Mikona - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 0
Gallery

Links Menu

Editing clothing

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Editing clothing

PostAuthor: Ben DeVeny » Tue May 31, 2005 2:09 pm

I just found a really nice thing on Hala! I can edit the look of my armour. Immediately I go to work to make my best armour into a guild uniform so I can actually be wearing my "Kill undead unifrom" while killing undead, as opposed to changing outfits just as I go in the crypt door.

I was so happy, I told a friend from the team about it. He felt it was borderline cheating. Mentioned getting watchlisted and so on. eek! I then asked another DM friend I know, who told me to relax: Its a legal item, Im in a legal place, using a legal tool, to change the look of the item to a uniform I legaly can wear. He was 100% sure it was ok.
I assumed the tool to modify clothing included guild uniforms... I am leader of the guild and designed and distribute our uniforms as it is. As far as the guild goes, I dont have to ask permission of anyone there... Am I cheating?

-Ben / Shen
Never trust a smiling dog
Ben DeVeny
Apprentice Scholar

Re: Editing clothing

PostAuthor: CPU » Tue May 31, 2005 3:17 pm

Ben DeVeny wrote:I just found a really nice thing on Hala! I can edit the look of my armour. Immediately I go to work to make my best armour into a guild uniform so I can actually be wearing my "Kill undead unifrom" while killing undead, as opposed to changing outfits just as I go in the crypt door.

I was so happy, I told a friend from the team about it. He felt it was borderline cheating. Mentioned getting watchlisted and so on. eek! I then asked another DM friend I know, who told me to relax: Its a legal item, Im in a legal place, using a legal tool, to change the look of the item to a uniform I legaly can wear. He was 100% sure it was ok.
I assumed the tool to modify clothing included guild uniforms... I am leader of the guild and designed and distribute our uniforms as it is. As far as the guild goes, I dont have to ask permission of anyone there... Am I cheating?

-Ben / Shen

Changing clothing via the bioware crafting skills, on another world is not cheating. Avlis is working on including these sorts of modifications in their own crafting systems.

The only problem comes from altering a guild item or another item to look like a guild item. What would happen if someone from the M'chek army altered their clothing to look like T'nanshi? Or an Ebony changed his robes to look like Ivory for nefarious purposes? Imagine a Reaver wearing what looks like a normal commoners tunic, but in reality is Reaver Full Plate? What about some common newbie thug, making his leathers into Raven look-a-likes and hitting people up for protection money? Usually the guild clothing is a mark that you belong to that guild.

Changing a guild item allows one to escape the IG consequences of being in any certain guild. Changing an item to look like a guild item when it is not, may become problematic and exploitive. Once you start going down that road, others will follow. And their intentions may not be as benign as yours.

Although I don't think there is an exact ruling prohibiting the alteration of guild items, or other items to resemble guild items, my guess is there may be one soon. ;)
Avlis Housing Director
PM: Avlis Player Housing
Player Housing Information - This answers most questions people have. Please read this before asking.
CPU
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: dougnoel » Tue May 31, 2005 4:16 pm

This has come up before in the Team Forum. We're discussing it again now. We'll let you know what we decide.

dougnoel

Re: Editing clothing

PostAuthor: Ben DeVeny » Tue May 31, 2005 4:31 pm

CPU wrote:What would happen if...an Ebony changed his robes to look like Ivory for nefarious purposes?

Well, I dont know what would happen, exactly, but if I was a DM, I would probably cookie his socks off for creative RP.

Me is waiting for Doug.
Ben DeVeny
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: dougnoel » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:27 pm

Changing the appearance of your clothing/armor/weapon is IC and not cheesing (except in the case of lightsabers.) You may change your clothing in any way you like, including making it appear to be guild clothing. By doing so, you are agreeing to suffer whatever IC consequences players or DMs inflict upon you when you are caught. This can include, but is not limited to being killed and having the "uniform" looted or destroyed. If you create a copy of a uniform you legally own, it is perfectly legal for non-guild players to loot and use them in any IC way they see fit.

A good rule of thumb from Choral: If you need to wear your uniform, wear it. Otherwise, you can wear something else.

dougnoel

PostAuthor: Ben DeVeny » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:20 pm

Thankee!

*worries a little bit about the comment on "getting caught", but shrugs it off and is perfectly happy to legaly wear a uniform with true protective qualities while on the job.*

Always nice to know we can ask stuff.
:D
Ben DeVeny
Apprentice Scholar

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team