Elysia - (0)
M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Would you buy a hard cover D20 System Avlis sourcebook?

Polls for Avlis homepage.

Would you buy a hard cover D20 System Avlis sourcebook?

Yes, I would buy 2 or more!
8%
Yes, I would get one.
54%
Maybe.
23%
No, I do not plan on playing pnp
7%
No, I am not interested.
7%
The Hoff would buy one, baby!
2%

Total votes : 292

PostAuthor: Velvet Embrace » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:57 pm

How about;

HELL YEAH!!!

Make answering questions while in-game soooo much easier. :wink: 8)

P.S. Though anything over a $30.00US mark would stop me. I would suggest doing like TSR (before WotC) and splitting any large books into several, if needed, not exceeding $20.00US each.
The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance.
In memory of 9-11
You will not be forgotten.

Velvet's Potrait:: http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/portraits/ ... 7289.shtml
Velvet Embrace
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: crestu » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:59 pm

I'm with Dralix too. As long as there is readable sections about the history and such, I'll be happy. The price wouldn't concern me.
crestu
Scholar

Timezone: GMT+11:00

PostAuthor: chiefsheep » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:59 pm

Yes, yes, and three times yes!

Time for a "how much would you pay for such a book, excluding p&p" poll, I guess.
That bit where Theodan sees the Nazgul coming for him. It's a look that says:

"Bollocks. Orc Army. Oliphaunts...now this..it's really not my day, is it?"
chiefsheep
Silver Lifer

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:04 pm

Of course :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: kombinat » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:07 pm

I'd get one, for sure. One day, far off in the future, my involvement in Avlis will be at an end... and it'd be nice to have such a keepsake for posterity.
Anything specific to rulesets would quickly age and its value would deteriorate, but being able to tell someone about the characters that filled the world they're reading about would be... well, fun :)
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat
Team Member; Retired with Honors

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Dralix » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:10 pm

kombinat wrote:I'd get one, for sure. One day, far off in the future, my involvement in Avlis will be at an end... and it'd be nice to have such a keepsake for posterity.

You mean to will to your children, don't you? You're not leaving until you lack the motor skills to drive a mouse ...

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Ruffell » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:11 pm

I would buy one deffinately.
========================
Rinlar of the Order of O'ma

Dwelling in darkness
to see the light
========================
Ruffell
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: darkrain2309 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:15 pm

Are you kidding of course I would buy 2 one for me to use and another to put up as a collectable.....BY the way umm did you know when you made avlis that you should have put a warning label on it......it is more addictive then Heroine :lol: :D

Thanks

Happy Holidays
darkrain2309
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Orleron » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:55 pm

To answer Nob, yes, the book would contain more fleshed out versions of what's in the World Info forum, plus artwork.

To answer Fuzz, yes, there would at the very least be a large acknowledgements section listing all the contributors of creative inspiration, such as yourself. If I use any parts that were blatantly written by a co-author, I would credit them on that chapter or section.

To answer all, yes, I'm thinking this should be in the US$20 to $30 range. The main determinant will be how big it is. It's going to cost me between $2000 and $6000 to self-publish this at the quality that I want, and I may not have enough money to pay that amount twice to do two books. Of course if I managed to make back some of it by selling the first one, I could probably do a second.

I'm also not sure where I'd draw the line between the two books, where one ends and the other starts. All I know is I've got a word file on my harddrive that is 306 pages of double-spaced solid text, and that is going to be at least 400 pages by the time I fill in all the blanks. Should be good for something.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: b.ames » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:03 pm

You mean a chance to play Monty Haul style Avlis?! Count me in!
(Seriously I'd pick up a copy for the novelty of it and the quality of work/background/knowledge I'm sure would go into it.)
b.ames
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Moredo » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:11 pm

Avlis has been a part of my life these past 1,5 years. :wink: I'd buy one for a keepsake, even if I never used it to play PnP.
Always consider alignment as a tool, not a straitjacket that restricts the character.
— AD&D, 2nd Edition Player's Handbook
Moredo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: +2

PostAuthor: kombinat » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:34 pm

Dralix wrote:
kombinat wrote:I'd get one, for sure. One day, far off in the future, my involvement in Avlis will be at an end... and it'd be nice to have such a keepsake for posterity.

You mean to will to your children, don't you? You're not leaving until you lack the motor skills to drive a mouse ...

If that was the prerequisite, I'd be forced out tomorrow ;)
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:00 pm

I would buy at least one copy.
ACTIVE CHARACTERS: Casey Landry, Jessie Morrice
SOMETIMES CHARACTERS: Silinde, Luthias
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:17 pm

At least one and I know some others that would by at least one each.
I ain't as good as I once was, But I'm as good once as I ever was...

:devil: 4evar!
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Brock Fanning » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:20 pm

I'd buy a copy for sure. I know a great artist too, but she would probably expect some amount of moolah.
-Brock
Brock Fanning
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Arcsylver » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:13 pm

Most definitely yes for multiple copies.

My question is this.

How much extra to get a autographed copy signed by all the team members to keep as a keepsake of all the great times I have had in the past nearly 2 years both as a player and past Team member.

Avlis has become my home away from home on the web and I would gladly buy a hardcover PnP resource for it because I would love to eventually introduce my future PnP groups to this world and it's great background and history which I in some miniscule way helped develop.
Arcsylver
Scholar

PostAuthor: Nogusta » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:48 pm

Dralix wrote:I have no PnP experience, nor any plans to take it up really, but I would still likely buy it to use as a convenient summation of world information, made portable to read on planes, toilets, the bathtub and other places my internet connection doesn't (or shouldn't) go.

Ditto.
Nogusta
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: The hand04 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:36 pm

Dralix wrote:I have no PnP experience, nor any plans to take it up really, but I would still likely buy it to use as a convenient summation of world information, made portable to read on planes, toilets, the bathtub and other places my internet connection doesn't (or shouldn't) go.

Aye, what he just said.. Especially about the crapper. I noticably spend alot of my time there.
"Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom without lengthy operations in the field." Sun Tzu, Art of War.

The hand04
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Orleron » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:57 pm

How much extra to get a autographed copy signed by all the team members to keep as a keepsake of all the great times I have had in the past nearly 2 years both as a player and past Team member.

Price for me to buy book + price I pay for shipping + price I pay to ship the thing around the world getting it signed + price it costs to ship it to you + a profit

== A Lot!
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:19 pm

My friends and I have a strong adversion to d20. I believe it is just about the worse pnp gameing system available. Just take a look at how advancement and alignment are handled?

The only reason it works at all is that a computer is running Avlis, and it is still a very shitty system.

If the book were writen in such a way that it could be used with systems other than d20 that would be most appreciated. Or perhaps releaseing a d20 version and a GURPS or such version?

That is my opinion, not nessasarily anyone else's opinon, might just be, but that would be a coincodence, and damnit, sometimes the crap I write is not even my opinion either.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:36 pm

I said at the GenCon/Avlis meet a couple years back that I would buy one and I still would. It is a good, solid setting with a lot of potential for adventure everywhere.

As for Wrath's aversion to the D20 system, the reason to go D20 is because it doesn't cost anything to do so. If you want to have the "GURPS" or "Powered By GURPS' on the cover, you'll have to pay Steve Jackson Games a licensing fee. Even having a conversion system inside the book would cost a tiny fortune.

The thing is, when buying a campaign setting, you don't need a lot of the 'crunchy bits' as these are included in the core books. All you'll have to do is convert what is there to the system of your choice.
Thankfully, my dad had a stroke. - Unnamed Hostess

http://silver-spire.com
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: Hamlet » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:49 pm

I ... made some sworn-PnP fans read the Avlis players guide pdf. They loved it. I guess we shall deffinitely go for at least one copy.

8)
#AVLISPLAYERHOUSING
#WHATSHERNAMEAGAIN

Hamlet, please don't kill me
-Plethora

Hamlet
QA's 1st|CCC|PH Fairy|RPoTY 2007
QA's 1st|CCC|PH Fairy|RPoTY 2007

PostAuthor: Fuzz » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:03 pm

You need help with the writing up aspect, you have my cellphone #. I'll get my slave (Nob) to work on it right away! :P

In terms of fronting the cost to get them self-published, you could do a fundraiser setup... either ask for donations, or make a contest out of it:

People can submit artwork for the cover/inset pages, but each eprson has to pay a little fee per submission, (say 10 bucks). There would be a limited number of pics that could be used in the book itself, so you could figure out the layout and post the number of slots, and maybe some themes. (For inset pages, maybe in a section discussing the Orcish destruction, have that be the theme.... Orcish mages summoning, or maybe a huge explosion, etc)

Hopefully, you'd get quite a few submissions... enough that you'd have a reasonable amount of choice involved. Maybe toss the submissions up on the fanfic site, and have people vote for them, or just pick them yourself. Either way, the pics that do get in, those artists maybe get a free copy of the sourcebook.

Avlis has a great community, one that won't hold back when it comes to donating its own money to help "The Cause", so I'm sure a lot of artists would submit, if only to say that they helped.

Also, they'd of course get their name credited under the drawing, which is pretty cool for anyone.

Just an idea.
<Sili> I've seen septic tanks with less shit in them than Fuzz.

<Ronnin> damm not even a kiss??
<Chasmania> Kiss Fuzz? I'd rather fellate a goat.

<Chasmania> there are many roads to Rome..they just picked a shit filled alley full of scabby hookers and bums.

The shape of things to come...
Fuzz
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: darkrain2309 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:09 pm

Orleron wrote:

Price for me to buy book + price I pay for shipping + price I pay to ship the thing around the world getting it signed + price it costs to ship it to you + a profit

== A Lot!

OK let me know when you get that Price :D
darkrain2309
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Olaf » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:55 pm

Oh yes!.. and hand them out as christmas presents to my friends along with a NWN Cds... that's of course if i was rich.... but you get the picture...
I'm.. good at art, need any illustrations for this Orl??.. :D
Always be yourself... unless you can be a Unicorn. Then always be a Unicorn.
Olaf

DM Avatar: Titania

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls