:... Maybe even an half-dryad, she can sweat talk the custemers way better then i ever can :P...

:shock: Whoa, hey now, that's not in their contract... :mrgreen:
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Fri May 20, 2005 12:41 pm

PlasmaJohn wrote:
Xandor Amakiir wrote:... Maybe even an half-dryad, she can sweat talk the custemers way better then i ever can :P...

I was under the impression those types of PMerchants were a lot more expensive :shock:
Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Xandor Amakiir » Fri May 20, 2005 12:47 pm

Alphonse wrote:
PlasmaJohn wrote:

I was under the impression those types of PMerchants were a lot more expensive :shock:

*Grins*

He :P it isnt my fault those mages are for ever locked up in their tower's studying (lets not start by trying tho phantom why wizards always want a tower :P) it helps to sel scrolls if you put a nice lass there, less atention on their purse then...
Journeyman to the AKN
Skald of Fury
Owner of the Lore Shop "Elysia"

Stories of a 1001 planes...

Xandor Amakiir
Silver Member

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion