Uploaded by: Hamlet
    Uploaded: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:39 am

Links Menu

Forum upgrade - Completed

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Forum upgrade - Completed

PostAuthor: avliswebadmin » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:54 am

Alright.. you may have noticed that the forum looks different! The bulk of the forum upgrade is complete for all of the underlying framework. There are still things to tweak over the coming days that are theme related and possibly board settings related. Currently there is one darker theme enabled for the board. Once all of the kinks are ironed out, we'll try to put up a lighter colored theme as well.

A few new things:

-The new site uses cookies.. a lot.. so you may need those enabled to get all of the functionality.

-You can hide the portal blocks on the left hand side with the small blue arrow. You can also rearrange the blocks if you'd like and reset your layout in the user control panel Portal tab if you mess it up badly.

-There are some new more useful menu options based on previous feedback.

-We now have the ability to create your own gallery of images. I created two default galleries for DM event images and Player artwork. Feel free to test drive these and your own through the user control panel under the Gallery tab

-Server totals should update every 5 minutes from the live servers. Down the road we may try to expand the information there.

As this is a work in progress, please post any questions, report any problems and feel free to offer suggestions to be taken under consideration. Most of what is here has come from our player's feedback. There are a few theme fixes in the works already for some of the icons.

Thanks for your patience and game on!
-krackq
avliswebadmin
Scholar of Fools

Re: Forum upgrade -

PostAuthor: Tel » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 am

Since "your posts" updates based on the latest post in any thread that you ever posted in, I've started to bookmark threads that I post in repeatedly. It would be nice if Bookmarks/Subscriptions was an option on the portal page (potentially under your posts / new posts).

Also I LOVE the server totals!
Tel
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Forum upgrade - Completed

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:37 am

Looking good!
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Missian » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 am

sweet stuff.. }8)
Ripple Wanno, owner of "The Shadow Harlequin": Planar traveler, Interrests Illusions, Portals,..

I - Braq Strong Smart : Bloodkin Tribe Chieftain , Mighty Blood rager, Mage of Blood magic, Axe master,..

Missian
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:33 am

Looks good on a tablet! My only question is, how do I change the theme from being black/dark to how I had it set up on the old forum? (Blueish/white theme) I had a look in my profile settings and couldn't see anything there to change it.
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.
Ghostie
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:53 am

Ghostie wrote:Looks good on a tablet! My only question is, how do I change the theme from being black/dark to how I had it set up on the old forum? (Blueish/white theme) I had a look in my profile settings and couldn't see anything there to change it.

There is only one option right now Ghostie. They are working on another one.

*Tries to think of a joke about Model A cars but hasn't have coffee yet*
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Xiaou » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:36 pm

krackq if someone hasn't mentioend the active topics not seemingly working, can you make a quick post in the forum thread about it

*is helping, is a helper* :wink:

Fixed -Avliswebadmin
Xiaou

Timezone: GMT -7

PostAuthor: avliswebadmin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 pm

A couple of updates:

-Moved User profile block to the right side of forum posts instead of inline above the post. It seems less messy and cluttered that way. I figured the right side would be better than the left because the left side already has the portal blocks taking up some screen real estate.

-The active topics link should now be working. Each relevant forum area had to be enabled for Active Topics. A thanks to Gorgon for giving me the heads up on the script to automatically set this so I didn't have to manually change 274 forum areas. If a forum area does not show up that should be in there or is showing up that should not.. just let me know.

More to come. Feel free to post here with issues, comments and suggestions as we'll take everything under consideration. A few others mentioned already are alternative forum theme (lighter one perhaps) and possibly a bookmarks/subscriptions link.
avliswebadmin
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Is there any way to make the Forum path larger and perhaps a different colour please? - i.e. (in this case) Forum . The Avlis Project [NWN] . The Avlis Project: General Discussion

Small text in gray on black is not helpful for :opa:

Also, the 'PostReply' button is not clear - although I suppose we will get used to that :ka:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: llhht » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:55 pm

A light/medium grey background for quotes would be cool. I can barely tell them apart from the background black currently.

In post links need to be a different color than normal text. No way to know what they are currently without hovering.
Yarr!
llhht
CCC
CCC

Timezone: Central (-5)

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:38 pm

I'd like to see a 'view new posts' link instead of ... or next to ... the 'view your posts' link at the top. Personally I never look back through my posts, unless i'm looking for a secret board, but I use the view new posts on every visit. It's not prominent enough at the moment as you seem to need to click on 'forum' and then new posts.. As it is now I'm manually using my browser history to find new posts made of the forums.
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.
Ghostie

PostAuthor: llhht » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Ghostie wrote:I'd like to see a 'view new posts' link instead of ... or next to ... the 'view your posts' link at the top. Personally I never look back through my posts, unless i'm looking for a secret board, but I use the view new posts on every visit. It's not prominent enough at the moment as you seem to need to click on 'forum' and then new posts.. As it is now I'm manually using my browser history to find new posts made of the forums.

^ Would be great.
Yarr!
llhht
CCC
CCC

Timezone: Central (-5)

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:26 pm

Ghostie wrote:I'd like to see a 'view new posts' link instead of ... or next to ... the 'view your posts' link at the top. Personally I never look back through my posts, unless i'm looking for a secret board, but I use the view new posts on every visit. It's not prominent enough at the moment as you seem to need to click on 'forum' and then new posts.. As it is now I'm manually using my browser history to find new posts made of the forums.

This would be good :up:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: Tel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:25 pm

I know we have an Event Calendar link in the Avlis Navigator tab, would it be possible to have a 1 / 3 or 7 day widget thingie which can be placed on the boards? To show today, Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow, or entire week (rolling, or calender week)

I know that's a lot of different options there, we had the rolling week on the forums for the old system but we've lost that in the change over. With the streamlining of the portal page though I think it would make a nice widget thing to go with server totals (which are AWESOME!)
Tel
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT-6

PostAuthor: Grunt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Nice work! :D
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:03 am

The 1 and 7 day view is already on the calendar, and 3 is unlikely because of how everything is set up. Calendar stuff will be coming again to the bottom of pages that had it before, and will even be in that tabbed box thing this theme has now (for all of them), with more new stuff (eventually). A portal box is also done for it, that you can move around.

If you mean selectable view for recent posts, like the old smartDark had, that is simply view active topics with selectable days. Look at the bottom of the page after clicking it and you get the same options (you can also bookmark something like 2 weeks instead of the default 7 days... I use that as my main bookmark here every time I check the forum).
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: avliswebadmin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm going to temporarily disable the left hand side gallery block on the forums. I'm trying to trace down the culprit for a bunch of page not found or no data blank pages that appear randomly. It will be back later today after I let the forum run for a few hours so i can watch the logs.

thanks!
avliswebadmin
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:34 am

Make the page style options persistent for larger font sizes (that is what the font size icon on the top right switches as well). It should be easy to add to the main cookie for the site.

*This is mostly a reminder for myself, unless someone else gets to it first.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:35 am

This please:

Nighthawk4 wrote:Can we please have the name of the individual sections of the Forum, i.e. the path to a specific thread in larger text?

Also, can we make the name of the Sender and Recipient of PMs larger?

Hard to read for those with old eyes :opa:

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: avliswebadmin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:18 pm

The gallery block is back (it was only gone for a few minutes). Also, I think I've eliminated the random blank page problem or empty response pages that forced you to refresh occasionally.
avliswebadmin
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:21 am

Quick tip for any of you that use adblock or something similar, and if you don't like all the new phpbb smiley faces for users without an avatar. You can block the whole no_avatar directory for the forum, instead of just the individual images (there are 10 of them). Adblock plus suggests doing exactly that if you right click any of them and use block image, and the same option is available with most other blockers or element hiding tools. :good:

If you like big toothed grinning yellow happiness, ignore me. :flucht:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: avliswebadmin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

the big yellow no avatar silliness must go...
avliswebadmin
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm

I use a smartphone a lot (don't we all) and for mobile moving the Post Since Last Visit away from Logout would be great. In fact, move everything away from logout.

Is there a mobile theme for this phpBB system?

Thanks!
ACTIVE CHARACTERS: Casey Landry, Jessie Morrice
SOMETIMES CHARACTERS: Silinde, Luthias
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 pm

http://www.kiss-portal-styles.com/styledemo/index.php
Demo page for a bunch of styles (themes as you call them) that work with the new portal. There are a few specifically for mobile devices there, so mention any you like and maybe krackq will add them. Not sure how well our calendar will work in them, but that can be tweaked eventually.

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Wart » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 pm

Gorgon wrote:http://www.kiss-portal-styles.com/styledemo/index.php
Demo page for a bunch of styles (themes as you call them) that work with the new portal. There are a few specifically for mobile devices there, so mention any you like and maybe krackq will add them. Not sure how well our calendar will work in them, but that can be tweaked eventually.

Subsilver2, please.
Wart
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Timezone: GMT -7

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion