M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Best PC based, D&D-style RPG series ever?

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Best PC based, D&D-style RPG series ever?

Arcanum
3%
Asheron's Call
1%
Baldur's Gate
47%
Diablo
1%
Everquest
1%
Final Fantasy
4%
Icewind Dale
4%
Might & Magic
2%
Morrowind
10%
Planescape
18%
Thief
2%
Ultima
5%
Wizards & Warriors
No votes
Wizardry
2%

Total votes : 380

PostAuthor: Aloro » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:19 pm

bensinn wrote:
dougnoel wrote:Gold Box all the way baby! 8)

There was nothing like Pool of Radiance at the time. The gold box series also had Forgotten Relams Unlimited Adventures - a toolset that allowed players to create their own worlds - and the original Neverwinter Nights (online.) Sound familiar?

ahh a good point.. but do you REM a cheap little game called Adventure Construction Set? played it on an apple II+ think it was the first to let you make your own worlds and adventures... very cool....anybody else play this one?

The Gold Box games were very fun at the time, no question. And yes, of COURSE I had (and played endlessly with) Adventure Construction Set. :D

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Papainhell » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:16 am

ZORK! now that just brought me back to the reason I started playing video game RPGish games. Man my best friend and I spent much time playing the first Zork.

Found a good online version, seemed to be all there.

http://thcnet.net/zork/index.php
Playing as:
Master Odel Helmsplitter
Odel Helmsplitter- Hammer Fist Stylist, monk of The Order of The Dragon.
Papainhell
Sage

Timezone: Time?

PostAuthor: Jskee » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:30 am

The Original Boot Hill was the best PnP game ever created. :D

Jskee
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Tunic » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:17 am

FurrorNos wrote:Where is Eye of the Beholder? That was my favorite DnD PC game...

Besides that, I loved Arcanum.

Yup, I voted for BG cos Eye of the Beholder wasn't there, and Arcanum was just too buggy to get a vote, although I did enjoy it otherwise.
<Dimotane> man, using Fuzz's nuts for therapy is a GOOD idea.
Tunic
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Xandor Amakiir » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:32 am

Baldurs gate off course, that were the roots of Xandor lay :)
Journeyman to the AKN
Skald of Fury
Owner of the Lore Shop "Elysia"

Stories of a 1001 planes...

Xandor Amakiir
Silver Member

PostAuthor: The hand04 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:42 am

BG hands down.
"Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom without lengthy operations in the field." Sun Tzu, Art of War.

The hand04
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:16 am

Actually, the only other one on the list that I have played is Ultima. And I voted for it, because its been around so long.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Eliwyn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:48 pm

I voted for Wizadry. How many of you have played that game. When I played was shen it was still on DOS and all you saw was a balck and green corridor and alomst every thing else was text based. Graph Paper was my best friend. Ah I love to play that game when I was 10.
Eliwyn O'Shea

((OOC Quotes:
No matter where you go, there you are.
by Buckaroo Bonzai

Computer games dont affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, wed be running around in darkened rooms. Munching on pills and listening to repeatitive music.
by Anonymous

Just because Im paranoid, doesnt mean they arent after me.
by Lazarus Long

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
by Lazarus Long
))
Eliwyn
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Yau » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:16 pm

only played baldur's gate 2 + throne of bhaal. after 3 attempts i couldnt get into BG1 or torment.

BG2 was the best RPG ive played ever. took me about half a year to do it too casually, and its got the best story and experience for a game ive ever played.

final fantasy 7 was memorable too. shame about torment though coz i hear its good but the game system is so dated now i cant play it (cant even play bg2 now)

also NWN is utter shite. the story is poor... the whole thing is poor sep multiplayer, and thats still flawed.
Don't Poke the Newbies
Gar'ra'lsh - adolescent gnoll
Yau

PostAuthor: Final Shinryuu » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:25 pm

Just reinstalled Torment yesterday, and I'm instantly re-hooked. This has got to be the ninth or tenth time I'm playing through. :wink:
Final Shinryuu
Sage

PostAuthor: BaldManFromHell » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:48 pm

FurrorNos wrote:Where is Eye of the Beholder? That was my favorite DnD PC game...

Besides that, I loved Arcanum.

Eye of the beholder was good thank you sega :D

BaldManFromHell

PostAuthor: Gairus » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:56 pm

Especially the inspiring finale!

C:/

Gairus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Eliwyn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:36 am

Aloro wrote:
bensinn wrote:
dougnoel wrote:Gold Box all the way baby! 8)

There was nothing like Pool of Radiance at the time. The gold box series also had Forgotten Relams Unlimited Adventures - a toolset that allowed players to create their own worlds - and the original Neverwinter Nights (online.) Sound familiar?

ahh a good point.. but do you REM a cheap little game called Adventure Construction Set? played it on an apple II+ think it was the first to let you make your own worlds and adventures... very cool....anybody else play this one?

The Gold Box games were very fun at the time, no question. And yes, of COURSE I had (and played endlessly with) Adventure Construction Set. :D

- Aloro

They have put those all back out in a set. I bought it here at Fry's (big electronic store here in houston). I have not seen it since then but I got my copy :good:
Eliwyn O'Shea

((OOC Quotes:
by Buckaroo Bonzai

Computer games dont affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, wed be running around in darkened rooms. Munching on pills and listening to repeatitive music.
by Anonymous

by Lazarus Long

by Lazarus Long
))
Eliwyn
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Eliwyn » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:37 am

Aloro wrote:
bensinn wrote:Gold Box all the way baby! 8)

- Aloro

They have put those all back out in a set. I bought it here at Fry's (big electronic store here in houston). I have not seen it since then but I got my copy :good:
Eliwyn O'Shea

((OOC Quotes:
by Buckaroo Bonzai

by Anonymous

by Lazarus Long

by Lazarus Long
))
Eliwyn
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: pedsdmd » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:28 pm

Sorry, I have to go alittle old school

BARDS TALE III

Might Magic had the Uberest Gear and the monsters most likely to pawn you that I have ever seen

pedsdmd
Scholar

PostAuthor: mighty_alcibie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:01 pm

BG2. Amazing, amazing. The storyline, the interaction with the NPCs, the romances, you name it.

I have Torment, but I haven't played it yet, but I will, hopefully soon.

I love games with excellent story-lines and interactions.

:D

mighty_alcibie
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:48 pm

I love seeing this partiulcar thread resurrected. Means I get to plug Planescape: Torment yet again :)
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: GHENGIZ.KHAN » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:05 pm

lol, the old polls are the best. 19 months later and I still say BG
Nothing thats worth having in this world comes easily.

GHENGIZ.KHAN
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Tigg » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:31 pm

Oh all the time I spent on Ultima... damn that game was good. :D when I first played it on the Apple II I was like... omfg... I obsessed on that series for a long time, up 'til like Ultima V. Then ended up coming back to Ultima Online for a couple years too.

ArmoredSaint wrote:Bards Tale and Zork did rock!

You guys are getting old school on me here!

Bard's Tale... pretty cool... not Ultima, and the engine was a little awkward as I recall, but still good fantasy D&D-style goodness.

Zork I still have a sense of shame from, from breaking down and buying a cheat book to beat it. :oops: damn maze... damn thief. *mutters* though in all fairness the 'looping' aspect of the maze was kind of cheap if you ask me...

renedq wrote:i like the old school Tunnels of Doom.

If you don't know that game, you never played D&D from a cassette.

holy crap did you have a Vic-20?? :lol: me too, then upgraded to the C64 which was sufficiently advanced past it as to be indistinguishable from magic ;)

bensinn wrote:but do you REM a cheap little game called Adventure Construction Set? played it on an apple II+ think it was the first to let you make your own worlds and adventures... very cool....anybody else play this one?

Yeah but my worlds sucked, lol

What else... Island of Kesmai was one I played for awhile, anyone ever try that? My first MMORPG. Got really frustrated then decided to try my first-ever female character. Within like I week I'd been given every item in the game and ushered through all the quests. :lol: A real eye-opener, that, heheh.

Asheron's Call.. hmm. I used to play the PK server there and pwned this one guy so completely over a period of time that he freaked out and swore he would find me and kill me RL. I really think he meant it too.... :shock: still a little scared from that....

I'd like to give a nod to Arcanum for having a rich story line (though the game was buggy as someone else said) and for indulging a pet setting of mine, steampunk. Thank goodness there's not a good steampunk NWN server (or even one at all) or I might never have found Avlis!

Wizardry, Might & Magic, good, yes. Also spent a lot of time on one for the C64 called Temple of Apshai, which was very D&D like.

All this is making me realize, though, I think playing NWN has completely destroyed any enjoyment of a single-player RPG game for me. I need the human interaction now... :) When I take a break but still want to play something, I go for computer pinball... fast, twitchy, mindless, and over pretty quick.
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
Tigg
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Zarithar Savageclaw » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:07 am

I'm going to have to go with Baldur's Gate as well, with honorable mention going to Icewind Dale. Planescape was a good game, but I just couldn't get into the setting. I feel the need to add a shout out to World of Warcraft as well. While roleplaying even on the RP servers is difficult, the game world has a deep and interesting storyline. Also, there are some great D20 Rpg manuals put out by Sword & Sorcery which use and expand the Warcraft setting. 8)

Zarithar Savageclaw
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: apandapion » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:40 am

HarveyH wrote:
Liartes wrote:Torment. Hands-down. If you don't vote for it, you haven't played it.

I agree.

I couldn't get into it.

apandapion
Contributor

PostAuthor: Levis Pie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:10 am

Yeah it's all about Baldur's Gate. But which was your fav? Mine was the first one *shrugs* Don't know why.
Member of the Plethora Fan Club!
nwmblondy wrote:*Kisses Levis Pie*
Levis Pie
Sage

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: Zarithar Savageclaw » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:58 pm

Levis Pie wrote:Yeah it's all about Baldur's Gate. But which was your fav? Mine was the first one *shrugs* Don't know why.

I liked the first one better as well. It was more focused and centered on your character. Don't get me wrong, BG2 was great but I enjoyed the first one more.

Zarithar Savageclaw
Squire of Babble

Previous

Return to Avlis Polls