Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

ASK Public Beta 0.9.4

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

What do you think of ASK 0.9.4?

Too bad it's not printed on paper, I'm almost out of TP.
5%
Kind of a waste of space, but I'm sure somebody out there will have a use for it.
5%
It's better than what I was using, but not by much.
No votes
Good program, but needs some improvement.
21%
This is pretty cool, can't wait for the next version.
50%
Move over O'ma, Elysia shall bow to ASK now!
18%

Total votes : 38

ASK Public Beta 0.9.4

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:30 pm

Well, the time is here. If you're not sure what this is, take a look here:
http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=46916

ASK Public Beta 0.9.4 is available here:
http://avlis.betaspace.net/ASKInstall.zip (147k)

Please let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions on how it can be improved. My ultimate goal is that this is the only program/script/batch file you will ever need. (Besides the Required Haks of course)

And after you've run it a couple of times, let us all know what you think. Be brutal, I can take it.
Σpiktetus
Healer of the Order of O'ma
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

"Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=192
epiktetus
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Toman Nouwen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:59 am

Only a couple minor things, Epik... and I mean minor

- The 'www.Avlis.org' link is not centered over the 'Avlis Fanfiction' information in the upper-right hand corner. (I warned you... minor)
- I was going to say that there was no place to find the version number of ASK, but I just saw the little (0.9.4) information in the status bar.

Possible Additions??
-----------------------------------------------
- Minimize to the System Tray, with right-click capabilities to launch/connect to the servers?
- Maybe a counter of some form, to keep track of how many hours/days you've been playing total, and/or on a particular server...
- Follow up for the above suggestions, is a timer that plays a WAV file letting you know you've been playing for x amount of time, and that you should really consider eating, sleeping, spend time with your spouse, etc... ;)

Just my 2 cp
Toman Nouwen
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Dark_EK » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:16 am

Minor feedback, when putting on more servers than one window can handle, i think it woud be better to scroll up/down instead of left/right for these thing.. just a minor thing, on which not everyone might agree :)
"...and if I don't pay up, I'll go to jail for tax evasion. I'm crazy enough to take on Batman. But the IRS? No, thank you." - The Joker
Dark_EK
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: beezel_bug » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:02 am

i agree with the up/down scrolling solution...more "windows" userbility that way

beezel_bug
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: jaythespacehound » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:20 pm

err got a prob, it's not logging, and gives me the error that it can't find the log file when I hit the launch log button... DO I have to create it manually? *grins*
Otherwise it works well
EDIT:
Ah realised it has the path wrong..it thinks it's on c drive
anyway to change where it thinks nwn is?
EDIT 2:
You can change hwere it saves the log in the options, but it doesn't work. clicking the browse button always brings up the old location again, as does clicking the launch log button ;)
jaythespacehound
Apprentice Scholar

Location: Hobart Australia (feels like a small island sometimes...hang on it is) GMT+10

PostAuthor: Garumn » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:34 pm

no problems so far
Garumn
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Toman Nouwen » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:56 pm

New small bug/tweak...

Per the announcement of the Outlands server, when I added the information in, the tab order is not quite linear...

It currently goes:
-Name
-Address
-Port
-Password
-Cancel
-OK
-Additional Options

Suggestion would be that it goes:
-Name
-Address
-Port
-Password
-Additional Options
-OK
-Cancel
Toman Nouwen

PostAuthor: methuselah » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:03 pm

Great program 8) It's working great for me, and I havent had any problems with it yet.

Will there be a log parser added to its list of functions in the future? Or is that what the "Other Options" field is for?

Granted I've only used it 4 or 5 times so far, and may not have found that feature if it already exists.

Everything everyone else said sounded good too. :D
Dralix wrote:If there's one thing I've learned about you from these forums, it's that there are two sides to every issue ... and you are on both of them. ;)
Darkfire wrote:You have more balls then I do, because I'm still at my job taking it up the brown. Props to you methuselah.

methuselah
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

Re: ASK Public Beta 0.9.4

PostAuthor: apandapion » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 pm

epiktetus wrote:And after you've run it a couple of times, let us all know what you think. Be brutal, I can take it.

Brutal? Ok!

Do you realize that you could make the program download missing hak packs, and have you taken any steps in that direction?

The way it might work is that each server has a web page with a list of the necessary hak packs and places to download them, and the client (your client) can download them if they are missing or changed.

It's the logical next step of any booting program...

apandapion
Contributor

PostAuthor: Toman Nouwen » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:49 am

Sounds like an awsome idea... downloading the Hak packs. Although, ASK would only be as good as the sites that it links to. The CoPap web sites would have to be very consistent in the name of their 'Hak Download Page' such that they shouldn't change the name of the pages that reference the downloads.... Plus, it still relies on that CoPap information being correct. It took me nearly two weeks to get the Haks for Hala because the download page pointed me to dead mirror sites, and old version of the file....

[Stolen Thread]

If there was one central repository for all the CoPap haks, and all CoPap servers placed their Haks there in a standard format (including version numbers on the filename).
Maybe something like:

ftp://<ip to CoPap ftp site>:

/General Downloads
---/Portraits
------/Etc

/RequiredHaksForAllCoPapServers

/Avlis
---/Haks
---/Development
------/Scripts
------/Mods

/HalaHaks
---/Haks
---/Development
------/Scripts
------/Mods

Of course, before something like this could be setup, it might be good to know how much bandwidth would be used....

*looks at his ISP service level agreement* Hmmmm

[/Stolen Thread]
Toman Nouwen

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:45 pm

Toman Nouwen wrote:the tab order is not quite linear...

It currently goes:

*Slaps forehead*
Duh, tab order, I haven't paid any attention to that. I'll fix it for the next version.

methuselah wrote:Will there be a log parser added to its list of functions in the future?

Yes. Next full version, like 1.1. After I fix the bugs of this one. I have grand plans for it too, it should be better than any other parser you've seen yet. :D

apandapion wrote:Do you realize that you could make the program download missing hak packs, and have you taken any steps in that direction?

I have considered that for future versions, but as Toman said, it would only be as good as the info available and reliable download sites. It's also something for the distant future as there is a LOT of work that would have to go into it.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: jaythespacehound » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:34 am

More info on the bug.
It does create the log file where specified in the options,
it just tries to find it on C: drive when you hit the conversation log button :D
jaythespacehound
Apprentice Scholar

Location: Hobart Australia (feels like a small island sometimes...hang on it is) GMT+10

PostAuthor: Zebranky » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:42 am

What language is it written in, and do you plan to release the code? Especially if it's C#, I would love to get my hands on that... :D
Code: Select all
<Zebranky> (Also, that would piss SO many people off. ;)
<Nob> That's why it's such a great idea, Zeb.
Zebranky
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: methuselah » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:21 am

epiktetus wrote:
methuselah wrote:Will there be a log parser added to its list of functions in the future?

Yes. Next full version, like 1.1. After I fix the bugs of this one. I have grand plans for it too, it should be better than any other parser you've seen yet. :D

Way cool 8)
Perhaps when you finally implement the parser you can make the output customizeable, like font type and colors for different chat text like whisper and stuff. Some of the parsers I found dont even work like their descriptions say they do :cry:
Dralix wrote:If there's one thing I've learned about you from these forums, it's that there are two sides to every issue ... and you are on both of them. ;)
Darkfire wrote:You have more balls then I do, because I'm still at my job taking it up the brown. Props to you methuselah.

methuselah
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:14 pm

methuselah wrote:
Way cool 8)
Perhaps when you finally implement the parser you can make the output customizeable, like font type and colors for different chat text like whisper and stuff. Some of the parsers I found dont even work like their descriptions say they do :cry:

Yup, I am planning all of the above. Though some of it might be a version or two in the future. I think everyone will be happy
Last edited by epiktetus on Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:21 pm

Zebranky wrote:What language is it written in, and do you plan to release the code? Especially if it's C#, I would love to get my hands on that...

VB.net, and I'd be happy to release code to people, as long as it is controlled.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:47 pm

Toman Nouwen wrote:- Maybe a counter of some form, to keep track of how many hours/days you've been playing total, and/or on a particular server...
- Follow up for the above suggestions, is a timer that plays a WAV file letting you know you've been playing for x amount of time, and that you should really consider eating, sleeping, spend time with your spouse, etc... ;)

Have I got a deal for you all: I can add a whole bunch of cool features including; tracking of total time per sever, remembering the last server you were on, and when the log parser is ready, filtering/colorizing per server.

All I need from you all is one thing. I need to know how to watch the connections that NWNMain are making. I'm pretty sure this should be relatively easy in VB.Net, but all of my searching has come up with nothing. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: Krator » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:08 pm

oooh... neat :)

What about.. toolset stuff? It would be nice to have, maybe in another window/tab to not make the list too long for non-toolset freaks, the following things:
-nwtoolset.exe
-launch module from modules directory in nwtoolset.exe
-open http://www.nwnlexicon.com in default webbrowser
-and.. if it's possible.. run a single player module :) That would be neat. BTW, if anyone knows how to make shortcuts to single player modules like there are to Avlis, please tell me!

Would be nice to be able to add shortcuts to files on my computer myself, I can add things like the Grimoire, DnD Books, Psionics Guide, Avlis Map, Player Guide, etc.
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Themicles » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:29 pm

epiktetus wrote:All I need from you all is one thing. I need to know how to watch the connections that NWNMain are making. I'm pretty sure this should be relatively easy in VB.Net, but all of my searching has come up with nothing. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I think Papillon would be the most likely to answer this question really well.

-Themicles
A wise man does not dwell on his past. He learns from it, he grows from it, and then moves ahead into his future.

And some wise words from a wise man. :P
Orleron wrote:You have to excuse Themi. Tact, diplomacy, and softness are not his best traits, but he does not mean anything by his writing. He's a nice guy. You just get used to it after a while because he doesn't seem to learn. :)
Themicles
CoPaP Ambassador

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:55 pm

Krator wrote:oooh... neat :)

What about.. toolset stuff? It would be nice to have, maybe in another window/tab to not make the list too long for non-toolset freaks, the following things:
-nwtoolset.exe
-launch module from modules directory in nwtoolset.exe
-open http://www.nwnlexicon.com in default webbrowser
-and.. if it's possible.. run a single player module :) That would be neat. BTW, if anyone knows how to make shortcuts to single player modules like there are to Avlis, please tell me!

Would be nice to be able to add shortcuts to files on my computer myself, I can add things like the Grimoire, DnD Books, Psionics Guide, Avlis Map, Player Guide, etc.

I've considered having the links customizable. But I think I need to save that for a later version. There's a lot more important things to do first. Good ideas though.
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

PostAuthor: Hert Snyder » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:46 am

Options window positioning is not sticky, i.e. it always appears in the same place regardless of where it was when you closed it..

Hert Snyder
Sage

PostAuthor: Albion » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:09 am

I get a wierd bug when i use it. When i use it the first time no matter which server i try i get a could not translate address message. If i close it and immediatly and try again on the same server it finds the server with no problem.

It is not a case of the server crashing and starting up again as i always try again a couple of seconds later.
Only two things in the world are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not quite sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Albion
Sage

PostAuthor: apandapion » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:56 am

epiktetus wrote:All I need from you all is one thing. I need to know how to watch the connections that NWNMain are making. I'm pretty sure this should be relatively easy in VB.Net, but all of my searching has come up with nothing. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

If you're really interested in doing it, here's two ways you might go about it:

Read the source code of ethereal and find out how it does it (hard)
http://www.ethereal.com/

Run and parse the results of the netstat command. (easier) Netstat sits there and spits out data, so run it once and pipe the data into your process. Split out the ip and action, compare the ips to a known list, and if the ip is one you're interested in, note the action and if it determines a new connection or a closing connection. (This will probably involve having at least one thread, which may be something you don't want to mess with. I'd poll for real interest before you start.)

apandapion
Contributor

PostAuthor: epiktetus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:16 pm

apandapion wrote:Run and parse the results of the netstat command. (easier) Netstat sits there and spits out data, so run it once and pipe the data into your process. Split out the ip and action, compare the ips to a known list, and if the ip is one you're interested in, note the action and if it determines a new connection or a closing connection. (This will probably involve having at least one thread, which may be something you don't want to mess with. I'd poll for real interest before you start.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's brilliant. I've done stuff like this before, but I didn't even think about netstat. Not only that, but I'm gonna one-up you on this one. There's an app called TCPView made by sysinternals.com. They actually have the source for how they made it. It's much simpler than the Ethreal source, and much closer to the language that I use.

I never would have thought of it without this suggestion... thanks again!
Σpiktetus
Proprietor of H.E.A.L.

epiktetus

netstat and ethereal

PostAuthor: apandapion » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:12 am

epiktetus wrote:Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's brilliant. I've done stuff like this before, but I didn't even think about netstat. Not only that, but I'm gonna one-up you on this one. There's an app called TCPView made by sysinternals.com. They actually have the source for how they made it. It's much simpler than the Ethreal source, and much closer to the language that I use.

I never would have thought of it without this suggestion... thanks again!

You're welcome. I've never used TCPview - generally I use netstat, or go all the way to ethereal, depending on what I want to do. But I usually use it for analysis and not as data input, so ethereal's complexity has never been a bother to me.

Make sure that whatever method you use, you don't have to install a packet sniffer driver (or whatever the technical term is for that thing that pretends to be a network device to catch packets) - most users probably arn't going to want to do that.

apandapion
Contributor

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion