Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

New holy symbols and robes

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

New holy symbols and robes

PostAuthor: Snow » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:45 am

It seems that many people have questions about the new robes and symbols so a post should be made with all the needed information.

Recently new holy symbol's and robes were made for all faiths of Avlis. Yes, every single god has now their own new and improved holy symbol and robe. These aren't made just for divine casters (Clerics and Druids) but for all faithful and they're just alignment restricted.

The new holy symbols and robes have toolset values similar to the values allowed to Avlis guilds, depending on the God's power. So the Nine have a maximum value of 5000 the lesser gods 3000 and the demi-gods etc 1000.

All the robes are now plot and none have charged or single use abilities any more. They are either skill/ability bonuses, extra feats or x/day abilities.

Each and every one of those robes and holy symbols have a special ability that can be used unlimited times per day. When you have one of them on you can activate the ability and target a non plot item of the same type in your inventory. So you can target amulets for holy symbols and robes/armors for holy robes. When you do, you will lose gold equal to two times the toolset value of the targeted item and the item will disappear from your inventory. The holy robe/amulet will have absorbed all abilities and bonuses from the targeted item and will keep those along with the powers it already had. The new holy robe/item keeps its name and description and the only thing that really changes is that it now has the special abilities of the absorbed item. It is also plot so there is no longer fear of losing it or getting it looted after dying.

Keep in mind that if two items give the same type of bonus only the highest number will count. So if you merge an item that gives +5 to move silently with a holy item that gives +4 to move silently you will only receive a +5 bonus in total and not +9.

Important: You cannot keep adding abilities to a holy symbol or robe. Every time you merge a new item into one the old items properties will be lost (and so will the item) and only the new properties and the holy item's properties will be kept.

How to get these items: You get the holy robes and holy symbol for each faith when you convert to that deity automaticaly. You can also ask a DM with free time to hand them over to you.

Finally, keep in mind that the gods aren't very happy to see people use their holy symbols if they're not really they're followers :twisted:

You can thank Liephus for originaly creating this 'merging' system for the Holy Warriors of Avlis and Deider for actually making those new robes and symbols. :)

Edit: Forgot a couple of things

Snow
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Krator » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:51 am

I take it these are DM rewards, or will eventually the NPC merchants in temples sell them?
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Snow » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:52 am

Forgot this in the first attempt so I edited it in:

How to get these items: You get the holy robes and holy symbol for each faith when you convert to that deity automaticaly. You can also ask a DM with free time to hand them over to you.

Snow

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:55 am

Krator wrote:I take it these are DM rewards, or will eventually the NPC merchants in temples sell them?

You can also 'reaffirm' your faith through the scripted conversion options at your local temple, if you have one. Doing so will automatically give you one amulet and one robe.

Doing so multiple times might be considered cheesy, so let your friends drag their sorry butts to church themselves. :)
Last edited by KaiRal Windspar on Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: Sinbadsam » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:55 am

From a "conversation" I had with a DM, who chatted with a more senior DM.

These are for "devine" characters ie clerics, priests, rangers, and druids.

That does not mean that non devine types can not get them from a PC devine type of that faith, only after some very good RPing, and "maybe" said PC devine type can get a replacement.
"It is roleplaying Boob, but not as you know it"

"Captain, Set Tempers To Short, Arm the Egos, Full Slaughter Ahead, Sir"

Place where Vice Presidents can Hunt People Without A License. Twisted Evil
Sinbadsam
Scholar

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:00 pm

Sticky?
Talwin Hawkins

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Snow » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:01 pm

All PCs who follow a god can get them and wear them normaly.

And yeah, keep it to one robe and amulet or the gods might be pissed (although I think the script handles that anyway).

Snow

PostAuthor: mortzestus » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Snow wrote:And yeah, keep it to one robe and amulet or the gods might be pissed (although I think the script handles that anyway).

Yes, it does. :twisted:
mortzestus

PostAuthor: Dede » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:59 pm

I assume restrictions like "Only useable by Evil" are NOT transferred upon absorption?

Dede
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:04 pm

In my experience, all the restrictions transfer as well.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:09 pm

Tangleroot wrote:In my experience, all the restrictions transfer as well.
You are correct sir! Give that man a Cupie Doll!
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: Dede » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:21 pm

Yup, thanks for the responses, I assumed wrong. I found it also confirmed in the other thread:
Deider wrote:
natedawg396 wrote:
Ooh...what about restrictions of the armor/amulet merged with it? As in, if I merge my holy robe with some robe only useable by monks, will my holy robe only be useable by monks now?

Yes. ALL properties on the clothing/amulet get transferred to your robe/symbol. So if you merge Robes of the Old Order with Gorethar Holy Robes, you get Gorethar Holy Robes with DR +1/5 soak that are wearable only by LG monks.

So I should be cautious not to make an unuseable amulet for myself...

Dede
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: analgesia » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:04 pm

Very informative Snow, thank you. :)

analgesia
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Aeveras » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:06 pm

All cleared up. Thanks Snow!

- Aeveras
Aeveras

PostAuthor: yespr » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:12 pm

The holy items of Fegall are chaotic only, which makes it impossible for gnomes who aint chaotic to use it, appart from UMD ofcourse, bugreport is here http://www.avlis.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=1831
<Penguin> And then the ganoomtaurs did make war with the MechaSkyGnomes of Gnomitudus VI! And the Explosions did indeed Boom, nay, they BOOMed, for many years!

<JollyOrc> the synopsis is that a crazy homophobe scientist creates sentient condoms with teeth
yespr
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Hert Snyder » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:33 pm

Two misconceptions in here...

Snow: The charge is 5x the toolset value, not 2x

Kai'ral: Most of the Nine's NPC clerics do NOT all you to reconvert... they know you as a follower and do not offer the option.

Hert Snyder
Sage

PostAuthor: apandapion » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:33 pm

The robes are plot but the amulets are not?

apandapion
Contributor

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:38 pm

apandapion wrote:The robes are plot but the amulets are not?

both Dagath items are
Irreverence Awards 05 :most Ineffectual PC, honourable mention for most likely to give/recieve Spite

Islands of the Lost Head DM
Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:42 pm

Hert Snyder wrote:Two misconceptions in here...

Kai'ral: Most of the Nine's NPC clerics do NOT all you to reconvert... they know you as a follower and do not offer the option.
Hmmm.

I just did this the other day with my The'tonite, so I am doubting this. It could be the clerics you are talking to do not have the convert script?
~ Yantri

PostAuthor: loki70 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:46 pm

KaiRal Windspar wrote:

Hmmm.

I just did this the other day with my The'tonite, so I am doubting this. It could be the clerics you are talking to do not have the convert script?
Actually, the Nine do not let you reconvert, sometimes, in some cities. I noticed this a while ago with one of my characters. It's a different script than some of the other gods (I think it uses the recognition script like you see with Fanos). I will check it out next time I am in game. It could just be an old script that isn't updated yet.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Hert Snyder » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:00 pm

loki70 wrote:
KaiRal Windspar wrote:

Hmmm.

Actually, the Nine do not let you reconvert, sometimes, in some cities. I noticed this a while ago with one of my characters. It's a different script than some of the other gods (I think it uses the recognition script like you see with Fanos). I will check it out next time I am in game. It could just be an old script that isn't updated yet.

Personally I think it should be the other way around... it would be sorta annoying and lame for me to walk into a temple of Gorethar in full Ordained Plate armor and have the priest ask if I wanted to convert. They should be able to tell. I'd even bug report clerics that did NOT notice.

-spool32

Hert Snyder
Sage

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:18 pm

So is it 5x or 2x the toolset cost? I've heard both, and about everything in between...
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Marleh » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:39 pm

To merge the holy symbol/robe with your second amulet/robe, it will cost you x2 the amount of the merging item.

The base holy symbols and robes before merging have attibutes that are equivalent to the power of the god your character worships, so a worshipper of the Nine has holy items worth 5k, lesser gods 3k, demigods 1k.
Image Dame Moira Celyn (Windspar) Callindraes - Just a little bit...
Marleh
QA Resource

PostAuthor: Hert Snyder » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:43 pm

umm...

I was told the Natural Armor +3 amulet I merged had a toolset value of about 6800 gold. I payed about 34000 gold to do the merge. 6800*5=34000.

It's possible I could have been mistaken, but I don't think so.

-spool32

Hert Snyder
Sage

PostAuthor: szabot » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:46 pm

What happens if you try to merge items, but you don't have enough gold? Hopefully it just won't work, but I fear losing the item and not getting the merged one! *thinks about his very poor druid* :P
CoEMF
:devil:
Member of the MadKat Fan Club
szabot

Timezone: Central (GMT-5)
DM Avatar: Wilsash

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion