Mikona - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Possible DM Favorism?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:49 am

If there is a choice between characters/players that give them a huge hard time, cause trouble...

The above mentioned players come to my attention and I give them great favoritism.

Then there is the watchlist....which everyone seems to be terribly afraid of, but the watchlist is just that. A list of players to watch..it is NOT ...a list of players to be punished or a list of players to be ignored, though some watchlisted folke are certainly members of various ignore lists.

100% correct. The watchlist is a tool for us to track problems. Many of the enteries say things like "Ok, now that we have checked it out, there is no problem. Game On!". We also use it to track serial rule breakers, griefers, cheaters, exploiters and what not. Many of the folks who get a entry for one of these things get a warning or even some time in Vault Jail and never are a problem again. This is cool by us.
The last type we see are the ones who just never manage to get it, continue to break the rules (or what ever) and end up getting my undevided attention and then they find out why I have the title I do.
:twisted:

All DM's concentrate first on groups...because groups RP better than individuals...soloists will always recieve less attention from the DM's - sorry thats the nature of the beast.

Very true. When I am on I tend to scan the portrats at the right of the DM screen and look to see what area has the most players in it, and hten I jump there. If they are RPing along well and its not something that I can add to with interaction I cookie them and move on. If it is something I can add to I usualy will.

I am working on getting my copies of the haks current and then I am going to be DMing again. Anyone who feels excluded from DM attention can (once I announce that I am ready to go ) send me a PM with their characters name and what server they hang on and I will grant them an exclusive session with my favorite NPC's.
:)

BTW when I saw the title of this thread I said to myslef "I am prob going to have to delete this one, or cut all the posts except the first one, lock it and then add one that says "If you have a problem with one of the team..."

I was pleasently suprised that this has stayed constructive and informative. :)

Please keep it up. :)
Last edited by Alexandru Stanicu on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Jskee » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:51 am

Demonlady wrote:
Ellowin wrote:*sighs* I'm even sleeping with one of the DMs and I don't get favoritism

geez, what does a girl gotta do?

Ok, more seriously 8) , what everybody else said. Join guilds, slow down, give it time, get involved, etc. I've found that if you relax, play you pc well (stay ic), and go about doing your thing you'll find yourself with the opportunity to get involved with DM plots. You'll also be more likely to get tapped for those wonderful one off events if you're in a party and rp'ing.

All the best,
Mrs. spool32

*thinks mrs. Spool gets the DM attention when *not* online of course* ;-)

that's an abuse of the DM wand!!!!

Jskee
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: bonescott » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:51 am

IceThorn wrote:I just want to say that I prefer DMing n00bs. When I first log on as a DM I look for low level PCs to DM. Usually there's just some epics crafting something. If you're low level and running around (not standing in your inn room or crafting) then you'll be the first victim, er, you know what I mean. Actually, if you are crafting then your table might just explode. Be careful.

Remembers a wild solo ride through the beetle caves in Elysia one night.
:shock: :shock:
bonescott
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Cassandros » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 am

I love when i get the chance to be involved in a DM plot, but i think one of the main things DMs look for is players that are consistantly role playing, not just when they think a DM might be watching.

It is also depented on your character, if it is the sort of character that is going to make the DM have a bit of a chuckle then you can expect to get some more cookies :D
Currently Playing:
- Kalgar Darthvord
- Kalum Brekarian
Cassandros
Scholar

Timezone: +11

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:55 am

Alexandru Stanicu wrote:I am working on getting my copies of the haks current and then I am going to be DMing again. Anyone who feels excluded from DM attention can (once I announce that I a ready to go) send me a PM with their characters name and what server they hang on and I will grant them an exclusive session with my favorite NPC's.

*knows what Alex's favourite NPC's are and considers it for a few seconds before deciding its best not to get his attention*
Irreverence Awards 05 :most Ineffectual PC, honourable mention for most likely to give/recieve Spite

Islands of the Lost Head DM
Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 am

Alphonse wrote:
Alexandru Stanicu wrote:I am working on getting my copies of the haks current and then I am going to be DMing again. Anyone who feels excluded from DM attention can (once I announce that I a ready to go) send me a PM with their characters name and what server they hang on and I will grant them an exclusive session with my favorite NPC's.

*knows what Alex's favourite NPC's are and considers it for a few seconds before deciding its best not to get his attention*

Start with "S"....specifically with "N"...? :shock: :twisted: 8)
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:08 am

Khaelindra wrote:
Alphonse wrote:

Silk likes those.

Alex always liked something much more fun
Irreverence Awards 05 :most Ineffectual PC, honourable mention for most likely to give/recieve Spite

Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Dom Carr » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:20 pm

but they have ignore lists, why not favourite lists

Do you get told if youre on an ignore list, and why then you could pull your socks up and try to be better? I guess favouritism is ok and only natural for the reasons given. And of course it should be characters not players, because the PC and the Dm in different guises have table top roleplayed together 25 years ago for instance. I know this doesnt happen and DMs have to be fair (although the poor DM whose partner plays must find it hard to be impartial!! he he) and are fair. Are watch lists different to ignore lists? Ignore lists seem to be a worse thing than favouritism if they exist and its just the DMs personal gripes with people. Couldnt they say whats the matter and sort it out? Such as a tell saying "youd get more cookies if you didnt spam the talk channel with emotes" or "DMs dont like that kind of metagaming action"

Im sure that these comments will come back to bite me in the ass! :P But seriously, pointers would be nice. May help with the overall RP. Apart from that, as a relative newb, I have no grumbles whatsoever. I think things are great! :wink:
Jade Summerset
Valkirie
Warrior Maiden of Dre'Ana

Dom Carr
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Jorik Ambrose » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:37 pm

I just theorised that, I know I would ignore people that pissed me off, and I hear most of them are only human too ;)

I am sure if something annoys them, they might quietly ask you to change it, so no worries there :D
Jorik Ambrose
Sage

PostAuthor: Jonezie » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:45 pm

Dom Carr wrote:
but they have ignore lists, why not favourite lists

Do you get told if youre on an ignore list, and why then you could pull your socks up and try to be better? I guess favouritism is ok and only natural for the reasons given. And of course it should be characters not players, because the PC and the Dm in different guises have table top roleplayed together 25 years ago for instance. I know this doesnt happen and DMs have to be fair (although the poor DM whose partner plays must find it hard to be impartial!! he he) and are fair. Are watch lists different to ignore lists? Ignore lists seem to be a worse thing than favouritism if they exist and its just the DMs personal gripes with people. Couldnt they say whats the matter and sort it out? Such as a tell saying "youd get more cookies if you didnt spam the talk channel with emotes" or "DMs dont like that kind of metagaming action"

Ignore lists are private to each DM. We don't write them down, and we don't share them. Generally, they're players who have caused trouble for us in the past, and we no longer wish to deal with. As for telling people when they're on an ignore list, I don't know what anyone else does. I would assume if you have pissed a DM off enough to have them ignore you, you'll know about it. These aren't little things like spamming party chat that we're talking about - most DMs will just ask you politely to stop stuff like that. Also, the ignoring thing isn't about DMs playing favourites, but rather "how not to become grumpy, burnt out and insane."

The watchlist on the other hand is recorded, and lets us sort out people who may be griefing, exploiting, or otherwise breaking the rules. Having a watchlist entry doesn't mean you will be ignored - for most people, things will be sorted out and we'll never have any trouble ever again.
Jonezie
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Nightface » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:03 pm

Jskee wrote:
Demonlady wrote:
Ellowin wrote:*sighs* I'm even sleeping with one of the DMs and I don't get favoritism

geez, what does a girl gotta do?

Ok, more seriously 8) , what everybody else said. Join guilds, slow down, give it time, get involved, etc. I've found that if you relax, play you pc well (stay ic), and go about doing your thing you'll find yourself with the opportunity to get involved with DM plots. You'll also be more likely to get tapped for those wonderful one off events if you're in a party and rp'ing.

All the best,
Mrs. spool32

*thinks mrs. Spool gets the DM attention when *not* online of course* ;-)

that's an abuse of the DM wand!!!!

*Whistles quietly to himself and refrains from commenting about his relationship with Olaf and non-DM wands* :wink:
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."
-Adam Savage of Mythbusters

"You can hear what's on my lips,
But you don't know what's on my mind"
-Nellie McKay, from the song, Sari
Nightface
Sage

PostAuthor: Fire Monkey » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Tangleroot wrote:
TripleAught wrote:If you are just bored and want a DM to come entertain you... well, I hope you enjoying running through the streets naked.

Well, I do, but that doesn't seem to quarantee any dm love.

I think he means IG Tangle :wink:
Fire Monkey
Master Sage

PostAuthor: JJJ » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:03 pm

I think he means IG Tangle
ROFLMAO

JJJ
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Sable the White » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:07 pm

I can say that while I've not had a lot of DM attention, the DM attention I have had, has had a purpose. Being part of a group does bring in the attention, though being caught in those random events is nice, and I think it is plain luck, not favoritism. I have found the player base to be more giving, as there are way more players. Get involved and talk to people.
Sable 'The White' Witt, Favored Shaman of Ra-Ghul
Second High Fury Templar of Ra-Ghul, Sage and Elder
Sable the White
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Tony Wazz » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:42 pm

My experience has been that Random events give a few xp cookies. Planned events get one or two larger cookies.

Now I've been here for coming on two years, I've done major work on two different plots, and had actually lost sleep for work, reading and PMing people to make sure the appropriate people are informed and information is passed. From this, as someone mentioned previously, has yielded enough gifts from DMs to count on 0 hands. None.
Day-to-Day, I can think of 5 months of AKN initiations that lead to 1 cookie of 50 xp. But I did that work with the other players in mind, not my own benefit. So, while I am aware of it, I still do what I do there, for the other players.
As for major events, both my guilds have had several. One guild I am no longer too active in. It's just not worth it. The other guild is too much responsibility to just put down and walk away from, and I continue it because I enjoy helping the other players.

In another thought, I have had several nice things given to me by other players that I still use or wear. As they seemed to realize the point above, and took it upon themselves to give thanks in what way they could. I'll thank specifically, Hebrin, Siri, and Aerill. With an honorable mention to Fealith and Jand.

So, I'd say play for the game, and the players. Pretend there are no such things as DM's and you won't ever feel disappointed. I had more attention on PG sprees, than I ever have in RP sprees.

Play the game for the game and for the players. Get involved in Guilds, most of them can do you well. Stick around a while and someone will find they don't need or want something, if you are in the area; you get a nice thing from them. IF you really are DM invisible , as they can't be everywhere for everyone, You might be surprised to know that your friends ingame noticed it too, and they'll help ya.

The Gold of the game is in the players. Be a good player, the other players will notice. There are limited DM's. THey can't help that. THey have characters, too, and they also have RL on top of it all. Give them a break , and time.
Tony Wazz
Sage

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Grunt » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:30 pm

I will admit to slight DM favoritism. :(

Gurky and Icethorn are slightly higher as my favorite DMs because I have been DMed by them more than the others. Not to say any of you other DMs are bad, quite the contrary...you've been great!... but there's only ONE of me, and like 20 of YOU.

You have to realize, that to be fair, I try to hop onto as many servers as possible so you all get a chance to pwn me, but in a given week, sometimes it just isn't possible. I really have to apologize for that.

I've spoken to the team, trying to find a solution. I see we have tons of players, and I'm sure you can have a good time with them, pwning them. Please, try not to take this slight favoritism I have as anything but a result of circumstances such as timezones, guild duties, and the fact that you're invisible to me.

If you're a DM and you want attention from me, you could try starting small... a bolt of lightning gets my attention, but so does a 50xp cookie. If you start dropping loot all over me, I'll see that as patronizing and ignore you when you possess an NPC and try to talk to me. Please use good discretion.

Again, I'm sorry for the slight favoritism of these DMs, it's not intentional...I swear. Except for Snow. That's on purpose.

Love,

-Grunt
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Nob » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Khaelindra wrote:
Alphonse wrote:

No they start with a D and end with T...IIRC.
"Andrinor grant me the patience not to kill those who screw things up through stupidity, the power to incinerate those who screw things up on purpose, and the wisdom to distinguish between one and the other." -The War Mage's Serenity Prayer
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:37 pm

Nob wrote:
Khaelindra wrote:
Alphonse wrote:

No they start with a D and end with T...IIRC.

H E B IIRC :D

Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Micah » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:37 pm

Nob wrote:No they start with a D and end with T...IIRC.

Oooh! Can I buy a vowel?
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: Sinbadsam » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:28 pm

I have been playing on Avlis for almost 2 years now. Some things I have found out to be true.

Groups get more DM love.

Joining guilds gets you DM love,,example less than 3 days after one of my near epics joining the AKN, she was involved in a DM event near the AKn hall in Ferrell. She is roleplayed as a loner, so I do not mind if DM's give their attention to others that group together.

When she is near or with groups in a area, she tends to be not seen by most of the group hanging out there. :D But even then she has gotten love as a loner. :D

One time while she was enjoying the shadows, in a place that does not see the sun, she watched a newby mess with a chest that he did not have the skills to deal with, the newby got himself killed, a DM sent me a tell asking if I was a <Censored>. I replied no, the DM wanted to know if he needed to step in,,I said no. I walked over the dying newby and from the shadows, healed his wounds using a healing kit, Newby got up staggered around abit,,then I started speaking to him from the shadows. Once I got his attention, he streaked out of there. :D

Another time as she was enjoying the shadows around Mikona, she got to see a PC interact with a NPC The two parted and the NPC walked off, I followed the NPC and got to overhear an interesting conversation. :D

She has gotten cookies for that way she was "working" a house.

Another time when she was leaving a house that she had "worked" there were city guards just "Hanging Out" around the door as she left. She did not get any cookie but I got the "Thrill" getting away from that situation. :D

One thing I try to avoid with all my PC's is "crashing" a DM event, that none of my PC's had anything to do with.

I have been fortunate that the "few" times I have used the DM channel to ask a question or ask for a bit of DM time for something, I have gotten about a 70% response rate. Some of the time they just said they did not have time, or wait abit or they hepled me right away.

As everyone has said, best way to get DM Lov e is hang out with a group in a place that most "Hang Out" at. :twisted:

One last word. "Becarefull What You Wish For, You May Get Your Wish But In The Way You Wanted It." :twisted:
"It is roleplaying Boob, but not as you know it"

"Captain, Set Tempers To Short, Arm the Egos, Full Slaughter Ahead, Sir"

Place where Vice Presidents can Hunt People Without A License. Twisted Evil
Sinbadsam
Scholar

PostAuthor: Fifty » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:11 pm

Tangleroot wrote:
TripleAught wrote:If you are just bored and want a DM to come entertain you... well, I hope you enjoying running through the streets naked.

Well, I do, but that doesn't seem to quarantee any dm love.

Surely you prefer running through the woods naked? I didn't think you liked running through streets either naked or clothed?
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Fifty » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:17 pm

There seems to be an automatic assumption that DMs should be in some way fair. I'd like to challenge that assumption. Why should they be? What has happened to make player X deserve the same attention as player Y? Did they both pay the same compulsory charge to play here? Is there a constitution signed by all players and DMs in which DMs undertake to be fair? Even DMs themselves have admitted to showing favouritism, as if they have been caught and now have to own up t doing something naughty. That is not the case. All of them are here for the same reasons as the players - to have fun. If they know they can have fun with certain players, those are the players they should have fun with. If they are generous enough to expand their circle to include players they do not alerady know, all credit to them.

DM attention is a privilege, not a right, and anything you get, you should be grateful for. As players it shoudl be our job to do things that make this game fun for DMs, so that they will want to DM us. I don't think many of us are very good at looking at things that way. I know for a fact that I rarely remember to view it that way.
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Nob » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:18 pm

Micah Ormane wrote:
Nob wrote:No they start with a D and end with T...IIRC.

Oooh! Can I buy a vowel?

Sure, you can have an E and an A.
"Andrinor grant me the patience not to kill those who screw things up through stupidity, the power to incinerate those who screw things up on purpose, and the wisdom to distinguish between one and the other." -The War Mage's Serenity Prayer
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: Demonseed » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:33 pm

Fifty wrote:DM attention is a privilege, not a right, and anything you get, you should be grateful for. As players it shoudl be our job to do things that make this game fun for DMs, so that they will want to DM us. I don't think many of us are very good at looking at things that way. I know for a fact that I rarely remember to view it that way.

Word
Kard Fynolds, Warrior of Dru'El
Zero Wefer, Sereg'Wethrin Assassin-in-training
Demonseed
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: p0m » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:40 pm

Demonseed wrote:
Fifty wrote:DM attention is a privilege, not a right, and anything you get, you should be grateful for. As players it shoudl be our job to do things that make this game fun for DMs, so that they will want to DM us. I don't think many of us are very good at looking at things that way. I know for a fact that I rarely remember to view it that way.

Word

Word +1.
Player of: Dannar Sunrise/Blighte
Gennor Visson
Jert Vilodel
p0m
Scholar

Timezone: +10
DM Avatar: Wintermute

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion