Will you buy an iPhone?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 142

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 pm

One thing I see alot of here is 'need'.

No one 'needs' a cell phone, a computer, a camera, a TV, or even the Internet, period.

'Want' is a different story.

Do I need all these things? Nope. Do I want them? Yep. Can I afford them? Soon, maybe. And if I can, I will.
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: Zyndro » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:15 pm

I don't "want" to wach tv on a screen the size of a tape deck. I don't "want" to read web pages only 1/15'th of the page at a time. I don't "want" to pay $600 for something I'm only going to use as a phone, which I could get for around $20.

Want isn't that different of a story. :P
Zyndro
Silver Lifer

PostAuthor: Istahire » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:19 pm

KaiRal Windspar wrote:No one 'needs' a cell phone, a computer, a camera, a TV, or even the Internet, period.

Perhaps not in underdeveloped countries, where such things might be regarded as luxuries still. Here, cellphones and a computer with internet access are more and more regarded as basic necessities to participate in the society.
Istahire
Silver Player

PostAuthor: korak » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:24 pm

No one 'needs' a cell phone, a computer, a camera, a TV, or even the Internet, period.

Hmmm....it all depends on your need. I need food to stay alive. I need money to buy the food. I need my work to make the money. I need my customers to be able to reach me during the day when it is seed season. At that time I am in my truck a lot and if they cannot reach me then they will get their product somewhere else. So in turn, I lose my customers which gets rid of my job, which gets rid of my money, which gets rid of my food...which I need. :)

I have nothing against Apple, especially since we just got a new one at the school and I like it a lot better than the PCs that we have. The video editing and such is pretty simple with it. I would much rather support them than that Gates guy. ;) I wish that Opensource would start making cell phones...now that I could go for. :lol:

All that being said in a jest sort of way, no I won't be buying one. I still wish that I had my old analog phone that was about 7 inches long and 2 inches thick. I felt like I was actually holding something in my hand when I used it. I don't use all the fancy stuff on the phone. Heck, I don't even have a number stored in it. I try to make sure that I remember the majority of my friends and customers numbers so that I don't have to rely on that. Of course my memory is getting worse in teh last couple of years and I realize that I don't remember numbers the way I once did.....I used to basically be a walking phone book, just ask my wife. :)

I just wish that I could remember everything else as well as I remember numbers. lol
I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello?), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice-mail. What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?
korak
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: -5

PostAuthor: Marleh » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:57 pm

korak wrote:Of course my memory is getting worse in teh last couple of years and I realize that I don't remember numbers the way I once did.....I used to basically be a walking phone book, just ask my wife. :)
:lachtot: Erm, sorry, can't help it.

I just wish that I could remember everything else as well as I remember numbers. lol
Yep, our poor Korak needs :hilfe:
Image Dame Moira Celyn (Windspar) Callindraes - Just a little bit...
Marleh
QA Resource

PostAuthor: Tulok » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:05 pm

My phone rings when I get a call and calls when I want to make one. Im good to go! :D
Tulok
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: korak » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 pm

Marleh wrote:
korak wrote:Of course my memory is getting worse in teh last couple of years and I realize that I don't remember numbers the way I once did.....I used to basically be a walking phone book, just ask my wife. :)

I have no idea what you are talking about.. *walks away whistling* 8-)
I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello?), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice-mail. What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?
korak

PostAuthor: Raen » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Raen wrote:Where is the "Eventually" button

oh HO! but ONE of the Teens and above will SURELY ask fer one for BD or Christmas. :roll: I fear I won't escape this. ((but we have held them off the craze so far! Not doing to bad.))

Hunting a Wii right now for #1's BD.
Raen
Silver Lifer

Timezone: Central Time

PostAuthor: darthmullet » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:56 am

Istahire wrote:
KaiRal Windspar wrote:No one 'needs' a cell phone, a computer, a camera, a TV, or even the Internet, period.

Perhaps not in underdeveloped countries, where such things might be regarded as luxuries still. Here, cellphones and a computer with internet access are more and more regarded as basic necessities to participate in the society.

Haha!! Does the govt give out extra wellfare to allow for those necessities? No. Basic land line service is not deemed a necessity by the great US, last I checked.

I love Mac, I love Apple, Steve Jobs is my hero. I would love all those things on one gadget, and when I can afford it, and ATT isn't the only shitty company to carry them, I WILL buy one.
Member of the Ghostie fan club
(Double Member)
darthmullet

Timezone: CST -6

PostAuthor: Melakin Skywieder » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:02 am

I don't need a cell phone

In spite of what most people think the world worked just fine for a long time without them. Are they handy, sure and if I had kids I would have one for emergencies. But I don't and won't so no cell for me unless my work pays for it

But do keep buying your 1 cell phone a year kiddies, I make the chips that go into them

:twisted:
If money it the root of all evil, I want to be a bad man!

Melakin Skywieder

PostAuthor: Istahire » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:10 am

darthmullet wrote:
Istahire wrote:

Haha!! Does the govt give out extra wellfare to allow for those necessities? No. Basic land line service is not deemed a necessity by the great US, last I checked.

I love Mac, I love Apple, Steve Jobs is my hero. I would love all those things on one gadget, and when I can afford it, and ATT isn't the only shitty company to carry them, I WILL buy one.

If the US can't see the necessity and administrative/economic advantage of providing their citicens with basic information management capabilities, that is their loss. Even in India, the government has realised the essentiality of developing proper communications infrastructures to provide its citizens with education, medical treatement and so forth.

http://www.norway.no/ shows some of the services provided over the internet. It is expected that citizens know how to use these services, and thus are in possession of the equipment needed. For very low-income families extra support can be granted to aquire the needed devices.
"If you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered dragon - just remember that you don't have to outrun the dragon..."
Istahire
Silver Player

PostAuthor: DeadEyeDave » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:21 am

Melakin Skywieder wrote:I don't need a cell phone

In spite of what most people think the world worked just fine for a long time without them. Are they handy, sure and if I had kids I would have one for emergencies. But I don't and won't so no cell for me unless my work pays for it

But do keep buying your 1 cell phone a year kiddies, I make the chips that go into them

:twisted:

i agree completely...i've been cell phone free for a couple of years now. if you can't get ahold of me, i don't want you to get ahold of me. my last cell phone was bought for me by the company i worked for. I assume the next time i have a celly it will be bought by someone i work for.

if you gotta make a call, there's payphones everywhere (still) and if not, it doesn't hurt to ask someone to use theirs.
Bad poetry?
Oh noetry!
DeadEyeDave
Scholar

PostAuthor: Tigg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:58 am

Not buying an i-phone anytime soon, I don't like to be the guinea pig for these things, plus you always get ripped off when a new product first comes out. Best to wait until it gets both cheaper and more fine-tuned IMO. I like cool stuff but I've lived well enough without it until now, I can wait a little longer.
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
Tigg
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:19 am

darthmullet wrote:
Istahire wrote:

Actually, no. All housing is required to have an operational phone line to qualify for federal subsidy, so the occupants can call 911. No active service is required to call 911, but the line has to be there.

That aside; anyone that says the internet is anything but a luxury service seriously needs to get out of the house once in a while.
~ Yantri
The most futile thing in this world is any attempt, perhaps, at exact definition of character. All individuals are a bundle of contradictions -- none more so than the most capable. -Theodore Dreiser, author (1871-1945)

PostAuthor: korak » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:29 am

That aside; anyone that says the internet is anything but a luxury service seriously needs to get out of the house once in a while.

Well, I disagree with that. :)

I have to report sales online and order my seedcorn and soybeans online. If I do it over the phone then I am penalized quite a few percent, in which case I could not compete with the other businesses around and thus I would lose my income from that job.

At my other job at the school, I have a long report that I have to fill out online each year. They will not take it in any other way and if I do not fill this out then the school will lose certain pay that they get otherwise.

So really, it is not always a luxury. I actually would much rather be able to call my seed orders in and talk to someone, but I cannot afford to do it that way anymore.
korak

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:10 am

#74 says "When I am not home, I don't want to answer the phone."
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: Cassandros » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:07 am

waste of cash
Currently Playing:
- Kalgar Darthvord
- Kalum Brekarian
Cassandros
Scholar

Timezone: +11

PostAuthor: darthmullet » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:13 am

Kai'Ral wrote:Actually, no. All housing is required to have an operational phone line to qualify for federal subsidy, so the occupants can call 911. No active service is required to call 911, but the line has to be there.

Yeah, when I put "service" at the end, I meant service by ATT, Sprint, etc. So that calls other than a 911 can be made.
(Double Member)
darthmullet

Timezone: CST -6

PostAuthor: yorlik » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:26 am

What is an iPhone ?
Is it edible ?
But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
yorlik
Bronze Contributor

Timezone: CE(S)T

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:02 am

Marleh wrote:

You think you have problems Korak? What were we talking about? :opa:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Istahire » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:36 am

KaiRal Windspar wrote:
darthmullet wrote:
Istahire wrote:

Actually, no. All housing is required to have an operational phone line to qualify for federal subsidy, so the occupants can call 911. No active service is required to call 911, but the line has to be there.

Internet might have been a luxury service ten years ago. Now, if a globalized network is a luxury-item, so are your wages, healt-care, electricity, plumbing and food-distribution. A small example of the real impact of network technology is the Aravind Tele-ophthalmology Network http://www.aravind.org/Telemedicine/index.htm. Or what about Kenyan farmers that now gain the opportunity of earning more of the actual value the market puts on their products: http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-47033-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html

Any country or company that does not realize the importance of technology to their further development will sooner or later become insignifficant and perish due to their competitive disadvantage.
Istahire
Silver Player

PostAuthor: korak » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:52 pm

You think you have problems Korak? What were we talking about? opa

Yeah NH4, but I am relatively young still. When I get around 150 like you, then I should expect to forget things. 8-)

*Runs off to hide hoping that NH4 realizes that he would actually never say anything like that about someone he did not like.* :)
korak

PostAuthor: DeadEyeDave » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:22 pm

korak wrote:
I have to report sales online and order my seedcorn and soybeans online. ...At my other job at the school, I have a long report that I have to fill out online each year. They will not take it in any other way and if I do not fill this out then the school will lose certain pay that they get otherwise.

uhhh, are you a farmer/teacher?

farmer1/teacher19?

i'm going to have to do something bout that farmer level korak, you know you just wanted the wisdom bonus from your teaching levels applied to your saves. I'm telling aeveras.
Bad poetry?
Oh noetry!
DeadEyeDave
Scholar

PostAuthor: korak » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:50 pm

uhhh, are you a farmer/teacher?

farmer1/teacher19?

I quit farming a few years back actually. I was running a seed business, farming and a computer business from my house. One of them had to go and when my cousin got another job and quit farming, I could not do it all myself so we rented out the farm.

The technology job came open at the school and I took it because the home computer business was running me crazy and I was not going to have time to spend with my family. I told them that as long as I could keep my seed business that I would take the job.

It works out well. I have an 11th month contract at the school and use my month off to do my seed business (actually other day also, but I just make sure to keep my hours up at the school). They are good to me as long as I keep the network up and running. :)

It is a good combination. I love computers, but I love the farm also, so I get to help on both of them. :)
korak

PostAuthor: KaiRal Windspar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Istahire wrote:Any country or company that does not realize the importance of technology to their further development will sooner or later become insignifficant and perish due to their competitive disadvantage.
No one said the internet was not effective and convenient. By far and large, for a BUSINESS, it's almost a necessity to stay competitive, yes. But the iPhone and related technology is not BUSINESS. It's directly targeted and built for CONSUMER end goods.

As an individual and consumer; you name one vital, municipal and non-entertainment related service that can only be obtained via the internet - just ONE - and I will eat my hat.

Hint: They don't exist.
~ Yantri

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls