Gallery
  • Winter Ball 2015
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Links Menu

Fanfic site market research

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Would you consider joining the newly revamped online E-zine by Blackparadox if it allowed regular credit card payments, and had a focus on all homemade campaign worlds, not just Avlis?

Yes, I would join because that's cool!
13%
Yes, I would join for the sake of supporting Avlis, but I probably wouldn't use it
29%
No
24%
No way
2%
Screw your stupid market research. I like cake.
11%
Already a member
21%

Total votes : 161

Fanfic site market research

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:30 pm

If you currently do NOT belong to the Avlis Fan Fiction site at http://www.minstrelfiction.com, would you consider joining it if the newly revamped site had:

1) Ability to subscribe using a regular credit card

AND

2) A focus on all homemade campaign worlds (both computer and pnp), not just Avlis

(Membership fee would stay at US$5/month, though I'm considering a "Contributor's Membership" which is US$10/month. Thoughts on that are welcome too.)

The answer to this completely non-scientific poll will allow me to guestimate the increased income from the site and figure out how that money can best be used, i.e. like how much to pay the e-zine staff, and how much of that would filter down into Avlis upkeep/upgrades. Basically, it helps with creating a busines plan.
Last edited by Orleron on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:32 pm

think I'd probably stick with making random donations when i can. Chose the cake option though :D
Irreverence Awards 05 :most Ineffectual PC, honourable mention for most likely to give/recieve Spite

Islands of the Lost Head DM
Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Grunt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:49 pm

*Also likes cake and hates market research.... but is a Fanfic member* :P
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Elong Singalong » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:51 pm

I would like the cake also....

No but serious..

i dont know if there is a way to make sure everyone around the world can pay.. Cause i wouldnot mind to donate a bit every month.. but it would be a bit easier if i COULD donate..

now where is that cake?
playing as:
Elong Singalong (remorted)
Sheela Green
What happends in nijmegen stays in nijmegen! *Blames zoe*
Elong Singalong
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Tharliss » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:56 pm

I'm already a member and I'd probably sign up for the $10/month option.

While it might not be practical for everyone, especially the young-in's in HS and College, I'd say that I definitely get $10 of enjoyment per month out of Avlis.
choraldances wrote:There's no official team stance, because it's way too complicated to come up with a "stance" :)
Tharliss
Elder Sage

Timezone: PST

PostAuthor: storminj » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Mine is purly personal but am currently forgoeing all credit card use. *sighs*

This has nothing to do with the e-zine though for I would love to be a member but can not due to budget restraints.
storminj
Sage

PostAuthor: Cymbolism » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Can you post me a cake too please? Make that two, so I can eat one and keep one ok. :bash:

already a member
Cymbolism
Scholar

PostAuthor: Arieanne » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:27 pm

How would the payment by regular credit card look like in Europe? Would it be possible?

Me and Isengrim several times were considering subscribing to Fanfic site, but we always had some problems with payment - we couldn't do it from Poland. 10$ per month is really the quote we may easily afford, especially for SUCH fun like Avlis is for us, so would be great if we had the possibility to pay.

And one more question, probably completely stupid for all the natives :oops: , but in Poland and Germany the terminology is very strict and appearently different than in US and UK:
What do you understand under term: regular credit card? Does it mean, you, as a bank account owner, have this special privilege to take more money from the account than you have on it? As if "credit"? Or it just means normal card you can pay with, withdraw money from the cash-machine etc. but you can't have a "credit" by using your card?

It's quite crucial difference here. :) Thanks for the answer!
Illiterates have to dictate.
Stanislaw J. Lec

The difference between western and eastern intellectuals is that the former have not been kicked in the ass enough.
Witold Gombrowicz

I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?
Arieanne
Sage

PostAuthor: Naieth » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:28 pm

If I'd join I probably wouldn't read much - It'd be just to support.

However, my current way of donating (through Mhog'Ar) works for me. He pas paypall and I find that to work nicely.
Naieth
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Erendhl » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:29 pm

Though I would peruse the other worlds, my initial motivation would be Avlis.
The true reward for great RP, is more RP!

Erendhl
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:51 pm

Arieanne wrote:How would the payment by regular credit card look like in Europe? Would it be possible?

Me and Isengrim several times were considering subscribing to Fanfic site, but we always had some problems with payment - we couldn't do it from Poland. 10$ per month is really the quote we may easily afford, especially for SUCH fun like Avlis is for us, so would be great if we had the possibility to pay.

And one more question, probably completely stupid for all the natives :oops: , but in Poland and Germany the terminology is very strict and appearently different than in US and UK:
What do you understand under term: regular credit card? Does it mean, you, as a bank account owner, have this special privilege to take more money from the account than you have on it? As if "credit"? Or it just means normal card you can pay with, withdraw money from the cash-machine etc. but you can't have a "credit" by using your card?

It's quite crucial difference here. :) Thanks for the answer!

By "regular credit card" I mean: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, and JCB.

AFAIk there will not be any other fancy ways of subscribing. If you have one of those credit cards, or if you have PayPal, you'll be able to do it. It's like pretty much any other site.

I have been told (though I have no idea about Poland) that Visa and Mastercard are the most widely used credit cards in the world and are used extensively in Europe. I hope that's correct. I have also been told that JCB is popular in places like Australia and Southeast Asia.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: TiVO25 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:55 pm

When I run a PnP, I either use an already develloped world such as Forgotten Realms or Eberron for which there is a wealth of information out there already, or I create my own personal world. I probably wouldn't peruse other's worlds to avoid stealing something of theirs (intentionally or not) for my own world. What I would find more useful is tools to help me create, organize, and manage my own world.

Regardless, once I get full-time, $5 a month are going to Avlis, probably through pay-pal though, since I'm extremely hesitant to use credit or debit cards over the internet as pay-pal just feels safer to me.

Edit:

There wasn't an option for "I will join, but pay through pay-pal" (since it seems the credit-card thing is what you're looking at) so I voted option #2.
You can't stop the signal.

"Every calling is great when greatly pursued."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
TiVO25
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:19 pm

What sort of tools would you be talking about? We will have forums where people can section off their world's material, almost the way I do now with World Info forums. What else?
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Arieanne » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:19 pm

Orleron wrote:I have been told (though I have no idea about Poland) that Visa and Mastercard are the most widely used credit cards in the world and are used extensively in Europe. I hope that's correct. I have also been told that JCB is popular in places like Australia and Southeast Asia.

Yes, definitely Visa and Mastercard are widely used in Poland, you almost always get one of them while opening new bank account.

What I checked on my own, they also work perfectly in: Netherlands, UK, France, Italy, Andora, Tshech Republic, Slovakai, Luxembourg, Spain, Germany (although Visa Electron may be problematic). So it should be no problem :D
Illiterates have to dictate.
Stanislaw J. Lec

The difference between western and eastern intellectuals is that the former have not been kicked in the ass enough.
Witold Gombrowicz

I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?
Arieanne
Sage

PostAuthor: Pathos Street » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:27 pm

I would subscribe to that in a second.
Pathos Street
King of Avlis Charades

Timezone: CDT (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Mella » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:27 pm

Arieanne wrote:What I checked on my own, they also work perfectly in: Netherlands, UK, France, Italy, Andora, Tshech Republic, Slovakai, Luxembourg, Spain, Germany (although Visa Electron may be problematic). So it should be no problem :D

In the UK there are two types of cards Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard) and Debit cards (Maestro) - I think Visa Electron is considered a debit card here in the UK.

Basic difference is that credit cards allow you to borrow money - debit cards require you to have a bank account that has money in it (or an overdraft ;-) )

Mella
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Vercongetorix » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:37 pm

I don't know about the increase for payment for contributors. As it is there doesn't seem to be new stuff being submitted on a regular basis. I prefer the idea of having contributors pay the same rate as readers but setting the system to require them to review at least one work of another contributor prior to their contribution being posted. That way you encourage feedback. Just my $.02 (that's in Canadian dollars)
A one time regular player before being pwned by RL.
Vercongetorix
Scholar

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:49 pm

Vercongetorix wrote:I don't know about the increase for payment for contributors. As it is there doesn't seem to be new stuff being submitted on a regular basis. I prefer the idea of having contributors pay the same rate as readers but setting the system to require them to review at least one work of another contributor prior to their contribution being posted. That way you encourage feedback. Just my $.02 (that's in Canadian dollars)

Woops... I was misunderstood there. Funny how the English language works... it has so many nuances for things, yet for so many other things it uses the same word for two completely different concepts.

By "Contributor Membership" I meant a membership for "people who feel like paying more $$ for the good of Avlis".

It had nothing to do with a membership for article contributors. In fact, you would not have to be a member in order to submit an article.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: TiVO25 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:13 pm

Orleron wrote:What sort of tools would you be talking about? We will have forums where people can section off their world's material, almost the way I do now with World Info forums. What else?

That's pretty much what I'd be lookig for, and if my subscription could allow my players to access only my world information (unless they want to buy a full subscription of course) would be very helpful. Sort of a "sub-subscription," if you will.

Something where I could post up my various campaign information, NPCs, maps, game times, pictures, etc. and organize them in an easy to follow manner, and my players could access what I specifically wanted them to be able to access.

Also, DMs that couldn't front the $5 a month, can now ask for a buck a month from each player (assuming 4 players, of course) and purchase a spot to get their world on-line for their players (since at least my players are always losing notes 'n stuff that I have to constantly replace).

Basically, I'd rather pay to post my own campaign world for my players to read than pay to read other people's campaign worlds that I'm not a part of.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

TiVO25
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:34 pm

TiVO25 wrote:
Orleron wrote:What sort of tools would you be talking about? We will have forums where people can section off their world's material, almost the way I do now with World Info forums. What else?

That's pretty much what I'd be lookig for, and if my subscription could allow my players to access only my world information (unless they want to buy a full subscription of course) would be very helpful. Sort of a "sub-subscription," if you will.

Something where I could post up my various campaign information, NPCs, maps, game times, pictures, etc. and organize them in an easy to follow manner, and my players could access what I specifically wanted them to be able to access.

You could do that right now with the current software we use on the boards. Create a Usergroup for your players and a Usergroup for your DM's. Then make forums that are accessible to the Usergroups you wish. The forums used on the fanfic site will be exactly like these, so the feature is already there.

Basically, I'd rather pay to post my own campaign world for my players to read than pay to read other people's campaign worlds that I'm not a part of.

Playing devil's advocate, why would you need to pay for a site usable only by your small pnp group? Wouldn't it just be easier to send them emails of the material, or at best set up a small website of your own for virtually no money?

I think the draw to the site will be that lots of worlds are represented, which lets other prospective DM's and players come in and look around to see what they'd like to play with on their own. Couple that with some editorials and articles on building campaign worlds, and I can see what people would pay for at that point.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Li'll Divvil » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:52 pm

Even though I do not do PnP anymore (lack of time, lack of people to play with, damn sometimes I do miss Nijmegen a lot). I am definitely willing to sign up for a 5-10$ / month for Avlis. I have been getting a lot of fun out of my on-line time and it's definitely worth it. The old paypall system didn't work for me as I had some issues with it in the past and do not want to use it anymore. But creditcard is fine, at least that is all insured and such and easy for me to check.

Game on,

oh now where is this new site? is it up yet?
Li'll Divvil
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1
DM Avatar: Tobin

PostAuthor: AyounTheDark » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi,
I'm already member as well, but I think its an awesome idea with other optional donations like the 10$ a month and even options for more and free extra donations would suit me fine..

As Tharliss said I do believe I get my 5$ worth of fun a month.. Well there are quite a few times I get that in a day...

Just get on with it and lets know when its possible ;)

[Edit : The creditcard option would suit better for me however]

AyounTheDark
Platinum Lifer

PostAuthor: TiVO25 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:11 pm

Orleron wrote:

Playing devil's advocate, why would you need to pay for a site usable only by your small pnp group?

I'm not suggesting that others who have payed full subscriptions couldn't read my world info, it would still function as you've invisioned as well, I'd just like to be able to let my players read my world information without each having to buy an additional subscription for the entire site.

Orleron wrote:Wouldn't it just be easier to send them emails of the material,

I don't know about other people's groups, but mine lose e-mails just as easily as they lose papers. Plus they can peruse the site at their leisure while at work, school, etc.

Orleron wrote:or at best set up a small website of your own for virtually no money?

Free websites have incredibly annoying advertisements all over the site. And my knowledge of html, java, flash, etc. is extremely limited (Dammit Jim, I'm a . . . oh bother). I would personally be willing to pay for a site where that stuff was already set-up and ready to go, all I had to do was input my work of genius and bang, good to go.

Orleron wrote:I think the draw to the site will be that lots of worlds are represented, which lets other prospective DM's and players come in and look around to see what they'd like to play with on their own. Couple that with some editorials and articles on building campaign worlds, and I can see what people would pay for at that point.

I'm by no means poo-pooing what you're trying to do with the site, I think it's a great idea, and I don't mean to imply that what I want is what the majority will want. I really have no clue what everyone else will want. Simply that since I'm extremely creative and would much rather create a world for my players than use a pre-made one, this is what I would rather pay for if I were not already willing to pay out of love and gratitude for Avlis.

In other words, just answering the question from my perspective. My $0.02. :wink:

Also, the editorials and articles on building campaign worlds is also what I had in mind.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes

TiVO25
Sage

PostAuthor: Orleron » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:22 pm

Ah yes, I definitely hear you now.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

PostAuthor: Vercongetorix » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:36 pm

Orleron wrote:
Vercongetorix wrote:I don't know about the increase for payment for contributors. As it is there doesn't seem to be new stuff being submitted on a regular basis. I prefer the idea of having contributors pay the same rate as readers but setting the system to require them to review at least one work of another contributor prior to their contribution being posted. That way you encourage feedback. Just my $.02 (that's in Canadian dollars)

Woops... I was misunderstood there. Funny how the English language works... it has so many nuances for things, yet for so many other things it uses the same word for two completely different concepts.

By "Contributor Membership" I meant a membership for "people who feel like paying more $$ for the good of Avlis".

It had nothing to do with a membership for article contributors. In fact, you would not have to be a member in order to submit an article.

Oh that makes sense
A one time regular player before being pwned by RL.
Vercongetorix
Scholar

Next

Return to Avlis Polls