Mikona - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

Aging of NWN

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Since NWN has been getting older, have you been playing Avlis more or less?

More
23%
Less
27%
No change
46%
I don't play Avlis
5%

Total votes : 199

Aging of NWN

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:10 am

Since NWN has been getting older, have you been playing Avlis more or less?
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Drac » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:30 am

I play less because of rl stuff rather than anything related to the game.
Drac
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: PrinceOfCrossbreeds » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:32 am

Drac wrote:I play less because of rl stuff rather than anything related to the game.

+1
PrinceOfCrossbreeds
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GTM-5

PostAuthor: Demonseed » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:49 am

+2
Kard Fynolds, Warrior of Dru'El
Zero Wefer, Sereg'Wethrin Assassin-in-training
Demonseed
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Thalarian Arc'Thass » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:57 am

had you asked a few months/weeks ago, I would have said less.
Look at the IC boards now, they exploded.

A lot of stuff is going on, not only DM- but also Player driven.
NWN is getting old, but Avlis is still very exciting, at least for me. :P
Thalarian Arc'Thass
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: tizmo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:19 am

I don't care how old the game is. I play because of Avlis. And so long as I have the time and Avlis is still fun, I'll continue to play NWN1.

tizmo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT-4

PostAuthor: Vercongetorix » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:52 am

Demonseed wrote:+2

+3
Vercongetorix
Scholar

PostAuthor: Levis Pie » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:03 am

ive actually been playing more 8-)
Member of the Plethora Fan Club!
nwmblondy wrote:*Kisses Levis Pie*
Levis Pie
Sage

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: Speedracer » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:57 am

it's the love of the RP, and the original D&D game that drives NWN. For me it's the perfection of a game that was always bogged down by rolling of dice and looking up of rules. With all the mechanics done for you, it's much more immersing. I would play even there were little or no graphics. Finaly you can tell the DM about your idea without everyone knowing you are up to somthing! Or whisper somthing to a nearby character without the whole room hearing. Two-days worth of Pen-and-Paper RP can be had in hours online with NWN, and until another game does as good a job of providing that for me, at an equil price, I will continue to play.

Long live Avlis!

Speedracer

Location: Saskatchewan, Canada. Time never changes in the land of living skies.
Timezone: GMT -6 year round
DM Avatar: Maleki

PostAuthor: Simon Drat » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:44 am

Speedracer wrote:it's the love of the RP, and the original D&D game that drives NWN. For me it's the perfection of a game that was always bogged down by rolling of dice and looking up of rules. With all the mechanics done for you, it's much more immersing. I would play even there were little or no graphics. Finaly you can tell the DM about your idea without everyone knowing you are up to somthing! Or whisper somthing to a nearby character without the whole room hearing. Two-days worth of Pen-and-Paper RP can be had in hours online with NWN, and until another game does as good a job of providing that for me, at an equil price, I will continue to play.

Long live Avlis!

:prost:

Wow, +1 to all of that. And I've been playing more, too.
Simon Drat
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: tid242 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:45 am

Drac wrote:I play less because of rl stuff rather than anything related to the game.

Agreed...

tizmo wrote:
I don't care how old the game is. I play because of Avlis. And so long as I have the time and Avlis is still fun, I'll continue to play NWN1.

Agreed...

None of the newer games hold much appeal for me. Tried WoW a few times and found the game utterly & hopelessly soul-less and lame. Makes me feel sorry for all the saps playing it who think it's great.

I don't necessarily like Avlis, per se. (which is not to say I dislike Avlis), but Avlis has the community, the refined-ness, and the stability that makes me want to keep playing here.

The last point is very important. I'm not afraid Avlis is going to go away next week out of the blue, and I'm not afraid that Avlis is corrupt and can be trusted to obey the rules of its own laws. One of the fundamental libertarian tenants for prosperity.

-tid242
tid242
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: tid242 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:46 am

Speedracer wrote:it's the love of the RP, and the original D&D game that drives NWN. For me it's the perfection of a game that was always bogged down by rolling of dice and looking up of rules. With all the mechanics done for you, it's much more immersing. I would play even there were little or no graphics. Finaly you can tell the DM about your idea without everyone knowing you are up to somthing! Or whisper somthing to a nearby character without the whole room hearing. Two-days worth of Pen-and-Paper RP can be had in hours online with NWN, and until another game does as good a job of providing that for me, at an equil price, I will continue to play.

Long live Avlis!

Well said!

-tid242
tid242
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Cougar » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:44 am

Less for me but it has more to do with RL issues than the age of the game atm.
I will survive - drunken style
Member of the MadKat / Ghostie / Plethora / Olaf fan club
Cougar
Sage

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: frogmella » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:12 am

+4
= = = =
"In all my experience I have never been in any accident. I never saw a wreck and have never been wrecked nor was I in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort."
~ EJ Smith, Captain of the Titanic.
frogmella
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: MadK@ » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:20 am

I dont think I will ever lose interest with Avlis.
MadK@
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: +8 GMT
DM Avatar: Xenon

PostAuthor: Havoulov » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:38 am

Having fun is ageless.....
Havoulov

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:43 am

RL reducing my time...as is the wife :)

I dont think the type of game makes any difference what so ever. Its all about the quality of what is being provided in terms of activity and opportunities toi interact.

Sure nwn2 looks a step forward visually, but a lot of the core elements are lifted straight out of the nwn1 engine. And the game play has more holes in it that nwn1 when that first came out.
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:20 am

I actually play less - although I am involved with Avlis at least as much, probably more. There is tons of stuff to do in the background now I am Head DM. :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: gwydion2 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:29 am

I play less than I did at my fully obsessed peak, but this has nothing to do with the age of the game.

I don't spend a significant amount of time on other online games, as they don't hold any long term appeal to me.

I am a little busier in RL and play more PnP than I did in the early years of Avlis.
gwydion2
Silver Contributor

Timezone: Gmt+1

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:02 pm

I've been playing a lot more lately. Some of that is from not feeling obligated to fix things ;) But really it's due to the wonderful players and characters that I interact with on IRC and IG.

For me "pretty" has always taken a backseat to story and stability.

I tried Guild Wars once... It has quite a few advantages over NWN: better graphics, continuous areas (no transitions) that are huuuuge and able to support 100's of concurrent clients within proximity of each other. But... Everybody ran (I don't think you even can walk). Virtually all chat was OOC, much of it in 1337. I don't think GW has any sort of moderated events. Basically there's no depth to either the world or the players that grind there.

IMO, NWN2 really needed to hit a grand slam yet it's only managed to get on base due to a walk. Between Atari's dire financial straights and some abysmally stupid design decisions on Obs' part, I just can't see it being nearly as successful a PW platform.

The NWN client is "good enough". Avlis has taken advantage of that and has built something significantly better. Once 1.69 is released, NWN is no longer a moving target. That will allow the community to produce some even more ambitious hacks than NWNX.
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

PostAuthor: korak » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Less here, but not because of the age of things. Graphics have really never affected me much. The game play is what counts and on Avlis, the people are what make the game play.

RL is why I have not been on as much. I have just had a lot more going on.
I hate when I just miss a call by the last ring (Hello? Hello?), but when I immediately call back, it rings nine times and goes to voice-mail. What did you do after I didn't answer? Drop the phone and run away?
korak

Timezone: -5

PostAuthor: Nevyn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:22 pm

I voted less,

Not because of the age of NWN though, RL and the logistics of Australian time zones have worn me down at the moment.
Nevyn
Scholar

PostAuthor: Moonyju » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:48 pm

tizmo wrote:I don't care how old the game is. I play because of Avlis. And so long as I have the time and Avlis is still fun, I'll continue to play NWN1.

+1

RL is gnawing at my leg so that I have less time to play. But otherwise, no change here. :)
Gurky's BOOM theory wrote:Oh.... ! I must Stress this.
'tis ... not a Boom.
*Looks to everyone seriously.*
'tis a BOOM.
Nay, 'tis a BOOM !
Perhaps even a BOOM! !
Moonyju
Sage

PostAuthor: Tony Wazz » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:14 pm

I been playing less because I have been playing NWN2. Now that I completed the SP game. I should be back around Avlis more.

Then again...I do now have Oblivion....

Well, and I have always wanted to make one of my old pnp AD&D into a NWN/NWN2 Campain (Been working on one of the Port Citites).
Tony Wazz
Sage

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Nitro18 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:38 pm

If anything, I'd guess that the age of NWN would only have an impact on the number of new applicant submissions. IMO, I continue playing a game as long as it continues to entertain.
Nitro18
Apprentice Scholar

Next

Return to Avlis Polls