Total players: 1
Gallery

Links Menu

Emoting, etc.

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Emoting, etc.

PostAuthor: modigliani » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:33 pm

Total newbie here (yes, another one), so please bear with me. I've been on a couple of times and have noticed people doing cool things like, say, speaking trademark phrases, pulling out paper and writing, etc.

How does one do these things? Also, I've seen people emote things that I can't. When I right-click my emote button, I get a bunch of blank actions on the radial menu. All I have is the emote wand, which makes me look like I'm casting a spell before I sit, fall backwards, or whatever. This makes me very *wipes tear*.

In short, I'd like to know how my character can express himself verbally and physically, and if there's a way to shortcut these so I'm not delaying conversation too much. Without these I feel *verklempt*.

Thanks, "by Crom!" and *aw, forget it*
modigliani
Scholar

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:13 pm

There are several ways you can *emote*.

1) You can use the Emote Wand. The *stretches arms in front, looking like a complete prat* part is unavoidable at the moment. IC, you should ignore that, whether you do it or you see someone else do so.

2) You can *emote*. You can add words to your Quickslots at the bottom of the screen if you wish. For example, if you Quickslot *waves*, then as you pass other people, you can just click on this and you are not thought to be rude. You can of course, type these individually as well. To Quickslot speech, you Right-Click on the Slot you want to use, select Macro from the menu (at the top), type in the Label (which is what you see on the Quickslot) and then type /tk *waves*, or whatever you want to say. The /tk part is to ensure that you only TALK the words, instead of SHOUTING them. Actually, the SHOUT option is turned off except for DMs, but it is still a good idea to include this.

3) You can use the Voice options. These are listed in the original NWN Manual. It is a good idea to photocopy the page from the Manual and keep it by the Computer. To use these, you just pres the appropriate 3-letter code. You don't need to press the Enter key, just the three letters. The first one is always V. Once you press this, you see a menu pop-up, which changes as you type the second letter.

Some examples are:

VXX = Thankyou.
VXA = Good idea
VSD = Yes
VSW = No.

The exact phrase you say depends on the Voiceset you chose when you made your character. The phrase is actually spoken in the appropriate Voice.

Hope these help.

Welcome to Avlis *waves*
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: modigliani » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:03 pm

Thanks so much for that detailed answer--a nice welcome indeed. Now I can avoid people thinking I'm a jerk (for OOC reasons, at least). Cheers

*uses wand: huffs and gets back to work*
modigliani
Scholar

PostAuthor: Lafferty » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:24 pm

And dont forget the built-in emotes. There were added a few in the last update! The new emotes contain stuff like 'Drink' 'Read' 'Fall Forwards' 'Fall Backwards' ...

Since those are built into the menu you dont need to use the emote wand for certain emotes and thus avoid the use item emote

To access the built-in emotes use the radial menu...
Tool for crafters Do you want some human to your salt? nomanisanisland.monolar.de
Lafferty
Scholar

Location: look at my hands... they are HUGE. And they cant touch themselves...

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:32 pm

Oops :oops:

I forgot to mention the Radial Menu emotes. I usually have about 6 of those Quickslotted as well. :shock:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Gairus » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:34 pm

Pity the new radial "sit on floor" option only sits for like 5 seconds then stands back up. hehe

Gairus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Aloro » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:45 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:Oops :oops:

I forgot to mention the Radial Menu emotes. I usually have about 6 of those Quickslotted as well. :shock:

Why quickslot radial emotes? They're dead easy to do really fast. Just hit 0 (open the radial menu), then 7 (emote), then the number corresponding to your emote of choice.

079 = taunt. I use that one all the time when possessing nymphs. Sometimes repeatedly.

073 = laugh, etc.

It takes literally about half a second for me to activate a radial emote - no need to use those precious quickslots. ;)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion