Gallery

Links Menu

Multiple Post for Taverns and Markets

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Multiple Post for Taverns and Markets

PostAuthor: Sojan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:00 pm

Concerning a fine mace to sell...
krator wrote:Can you please remove duplicates of this ad? It really makes the marketplaces look unorganised and dirty with ads all over the place.

Alright people, here is what I saw already concerning Taverns but now I saw another player asking someone to remove threads because it annoys him. It is, I must say, one of the nicest way to ask but...

If this is not a rule from the forum guidelines or something, then I would not do it if I thought it was IC to do so....of course in this thread the character would have had a hard time to run so fast as to post in each of those places in so short a time but I don't think people should get bothered by this and give a break to the ones who do that. There is three posts on the same subject, well...read only one...what's the problem with it?

I know some people don't agree with this but if you have comments please write it down. I'd like to have some of the team people to look into this and stop the complaining about those posts or rule them out or make some "house rule" like in the ASk The Team as to not reply on those announcements so it won't show very long on the new posts list.
As you feel the shadows and winter breeze creeping on you...
You know that I'm around for you feel the magik tickling your back.

Sojan
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Krator » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:01 pm

It annoys my character, simply put. That's why I post it.
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Arandil » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:07 pm

Did you visit all three places IC? It seemed to me they were all posted at the same time..thats considered cheesy by the team and other players I believe.

Arandil
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Sojan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:08 pm

then I guess your word was still IG and it was your char who post it?

If so, will it means to remove the posts from the other taverns of the city you are in or to remove the posts from the other cities' taverns? X:|

EDIT: this was in answer to Krator...posted too slow
Last edited by Sojan on Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sojan
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Sojan » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:10 pm

Arandil wrote:Did you visit all three places IC? It seemed to me they were all posted at the same time..thats considered cheesy by the team and other players I believe.

It wasn't me who posted it...and it is, as I said, bordering unrealistic...even considering magik on Avlis (since teleports don't exist...yet :) )

Then if so thought as cheesy....maybe a quick PM could do the work?

Sojan
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Krator » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:11 pm

I actually ran from Nanshi Urbaz to Ferrell to Elysia 2 times today.
Playing as: Sir Douglas Hope of Gorethar, old school paladin | Krator Blackfist, gold mage | Warren, half nymph barbarian
Krator
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Alphonse » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:14 pm

Krator wrote:I actually ran from Nanshi Urbaz to Ferrell to Elysia 2 times today.

so maybe they did too?
Alphonse
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Fifty » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:23 pm

Silk told us not to do this ages ago...

I posted a thread about it not too long ago...

Someone else started what turned into a very long thread about it a few weeks ago...

Basically, either go to all the places you post it, or at the very least leave enough time between the different posts so that your character can do the travelling while you are away.
Hovering around the edges of polite society
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Tharliss » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:29 pm

Fifty wrote:
Basically, either go to all the places you post it, or at the very least leave enough time between the different posts so that your character can do the travelling while you are away.

Serious question: Would people feel better about it if something was added to each note saying:

*A messenger arrives and posts the following note*

It would be easier to fathom one person sending out messengers to different locations from a 'central' location.
choraldances wrote:There's no official team stance, because it's way too complicated to come up with a "stance" :)
Tharliss
Elder Sage

Timezone: PST

PostAuthor: Fifty » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:32 pm

Tharliss wrote:
Fifty wrote:

Serious question: Would people feel better about it if something was added to each note saying:

It would be easier to fathom one person sending out messengers to different locations from a 'central' location.

Yeah, it would, but also...

If they also trashed a few hundred gold...
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Tharliss » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:35 pm

Fifty wrote:
Tharliss wrote:
Fifty wrote:

Yeah, it would, but also...

Agreed. It would have to be on the 'honor system', but at least it would be a bit easier to swallow for other people. Zach has trashed so much gold for rp things like this that anyone willing to live in the trash barrel of the Mikona marketplace could be considered a millionaire. :wink:
choraldances wrote:There's no official team stance, because it's way too complicated to come up with a "stance" :)
Tharliss
Elder Sage

Timezone: PST

PostAuthor: Krator » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:36 pm

Alphonse wrote:
Krator wrote:I actually ran from Nanshi Urbaz to Ferrell to Elysia 2 times today.

so maybe they did too?

As I said, this note was an IC action of my character. Whether they walked there or not Krator ICly doesn't care for as he assumes they did or hired a messenger. How would the ad otherwise have been there?
Krator
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Penumbra » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:38 pm

Fifty wrote:Yeah, it would, but also...

OMG! I agree with Fifty! :shock: :lol:
CPU: I think it would be great for Janus to teach a class at the Academy of Mortal Magic:
"er... I'm Janus, yer substitute teacher. Were gonna talk bout thet bastard Andrinor taday...."
Penumbra
Silver Lifer

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:43 pm

This is really an OOC issue more than an IC one. Making the trip to all 6 local taverns can easily be done in under an hour of play time if you know the routes. It is very IC to place ads in as many places as you can.

The OOC problem is seeing board spam. Posting in just 1 place is an option, but many people won't read things from servers they don't go to. Some sort of compromise would make sense.

I suggested before that a general market board be created for this kind of posting, similar to the "Avlis Tavern" one. The character posting can make note of what areas the ad is in, and then the reader can decide if they would see it IC. Less board spam, yet it reaches all areas that are IC for the character to post.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Glofindel » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:51 pm

Making the trip to all 6 local taverns can easily be done in under an hour of play time if you know the routes

*Recalls a sign saying "Elysia - 20 miles" ( It MAY have been "200 miles") on the route from Delgos to Elysia*
Glofindel
Gold Lifer

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Tharliss wrote:
Fifty wrote:

IC I'd be doing this all the time, and I'm sure others would as well. How do all those private letters get delivered, or should we believe the writer does it himself? Hire a local to drop it off or perhaps a courier with a nice fast horse. We just don't see these things as part of the IG experience.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: SilverAdder » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:17 pm

Gorgon wrote:I suggested before that a general market board be created for this kind of posting, similar to the "Avlis Tavern" one.

I agree. I can see the OOC issue of the clutter of posts and i too think that it can be a little anoying. So a general board would be great!
Your fat king and your lean beggar are but variable service, two dishes but one table. Thats the end.
- Hamlet
SilverAdder
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Dralix » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:28 am

Regardless of opinion on the OOC annoyance of it, I think the IC response is kind of silly. Saying that someone is cluttering up the marketplaces doesn't really make IC sense.

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Istahire » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:38 am

Seems like now, when we have pictures of Snow, people must find other "important" things to discuss :roll:
Istahire
Silver Player

PostAuthor: pedsdmd » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:43 am

sounds like you should be a messenger instead of an adversary:)

pedsdmd
Scholar

PostAuthor: tric » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:13 am

without changing the boards any

could we not say the POrt Eridanus board acts like a global board, so if prople want to get all servers informed then the ferrell board is the one to post in.

reasoning is thus: ferrell is neutral ground, and is centrally located. alot of travellers pass through it, and word of any activities there could easily be spread to the other servers (maybe not Kuras).

this way we cut down on spam AND don't have to change the boards.
"there has to be hope for humanity, or why else is there butter" jon smith
GMT+10

tric
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: DejaRude » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:55 am

I really can understand the Spam issue to a small extent, but how are you reading all the boards at the same time? Don’t you have to run to every city to read what’s in the board if you demand that every char run to the city to post it.

Oh lets see... IC I could not see all the Tavern posts at the same time so I should wait to read each one of them at a time when I ran to the city in which that Tavern is located.

I'm starting to see a pattern of snobbery of RP that disturbs the mind.
Com’on find something be positive about. This really is a place where all people should show some tolerance with each other. We have many folks of differing age, sex and animal backgrounds as well as philosophy of life/death. :D

Live and let live…
Dunagan
DejaRude
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: miyafawyn » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:03 am

I just have one question - how are you guys reading all the market boards at the same time? :wink:
miyafawyn
Contributor

PostAuthor: loki70 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:15 am

Actually, I just ignore all the repeats. Good rule of thumb, if there is more than one, it isn't an auction, you won't get a fair deal (since they can put just about any figure they want up there to see if someone will spend more), and even if you do get a fair deal, half the stuff isn't palette, so you'll be carrying it around until either you retire the character or sell it to someone else. There was an auction on the Kuras server recently, the whole thing IG and IC, and the merchant is easily the richest character on the server now (well, maybe not the richest, but pulling in over 100k for stuff that can be bought cheap in southern Avlis ain't bad). Best of all, there was actual roleplay involved. Something beyond the math of watching your gold count go up. Imagine that!!
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Fifty » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:32 am

I don't read them all. I just don't like seeing the same post title 6 times when I look at the new threads page.
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion