Total players: 0
Gallery
  • Search for the Spiritkin Thistle
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:07 am

Links Menu

Attacking npc's and hostile settings

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Attacking npc's and hostile settings

PostAuthor: Sears610 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:06 am

Gorr Team,

Had this happen a few times to me and was wondering what the proper thing to do was. So the question.

Should a pc that attacks NPC's in front of pc's then runs away have to set hostile first to the pcs in the area?

I have asked a few people but have been told there is no rule about it or the IDK answer. I kinda see it as paralleling the pickpocket rule of setting hostile first. Because trying to chase someone and fumble with hostile is hard to do. But looking for the team stance on this. Thanks!

Sears610
Sears610
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: +3

Re: Attacking npc's and hostile settings

PostAuthor: Cougar » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 pm

A great question, but I have something more to add.

How are we suppose to know whom all to add as hostile if we do not know before hand whom all are present in a given area? The only way I can see around this is to only do such with a DM present. I am very open to any ideas and await the Team's answers.
I will survive - drunken style
Member of the MadKat / Ghostie / Plethora / Olaf fan club
Cougar
Sage

Timezone: CST

Re: Attacking npc's and hostile settings

PostAuthor: korak » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:26 pm

In my view, I see no reason that the PC should have to hostile the other PCs. This is not an attack against the PC, but against an NPC. If this was the case then I would say that a PC would need to hostile every PC around when they plan on attacking a certain PC.

For example:

Bob is standing near Jane, Joe, Cal and Sherri.

Bob decides to attack Jane because of something that she said. This has nothing to do with the other three so I see no reason that Bob should have to set them hostile as well. Now if the other three want to take the side of Jane then they would need to set Bob hostile.

Now you could replace 'Jane' with NPC. In my view, this works the same. Their may be some other viewpoints from the team that will change my mind, but this is my first stance from reading your question.

Scott
I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello?), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice-mail. What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?
korak
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: -5

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team