Total players: 6
Gallery
  • Winter Ball 2015
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Links Menu

Players dming their npcs

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Players dming their npcs

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:13 am

Subject: Summons, owners, evidence...
Gairus wrote:*said a bunch of stuff, then:* Is it out of line to emote about such a summon 'flying away' and then unsummon it as many people do with familiars?

Sunscream wrote:*in reply to this* You shouldn't emote anything for your dragon as this is entering speaking for NPC's territory.

I obviously shortened the quotes there, so please read the provided link so I'm not accused of taking it out of context.

I found out recently (mostly because I didn't know players could do it until now) that players can emote through any summon or companion without possessing them. The rule is clear on speaking for npcs (top of the rules list), so my question is why is this allowed? I love the system, but thought it was a dm only thing until now. Even a pc emoting for an unpossessed familiar is crossing the line.

Summons and animal companions are npcs. We have CTS for animal training (with included failures and hostile responses) and I assume at least some summoned creatures would be annoyed at a pc summoning them for their personal use. Letting us emote for them to show their loving reactions (when they may or may not want to tear us a new hole) is very much dm territory. They may obey pc commands, but the rest isn't our call.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

Re: Players dming their npcs

PostAuthor: spool32 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:28 am

Because animal companions aren't the same as summons is my first thought. As opposed to summons, the animal companion IS the same every time, and can be ID'd. More sober heads will likely reply with better braining later tomorrow...
Success will be lovely, but you will have to go out and get it! Failure will invite itself in.

Your donation makes this sig possible!
Monthly donations help you Lose Weight Fast!
DM 101
spool32
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Krator » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 pm

Can I emote that my Paladin's horse is munching on some wildflowers?
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Missian » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Can I Emote with my wizards bat.. ?

*the bat is crawling away in Braq's ragged shirt due to daylight braking*

something like this and then unsummoning it..
Ripple Wanno, owner of "The Shadow Harlequin": Planar traveler, Interrests Illusions, Portals,..

I - Braq Strong Smart : Bloodkin Tribe Chieftain , Mighty Blood rager, Mage of Blood magic, Axe master,..

Missian
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Adament » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Can I have people leave messages with my npc merchant for me to receive?

Adament
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Timezone: gmt - 6

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:11 pm

This topic is getting ridiculous.

Please can a DM make a ruling on a system that's put in game for voice throwing for using animal companions/summons - if the system is IG, surely it's meant to be used. If you don't want it used, then maybe it's best to not have it in game.
Ghostie

PostAuthor: Kandi_Nulein » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:56 am

Oh noes!

I love talking and emoting for my summoned acheron. If I'm alone on a server I hold conversations with it, sounds sad I know, but you'd chat to to it if it could speak right? Otherwise it'd be plain rude...
Member of The Plethora Fanclub!

Currently playing: Roxxy (Kandi's ward), Flutterbye, a half sylph psion with a doll named Norman and Mungo Buggins, a rotund Hin with a pie eating problem.
Kandi_Nulein
Scholar

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: kombinat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:23 pm

We've had a discussion on the matter and this is the Team stance on summons, companions and emoting.

For companions and familiars, players can emote anything they like, keeping in mind Rule 0 (Common sense is a rule)

For summons, players can emote actions, but can't speak for or express emotions for their summons... the summon may or may not be happy to be there, regardless of alignment or reason, and the player can't dictate their reaction. Rule 0 applies here as well.
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team