Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (n/a)
Total players: 0
Gallery

Links Menu

Would you mind?

Polls for Avlis homepage.

In a small fundraising attempt, would you mind if we put "contextual ads" into the Avlis wiki's?

Sure, put 'em in.
50%
Don't you dare, buster.
24%
I really don't care. Wouldn't bother me enough to care.
26%

Total votes : 183

Would you mind?

PostAuthor: Orleron » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:00 pm

In a small fundraising attempt, would you mind if we put "contextual ads" into the Avlis wiki's?

To see an example, go to http://www.creditcardslists.com.

In the text you will see double-underlined words. When those are clicked or moused over, they show ads. Clicking on an ad produces some revenue for us.

I already tried this on the boards and it was HIGHLY annoying to people, so I took it off. However, I wonder if it wouldn't be so annoying on the wiki's, since they are not used nearly as much.

If people are ok with it, I'll do it. If this poll says no, I won't.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: S?retur » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:58 am

I think what annoys people the moste are those ads which pop up on mouseover - something that will happen quite often, and might interfere when trying to mark some text, etc. Contextual ads marked with a double line to separate them from links likely wouldn't annoy that many people.
Sweet and tart, Narwë is the proverbial Granny Smith of the role-play universe. [Anonymous]
S?retur
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:23 am

I dont like them. Ads are a necessary evil, but annoying adds are just that, annoying. Rollover links are a massive PITA. The income they generate Vs annoyance factor certainly doesn't seem worth it to me. *shrugs*
Talwin Hawkins
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:10 pm

Man, you folks sure don't make things easy. I thought this poll would be a landslide one way or another, to one side. But it's been nearly a tie all the way through.

:?:
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Buddha » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:29 pm

How much money do you make off of the contextual ads each year (approx)? Talwin said he'd donate that much just to keep them off the wikis. :twisted:

EDIT: I think the phenomenon you're seeing in this poll is not a true reflection of love/hate/indifference for contextual ads. It's more of a reflection of wiki use. I'm willing to bet that those who use the wiki heavily vote "no way buster," those that never use it vote "Sure, why not" and those that only hit it occassionally vote indifferent. The bottom line is that the folks that use the wiki most (and have the most opportunity to click on ads) will be annoyed by them and won't click. The folks that say put them on will rarely see them and won't click on them -- but that may just be the skeptic in me talking.

A better measure might be a poll that asks do you love/hate/not-care-about contextual ads.
Buddha
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT+1 (DST)

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:15 pm

Buddha wrote:How much money do you make off of the contextual ads each year (approx)? Talwin said he'd donate that much just to keep them off the wikis. :twisted:

EDIT: I think the phenomenon you're seeing in this poll is not a true reflection of love/hate/indifference for contextual ads. It's more of a reflection of wiki use. I'm willing to bet that those who use the wiki heavily vote "no way buster," those that never use it vote "Sure, why not" and those that only hit it occassionally vote indifferent. The bottom line is that the folks that use the wiki most (and have the most opportunity to click on ads) will be annoyed by them and won't click. The folks that say put them on will rarely see them and won't click on them -- but that may just be the skeptic in me talking.

A better measure might be a poll that asks do you love/hate/not-care-about contextual ads.

Talwin does donate and has done for a long while!

*points to spiffy title*

And i made a big donation for our avlis2 servers! though i know you do as well buddha, so we BOTH rawk!
Talwin Hawkins

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:37 pm

Yeah, that's probably a fair assessment. Oh well, no contextuals then.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Havoulov » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:10 pm

I donate even though i don't have a spiffy title...
Havoulov

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:15 pm

I admit that was my guess as well - especially once I saw the way the vote was going. We all want to help Avlis - we just don't like ads. Some have even been burned by them (not necessarily ones on Avlis) and so don't trust them either.

Either way, the chances are that those who voted for the ads want to help Avlis but would not click on them anyway - so not really much help.

On a related subject - since Orleron cannot say this - guys, we need some more cash to pay for the uber, 'Error500-killing' Web Host please. You all know what a pain those errors are, so please see if you can help a little. :lol:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Buddha » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:49 pm

I am curious though as to the approximate annual revenue you think contextual ads would generate. I'm curious if I can find enough change in the couch and car seats to equal that in a donation. At least now that Tal has backed out. :D
Buddha
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT+1 (DST)

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:51 pm

Buddha wrote:I am curious though as to the approximate annual revenue you think contextual ads would generate. I'm curious if I can find enough change in the couch and car seats to equal that in a donation. At least now that Tal has backed out. :D

On a site like Avlis wiki, perhaps $20/month on a good year. Though it probably wouldn't actually get that high. The AdBrite's these days don't bring in much more than $1/day, though I suspect that may increase again once they figure out what's wrong with the Error Safe problem and people can switch back to their old themes again.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 pm

Boss, given the contentious nature of the adverts, if we can summon up enough support to cover at least that amount, why not ditch the adverts altogether? I am sure there are enough of us willing to cough up that much if it achieves that end - even on top of our existing contributions. :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 pm

Edit - once our Web Host allows us to post or view anything of course. :wink:

Damned Internal Server Errors :cry:

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: TripleAught » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:44 pm

<Shameless Plug>

You can sign up for WFM for $5, $10, or $20 bucks a month and just let it run on auto-pilot for monthly donations to Avlis.

And, of course, you can read and contribute content to the magazine as well.

</Shameless Plug>
The Texas Meet 2007 wrote:Come over here and take off your pants.

The Texas Meet 2010 wrote:I can't unhear that.
TripleAught
World Leader
World Leader

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:57 pm

I couldn't work out how to add another WFM donation, so PayPal to the rescue. :wink:

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: Tony Wazz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Yup yup, we just tossed $100 at Blackparadox.

Of course there are those neat ads about not having a girlfriend....and I keep telling the wife I don't have one....but that whole discussion ends up in a cheerleader outfit with some fluffy handcuffs....so I never get to finish the discussion...*shrugs*

TMI?

Edit: No, I don't wear the outfit, but the cuffs aren't so bad...
Tony Wazz
Sage

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:31 pm

Tony Wazz wrote:Yup yup, we just tossed $100 at Blackparadox.

Of course there are those neat ads about not having a girlfriend....and I keep telling the wife I don't have one....but that whole discussion ends up in a cheerleader outfit with some fluffy handcuffs....so I never get to finish the discussion...*shrugs*

TMI?

Edit: No, I don't wear the outfit, but the cuffs aren't so bad...

bwhaha :lol:
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:57 pm

We demand pictures. :shock: :lol:

Please visit:

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

PostAuthor: Tony Wazz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:16 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:We demand pictures. :shock: :lol:

..eh..... :oops: I think we did that, too.... :oops:
Tony Wazz
Sage