M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 3
Gallery

Links Menu

Multiple IC posts in different taverns..

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Multiple IC posts in different taverns..

PostAuthor: Significant Owl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:37 am

Please, for the love of god! It's almost spamming.. And you can't possibly go from Port Eridanus to Le'Or in 1 minute.. Please don't do it, anyone who considers? :)
Significant Owl
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: CET

Re: Multiple IC posts in different taverns..

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 am

Signifigant Owl wrote:Please, for the love of god! It's almost spamming.. And you can't possibly go from Port Eridanus to Le'Or in 1 minute.. Please don't do it, anyone who considers? :)

:P

Sorry, I just have 15 minutes break at work so I posted them all at once. :oops: Consider them posted within longer time lapses.
As I could never refuse a woman... ;)
More or less proud player of:

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

DanishPastry wrote: Wtf, "Damar Ogdem's Corpse"! That can only mean... HE HAS ASCENDED TO GODHOOD!!11

I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
Isengrim
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:51 am

Nope....just post them in the avlis tavern...thats what it is for.....avlis wide announcements.....me thinks your spamming your post count :)

not that i'd ever do that
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Krator » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:21 am

Heronimous Fox wrote:Nope....just post them in the avlis tavern...thats what it is for.....avlis wide announcements.....

:!:
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

Re: Multiple IC posts in different taverns..

PostAuthor: JJJ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:09 am

Signifigant Owl wrote:you can't possibly go from Port Eridanus to Le'Or in 1 minute

For official announcements by a large order, surely they have folk to do the actual posting
"Is it life? I would rather be without it, for there is a queer small utility in it. You cannot eat it or drink it or smoke it in your pipe, it does not keep the rain out and it is a poor armful in the dark if you strip it and take it to bed with you after a night of porter when you are shivering with the red passion." - Flann O'Brien

JJJ
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Elong Singalong » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:13 am

I agree with this, i think you can do avlis tavern and one server at the same time but not all the taverns..
playing as:
Elong Singalong (remorted)
Sheela Green
What happends in nijmegen stays in nijmegen! *Blames zoe*
Elong Singalong
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: godloth2 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 am

Reviving a dead horse again :shock:

This as been posted at least 50 times since i join
godloth2

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:52 am

godloth2 wrote:This as been posted at least 50 times since i join

i know....so why havn't people read it....
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Mothandric » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 pm

Heronimous Fox wrote:so why havn't people read it....

+1

Mothandric
Sage

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:21 pm

Ok, ok, I stand corrected, you ... :P

Though JJJ's remark is quite reasonable. ;)

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

DanishPastry wrote: Wtf, "Damar Ogdem's Corpse"! That can only mean... HE HAS ASCENDED TO GODHOOD!!11

I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
Isengrim
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:26 pm

In a small villiage in the Czech Republic (whose name I can't for the life of me recall, it had a lot of consonants in it) there is a manor built by a foreign lord during the height of the Austro-Hungarian Empire's rule. Between the estate and the city center is a long, straight path, lined on both sides by a row of beautiful, tall, gnarled trees a century old. Anywhere along the path you can see the stately, aged manor on one end and the 600 year old town clock tower at the other. So the story goes, when these trees were planted, the lord who lived in the manor had his army stand in single file along each side of this path, spaced evenly, each with a sapling tree in hand. The lord fired a cannon, and each of the soldiers planted his tree at the sound of the firearm going off. The lord demonstrated in one fell swoop his new connection to the town and the discipline of his soldiers, and left a lasting imprint of his stay.

For some reason, every time I see a slew of identical posts, and the argument "guild A has agents all over, they could accomplish something like this," I'm reminded of this little vignette from the past (but I can never remember the name of the town). So you can post across the world simultaneously... why do you? What's the IC reason for it? :P

On that note, I need coffee.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Sojan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:06 pm

Well...my opinion on this is....

let them post where they want to....if it's a guild leader or an army representative (as some NPC) they have the manpower to do this all at once. If YOU are in LeOr, you shouldn't read the other tavern posts anyways!! so why does it bother you to have posts all over the place. If you read them all...you're no more IC than the one who posted this single-handedly. I hope this kind of posts will never come out again.

Like Godloth2 said....it has been on over and over and no real team rulings has ever been done....even if some suggestions has been said.

I hate a lot more when I see a post, supposedly IC, where the poster relates what is going on in his thoughts.....or when you see something happen....and that....in all taverns of the same city at once? if you want people to see something happening on the tavern boards....why not specify the EXACT location so it is more IC? Even if I hate all this, I am not posting on this every 3 months.

Well...sorry for this somewhat ranting post....this is not a perfect world....as RL is not. Different people works different way. Try to have some IC logic and I'm fine with it...

Sojan
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: JJJ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:22 pm

Pathos Street wrote:For some reason, every time I see a slew of identical posts, and the argument "guild A has agents all over, they could accomplish something like this," I'm reminded of this little vignette from the past

The old French court used to have some fun entertainment to go with their dinner. Apparantly, they would line up a group of servants (I seem to remember that they were clergy of some sort, but not sure of this) and ask them to hold hands, one to the next, forming a kind of chain. They were dinning out of doors at the time, so the story goes, and they had a long, long line of people so arranged. Then, at one end they would have a battery and at the other some kind of wire thingy going to earth. Then, switch the thing on and watch the 100 or so people all jump up in the air at the same time.

If I were a guild leader, that's how I would arrange these things.
"Is it life? I would rather be without it, for there is a queer small utility in it. You cannot eat it or drink it or smoke it in your pipe, it does not keep the rain out and it is a poor armful in the dark if you strip it and take it to bed with you after a night of porter when you are shivering with the red passion." - Flann O'Brien

JJJ
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:40 pm

I would like to thank the wemics.

You know 8)

yeah, inside joke. See who can figure out what the hell Im talking about now ;)
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Krator » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:42 pm

Oh, yes, the wemics!

If you do it, get some people to post a similiar note at the same time. Makes it interesting to read them from search newposts :)
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Krator wrote:Oh, yes, the wemics!

If you do it, get some people to post a similiar note at the same time. Makes it interesting to read them from search newposts :)

your to bloody fast. That took you a whole whopping 2 minutes, give someone else a chance eh? :wink:
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:43 pm

Sweet horsolich, what have I done... :roll:

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

Isengrim
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Hamlet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Isengrim wrote:Sweet horsolich, what have I done... :roll:

You fucked up again. :D
#AVLISPLAYERHOUSING
#WHATSHERNAMEAGAIN

Hamlet, please don't kill me
-Plethora

Hamlet
QA's 1st|CCC|PH Fairy|RPoTY 2007
QA's 1st|CCC|PH Fairy|RPoTY 2007

PostAuthor: Significant Owl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:49 pm

Sojan wrote:Well...my opinion on this is....

let them post where they want to....if it's a guild leader or an army representative (as some NPC) they have the manpower to do this all at once. If YOU are in LeOr, you shouldn't read the other tavern posts anyways!! so why does it bother you to have posts all over the place. If you read them all...you're no more IC than the one who posted this single-handedly. I hope this kind of posts will never come out again.

Like Godloth2 said....it has been on over and over and no real team rulings has ever been done....even if some suggestions has been said.

I hate a lot more when I see a post, supposedly IC, where the poster relates what is going on in his thoughts.....or when you see something happen....and that....in all taverns of the same city at once? if you want people to see something happening on the tavern boards....why not specify the EXACT location so it is more IC? Even if I hate all this, I am not posting on this every 3 months.

Well...sorry for this somewhat ranting post....this is not a perfect world....as RL is not. Different people works different way. Try to have some IC logic and I'm fine with it...

My original post wasn't really directed at this being IC, merely that it's annoying and honestly, I consider it almost the same rank as spamming the forum with useless stuff (But only almost, it is IC after all). I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be enough to post one announcement, as was suggested above, because it's not as annoying and spammy.

And besides, if we're at justifying ICly, my character travels a lot and can thus read lots of the same notices in the IG days that pass by while I sleep/do other stuff/Go to school/Whatever.

Just a new request not to spam the boards -too- much, that's all I wanted to do.
Significant Owl

Timezone: CET

PostAuthor: Dark_EK » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Is there some must-do-it-or-die need to post a similar note over and over? I know it might be IC to have it posted in every big city and all. But think of the player, think of the forum space and of the bandwidth. Is it REALLY needed?

Can we just not have one post in avlis tavern and be happy with it? In addition, this makes it easier to those who wish to read replies. Instead of clicking on the very same announcement 8 times to see 1 or 2 new replies to each, it'll all be in the same post.

And for a second, think of what the forums would look like if everyone started doing this...

AAAA announces a special on darksteel masterwork underwear
    AKN announces new potions of 'sleep good at night, wake up better in the morning'
    AJA now has nipple rings of the lich
    Some IC/OOC post
    Announcement from Andrinor's Trust: Get one mark today and recieve two more free!
    Green order needs WEED NOW
    Some IC/OOC post
    Some IC/OOC post
    AKN announces new potions of 'sleep good at night, wake up better in the morning'
    Announcement from Andrinor's Trust: Get one mark today and recieve two more free!
    Some IC/OOC post
    Some IC/OOC post
    Some IC/OOC post
    Some IC/OOC post
    Some IC/OOC post

Do we really want this?
"...and if I don't pay up, I'll go to jail for tax evasion. I'm crazy enough to take on Batman. But the IRS? No, thank you." - The Joker
Dark_EK
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Fifty » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:05 pm

Mothandric wrote:
Heronimous Fox wrote:so why havn't people read it....

+1

+1

It is also annoying as yo uland up with responses in 6 different places. If you actually frequent several of those places you have to read each thread to keep up with each relevant set of responses. And LOTS of people are regulars in Elysia, Ferrell, and T'Nanshi.
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: dannyschil » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:09 pm

And words will be shown in a really small corps.

dannyschil
Scholar

PostAuthor: pincushionman » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:17 pm

godloth2 wrote:Reviving a dead horse again :shock:

It's not a dead horse as long as the issue persists.

Come to think of it, we don't have a "proper forum etiquette" FAQ Announcementified at the top of every forum, where guidelines about posting could be presented. GiantITP has a copy of "Rules of Posting" at the head of every forum. Granted, we're not as stringent as they are, but we do have expectations about how posters should act. Right now, most of the posting guidelines are spread throughout the board in threads such as this, which doesn't really help any.

We have newbie FAQ's and a few on some systems, but those are generally about In-Game behavior (the main exception being the acronym guide in the newbie FAQ). I don't really see anything pertaining to proper board use.

If we had an etiquette FAQ we could present guidelines regarding:
    the use of specific forums (multiple-location IC posts would fall into this category)
    dredging up horsolich topics
    the Random Dicsussions purge
    Private Messages
    IC'ness/OOC'ness of messages
    the fact that not all players are regular board readers
    the fact that some board readers are never IG
    useful info for the "Location" tag
    signature rules and guidelines (including pointing out the "don't use sig" post option)
    NWS warnings
    when to use Ask the Team, when to use bugtracker
    when to forego the forums and hit the Wiki
    the FIOG stamp
    etc.
As you can see...there are a whole slew of topics specific to board use that aren't necessarily covered elsewhere, and definitely not covered together in one appropriate guide. And that appropriate place is an Announcement in the forums, not the wiki (just saying that before somebody points out it might be there, or goes and tries to put it there), because info about the boards should be with the boards.

Just a thought. 8)
Suuhoroh . Shaahesk fighter . Journeyman armorwright, Avlis Arms and Armor Association . Corporal, M'Chek Army Blackhawk Company
Cookie (Amakiir) . Kobold chef extrordinaire - he thinks

lizard shields viewtopic.php?t=53138
timezone calc http://www.worldtimeserver.com/time_converter.aspx
AAAA recruitment viewtopic.php?t=62035
pincushionman
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Crimzonfist » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:49 pm

im for keeping things in character, which is makes multiple tavern posts necsessary. cause for one im not gonna read things that are posted in a city im not in. but on the other hand i don't want to see the guilds take up a whole forum page with 3 or 4 different posts cause they had to post in all the cities. this got me thinking why not use the avlis tavern board and put an ooc line at the top stating which taverns that particualar post can be found in. that way for those of us that want to keep things ic we can still pick tavern posts that we would find ic to read and avoid the rest. at the same time that would keep the forum boards from getting cluttered. i think this would make everybody happy.

just a thought
Member - Ivory Order of the Sun
Journeyman of the AKN

"True integrity is doing the right thing, even when no ones watching."
Crimzonfist
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: loki70 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:16 pm

The Avlis Tavern is a mystic place that is located everywhere and no where at once. Posting 8 posts for an auction is overkill. Announcing something to all of Avlis is again, overkill. I remember getting posts in Kuras for things happening in Elysia. So, if you want to shout something to all of Avlis IC, use the Avlis Tavern. Getting married, use the Avlis Tavern. Auction, Avlis Tavern. You just cybered for the first time, keep that between you and Micah. Umm, anyway, the Avlis Tavern is underused, and the individual cities overused.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion