Server Totals
Deglos - (1)
Underdark - (1)
Ferrell - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Elysia - (0)
M'Chek - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Least likely to be considered music:

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Least likely to be considered music:

Blues
0
No votes
Country
29
14%
Electronica
30
14%
Hip hop / Rap
110
52%
Jazz
4
2%
Pop
9
4%
Punk
11
5%
Metal
16
8%
Reggae
1
0%
 
Total votes : 210

PostAuthor: Isengrim » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 pm

gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
fyrmin wrote: and because i once went out with a girl who loved country and after i started hating her (but of course dragged out the relationship for as long as possible... im a giver you see) it was only natural to hate everything associated with her.


Isn't that a country song in itself :wink:
Needs to have the dog burning down and the house running away. I got that right, right?


Maybe when they broke up, she burned his house, stole his dog and left with his pick-up :wink:
Wait, this is modern Western...Which means that the dog stole his truck, ran over his wife, crashed into the house and set it on fire, and they all died in a deadly conflagration. He didn't find out about it until he came home from getting laid off from the, wait for it, truck factory :D I think I have a hit.

The old joke is, if you play a Country song backwards, his truck gets returned, his wife takes him back, and his dog comes home.


Gah.. we both forgot the gunrack :?


Maybe the dog stole the truck after one? ;)
As I could never refuse a woman... ;)
More or less proud player of:

Ialath Fentellon,
V'sher Shal'ess,
Vittoria Boreas

DanishPastry wrote: Wtf, "Damar Ogdem's Corpse"! That can only mean... HE HAS ASCENDED TO GODHOOD!!11


I killed a PC and all I got was this lousy T-shirt... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0455.html
User avatar
Isengrim
Silver Contributor
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:41 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland (Winter: GMT +1, Summer: +2)

PostAuthor: fyrmin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:01 pm

Isengrim wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
fyrmin wrote: and because i once went out with a girl who loved country and after i started hating her (but of course dragged out the relationship for as long as possible... im a giver you see) it was only natural to hate everything associated with her.


Isn't that a country song in itself :wink:
Needs to have the dog burning down and the house running away. I got that right, right?


Maybe when they broke up, she burned his house, stole his dog and left with his pick-up :wink:
Wait, this is modern Western...Which means that the dog stole his truck, ran over his wife, crashed into the house and set it on fire, and they all died in a deadly conflagration. He didn't find out about it until he came home from getting laid off from the, wait for it, truck factory :D I think I have a hit.

The old joke is, if you play a Country song backwards, his truck gets returned, his wife takes him back, and his dog comes home.


Gah.. we both forgot the gunrack :?


Maybe the dog stole the truck after one? ;)


i feel so used!
Kumar: How were Katie Holmes' tits?
Goldstein: You know the Holocaust?
Kumar: Yeah?
Goldstein: Picture the opposite of that!
Kumar: Nice!
User avatar
fyrmin
Scholar
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:16 am
Location: The loneliest rice paddy (GMT +9)

PostAuthor: Beautiful Emptiness » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:01 pm

I can tolerate Hip Hop to a point but Rap ....not really, except for that Eminem or Slim Shady guy because his lyrics are comical so I voted for Hip Hop/Rap.

Darkfire wrote:*goes to head bang to some death metal smashing more brain cells, causing him to not know what Electronica is*


*quickly puts a brick in front of you so your forehead hits it and quickly runs off laughing* bwa hahahaha :wink:
User avatar
Beautiful Emptiness
Squire of Babble
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:43 am

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:06 pm

fyrmin wrote:
Isengrim wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
fyrmin wrote: and because i once went out with a girl who loved country and after i started hating her (but of course dragged out the relationship for as long as possible... im a giver you see) it was only natural to hate everything associated with her.


Isn't that a country song in itself :wink:
Needs to have the dog burning down and the house running away. I got that right, right?


Maybe when they broke up, she burned his house, stole his dog and left with his pick-up :wink:
Wait, this is modern Western...Which means that the dog stole his truck, ran over his wife, crashed into the house and set it on fire, and they all died in a deadly conflagration. He didn't find out about it until he came home from getting laid off from the, wait for it, truck factory :D I think I have a hit.

The old joke is, if you play a Country song backwards, his truck gets returned, his wife takes him back, and his dog comes home.


Gah.. we both forgot the gunrack :?


Maybe the dog stole the truck after one? ;)


i feel so used!


Isn't that another country song too :wink:
User avatar
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM
 
Posts: 7181
Images: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:25 am
Location: Republic of Texas
Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:30 pm

Curois wrote:I disagree with everything in this poll, because for almost every genre stated I can name examples that definitely earn the label "music" and examples that clearly prove that there's no music involved whatsoever :)

Yes...even with "Jazzzz". Has anyone ever tried to listen to modern free-jazz? No? That's not music...It's as little music as Stockhausen is, or hardcore techno, or 50 cents.




+1 I agree with Curois, but the ones I listen to the least are country, hip-hop and rap.

As an aside, where is the world music option?
Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing, ring-ting tingle-ing, too
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you
Outside the snow is falling and friends are calling "yoo hoo"
User avatar
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester
 
Posts: 6161
Images: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:16 am
Location: Ohio
Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Have these guys who voted hip hop/rap ever listened to country?

And who doesn't like world music? I'll deathplane anyone who disses Natacha Atlas and Transglobal Underground.
User avatar
Tangleroot
Silver Member
 
Posts: 2545
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:11 pm
Location: Forever in the wilderness.

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:57 pm

Tangleroot wrote:And who doesn't like world music? I'll deathplane anyone who disses Natacha Atlas and Transglobal Underground.


*chuckles* I didn't say I didn't like it. I asked why wasn't it listed. :D
Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing, ring-ting tingle-ing, too
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you
Outside the snow is falling and friends are calling "yoo hoo"
User avatar
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester
 
Posts: 6161
Images: 40
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:16 am
Location: Ohio
Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Beautiful Emptiness » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:03 pm

Tangleroot wrote:Have these guys who voted hip hop/rap ever listened to country?

And who doesn't like world music? I'll deathplane anyone who disses Natacha Atlas and Transglobal Underground.


I've listened to country pooh before, it's not as bad as rap :crazy2:

Haven't really listened to world music much so I can't diss it yet :wink: ... wouldn't that one dudette Enya fall under that catagory? X:|
User avatar
Beautiful Emptiness
Squire of Babble
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:43 am

PostAuthor: loki70 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:05 pm

gutemensch wrote:
fyrmin wrote:
Isengrim wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
loki70 wrote:
gutemensch wrote:
fyrmin wrote: and because i once went out with a girl who loved country and after i started hating her (but of course dragged out the relationship for as long as possible... im a giver you see) it was only natural to hate everything associated with her.


Isn't that a country song in itself :wink:
Needs to have the dog burning down and the house running away. I got that right, right?


Maybe when they broke up, she burned his house, stole his dog and left with his pick-up :wink:
Wait, this is modern Western...Which means that the dog stole his truck, ran over his wife, crashed into the house and set it on fire, and they all died in a deadly conflagration. He didn't find out about it until he came home from getting laid off from the, wait for it, truck factory :D I think I have a hit.

The old joke is, if you play a Country song backwards, his truck gets returned, his wife takes him back, and his dog comes home.


Gah.. we both forgot the gunrack :?


Maybe the dog stole the truck after one? ;)


i feel so used!


Isn't that another country song too :wink:
Yep, I think I heard that one at the line dance. Could be wrong, there was a lot of Budweiser involved, and some guy was trying to make it with the electric bull, so.....*shrugs*
User avatar
loki70
QA Resource
 
Posts: 6992
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:34 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Gh0zt » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:27 pm

You're right Hip Hop is NOT music its a lifestyle. Why do people in the mainstream keep listing it as music is beyond me. Rap is music however as no one made themselves god of song and declared that you actually have to sing to make music. Music is lyrics sometimes not over melodies and beats that people enjoy listenting to as far as I know. I figured that rap would get many votes for as much as I hate stereotyping most of the time when dealing with the internet rap gets a bad well...rap. I also listen to rock/metal/death metal a little pop and almost anything that I like. Will try anything once and have tried country more than once and still can't stand it. (some songs are exceptions however) Therefore I voted country although I agree this poll should have been which do you like the least rather than which would you not consider music because no one is truthful although they certainly have the right in the free world to define melodies with or without lyrics or singing rather as not being music when in all TECHNICALITIES (don't care if that is a word or not) Anything can be call music if people can nod their head or dance to it.
-Ae'un Kahn, Insanity at its finest.
-Kakos-Asteri Kahn, Dragonari Warrior
-Kahn The Dark Vasharan Warrior Raw Unadulterated Hate
-Enzaneti Sighkopaf, Nutjob Sorcerer
-Hawk Bodyravager, Half-Orge Druid of Dagath


Devishlishly Clever
-The Immortal Daffy Duck

Gh0zt
Lord of Blithering Idiots
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:22 am
Location: S.Korea GMT + 9

PostAuthor: Defender » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:36 pm

Electronica ad hip-hop/rap are not music. Music requires musical instruments, not a computer. Simple as that.

Country, while can be deemed music by many, maybe. But it is music without heart and soul none the less. Allow me to explain. Country is heartless and soulless for the shear fact that the 99.9% of the time, the person singing the song had nothing to do this the actual writing of that song, but instead bought the damn thing from someone who only writes. If the singer has no connection to the song, then how is it possible that they can honestly care about the meaning of it?

Metal, rock, blues, jazz, classical can all be deemed music because it normally does not voilate these simple principles.

Thanks,
Michael K

Image
User avatar
Defender
Apprentice Scholar
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:20 am
Location: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Snow » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Voted Rap/Hip Hop, the only things that I can't stand listening to no matter how much I try.

Snow
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 5822
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:27 am

PostAuthor: Gh0zt » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:50 pm

Defender wrote:Electronica ad hip-hop/rap are not music. Music requires musical instruments, not a computer. Simple as that.

Country, while can be deemed music by many, maybe. But it is music without heart and soul none the less. Allow me to explain. Country is heartless and soulless for the shear fact that the 99.9% of the time, the person singing the song had nothing to do this the actual writing of that song, but instead bought the damn thing from someone who only writes. If the singer has no connection to the song, then how is it possible that they can honestly care about the meaning of it?

Metal, rock, blues, jazz, classical can all be deemed music because it normally does not voilate these simple principles.

Thanks,


And thus is why I'm still asking myself why I didn't stay out of a music topic again. *sigh* I refuse to argue it. Anything that makes sound into a melody or beat or whatever is a musical instrument. The "oh my god its computerized" argument is bunk because while the beat and melody may be electronically made the person putting lyrics to the song aren't. This is my last entry on the subject as when it comes to music some people are just ignorant to anything else other than what they believe is right. The same thought process that creates extremist religion but that is another subject entirely.
-Ae'un Kahn, Insanity at its finest.
-Kakos-Asteri Kahn, Dragonari Warrior
-Kahn The Dark Vasharan Warrior Raw Unadulterated Hate
-Enzaneti Sighkopaf, Nutjob Sorcerer
-Hawk Bodyravager, Half-Orge Druid of Dagath


Devishlishly Clever
-The Immortal Daffy Duck

Gh0zt
Lord of Blithering Idiots
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:22 am
Location: S.Korea GMT + 9

PostAuthor: Aerill » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 pm

Vroshgrak wrote:I voted electronica. If a computer can randomly pick 2000 1/8th of a second noises and stick it together and it is considered the peak of the form than it isn't music. All the other ones require human composition, electronica is just digital beeping and booping.

I enjoy some electronica/techno, buts the least like a form of music IMO.

Shows how much you know about how electronica is made. Computer in it's case is no more than any other tool or an instrument. It still takes human's imagination and talent to actually compose all the elements together and create music. Same way it is with digital art that many people seem to dismiss thinking that it's computer that creates the images, and that is very far from truth.

Myself I dislike rap and country most. I won't argue about how musically rich they are or not, I just personally find these genres too repetitive and boring.

As for the music I like.. I like a lot of different genres, but probably it is industrial that stands on top for the most variety that it seems to offer. Other than that you will find me listening to a lot of music ranging from metal to folk or electronica. There is good and bad stuff in every genre, and unfortunately the good things are usually not as easy to find.

Aerill
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:22 am
Location: Riga, Latvia (GMT +2)

PostAuthor: Tigg » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:37 pm

lol... calling one of those 'not music' is just a way of ragging on it... but, we all objectively understand that each of those choices really is a form of music.. right? ;)

but *looks at the poll and sighs* guess I'm going to scrap that idea for the rapping bard...


:lol:
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
User avatar
Tigg
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Into the sunset/Hyboria

PostAuthor: girlysprite » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:38 pm

I like rap and hiphop, but not the current style (gangsta). I love the stuff from the eighties, like rappers delight from sugarhill gang, or the message from Grandmaster flash. That stuff has a melody in it, and variety, and it doesnt have the hostile tone that gangsta rap has.
Gaming doesn't make people voilent, lag does

<Dimotane> I think deep down, when we're honest with ourselves... we're all a pregnant male elf.
User avatar
girlysprite
Silver Contributor
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:38 pm
Location: In my little pony ranch

PostAuthor: Defender » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:44 pm

girlysprite wrote:I like rap and hiphop, but not the current style (gangsta). I love the stuff from the eighties, like rappers delight from sugarhill gang, or the message from Grandmaster flash. That stuff has a melody in it, and variety, and it doesnt have the hostile tone that gangsta rap has.


You seem to have mispelled a word in your paragraoh incorrectly a couple times.. it is Gangster.

Just a clarification, no arguement intended.
Michael K

Image
User avatar
Defender
Apprentice Scholar
 
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:20 am
Location: GMT -6

PostAuthor: bolo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:05 pm

There should have been a "none of the above" option, because it's all music to me.
Anybody who says country music has no soul must have never listened to Hank Williams,Willy Nelson,Johny Cash,Roy Orbison,etc..
Anybody who says hip hop is not music needs to listen to Outkast,Mary J. Blige,The Fugees, Lauryn Hill,etc..
All music has it's hacks, and people who sing songs written by others. Elvis is widely regarded as one of the greatest popular singers ever, and ( far as I know) all his stuff was written by others.

Having said that, my least favorite has to be Country, just because when I was a kid that's all my parents ever listened to, well that and they watched Lawrence Welk ( an' a one'a, an'a two'a.Start the bubble machine!)all the time. God, now why didn't you put polka music up there?

bolo
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2001 5:11 am
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana gmt -5
Timezone: est -5 gmt

PostAuthor: Tigg » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:13 pm

Defender wrote:
girlysprite wrote:I like rap and hiphop, but not the current style (gangsta). I love the stuff from the eighties, like rappers delight from sugarhill gang, or the message from Grandmaster flash. That stuff has a melody in it, and variety, and it doesnt have the hostile tone that gangsta rap has.


You seem to have mispelled a word in your paragraoh incorrectly a couple times.. it is Gangster.

Just a clarification, no arguement intended.


:lol: yes... please, Girlysprite... without proper spelling things could get very confusing for some of us ;)
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
User avatar
Tigg
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Into the sunset/Hyboria

PostAuthor: Rain&Clouds » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:13 pm

Gh0zt wrote:You're right Hip Hop is NOT music its a lifestyle. Why do people in the mainstream keep listing it as music is beyond me. Rap is music however as no one made themselves god of song and declared that you actually have to sing to make music. Music is lyrics sometimes not over melodies and beats that people enjoy listenting to as far as I know.



I don't like rap music (well not especially) and I was never a big fan of the hip hop culture either, but I am GLAD you wrote that, and I hope everyone learns a little from it... but that's just my view on it :p
User avatar
Rain&Clouds
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 8:52 pm

PostAuthor: Marleh » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:19 pm

Poetry read over the top of background music is not music in itself. It is poetry read over the top of background music.

"Rap" is therefore not music.
User avatar
Marleh
QA Resource
 
Posts: 8649
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: GMT -7

PostAuthor: Tigg » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Marleh wrote:Poetry read over the top of background music is not music in itself. It is poetry read over the top of background music.

"Rap" is therefore not music.


but... the words are purposely done in time to a certain rhythm in order to go with the music. thinking of the spoken part of rap, I'm not sure that something has to have a wider-ranging tonal melody to be considered music, or else drums would not be considered music, (but I'm pretty sure that they are.) or... how about, someone raps for most of the recording and breaks into song for a bit of it, like I've heard done before? then that part where they actually sing is 'music' but the rest is not? hmm..... anyways to me the rhythm of the words adds something to the underlying melody, and makes it into its own unique musical entity. :)

*waits for someone to break out the dictionary* :P
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
User avatar
Tigg
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Into the sunset/Hyboria

PostAuthor: Rain&Clouds » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:44 pm

Marleh wrote:Poetry read over the top of background music is not music in itself. It is poetry read over the top of background music.

"Rap" is therefore not music.


I disagree with you on that, but my quote was meant to make the distinction between rap and hip hop more clear... I only quoted the rest because I agree to it ;)
User avatar
Rain&Clouds
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 8:52 pm

PostAuthor: bolo » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Tigg wrote:
Marleh wrote:Poetry read over the top of background music is not music in itself. It is poetry read over the top of background music.

"Rap" is therefore not music.


but... the words are purposely done in time to a certain rhythm in order to go with the music. thinking of the spoken part of rap, I'm not sure that something has to have a wider-ranging tonal melody to be considered music, or else drums would not be considered music, (but I'm pretty sure that they are.) or... how about, someone raps for most of the recording and breaks into song for a bit of it, like I've heard done before? then that part where they actually sing is 'music' but the rest is not? hmm..... anyways to me the rhythm of the words adds something to the underlying melody, and makes it into its own unique musical entity. :)

*waits for someone to break out the dictionary* :P


:wink:
music
19 entries found for music. The first 10 are listed below.
To select an entry, click on it. For more results, click here.
musicbackground musicchamber musicconcrete musiccountry musicelevator musicface[2,verb]hillbilly musicincidental musicmusic box

Main Entry: mu·sic
Pronunciation: 'myü-zik
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English musik, from Old French musique, from Latin musica, from Greek mousikE any art presided over by the Muses, especially music, from feminine of mousikos of the Muses, from Mousa Muse
1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony
2 a : an agreeable sound : EUPHONY <her voice was music to my ears> b : musical quality <the music of verse>
3 : a musical accompaniment <a play set to music>
4 : the score of a musical composition set down on paper
5 : a distinctive type or category of music <there is a music for everybody -- Eric Salzman>
:P

bolo
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2001 5:11 am
Location: Indianapolis,Indiana gmt -5
Timezone: est -5 gmt

PostAuthor: Marleh » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:48 pm

2 a : an agreeable sound : EUPHONY <her voice was music to my ears> b : musical quality <the music of verse>


I stand on this definition. ;)
User avatar
Marleh
QA Resource
 
Posts: 8649
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: GMT -7

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls

Who is online

Registered users: No registered users