LotR
51%
Willow
9%

Total votes : 303

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue May 11, 2004 7:22 pm

Lafferty wrote:Without a doubt Aloro is a lvl 40 uber-geek

but such info can be easily looked up with http://imdb.com

I perfer to think he just knows all this stuff off the top of his head. That means he's a even bigger geek then I am, and that's a good thing. :)
Vanor
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Lafferty » Tue May 11, 2004 7:24 pm

8) i know what you mean :wink:
Tool for crafters Do you want some human to your salt? nomanisanisland.monolar.de
Lafferty
Scholar

Location: look at my hands... they are HUGE. And they cant touch themselves...

PostAuthor: Fire Monkey » Tue May 11, 2004 11:47 pm

The best sword fight I remember seeing was in a film I think was called Robin and Marion, or something like that. It had Sean Connery and I think Katherine Hepburn (in the late 70's). It is set after the classic Robin Hood stories after Robin returns from the crusades a bit haggard and knackered by years on the road and Marrion has become a nun! Doh!

There is a climatic fight scene between Robin and the Sherriff of Nottingham. There is no finesse at all, it is just messy, bloody, tiring and goes on for hours until they can hardly lift their weapons anymore. Probably it isn't but it seemed much more realistic than all that Errol Flyn-style prancing around in tights (though he as a dude too).
Fire Monkey
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Wed May 12, 2004 2:44 am

Vanor wrote:holy shit, you are a lvl 40 geek aren't you? ;)

Actually, I'm an Epic Bard IRL - yeah, all this crap is off the top of my head. Check out my massive Lore Bonuses. * flexes *

"Jack(ass) of All Trades"... I should get that on my business cards. :)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Blot Bloddstone » Wed May 12, 2004 2:57 pm

No one ever see Hawk the Slayer? Late seventies or early eighties movie. If you havent, check it out, its pretty fun.

Blot Bloddstone
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Wed May 12, 2004 3:02 pm

Vichan Lyonsen wrote:
Krez wrote:LOTR is by far the best. But for making of the next movie I would have to say the Terry Brooks "Magic Kingdom for Sale" and that whole series and possibly the Steven Donaldson "Lord Fouls Bane"

Was that not the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever? What an incredibly dark and morose series that was, but so well written. In what other fantasy novels is your protagonist hero a Leper?

Those books cannot be praised highly enough. I'd recommend it to anyone, but some might be turned off by the complicated language Donaldson uses, the incredible grimness, and the fact that the main character is a self-pitying leper novelist.

Even though it's not exactly an action series, it has some great goosebumb moments.. like 'Lord Mhoram's Victory'.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Aloro » Wed May 12, 2004 4:38 pm

Tangleroot wrote:Those books cannot be praised highly enough. I'd recommend it to anyone, but some might be turned off by the complicated language Donaldson uses, the incredible grimness, and the fact that the main character is a self-pitying leper novelist.

Even though it's not exactly an action series, it has some great goosebumb moments.. like 'Lord Mhoram's Victory'.

I loved the first trilogy, loathed the second. And Lord Mhoram was da bomb... he was a much better protagonist than Thomas the Whiny Bitch. I loved how his introspection and meditation revealed to him the heart of despair and the root of his ultimate power. Great character development, great depth of personality.

Thomas, on the other hand, was pretty one-dimensional; a self-loathing self-pitying git who never really changes. The climax of The Power That Preserves was such a great ending for him... it's a shame Donaldson didn't know when to quit.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Druppi » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:36 am

I'm all for some Willow.

Druppi

PostAuthor: Dehval » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:49 pm

Conan for life :lol:
<i>"There's a time and place for everything, and it's called college"</i>

<b>High Guard of Dranuhl:</b> <i>Tell the dog called Isamu Deglos is not safe for him,... me and my man will hunt him down</i>
<b>Zak'dan Baen'ana:</b> <i>*chuckles at "my man"*</i>
<b>Dehval:</b> <i>*laughs*</i>
Dehval
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Setanos » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:20 pm

Removing LoTR as a first choice, I would have to choose Willow.

Just a good fantasy movie, plain and simple.

Setanos
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Zarithar Savageclaw » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:26 pm

Before LoTR came out I would have chosen Conan the Barbarian followed by Labyrinth and Legend respectively. Not the theatrical release of Legend mind you... which was heavily cut and re-edited, but the Legend:Ultimate Edition in which director Ridley Scott included many deleted scenes as well as restoring the original orchestral score (as opposed to the lousy Tangerine Dream one).

Zarithar Savageclaw
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Brayon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:34 pm

Jordicus wrote:no matter how much I am a Tolkien fan and loved the LoTR movies, as well as most of the rest of the movies you listed, LadyHawke will always get my vote

+1

LadyHawke is just so mythical on so many levels; that it puts most others to shame.

Pleth is the Best!
AJ is Arcadia's Brother

Dear whoever is reading this.
You're beautiful, and someone out there is crazy about you.
So smile.
Life is too short to be unhappy.
Brayon

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: icarusdaddy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:55 pm

Who the hell would vote for anything but the LOTR movies???

are you blind???

does Tolkien's estate owe you money????

FREAKS!!!!!

icarusdaddy
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Zarithar Savageclaw » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:16 pm

icarusdaddy wrote:Who the hell would vote for anything but the LOTR movies???

are you blind???

FREAKS!!!!!

I had to leave out LoTR just to give the others a fair chance. It simply blows all of them away by such a wide margin... I chose to vote on all the pre-LoTR films.

Zarithar Savageclaw
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Fuzz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:20 pm

Legend beats the pants off of LotR. Who does NOT think of Tim Curry in that costume when they think of what Satan looks like? That and Medusa in Clash of the Titans (which I dunno, I don't consider fitting to this list, it's its own thing) were the scariest things I'd ever seen on film when I was a kid, and I had seen Poltergeist and the Exorcist and whatnot.
<Sili> I've seen septic tanks with less shit in them than Fuzz.

<Ronnin> damm not even a kiss??
<Chasmania> Kiss Fuzz? I'd rather fellate a goat.

<Chasmania> there are many roads to Rome..they just picked a shit filled alley full of scabby hookers and bums.

The shape of things to come...
Fuzz
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: wolfwielder » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:56 pm

What about the Neverending Story?
The Dark Crystal?
wolfwielder

Timezone: GMT -5/-4
DM Avatar: Balgar

PostAuthor: Glofindel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Hawk the Slayer by far.
I watched it cuddled up with Vale.....well....famous people...why name drop?
It IS a fun movie!
Rope buyer
Glofindel
Gold Lifer

PostAuthor: Zarithar Savageclaw » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:54 pm

wolfwielder wrote:What about the Neverending Story?
The Dark Crystal?

Good call, The Neverending Story definately deserves a mention... but I have to say... movies like Hawk the Slayer and The Sword and the Sorcerer fall into the category of being cool when you were 10 years old or so, but then when you go back and watch them as an adult you see that in fact they truly did suck. :wink:

Zarithar Savageclaw
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Paco Di B » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Fire Monkey wrote:The best sword fight I remember seeing was in a film I think was called Robin and Marion, or something like that. It had Sean Connery and I think Katherine Hepburn (in the late 70's). It is set after the classic Robin Hood stories after Robin returns from the crusades a bit haggard and knackered by years on the road and Marrion has become a nun! Doh!

There is a climatic fight scene between Robin and the Sherriff of Nottingham. There is no finesse at all, it is just messy, bloody, tiring and goes on for hours until they can hardly lift their weapons anymore. Probably it isn't but it seemed much more realistic than all that Errol Flyn-style prancing around in tights (though he as a dude too).

Best Sword fight and "experience" if you will was from a movie called Samurai III: Duel on Ganryu Island.

Oh ya, Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon had some awesome sword fights if I remember correctly.
Paco Di B
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Simon Drat » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:11 pm

Zarithar Savageclaw wrote:
icarusdaddy wrote:Who the hell would vote for anything but the LOTR movies???
are you blind???
FREAKS!!!!!

I had to leave out LoTR just to give the others a fair chance. It simply blows all of them away by such a wide margin... I chose to vote on all the pre-LoTR films.

Ditto here. Because LOTR isn't "a D&D-based movie" it's THREE of them. Three meaty, epic, huuuuuge movies. I personally have the Special Extended Edition boxed sets of the LOTR movies and watch them religiously. I agree that they're near-perfect movie adaptations of an incredibly complicated body of work. I agree that they're pure fantasy artistry and absolutely untouchable by any other predecessor. But how can you compete with that? A 12-Hour saga! It's frikkin incredible, literally a dream come true! Blows my mind how fulfilling it was to spend 29 years waiting for such an endeavor to be undertaken only to have it delivered IN SPADES as a much better film saga then I ever dreamed it could be? But again, how do you compete with the Perfect Fantasy Movie Saga?

Well here's one way, you make it shorter. LOTR is a bit "too perfect" for this poll the way I see it. Why? Extended Edition is 12 Hours, and as much as I love it, as much as a "unknown missing part of me was inexplicably filled by watching these movies" :P ... You simply can't count them in a contest like this IMHO. Because it's 3 movies not one, and each one is 4 hours if you count the Extended edition. It's simply not fair to compare such an endeavor to something like "Labyrinth." I mean, come on! Another great movie, but not even close... But LOTR is more like a great epic mini-series on the big screen, something unique unto itself, something that does and should stand alone.

So... all that in mind, I picked "Conan The Barbarian" which has long been my favorite. The best executed 'serious' fantasy movie (i.e. not corny or played for laughs) of all time. I thought so when it first came out, I think so now. Epic fantasy, true to the original work, gorgeous costumes, props, sets, cinematography, etc., and even Arnie's "acting" is superb if you think about it. He grunts, he slurrrs, he snorts just like a real Barbarian would! PLUS, you can sit down and watch the whole thing in one sitting without taking a mini-vacation to do so. Snake worshippers, human sacrifice, scantily clad slave girls, gladiator fights, resurrection, wizardry, it's got everything!

And while I'm at it here's another BIG vote for a Dragonlance movie... PLEEEEEEEEZ????
Simon Drat
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Highwayman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:52 pm

I voted for Willow but Labrynth kicked some ass too, at least I thought it did also a huge fan of the Princess Bride and Army of Darkness. It was actually hard to vote on this one. Obviously LotR was good and alot of other good ones but hey, in the end it was Willow because "My name is Mad Martigan and I am the greatest swordsman in the world."
Playing as:
Troth The Wanderer, Priest of Maleki
Sigmund Stonehammer, Dwarven Priest

Highwayman
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Tigg » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:56 pm

Even though I've not the biggest Antonio Banderas fan,

I highly recommend "The 13th Warrior". :) I really like that movie.
Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
Tigg
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Emprod » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:09 pm

All this talk of Ladyhawk, but what about the other Rutger Hauer flick from the same era? Flesh & Blood!

Emprod
Sage

PostAuthor: Game-Extremist » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:53 pm

How the %^$& did Dune get on the list.....it's sci-fi right?

Yeah, Conan was my boyhood idle, I loved his comicbook stories of wenching and fighting. Movies were good back in the day.

13th warrior, yeah cool movie, favourite part when he eventually learns the Nordic language other fav part is when they have their funerals and prebattle pep talk y'know "Lo do I see my father blah blah blah" great stuff. :)

But LoTR is the undisputed king of the D&D genre.

Game-Extremist

PostAuthor: Tigg » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:38 pm

Ua mau ke ea o ka ina i ka pono.
Tigg
Elder Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls