29%
Other internet/accidental
4%
I'm not new
54%

Total votes : 170

New Players: How did you find Avlis?

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:55 pm

For people playing here less than 6 months, how did you find Avlis?
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Fifty » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Good job you included that last option. You know how we all feel an undeniable need to click a button :)
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:02 pm

Fifty wrote:Good job you included that last option. You know how we all feel an undeniable need to click a button :)

:wink:
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Speedracer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:19 pm

A little of two of those options, but I voted found out from a friend.

I played on another PW for a couple of years, and met lots of great role-players there. One of the better players, and one of the more consistant, told me about Avlis. It was to his deep regret that he had let his brother use his account and got banned because of his brother's actions. He told me that Avlis was the best server he had played on out there, so it stuck in my mind. Unfortunatly, as the game ages, less and less players are online, and the PW I loved so much became deserted. Thats when I sadly started looking for another place to spend my time, one with more players to interact with. After trying a few of the remaining PWs and not finding satisfaction I remembered what I had heard about Avlis. (the guy had really raved) First I tried looking on gamespy, figuring I would just sign in and try it out. But I had my password protected servers off the display so I couldn't find it. On to google, read forums to find out if it was worth my time to apply, and decided it looked pretty good. Off with an application and Two days later I was on. Glad to say Avlis surpassed even my greatest hopes. I am well addicted now, and am constantly getting trouble from my wife about playing to much!

Sorry the story was so long-winded, but I wanted to show that even ex-players loved it here!

Speedracer
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Location: Saskatchewan, Canada. Time never changes in the land of living skies.
Timezone: GMT -6 year round
DM Avatar: Maleki

PostAuthor: Rolly Goodbox » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Much the same as Timmon, I had spent a couple years playing on a different server when one of the other players made a post about Avlis. Came to check it out and have been here since.

Rolly
Rolly Goodbox
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Dev_Princess » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:44 pm

Yuppers! Just couldn't resist clicking a button. Thanks Orl :wink:
Dev_Princess
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Orleron » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:25 pm

Dev_Princess wrote:Yuppers! Just couldn't resist clicking a button. Thanks Orl :wink:

No problemo. If the same compulsion went to ads, we'd be bringing in thousands a month. LOL

*studies the non-"I'm not new" data*
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: deejayvee » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:33 am

I've been here just on 6 months, I think. I selected Other internet/accidental.

I was on the official forums for Rome Total War and decided to have a quick look at the "Off Topic" forum. On there someone posted a message asking if anyone knows any good, free online rpg's. One of the first answers was Avlis and as it used NWN, which I owned, I thought I might give it a try. I'd been thinking about trying an online rpg and I struck it lucky with the first one I tried. :)

I've often wondered though, if the person who mentioned Avlis is still playing here, and if the person who asked originally started playing too.
deejayvee
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Li'll Divvil » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:07 am

Speedracer wrote:It was to his deep regret that he had let his brother use his account and got banned because of his brother's actions.

hehe that would be one brother who owed me a set of new NWN discs with authentic key then or he would be a sister after :twisted:
Li'll Divvil

Timezone: GMT +1
DM Avatar: Tobin

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:15 am

Wow, so far it looks like viral marketing is winning. :)

Then again, we haven't been doing as much advertising on NWVault and the Bio boards lately. The one thing I dislike about NWVault is that once your world goes into the Hall of Fame it no longer appears in any of the Top 10 lists on the right sidebar. When we were in that list, we were getting tons of people here.

The other thing that worked well was putting a graphic up on the PW Spotlight on NWVault, but I don't currently have a graphic to use for it.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Xaila » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:11 pm

I actually found out about Avlis through Fuzz in an IRC channel for a Guild Wars guild :P
We're all burning out, fading away
Like the passing light of day...

Player of:
Solveig Tcharov - Friendly Fire Award '11, Skywalker Award '11
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

Timezone: EST (-5/-4 summer)

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:27 pm

Fuzz definitely = accident.

:P
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Ghostie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:32 pm

Even though I'm not "new" I voted, eh, sorry. Started playing late November, so 9 months or so, which has flown by, which is why I consider myself still a newbie.

Nob's fault for me though. He told me about NWN/Avlis.
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.
Ghostie

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:38 pm

Perhaps the googlenoobers are a myth then?
Talwin Hawkins

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: hollybush » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:56 pm

I joined out of self preservation - my other half had been playing for ages and i'd previously been smiling vaugely through avlis conversations and then telling him to shut up when i got bored. But then his best mate joined, and they talked about it alot - maybe even non stop. So i decided that joining Avlis and therefore joining in their conversations was going to be a lot less painless then sticking needles in my eyes to entertain my self while they chatted - which was the only other alternative i could think of at the time. And a couple of months down the line i'm still playing and no longer have needle urges :D
hollybush
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Tony Wazz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:02 pm

Britney Spears wrote:I can resist temptation...Unless it is something I really want!

*taps "I'm not new" and submit*

Meh, I'm weak...
Tony Wazz
Sage

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Fire Monkey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:13 pm

Speedracer wrote:Glad to say ... I am well addicted now, and am constantly getting trouble from my wife...

Gamers are weird :idiot2:
Fire Monkey
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:32 pm

Talwin Hawkins wrote:Perhaps the googlenoobers are a myth then?

Apparently they are! Apparently good ole fashion word of mouth seems to rule the day.

Does anyone use the post card feature we have to send Avlis post cards to their friends? If all our noobs seem to be getting here from word of mouth, the least we could do is spread the word in a cool way I guess.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: downsystem » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:11 pm

Yes i think word of mouth is probably the best way to get others into it.

I got started from from a chick on ran into on yahoo that was into the same type of music im into. Her man was into avlis big time and eventually got her into playing it a little while after i met her on yahoo. Then aproximately at that time i was tired of chatting on yahoo due to never having anything in common with the people you talked with and decided to try my luck at playing an online version of nwn nights, since i already had bought it when it first come out, and never played it online because i didnt know of any online worlds.

After quite a few months of being addicted my brother came over a few times, and needed some help to get his computer running. I was still playing nwn and he is a AD&D pnp fan and needed a fix and a week later come back to my place and told me to get him set up so he could play avlis. Unfortunately he got addicted to.

Ive met other gamers at my work but they usually were already cought up in their own game to give avlis a shot.

I think its hard to get others into a game unless they can test it out and get a feel for it in person, and see what its all about.
downsystem
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: amusedapathy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:51 pm

I confess... i found out about Avlis from my "other half" .... I was playing a PW that he really didn't care for. He played on several PW's and finally found Avlis thru Bioware.... "honey, you have to check out Avlis" .... eventually i came and checked it out... Ack! now I can't leave it alone ;-)
amusedapathy
Sage

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: pp » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:22 pm

I found the servers by logging onto Gamespy and seeing a dozen servers named "CoPaP-Avlis." I thought, "Hey, those servers have a good number of people logged on right now, maybe I should check them out!" The server descriptions said "visit http://www.avlis.org for more information," and that's what I did.

pp
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Krishna » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:37 pm

Last option please.. :lol:
Used to play: Qadir, Kaloc Mageslayer, Gorkon the 'Elf Render', and Klarn the Duce amongst many others(What? If I listed them all a moderator may delete this signature.)
Krishna
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: pstanton » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Krishna wrote:Last option please.. :lol:

+1
High Priest of the Irrelevent

pstanton
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:12 pm

Holy thread bump batman!
Talwin Hawkins

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: jordenk » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:19 pm

IM not new.. but when i discoverd a while back, my friend had told me about persistant worlds and it sounded fun, so i googled and up came avlis, i read the boards, looked at the wiki's and it sounded awesome so i tried it and.. rest history...
Blake Then
Knight Companion of Calazeria
Mage of the Gold Order of the Sand
Minister of Magic of Calazeria

jordenk
Scholar of Fools

Next

Return to Avlis Polls