Ferrell - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Where should Orleron place his limited resources?

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Where should Orleron place his limited resources?

Expanding the lore of NWN Avlis
22%
Writing the Avlis pnp Sourcebook
11%
Whipping the Avlis Team into shape!
42%
Helping to recruit new CoPaP worlds
3%
Increasing the CoPaP playerbase
6%
Getting the Ithilla spelljamming server online
15%

Total votes : 315

PostAuthor: Orleron » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:42 am

I agree with thelamia. The major thing that will cause Avlis PW to die in the next few years is choice. Even if we do not port it to NWN2, which we may not, it will still be around. Granted, it will probably be a much smaller playerbase and a much smaller team, and maybe even fewer servers, but so long as people are willing to serve on the team and play here, I see no reason to take it down.

The sourcebook is actually a step towards NWN2. *gasp* No, it's not fuzzy logic. :) IF, and that's a big IF, we do NWN2, the time period will be long after current server time, probably one or two thousand years. A lot is going to change in that time. Sometime this summer I'm going on vacation, probably with ceardan and his family, and we're going to sit by the beach and fast forward everything. The sourcebook is a record of what was.

The thing about Avlis pnp that many do not realize because it hasn't been played by many in pnp is that it's very time-flexible. I've run campaigns on Avlis in many time periods already.... Fairy War, Great War, Wastelands explosion, and the time period just before server-up. With a sourcebook, you will be able to adapt to practically any of the periods, up to the time just after the Second Fairy War.

By fast forwarding time, we develop a new background for a possible NWN2 server, but again, that's a big "if". I'm not a graduate student with 16 hours free per day to build a new world. The Team would have to play a much bigger role than it did the first time, and that's saying a LOT because right now there would not be an Avlis without the Team. I would have had to take it down around the time my kids were born 10 months ago.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: TripleAught » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:04 am

I voted for expanded Avlis NWN lore because NWN is the platform that I know Avlis from and will most likely be able to continue with.

After reading Orleron's post above, I have to agree that the Sourcebook makes the most sense from the standpoint of "overall" Alvis continuation.

Currently, I think the team is doing a great job, there will always be policing that needs to be done, but I think that the community overall is supportive of the teams efforts.

Being able to let the team run the current world is a major step towards creating Avlis in NWN2. If that happens, I think you will find that there will be many people willing and able to build areas.

Personally, I think that Avlis is wonderful but in some ways a victim of it's own success. The team is dedicated and hard working but there are so many players that the supply of builders/DMs can't keep up with the demand. It has been mentioned that a reset of the community, by switching to NWN2, would have some merit. And while I agree, I think the hardest part of the change-over would be too great an influx of players onto servers that are still being developed.

The Srouce book would allow builders to get familiar with the world and would help make the transition, if not painless at least quicker.

Alvis might survive as a NWN1 game, but as computer gamers we are interested in the latest and greatest *points to the people who have gone off to Guild Wars* and because of that, if NWN2 provides a decent toolset, it will be the first serious competition that NWN1 has had for fan-build online gaming.

My guess is that the player base could handle NWN2 coming out without Avlis switching over, but I don't think the team can handle it. I think the team will have a harder time recovering DMs and builders when someone leaves. So, long story short. Orl, work on the Sourcebook.
The Texas Meet 2007 wrote:Come over here and take off your pants.

The Texas Meet 2010 wrote:I can't unhear that.
TripleAught
World Leader
World Leader

PostAuthor: KeirannHalcynn » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:29 am

hhmm....sounds good. I didn't know that NWN2 was coming out soon (relatively)
Get all you can...can all you get...and sit on the can...

KeirannHalcynn
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Arnimane » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:24 am

I voted option: Lore.

The team should not be whipped, but flogged....... repeatedly....and forced to listen to muzac. :twisted:

**truth be told, I think Avlis is a wonderful place to come play. THank you for the privledge of coming to visit. Any involvement you can share will only make the place better**
Lead me not unto temptation...I know the way.

Arnimane
Scholar

PostAuthor: Kaffine » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:54 am

Hey yo

Well I voted with pure selfishness in my heart...

But would have added (cus I know you wouldn't) one other option

Orleron should take a holiday cus he works so hard?

Kudos to Orleron, I've run a small P/T.CounterStrike server before with a forum attatched to it and OMG what a lot of time I had to spend on returning posts, pm's and updating the server constantly so It wouldn't get boring..It's a full time job..

In awe

Kiril Threndor
You , You and You follow me...

The rest of you PANIC

Kaffine
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Deider » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:44 am

Didn't vote, but if I did, it'd be for getting whipped :D

Avlis is going to be the last NWN1 persistent world. That's not a prediction, that's a promise. As other PWs die, some of their players will go looking for another PW to play on, and they will come here. It's already happened, and it will continue to happen. And I know that some folks on the team will stick around until the last Avlis NWN1 server goes down. Hell, if the rest of you log off to play NWN2, then I'll finally have an excuse to stop DMing and actually log on and play. And there will be no lag :lol:

Also, like others have said, there are a lot of us team members now, and we could definitely use some guidance, someone to set some priorities for projects and stuff. And we often get World Info questions that only The Boss can answer.

Plus, it's just plain good to have Orl around. :)
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Jhevon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:59 am

Deider wrote:Hell, if the rest of you log off to play NWN2, then I'll finally have an excuse to stop DMing and actually log on and play

Let me know when that happens, and I'll finally get off my ass and apply to be a DM ...

:twisted:

Jhevon

Jhevon
Silver Lifer

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: choraldances » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:59 pm

Anyone who wrote:The team should not be whipped, but flogged....... repeatedly....and forced to listen to muzac

Slow down!

My little black book is running out of space!

"We're not seeing [things] as they are, we are seeing as we are." Talmut

"Science, in its arrogance, may reject faith, yet it should use spirituality to illumine its way. Faith, in its ignorance, may reject science, yet it should use science to inform its way." W.D.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: TiVO25 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:28 pm

*votes for "give the team members a salary" and sits back, waiting for all the cookies*

:wink:
You can't stop the signal.

"Every calling is great when greatly pursued."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
TiVO25
Sage

PostAuthor: Drysh » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:56 am

dougnoel wrote:I voted for the sourcebook. The team's in good shape already. I like the idea of answering questions on the boards with, "The answer is in the sourcebook! Go buy it!"

Great idea!

The story behind Avlis is what makes this server alive. This is what will make possible to port Avlis to any kind of computer game. I don't think you should expend much time in rules and such, but story. How about Avlis novel? That would be great!

My answer is Avlis lore. Be it whatever you want: sourcebook, NWN, novel, etc. You are the only one that can do that! So let the Team be the Team, and make yourself the creative mind behind it. Write a book!

EDIT: I voted wrongly! Remove one from whip the team and add one to sourcebook!
Drysh
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT -3

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:53 am

I voted for whipping the Team back into shape. Especially if it means seeing Orl DMing here and there. My characters have personally felt the glorious pain of Orl's DM love (death by Bone Golem!). It is a thing of beauty. Below is an actual screenshot taken from the DM client.

Honest.

ACTIVE CHARACTERS: Casey Landry, Jessie Morrice
SOMETIMES CHARACTERS: Silinde, Luthias
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Midknight » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:41 am

Tough call, toss-up between the lore and the Ithilla project. While it's the only server that uses the unique planar traveling and ship systems, i think that if it does get running a lot of the tech can be reverse-engineered onto the other CoPaP servers - own a ship on Avlis, or an airship on Hala? (not sure about the airship, don't regularly play on Hala). Maybe some sort of deep desert skimmer for Abyss404? Benefits to one CoPaP server help all the others to an extent; so all of the projects are quite time-worthy.
"I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation."
-George Bernard Shaw
Midknight
Scholar

PostAuthor: choraldances » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:50 am

Buhahaha, that's funny Manny :)
"We're not seeing [things] as they are, we are seeing as we are." Talmut

"Science, in its arrogance, may reject faith, yet it should use spirituality to illumine its way. Faith, in its ignorance, may reject science, yet it should use science to inform its way." W.D.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Croton » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:35 am

I initially voted for expanding Lore, but I'd like to change the vote to Expanding playerbase.

With new servers expected & new worlds, it means dilution.

I'm sure there are planty of dieing servers out there which the person who runs it could be convinced to send their players to Avlis.

Since NWN is 3 years old, there is'nt going to be a huge influx of new players, so players from other servers really is the last source. As each server falls away, the players may stop playing NWN, or jump somewhere else. it would be nice for them to jump here, and the best way to ensure that would be to have the owner of the server recommend it.

Just my opinion I guess.

Croton

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:30 am

Building from what Croton mentions, maybe some coverage outside of the bioware community would be possible. The platform is fairly irrelevant IMHO, its the combinaiton of team, the enviroment thats been created, its players and the storyline that makes this place unique.

I often see little reviews of persistent worlds in the printed press. How about a press release or two 'Why does this persistent world grow as other fall away' or 'wtf motivates all this effort' sort of thing. Anyone have some journalist contacts?
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: denor firefly » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:51 am

I like that press idea. placing this in a magezines of pc games or such will attract new players. even people who doesn't know the game.
Player of Swordmaster Arkn'sterod Bloodsaik, Erin Whisperhill and loads of alts

Erin Whisperhill ~ Nature Pwns YOU
denor firefly
Sage

PostAuthor: Vercongetorix » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:39 pm

dougnoel wrote:How about Avlis novel? That would be great!

That might not be such a bad idea. Or at least a collection of Avlis based short stories. You could use the Fanfic as a source or put someone in charge of collecting short stories for each server and then submit the best of the best to Orleron and the team for final approval. We could then either publish it ourselves (my brother works in the print industry and might be able to do it) or see if a big publishing house would do it.

Just an idea. I personally voted for the flogging of the team. If for no other reason than I visualize someone whipping a poor DM while listening to "Let's Get Physical". Man that cracks me up every time I think about it. :twisted:
A one time regular player before being pwned by RL.
Vercongetorix
Scholar

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:41 pm

*wonders if its only the DMs that will get whipped, or if the area managers can be too*

Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Croton » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:21 pm

My thoughts would be to write a letter directed at the leaders/owners of servers. The letter would explain the inevitable future of NWN, and the need to consolidate the number of servers in order to maintain player numbers.

1. Most players left are not Pwr Gamers. IMO, they've mostly long gone onto other newer games.

2. Most players yet enjoy the game because of the RP and unending story possible by good PW.

3. If smaller servers with just a few players would be willing to move to Avlis, then we could get an influx of good minded, experienced players, and atleast 1-2 people with good abilities with the tool set, scripting, DMing, etc. I don't think that adding worlds to the confederation is going to help, because I think there would still be the dilution effect, so the only option would be for non affiliated servers to abandon theirs, and jump to Avlis (or other affiliated worlds).

I firmly believe that players will play longer in Avlis then they would if they were on another server.

If this letter got sent to as many world leaders/owners as possible, I'm sure some would take the offer.

Croton

Spelljammer

PostAuthor: raistlin_kell » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:33 am

If you want to know why i voted for spelljammer go to amazon.com and do a search for "Cloakmaster Cycle"... totally awesome reading. enuf said :shock:

raistlin_kell
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Veilan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:19 pm

More story DMs :P.
Veilan
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:42 pm

I voted for other. But then you knew I would, Boss, and you also know what I'm referring to. :D

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: demon_hunter » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:56 pm

I voted for lore. I don't think that the team needs to be beated at all. In all honesty, i think they rock. But a PNP book would be way cool. I DM for pnp, and it would be so cool to be able to incorporate avlis into that.
When given the choice between two evils, I chose the one i've never done.
demon_hunter
Knight of Useless Drivel

Voted CoPaP

PostAuthor: Hexminder » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:41 am

I voted helping bring CoPaP worlds online... that is what drew me here. Exploring new worlds gives something for higher level characters to do... and for someone like myself with limited time, it allows my investment in one or two characters to be useful in many new worlds and ways - limitless ways, actually.

Plus you have done so well with Avlis, it is time to seed your success and have it spread, IMO. The CoPaP thing for me is the clincher.

:D
" I'm out for a while. I'm in the out out from the in in out in - it's far out how the brain patterns are payed for to make an out an in. Who's to say if you are what, who, where, why."
-Charles Manson (excerpt from a postcard April 2005)

Hexminder
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Hi Mate » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:43 am

Whip that team into shape man!! go!
Hi Mate
Apprentice Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls