Alvis upgrade to 1.61 SoU

Avlis Headlines - www.avlis.org

Moderator: Event DM

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

Post by Starslayer_D » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:56 pm

I use Bioware dialok.tlk, as no Avlis one for 1.61 has ben relased yet.
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Post by Jordicus » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:58 pm

Starslayer_D wrote:I use Bioware dialok.tlk, as no Avlis one for 1.61 has ben relased yet.
that is good to know.. that of course makes me wonder if the people having trouble had the Avlis dialog.tlk file installed when they took their levels. anyone?
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Sindol

Post by Sindol » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:32 am

Avlis has instructed people to have the classes.2da file in their override directory. This folder gets back-upped when you install HotU, but could be a part of the problem for people that just updated to 1.61 without HotU.

My observation: I tried to do the HotU original single player campaign with a dwarven fighter (to be dwarven defender), but I didn't get the fighter bonus feats with the bioware dialog.tlk (otherwise the PrCs won't even show up). This was solved after I removed the classes.2da from the override folder.

This was the class.2da from the CoPaPHak v1.0 by the way. Maybe the one from v2.0 will work, didn't try that yet.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Starslayer_D
Master Sage

Post by Starslayer_D » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:04 pm

No Class.2da in the hak rar. :(
Sindol

Post by Sindol » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:06 pm

Starslayer_D wrote:No Class.2da in the hak rar. :(
Sorry.. the file is classes.2da. Small typo.
So much fun,
- Sindol
Starslayer_D
Master Sage

Post by Starslayer_D » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:15 pm

Neverthelss, nothing ever remotely resembling that is in there :) Sorry, I took typos into account when checking.

I am right now desperately seeking a thread on where to find the stuff and how to set it up as you mentioned. MAybe we need a welcome forum, with stickyx threads on: technical set-up, common rules, Avlis special rules, the FAQ's... right now these things are scattered all over the pace :(
GreyLynx
Elder Sage
Timezone: EDT (GMT-5)

Post by GreyLynx » Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:21 pm

The Avlis ftp site has the classes.2da file available on its own.
It's in the hakpaks folder in the public downlaods folder.
Sindol

Post by Sindol » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:00 pm

GreyLynx wrote:The Avlis ftp site has the classes.2da file available on its own.
It's in the hakpaks folder in the public downlaods folder.
And that's exactly what I mean. That file on the FTP is extracted from the CoPaPHak1.0, while Avlis is now running on CoPaPHak2.0 if I understood right. The classes.2da from the CoPaPHak1 does not have the prestige classes from HotU, the version from CoPaPhak2 does.
So much fun,
- Sindol
GreyLynx
Elder Sage

Post by GreyLynx » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:26 pm

Sindol, I'm having trouble finding a classes.2da associated with CoPaPhak2. When I download and extract it, all I get is the hak file. Am I doing something wrong?
Sindol

Post by Sindol » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:32 pm

GreyLynx wrote:Sindol, I'm having trouble finding a classes.2da associated with CoPaPhak2. When I download and extract it, all I get is the hak file. Am I doing something wrong?
No, the hak file is all there is in that package. That's where Starslayer_D had the problem too. You see: Hak files are packages themselves. They are packages of NWN resources. If you go into your NWN directory, you will see a folder named utils. In that folder is a program named nwhak.exe. This program can be use to add, delete or export the resources from or to a hak package.

If you use this program to open CoPaPHak2_0.hak, you will find that this hak package is composed mainly of all the 2da resources for CoPaP worlds, including the elusive classes.2da. Export this resource from the hak to your override folder.

You will notice that the independent classes.2da from the version 2.0 is 82k, while the one on the FTP site (from version 1.0) is only 50k.
So much fun,
- Sindol
GreyLynx
Elder Sage

Post by GreyLynx » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:38 pm

Hey, thanks! Are there any other resources that need to be exported from this or the other haks?
Sindol

Post by Sindol » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:51 pm

GreyLynx wrote:Hey, thanks! Are there any other resources that need to be exported from this or the other haks?
Uhm, no.. normally all resources in a hak are automatically used instead of the standards NWN resources if that hak is included in the module you run.

Why then do we use this one in override? Well, I didn't do the programming, so I'm not 100% sure of this, but this is what I think was what caused it: Somehow, due to some bioware problem, the normal method didn't work for the detect evil ability of paladins, that's why the classes.2da was originally put into override. Most people shouldn't even need it, unless they play a paladin (and maybe some of the holy warrior PrCs).

Orleron or Themicles can correct me on this, as they did all those modifications for their servers' haks.
So much fun,
- Sindol
PHX-BadAsh

Other things I've noticed with the Custom Content .EXE

Post by PHX-BadAsh » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:50 pm

since I have added the Avlis Custom Content in anticipation of getting accepted to the Avlis server I have noticed 2 major things. 1 is that all of the epic level skills and feats are missing from character level up (which I believe is in relation to the Avlis dialoge.tlk not being HotU'ified yet) and the HotU PrC are also missing (which is related to the whole classes.2da) thing. From the sounds of it I can update the classes.2da file to fix the PrC problem but what about the dialoge.tlk file?
Jordicus

Post by Jordicus » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:14 pm

it will not be updated until we do teh final update to HoTU
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
GreyLynx
Elder Sage

Re: Other things I've noticed with the Custom Content .EXE

Post by GreyLynx » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:55 am

PHX-BadAsh wrote:since I have added the Avlis Custom Content in anticipation of getting accepted to the Avlis server I have noticed 2 major things. 1 is that all of the epic level skills and feats are missing from character level up (which I believe is in relation to the Avlis dialoge.tlk not being HotU'ified yet) and the HotU PrC are also missing (which is related to the whole classes.2da) thing. From the sounds of it I can update the classes.2da file to fix the PrC problem but what about the dialoge.tlk file?
To see the epic level feats, make sure you have the official NWN dialog.tlk file present, rather than the custom Avlis version. I belive the only disadvantage you'll have if you do this is that certain custom Avlis content won't be available - for example you won't be able to select custom Avlis PrC's, or generate a custom race character. But that doesn't sound like those are an issue right now for you. Later, when an updated Avlis dialog.tlk comes out (likely to be announced in this forum), you can swap out again.
Draegloth
Scholar of Fools
Timezone: GMT -8

Post by Draegloth » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:28 am

So uhh... Whens the update to HOTU? End of January has come and gone. And the end of February is drawing near. I'm not expecting a exact date but maybe a rough ball park figure or just a "were working on it very hard" or a goto hell and we'll get it done faster. Basically any post with the word HOTU from someone who is directly linked to the progress being made will make me quiet for ... a longer period of time. :D
terryrayc
Sage

Post by terryrayc » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:43 am

due to issues with the 1.61 patch we are waiting for the 1.62 patch which is currently in beta. Once that's live and tested and everything is ported then you'll see avlis moved to hotu. I know you want a time frame but there isn't one to give....remember part of the wait is on the 1.62 patch and we have no idea when that will be out of beta and final.

Themicles
CoPaP Ambassador

Post by Themicles » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:44 am

Update to HotU will be shortly before, or shortly after 1.62.
Why? They are waiting mostly on me and my updates to the CoPaP and Universal haks. Since there are 2da changes in 1.62, I'll need a final version of the 1.62 2das before I release the new haks.

-Themicles
A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future.

And some wise words from a wise man. :P
Orleron wrote:You have to excuse Themi. Tact, diplomacy, and softness are not his best traits, but he does not mean anything by his writing. He's a nice guy. You just get used to it after a while because he doesn't seem to learn. :)
Draegloth
Scholar of Fools
Timezone: GMT -8

Post by Draegloth » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:50 am

Thank you for responding so quickly. And actually I wasn't expecting a timeframe really. Just some, any, information on the progress. Heh I've been coming on here every day after work diving and digging for clues. You gave me exactly what I need to hear though. Thanks again.
Themicles
CoPaP Ambassador

Post by Themicles » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:53 am

You may want to try removing the classes.2da from your override if its causing problems with you playing anywhere else, including single player. Its mainly a work around to a bug with custom races. And honestly, I've never needed the work around myself. In any case, the crash in question is fixed in 1.62... :)

-Themicles
A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future.

And some wise words from a wise man. :P
Orleron wrote:You have to excuse Themi. Tact, diplomacy, and softness are not his best traits, but he does not mean anything by his writing. He's a nice guy. You just get used to it after a while because he doesn't seem to learn. :)
Spell Singer
Sage

Post by Spell Singer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:08 pm

It is absolutely required to remove those avlis overrides (such as the ones that give the paladin detect evil) as it messes up completely the situation for single player and playing in other places!!!

I wondered why curse song was not showing up and figured it was an epic only feat and then got shown it was not.

In SP my epic paladin did not remain such and I have to replay the ending of chapter 2 and start of chapter 3 *sigh*

If you need the avlis overrides to play on avlis just remember to remove them before playing off avlis.
sinn
Elder Sage

Post by sinn » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:26 am

Jordicus wrote:it will not be updated until we do teh final update to HoTU
any idea on when that will be :)
you can run all your life, but not go anywhere.
Scurvy_Platypus
Scholar

Post by Scurvy_Platypus » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:25 am

As has been stated previously, it will be sometime after the 1.62 patch. The 1.62 patch will be fixing some things that we need for our custom files to work properly. Once the 1.62 patch comes out, we'll be able to modify the files we need to and go from there.