Total players: 2
Gallery
  • Pages of the Book
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

Player's idea box

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Moredo » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:50 pm

Have Earaniewiel Dy'nesifer cast Greater Restoration when you ask for healing instead of cure serious wounds. That would have been awesome, especially with the ever-ongoing bug with the normal restoration spell

Earaniewiel Dy'nesifer can be found in the Dagath Circle in the Temple Area in Mikona

Thanks
Always consider alignment as a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts the character.
— AD&D, 2nd Edition Player's Handbook
Moredo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: +2

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:09 am

Is it possible to code it so the first person to 'discover' a recipe gets some extra reward?
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Arnimane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:11 am

How about making the "public" operation of the emote radial not public so it dont dro pyou out of stealth when you need to roll or save...etc at the wrong time to be exposed.
Lead me not unto temptation...I know the way.

Arnimane
Scholar

PostAuthor: chupacabra » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:43 pm

make high level NON MAGIC craftables for jewelrymakers. Say, platinum and gold, some diamonds, a couple rubies = pinky ring.

That way there will be some possibility of advancing without having to make magic items ONLY.
chupacabra
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Moredo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:35 am

Add a link to the wiki in the 'top link line' on the main page:

Home | Forum | Servers | Search | Bug Tracker | Wiki | Groups | Profile | No new messages | Log out [ nick ]

That would be hot, and I think it might get people to use it more too
Always consider alignment as a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts the character.
Moredo
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Fifty » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:17 pm

Idea from Chasman:

Chasman wrote:I just had a flash of inspiration and thought I would wing it here for all to see. :P

Since 'thieving' is the bread and butter of a thief, their job more or less. Why not have a script for stealing from chests just like the crafters ?

Thief opens the chest, then goes into a "thief crafting" mode. Have emotes like * searches thru belongings for valuables* , etc...

Another possibility is ot have it where on a failed check, appropriately leveled guards are summoned to dispense with some 'justice' ! :twisted: :twisted:

Anyway. Just a late night thought.

And my own addition - make it a bit like crafting, except using thiefly skills instead of lore, so as thiefly skills are not wasted.

I am going to go away and think about this in more depth.
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Ambrosia » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:49 pm

...add chickens in that zone east of the fairy gardens... you know.. the one with the tower and the verossians.. the amount of chicken clucking in that zone cracks me up as I never ever see any chickens in that zone!! :lol: :lol:
Ambrosia
QA Resource

PostAuthor: FunkOdyssey » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:05 pm

I have a good idea. How about there is some small chance that potions go rotten or sour, and have a negative effect when imbibed? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-5% chance? I thought the Spite derived *Craps Pants* effect would be a hot one to use, among others. Could be a random negative effect or it could vary with the potion, with stronger potions producing stronger bad reactions.

I think this might help to discourage people from pounding potions like water, and introduce a fun element of uncertainty into the mix.
FunkOdyssey
Sage

PostAuthor: pstanton » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:09 pm

Or, kind of bouncing off the idea before. Make characters allergic to some minor items. During character creation tag a character with a bit of script that changes what happens when they eat apple pie for example. So that when the character eats apple pie, they become diseased or experience another negative reaction.
High Priest of the Irrelevent

pstanton
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:55 am

Its been a while since I'v seen it in use, so bare with me. On Hala, there was a thing that made you speak a different language. If you had the item activated, you could understand the other person who also had the item activated. erm...

say the two elves were speaking elven to each other...to all those who don't have the items activated, it won't be able to be understood. You could have multiple of these items activated if your charecter knew dwarven and elven,etc.

so having this item would let you understand the "foriegn" language and when you activate you would speak it...does that make sense or do I have the item "activated" already? :wink:
Last edited by Darkfire on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:58 am

becausae there are alot of dwarves who don't know dwarven, elves who don't know elven...etc I tihnk that would be pretty cool if that could be used. I do see a problem since theres already an IC language...and that would be way to hard to convert every word into the proper language IE: hello : pelail

but...the realism of still using those items, if you can only pick up a few words like Pelail, or something you would be lost in a conversation of two people speaking elven with each other. Sorry if I confused anyone. lol
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: possessed_squirrel » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:03 am

When crafting a scroll and you fail, you have to make a Spellcraft check or you don't notice your error. Then when your try to use the miscrafted scroll, BOOM! :twisted:
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary.

Impossible is nothing.
possessed_squirrel
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: loki70 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:13 am

Make Raise Dead and Resurrect harm undead, as in PnP. I tried this several times (based on my PnP days as a cleric) before finding out it didn't work.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Li'll Divvil » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:00 pm

Just a question, but would it be an idea to add a search check to the mineable spots (gem/metal/etc.)?

This way people cannot run into a mine anymore hit TAB and pick the resource they want and ransack the place in 5 min, leaving nothing for others (which is an exploit of the TAB). It would force people actually to have to LOOK for ore veins (DC depending on the rarity of the resource and scales according to mining lvl maybe, so that if you get better at mining you can also spot resource better or maybe an added lore check for people who KNOW what to look for).

I do not know whether such a thing is possible engine wise (like for hidden doors and such), but it would make mining a lot more realistic and would limit the opportunity for "power" mining and makes more use of the search skill. Sure it would be a lot slower, but that's not an issue right, we're not in a race to lvl 40 here.

runs and hides from all angry miners, don't kill me pls pls pls
Li'll Divvil
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1
DM Avatar: Tobin

PostAuthor: Deider » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:40 pm

Perhaps alter the treasure scripts so that warrior levels become a factor in the amount of gold that drops? In other words, warriors would get slightly more gold. This would give warriors a slight boost without being overpowering, and would in the end benefit everyone, since according to the economic model the stickjocks will eventually give that gold to crafters and artificers in return for decent gear. It'd also let them buy more pots and healing kits (also from crafters!) to help them survive/stay alive/kick ass.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Tigg » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:38 pm

After reading so many times about people getting their inn chests cleared when others who have been away, turn their keys back in,

May I suggest that an OOC warning regarding this is merited, on the part of innkeeper convos where someone is turning their key back in? :)
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
Tigg
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Red » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:14 am

Add an option to the Ore Shovel: Shovel Ingots into empty bags. The same as the option that's already there for ore, but it would make storage of ingots much easier.

eta: The option exists to shovel ingots from a forge into empty bags, but my suggestion is to have an option to shovel from inventory into empty bags.
Last edited by Red on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:59 pm

Create a 'Dead Horses' forum where besti-necrophiliacs can beat said animals to their hearts content, and such threads can be removed to
Irreverence Awards 05 :most Ineffectual PC, honourable mention for most likely to give/recieve Spite

Islands of the Lost Head DM
Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Moredo » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:38 pm

Make the bugtracker bump bugs that you post confirmations for.

A good example is the Gate bug, it got fixed, but then it became broke again. I had to PM doug about it way back, for him to reopen it.
Moredo
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Deider » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:22 pm

Spellhook the various Charm spells (Charm Person, Charm Monster, etc.) so that they do... I don't know what, but something mildly useful. Right now they seem 100% worthless. It'd just be neat if those spells became useful in some way.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:05 pm

Modify the spell "True Strike". It lasts just 9 seconds fixed and can not be extended. Now on single player that might be fine, but on an internet-based multi-player server the spell generally fizzles before you manage to do anything (do to lag-related delays)

How about making it a couple of rounds, just so that we at least have a chance of using it before it fizzles. Make the to-hit bonus less if you're worried about balance, I'd even be happy with a +10 for 2 rounds or something, +20 for 1 round, when the spell ends before you've even fired a shot is pretty useless.

PnP spell for reference:
True Strike
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: The character
Duration: see text
The character's next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, the character is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: pstanton » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:50 am

How about when we're AFK, we can type in a special message using the same system as the IG boards. Select the option from special functions, whisper your message, type end scribe, and then when anyone comes within a certain distance, your char says something like *seems to be in deep meditation* or *snores loudly* or *obviously does not want to be disturbed* this would allow us to go AFK without messing up any RP going on around us.
High Priest of the Irrelevent

pstanton
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Aeveras » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:24 pm

Sparring gear!

I know it exists, but as a wood-worker, I won't mind a recipe available that would allow me to make it. Wouldn't mind being able to sand down a wooden shortsword (no damage property I believe) or something equivalent.

Also mentioned by someone else, sparring arrows. Not sure if this is feasible or even realistic, but there it is.

- Aeveras
Aeveras
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: PrinceOfCrossbreeds » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:34 am

If it's possible, real playing card. I'd be a nice source of RPing if we could have poker parties or something
PrinceOfCrossbreeds
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GTM-5

PostAuthor: Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:15 am

My experience with the Toolset is nil, so forgive me if the following idea is impossible to manufacture.

After flexing my brain for a few minutes, my mind began to wander. I started thinking about that old Playstation game "Final Fantasy Tactics". And then I thought, "Wouldn't it be neat to convert some of those jobs/classes to DnD Prestige classes?"

One of the classes that I think would be very unique (=fun) is the Mime class. I just thought of this now, so I would love it if everyone could add their two cents to this and build upon the idea (or criticize it).

The Mime, essentially, witnesses a used ability (spell, feat, possibly item ability) and then mimics that ability (i.e.: uses that ability herself, as if she already had access to it).

For example:

Alarala, a mime, meets up with Okin (rogue), Ardnalac (sorcerer), and Nartsirt (cleric/psionicist) to go hunt some bandits. On the way, they come across an elite minotaur! They would never survive that fight, and so Ardnalac casts invisibility on herself, Okin and Nartsirt. Unfortunately, she can't cast another invisibility spell. Having watched the spell being cast, though, Alarala mimics the casting and casts invisibility upon herself. They bypass the minotaur without any problems.
They reach the bandits' fort and slowly approach the gates. They are met with several bandits waving their rapiers menacingly. Ardnalac sends out a few magic missiles into the first of the bandits, dropping him to the ground. Okin hides in the shadows and then delivers a crippling backstab attack. Alarala watches with interest. Ardnalac is beset by several bandits and is bleeding profusely. Nartsirt rushes over and heals her wounds with some clerical spell. Alarala, still standing back, watches this, too.
Suddenly, archers appear on an unreachable platform and begin firing down at the party. Nartsirt makes a quick decision and opens a dimension door and steps through, appearing beside the archers. He makes quick work of all but two of the archers, and is knocked to the ground, unconsious and bleeding.
Alarala frowns and takes action. She runs behind a nearby boulder (convenient, eh?) and casts invisibility on herself. She steps out from behind the boulder and opens a dimension door to the platform and steps through, appearing beside the two remaining archers, who are about to kill Nartsirt. She backstabs one archer, dropping him to the ground. The other archer turns around in surprise, only to be met with magic missiles erupting from Alarala's hands. Alarala kneels down next to Nartsirt and reworks the healing spell she had seen him cast earlier.
In the meantime, Okin and Ardnalac have finished off the bandits on the ground. Alarala and Nartsirt recover and soon join the rest of the party. They decide that it's time to return to Mirtho for some much needed r&r.

Okay, I got a bit carried away, but I think that little story demonstrates the class's potential. As for actual game mechanics...

1) After resting (or a 12- or 24-gamehour period) Alarala would "forget" the abilities she acquired.

2) As for how the mime would acquire the abilities for use...perhaps they could be drawn from the system chat (i.e.: Ardnalac casting Invisibility, Okin backstabs, Nartsirt uses Psionic: Dimension Door, X casts Y, X uses Y, etc.).

3) The possibility to mimic creature abilities would be prooty hot, like auras, or gazes, or breath attacks depending on the level of the Mime (i.e.: couldn't mimic dragon breath until epic level mime).

4) I can't think of any Mime-specific feats...though maybe that's how copying abilities would work. How do Changelings copy shape? Possibly something similar? You could select the player/creature with the feat and it will copy the last ability they used for a short time?

-Druid523

P.S.: I know it's long. Feel free to delete if it's too long.

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team