Will you buy an iPhone?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 142

PostAuthor: jordenk » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:38 pm

KaiRal Windspar wrote:
Istahire wrote:Any country or company that does not realize the importance of technology to their further development will sooner or later become insignifficant and perish due to their competitive disadvantage.
No one said the internet was not effective and convenient. By far and large, for a BUSINESS, it's almost a necessity to stay competitive, yes. But the iPhone and related technology is not BUSINESS. It's directly targeted and built for CONSUMER end goods.

As an individual and consumer; you name one vital, municipal and non-entertainment related service that can only be obtained via the internet - just ONE - and I will eat my hat.

Hint: They don't exist.

Education... im taking an online college course.... from a school far away...hah!!!
Blake Then
Knight Companion of Calazeria
Mage of the Gold Order of the Sand
Minister of Magic of Calazeria

jordenk
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: KinX » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:10 am

cell phone? don't you mean mobile?

i haven't looked at anything the iphone can do. all i know is that it's made by apple and it's their entry into the mobile phone market. That's all i need to know to not buy their product.

As for all that extra crap phones can do nowadays, i think it's cool. In fact i'm looking for a new phone and i'm leaning towards one with a GPS. I'm terrible at navigating and i know i will find it incredibly useful. Being able to take photos and instantly send it to your buddies i think is handy too. Rather than taking the photo, downloading it to your pc, emailing. You can just snap and send.

Yes, i am a consumer whore.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Marleh » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:32 am

Image Dame Moira Celyn (Windspar) Callindraes - Just a little bit...
Marleh
QA Resource

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 pm

jordenk wrote:
KaiRal Windspar wrote:As an individual and consumer; you name one vital, municipal and non-entertainment related service that can only be obtained via the internet - just ONE - and I will eat my hat.

Education... im taking an online college course.... from a school far away...hah!!!
BZZZZZZT! You are incorrect! Thank you for playing.

Distance education has existed since sometime in the 1800's when Issac Pitman taught shorthand in Great Britain via correspondence in the 1840s. One of the largest institutions offering Distance Education is the University of South Africa, in operation since 1969.

My hat gets to live another day.

And before anyone says this is getting off topic; my point is that the iPhones major detractors are those who say they don't 'need' this stuff, which is cool. But wouldn't it be cool to be able to do your homework from your phone while on the road or in case you forgot yesterday, jordenk?

Because, unlike any of it's predecessors, the internet browsing feature of the iPhone does not need a specifically translated web service. You access the full, unadulterated internet. Any site, any time.

By the way? That's completely new to mobile phone technology.
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: Pandaerus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:32 pm

*reads up what an Iphone is and does*

well... impressive... seeing it does what my four year old phone can. And my phone is already in production for six years.
Pandaerus
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Hamlet » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Silk wrote:It's an apple product... I refuse.

+1 (Also, I have a cellphone that I keep turned off unless I am going on mountain hikes).
#AVLISPLAYERHOUSING
#WHATSHERNAMEAGAIN

Hamlet, please don't kill me
-Plethora

Hamlet
QA's 1st|CCC|PH Fairy|RPoTY 2007
QA's 1st|CCC|PH Fairy|RPoTY 2007

PostAuthor: Istahire » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:55 pm

KaiRal Windspar wrote:
Istahire wrote:Any country or company that does not realize the importance of technology to their further development will sooner or later become insignifficant and perish due to their competitive disadvantage.
No one said the internet was not effective and convenient. By far and large, for a BUSINESS, it's almost a necessity to stay competitive, yes. But the iPhone and related technology is not BUSINESS. It's directly targeted and built for CONSUMER end goods.

As an individual and consumer; you name one vital, municipal and non-entertainment related service that can only be obtained via the internet - just ONE - and I will eat my hat.

I have never argued that the iPhone was useful for anything, except as an overpriced toy for the wealthy. For serious work, I still prefer my TabletPC and mobile phone or WiFi, though I wish the design of it was prettier.

Let's see...
- I recently sent an application for a new job over the internet. They did not want it any other way.
- Banks still let you pay bills over the counter, but charges huge sums for the service (as I have an account, they only charge me NOK 38,- (ca. $6-7) per bill. Else the price would have ben higher)! Paying over the net costs me nil.
- Many stores exist only as internet businesses. There are alternatives, but you have no way of comparing prices, and the "service" of a physical store usually carries a premium (mostly for electronics businesses).
- For many municipal services, you can either log in to "MyPage" and fill out your forms, or you can stand in line for long times and meet a clerk who looks scornfully on you and asks why you didn't do it over the internet instead.

So, almost all things can still be done without internet, but it has in many cases become extremely impractical and/or expensive to do so. The impracticabilities and expenses of not having an internet-connection makes it a necessity of having such, in order to perticipate fully in the society.

Just the fact that the state pays for unemployed people to take PC-cources ought to tell something about the signifficance of having a computer nowadays. This country is becoming an extreme-case, of course, but one must expect most developed countries to follow suit sooner or later. The biggest impact, however, will be in the least developed countries, where internet-connections can become the only way of getting education and efficient medical care (as in rural India).

The non-impossibility of getting essential services offline keeps your hat alive, but I find it hard to see such options as acceptable :wink:
Istahire
Silver Player

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:29 pm

Istahire wrote:Let's see...
- I recently sent an application for a new job over the internet. They did not want it any other way.
True. Many businesses are using software to filter through applications and resume's. This, however, does not count as municipal.
- Banks still let you pay bills over the counter, but charges huge sums for the service (as I have an account, they only charge me NOK 38,- (ca. $6-7) per bill. Else the price would have ben higher)! Paying over the net costs me nil.
All businesses are required by law to accept payment via cash, or mailed in check and credit card. For the price of a stamp. Next.
- Many stores exist only as internet businesses. There are alternatives, but you have no way of comparing prices, and the "service" of a physical store usually carries a premium (mostly for electronics businesses).
Being one of the initial Amazon.com Employees, I can tell you; I know the 'brick and mortar vs. e-commerce' philosophy very well.
- You will never walk out of a brick and mortar store with someone else's purchase (unless you wanted to).
- You can not compare prices, but you also can not inspect product quality and performance except by anonymously submitted reviews. Truth: Most people who purchase a product and are satisfied with it, never follow up and bother to post a review. Only those unsatisfied. Sad, sin't it?
- For many municipal services, you can either log in to "MyPage" and fill out your forms, or you can stand in line for long times and meet a clerk who looks scornfully on you and asks why you didn't do it over the internet instead.
Or post them a check, phone in your credit card (and often check) information, etc.

So, almost all things can still be done without internet, but it has in many cases become extremely impractical and/or expensive to do so. The impracticabilities and expenses of not having an internet-connection makes it a necessity of having such, in order to perticipate fully in the society.
Sorry, but that is a matter of opinion. I never bank online, I never pay my municipalities online, and I certainly never shop for clothing, food or other absolute necessities online.

I should also point out that in my line of work and schedule, this is highly impractical! I work during the night, when all businesses are closed, pretty much. I get off work before they open, and sleep through most business hours, arising only with about 4 hours (Between 4pm and 8pm) to get anything done. If I have to talk to someone at my bank, it's usually with a good deal of grogginess and sleep still in my eyes!

And yet still. when it comes to my money? I want to see the guys eyes when he tells me where the hell that charge came from, or that deposit got routed. I won't accept even phone service in cases like this.
Just the fact that the state pays for unemployed people to take PC-courses ought to tell something about the significance of having a computer nowadays. This country is becoming an extreme-case, of course, but one must expect most developed countries to follow suit sooner or later. The biggest impact, however, will be in the least developed countries, where internet-connections can become the only way of getting education and efficient medical care (as in rural India).
And the primary focus of said courses? Data Entry and 10-key, which is primarily used for databases, not internet services. The computer and, more often than not, the calculator are far older than interconnectiviy, but only in the last 40 years have they become almost synonymous.

The non-impossibility of getting essential services offline keeps your hat alive, but I find it hard to see such options as acceptable :wink:
My hat thanks you. :)
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: Raine Jueness » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Istahire wrote:Just the fact that the state pays for unemployed people to take PC-courses ought to tell something about the significance of having a computer nowadays. This country is becoming an extreme-case, of course, but one must expect most developed countries to follow suit sooner or later. The biggest impact, however, will be in the least developed countries, where internet-connections can become the only way of getting education and efficient medical care (as in rural India).

KaiRal Windspar wrote:And the primary focus of said courses? Data Entry and 10-key, which is primarily used for databases, not internet services.

Careful. Istahire is in Norway. If you've read some of the other Norway & Computer related posts that have popped up recently, you'll discover that they've got a serious shortage of employable IT personnel. This also happens in other fields, for instance, my brother got a pharmacy scholarship if he'd agree to work in Michigan as a pharmicist for at least 1-year.
Raine Jueness
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:52 pm

Raine Jueness wrote:
Istahire wrote:Just the fact that the state pays for unemployed people to take PC-courses ought to tell something about the significance of having a computer nowadays. This country is becoming an extreme-case, of course, but one must expect most developed countries to follow suit sooner or later. The biggest impact, however, will be in the least developed countries, where internet-connections can become the only way of getting education and efficient medical care (as in rural India).

KaiRal Windspar wrote:And the primary focus of said courses? Data Entry and 10-key, which is primarily used for databases, not internet services.

Careful. Istahire is in Norway. If you've read some of the other Norway & Computer related posts that have popped up recently, you'll discover that they've got a serious shortage of employable IT personnel. This also happens in other fields, for instance, my brother got a pharmacy scholarship if he'd agree to work in Michigan as a pharmicist for at least 1-year.
Sorry, it was not meant as criticism.

Here in the US< the Unemployment agencies in all states have what is usally called 'Commissioner Approved training', which means that if you are leaving a field with a LOW DEMAND, they will pay for you to train in a profession with a HIGH DEMAND.

Sounds great, right? Allow some of those people in essoteric jobs designing sub-systems on a DC-10 to get training in mainstream computer knowledge and become one of the Cyber Gen? Yeah... the ugly truth is; they will only train you as far as you need to get in on the ground floor.

Data Entry and 10-Key. :( Just enough to be a semi-functional office monkey, and they cut the apron strings. They may go so far as to explain how e-mail works, and how to properly fill out all the fields to get it where you need it to go.

The rest is up to you to learn and pay for yourself, here in the US of A.
~ Yantri

PostAuthor: Istahire » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:50 pm

How things work in the USA and how things work in Norway are obviously not the same. I comment on how things are here, not in countries where technological progress (for the average person, that is) has not come that far yet :) My argument is that here, it is becoming vital to have certain types of equipment.

Very few businesses (except stores of course) accept cash payment, cheques, etc. In some cases, it might even be illegal, as such payments are more difficult for the government to register. Paying bills thus have to be done through a bank in most cases. Businesses are also allowed to charge extra to send a bill on paper, rather than electronically (my phone company, for example, charges NOK 19 for this "extra service").

The "MyPage" I referred to is the citizen-portal to public services, including welfare, tax-payment, job-search and healthcare.

The general focus of the publically funded PC-courses is on general computer use, office-programs, and internet (especially how to use net-banks, webstores and public services on the net). They are meant for the general public, not IT-professionals. If you require more advanced/specialized courses, such can be arranged, but is not neccesarily completely free of charge (probably a very small fraction of what you have to pay over in the USA).

All these services might seem unneccesary in the US, but here it is regarded as being beneficial to the economy as a whole (public and private), as people can get better job-opportunities, and thus become able to buy more goods and pay more taxes.
Istahire
Silver Player

PostAuthor: Marleh » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:36 pm

All these services might seem unneccesary in the US

I don't think it is seen as unneccesary nowadays, but that there are more pressing needs to be given attention, (meaning money,) first. Not just the Federal Gov is involved, but each state sets its priorities as well.

As for the iPhone, maybe in a few years.
Image Dame Moira Celyn (Windspar) Callindraes - Just a little bit...
Marleh
QA Resource

PostAuthor: Tony Wazz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:58 pm

I'll chime in with a

NO

Already have a phone and several computers...
Tony Wazz
Sage

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:18 pm

Istahire wrote:The "MyPage" I referred to is the citizen-portal to public services, including welfare, tax-payment, job-search and healthcare.
Actually, this is an increasingly necessary function in the US, as well, and several examples already exist as states and cities pool together municipal resources and infrastructure on the web . Seattle.net has something kind of like it with links to all the local hospitals, power company, phone company, social security offices, etc. - and this could only be that much more useful if a network of mobile communications existed that could access this in the same format and language as a regular computer or notebook.

Presently, the iPhone and some PDA devices are the only ones that can read a straight HTML web page without conversion to another format. I think it's kinda cool, and like I said earlier, I will buy one for that reason.

In essence, you are saying the internet and interconnectivity is becoming necessary and critical as technology progresses, yes?

That I have to disagree with. Even with the iPhone or devices like it, I will never send payments, pay my rent, or bank online. Never. Anyone that does, deserves the myriad of glitches, bugs and holes that this form of transaction brings them.

And so long as my money means anything, they're gonna take it the way I choose to give it to them. So sayeth the US Legal System.
~ Yantri

PostAuthor: Istahire » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:06 pm

Presently, the iPhone and some PDA devices are the only ones that can read a straight HTML web page without conversion to another format. I think it's kinda cool, and like I said earlier, I will buy one for that reason.

Yes, this is a feature that I really like, and it will make things easier, but I think I'll wait until the technology is more mature, customizable, and cheaper. For now, I'll stick to my cell-phone with Opera Mini, as it takes good enough care of my needs (not many) for internet on the bus. Internet services on the mobile-network is horridly expensive here still, unfortunately. :(

That I have to disagree with. Even with the iPhone or devices like it, I will never send payments, pay my rent, or bank online. Never. Anyone that does, deserves the myriad of glitches, bugs and holes that this form of transaction brings them.

And so long as my money means anything, they're gonna take it the way I choose to give it to them. So sayeth the US Legal System.

As long as the legal system gives you any choice, and it's not too expensive fine. You seem to be lucky there. But as long as I don't voluntarily give away my code-cards, or do anything else utterly moronic, any abuse of my account due to techical glitches must be covered by the bank itself. Further, if they can't deliver the service I require, I simply change to a better bank.

I find it kind of interesting to compare how things work in different countries :)
"If you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered dragon - just remember that you don't have to outrun the dragon..."
Istahire
Silver Player

Re: Will you buy an iPhone?

PostAuthor: gsasics » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:13 pm

I will,I will,I will,I will,I will,I will,I will,I will,

gsasics

PostAuthor: Coco » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm

It's not that I go buy phones all the time, but when my old Nokia went down last year, I decided buying an Iphone 4. To me, it turned out to be the best decision I ever made, when it comes to phones. With all the possibilities it has, it's more than just a phone to me. It helps me keep track on things both work related and in private, and if I need the internet (like now where I have computer problems), it's nice knowing, I'm still able to check up on things and stay in touch, even though it's from the phone. So far it has been nothing but beneficial to me.

Coco
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: +1

PostAuthor: Ashan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 am

I've had all generations of the Iphone and recently got an Ipad. and each time i buy one i end up thinking what did i do before i had this so yay apple
Ashan
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: gmt

PostAuthor: Grunt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 pm

...Thread Necromancy FTL
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Joeyo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:10 pm

[quote="Grunt"] ...Thread Necromancy FTL [/quote]
Joeyo
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Ninjar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:06 pm

PC++
Ninjar
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: GMT +2

PostAuthor: Eklektikos » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:08 pm

You realise this forum doesn't count for PC, right? ;)
Eklektikos
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: NayalaGelbert » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Is that armour still available?

NayalaGelbert
Gold Player

PostAuthor: Grunt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:50 pm

[quote="Eklektikos"]You realise this forum doesn't count for PC, right? ;)[/quote]

What a shame.

also quotes are disabled!
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: loki70 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 pm

[quote="Grunt"][quote="Eklektikos"]You realise this forum doesn't count for PC, right? ;)[/quote]

What a shame.

also quotes are disabled![/quote]
Really?
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls