Legend
0%
LotR
51%
Willow
9%

Total votes : 303

PostAuthor: Lilith » Mon May 03, 2004 9:53 pm

The 13th Warrior is deffinatly a D&D Game in film. You can imagine the DM going ok were going to do a Nordic campaign roll up Vicking characters. And one of the guys goes awww shit I rolled up and Arab Bard!!!

"Ok ok you can play the bard but you cant speak Nordic common yet and if you want a scimitar your gonna have to learn weapon crafting" :P

Its also the only film with Antonio Banderas in that I will watch apart from Desperado!!
Some people are just like Slinkies - not much use but they make you smile when you shove them downstairs.
Lilith
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon May 03, 2004 10:18 pm

Lilith wrote:Its also the only film with Antonio Banderas in that I will watch apart from Desperado!!

You mean you won't watch Shrek 2?

'Pray for merrrcy from Pusssss... in Boots! Fear me, eef you dare!'

Damn, the way he says that cracks me up.

Anyhow, he was a decent Zorro, too.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: TheElvenKing » Mon May 03, 2004 10:44 pm

LotR is everything I had hoped for and more, even with some of the liberties they took with the story and timeline. I don't see anything coming along that can take it down as the new standard bearer of fantasy films, unless Peter Jackson is convinced to do The Hobbit in the near future. Even then, I can't see it topping what LotR has achieved... only perhaps matching it.

Yes, I liked LotR that much. :lol:
dougnoel wrote:Q: But...
A: No.

TheElvenKing

PostAuthor: Baggie » Tue May 04, 2004 5:05 am

LOTR is in a class of its own, but definite honorable mention to The Princess Bride, simply one of the best sword fights on screen.
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman
Baggie
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Lilith » Tue May 04, 2004 9:16 am

Aloro wrote:You mean you won't watch Shrek 2?

Ok you might have twisted my arm I loved the first shrek so will deffinatly see the second :P
Some people are just like Slinkies - not much use but they make you smile when you shove them downstairs.
Lilith

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Tue May 04, 2004 9:30 am

TheElvenKing wrote:LotR is everything I had hoped for and more, even with some of the liberties they took with the story and timeline. I don't see anything coming along that can take it down as the new standard bearer of fantasy films, unless Peter Jackson is convinced to do The Hobbit in the near future. Even then, I can't see it topping what LotR has achieved... only perhaps matching it.

Yes, I liked LotR that much. :lol:

The reason he should do it is to stop someone else doing it and messing it up,......he's also built the shire so production costs will be less :)
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Baggie » Tue May 04, 2004 12:33 pm

Lilith wrote:
Aloro wrote:You mean you won't watch Shrek 2?

Ok you might have twisted my arm I loved the first shrek so will deffinatly see the second :P

The trailer looks fantastic and cracked me up completely! Puss in Boots looks a great character! Won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it!
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman
Baggie
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue May 04, 2004 9:53 pm

Army of Darkness.... That inspired me to make Isamu

O yeah and as a kid loved HE-MAN..... but when you get older and more grumpy you start to shout on the bad guys

SO Skeletor rules!

Actually funny when i see adverts for He-Man figures and they do a little battle squence and Skeletor lose's and the Advert guys says

"..... AND HE-MAN SAVES THE DAY!"

I always do this at the TV

*Low tone* "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Fifty » Tue May 04, 2004 9:54 pm

Krez wrote:Terry Brooks "Magic Kingdom for Sale"

Good idea.
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Fifty » Tue May 04, 2004 9:56 pm

On teh subject of kids movies... I am sooooo tempted to go and watch Arrival From Cybertron now.
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue May 04, 2004 9:58 pm

On teh subject of kids movies... I am sooooo tempted to go and watch Arrival From Cybertron now.

You go sit down and hit that play button!
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: longbow » Tue May 04, 2004 11:41 pm

pretty unfair on the other films to list LOTR. nothing is ever going to touch those films. should run the vote again missing it off the list.

haven't seen the others for a llooooonnnnnnggg time but if memory serves me correct, ladyhawke gets the vote.
longbow
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: VETT SCALES L7 » Sun May 09, 2004 12:36 pm

I'm afraid I have to pipe in here for Conan .

It's got a giant snake for Gods sakes man!And Conan and his old lady would beat up Aragorn and his old lady any day!
VETT SCALES L7
pwned by ninja

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon May 10, 2004 7:14 pm

longbow wrote:pretty unfair on the other films to list LOTR. nothing is ever going to touch those films. should run the vote again missing it off the list.

Yeah I agree. The rest of those movies were fairly low budget afairs that didn't have the most popular fantasy novel ever to be based on. With both the good and bad that goes along with that.

I've seen most of the other ones on the list, and many were decent or even good, to great.

Ladyhawk, easily the best on that list after LotR. Labyrinth, if it's what I'm thinking of, was quite good for being somewhat light hearted. Beastmaster was good for the budget and time, same was true of Clash of the Titans, Conan, and some of the others.

Dune was a great movie, even it had next to nothing in common with the books.

Oddly enough I didn't think the D&D movie was quite so much of a steaming pile of shit as most others. That's not because it wasn't... But when I finaly did break down and rent it on video... My exptations were so low, that it was actually not bad in comparison. Which isn't to say it wasn't a steaming turd of a movie... But not quite as bad as I was expecting...
Vanor

PostAuthor: Malathyre » Mon May 10, 2004 7:26 pm

Baggie wrote:LOTR is in a class of its own, but definite honorable mention to The Princess Bride, simply one of the best sword fights on screen.

The quips are a lot better in the Princess Bride than the swordfighting, imho. The best choreographed movie swordplay I have ever seen in my life is the climactic battle between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul after Qui-Gon was out of the picture in Star Wars Episode 1. Ray Park is absolutely fantastic, and I actually had to run the movie in slow motion so I could count the number of times that their lightsabers collide in about a 5 second span...it's truly staggering!

Say what you want about the movie and Jar-Jar, maybe you didn't like them and maybe you shouldn't, but the swordplay at the end was phenomenal. Even better than the end of Episode II with Yoda, imho, simply because neither Obi-Wan nor Maul were CGI characters, and it was STILL breath-taking-ly fast!
"The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep!"--Your Horoscope for Today, Weird Al Yankovic
Malathyre
Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon May 10, 2004 8:18 pm

Vanor wrote:Labyrinth, if it's what I'm thinking of, was quite good for being somewhat light hearted.

David Bowie was pretty cool in that flick. I'll never forget when I first saw Labyrinth, or rather 3/4 of it. I was in South Lake Tahoe with my family (we used to go there in the summer, and rent a house from John Muir Jr. - yeah, HIS son) and my sister and I wanted to get out of the sun one day, so we went to check this out. Well, as the film was building towards the climax, I noticed a strange smell. We were sitting kinda close to the back, and the theater wasn't very full, so I got up and opened the door to check. Smoke poured in. I (very calmly, yet quite loudly) announced that there was a fire, and everyone needed to evacuate through the doors at the front. Well, when we got outside, we learned that the popcorn machine had started a grease fire, catching the wall next to it and quickly spreading. The two teenagers working there fled without a thought for the patrons. But hey, I can say I was lucky enough to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theater, once in my life.

Malathyre wrote:The best choreographed movie swordplay I have ever seen in my life is the climactic battle between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul after Qui-Gon was out of the picture in Star Wars Episode 1. Ray Park is absolutely fantastic, and I actually had to run the movie in slow motion so I could count the number of times that their lightsabers collide in about a 5 second span...it's truly staggering!

Agreed. The jedi duel was staggeringly cool, and made up for most of the movie's immense suckage.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon May 10, 2004 8:21 pm

Aloro wrote:David Bowie was pretty cool in that flick.

Ok, it is the one I'm thinking of. I rather liked it, in fact I still sorta use a line from that movie...

"Hullo"

"Did you say hello?"

"No I said hullo, but close enough"

The jedi duel was staggeringly cool, and made up for most of the movie's immense suckage.

There's been serveral times I pop that DVD in, and forward to the Duel of Fates section, cuse it is the best sword fight in the history of movies.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Mon May 10, 2004 8:32 pm

Krez wrote:LOTR is by far the best. But for making of the next movie I would have to say the Terry Brooks "Magic Kingdom for Sale" and that whole series and possibly the Steven Donaldson "Lord Fouls Bane"

Was that not the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever? What an incredibly dark and morose series that was, but so well written. In what other fantasy novels is your protagonist hero a Leper?
I've spent most of my money on beer, fast women, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted .
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: Aloro » Mon May 10, 2004 8:38 pm

"You remind me of the babe."
"What babe?"
"The babe with the power."
"What power?"
"The power of voodoo."
"Who do?"
"You do."
"Do what?"
"You remind me of the babe."

Heh, Labyrinth was actually a pretty decent flick. And David Bowie was born to play am Unseelie Sidhe king, it's probably his best film role. Yeah, ok, he was cool in The Hunger too, but Labyrinth played to his strengths better.

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: Slade_brimstone » Tue May 11, 2004 12:47 am

i vote for Labyrinth.. and ladyhawk and LOTR and.... ok never mind i dont vote i like them all

on a side note .. what the hell was arnolds name in red sonja ...i keep wantin to think they just picked up conan and thru him in the plot

... i liked everyone in the movie except that annoying little asshole kid that was king or something ....
Currently Playering Under the login name of Ralph_The_Pervert_Moogle

Slade_brimstone
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue May 11, 2004 3:20 am

Slade_brimstone wrote:on a side note .. what the hell was arnolds name in red sonja ...i keep wantin to think they just picked up conan and thru him in the plot

Arnold was Kalidor in the movie.

And, incidentally, Red Sonja was created (nominally) by Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan. The Red Sonja we know (redhead with the swords and chainmail bikini) came from the Conan comic books. So it's not surprising you made the association. ;)

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: TheElvenKing » Tue May 11, 2004 3:29 am

Vanor wrote:
The jedi duel was staggeringly cool, and made up for most of the movie's immense suckage.

There's been serveral times I pop that DVD in, and forward to the Duel of Fates section, cuse it is the best sword fight in the history of movies.

I couldn't agree with you more on this one. I've watched that scene countless times, and everything about it from the mood, music and scene scetter where Darth Maul lowers the hood from his head and onward gives me friggin' goosebumps... every single time.
dougnoel wrote:Q: But...
A: No.

TheElvenKing

PostAuthor: Urizen » Tue May 11, 2004 3:55 am

What? No Army of Darkness?
When life gives you lemons, make margaritas.
Urizen
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

DM Avatar: Paragus

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue May 11, 2004 6:56 pm

Aloro wrote:Arnold was Kalidor in the movie.

holy shit, you are a lvl 40 geek aren't you? ;)

I've watched that scene countless times, and everything about it from the mood, music and scene scetter where Darth Maul lowers the hood from his head and onward gives me friggin' goosebumps...

I think the music was a key feature of that fight. Music is so powerful that it can make something shity look good, and something good look great. The contrary to this is, bad music can make something good look like shit.

But the Duel of Fates had it all... Fucking brilliant moves, great actors who could physically pull them off, great timing, and what I'd consider to be The best score for a action secen ever. Playing though say JO or JA (Jedi Outcast or Jedi Acadamy) with the Duel of Fates map, with that music... Makes even a so-so player like me feel like Obi-fucking-Wan
Vanor

PostAuthor: Lafferty » Tue May 11, 2004 7:05 pm

Vanor wrote:
Aloro wrote:Arnold was Kalidor in the movie.

holy shit, you are a lvl 40 geek aren't you? ;)

Without a doubt Aloro is a lvl 40 uber-geek

but such info can be easily looked up with http://imdb.com

In this case: http://imdb.com/title/tt0089893/

Quotes are also available...

Red Sonja: No man may have me, unless he's beaten me in a fair fight.
Kalidor: So, the only man that can have you, is one who's trying to kill you. That's logic.
[Red Sonja goes and lies down. Kalidor picks up his sword and holds it to her throat.]
Kalidor: If you yield only to a conqueror, then prepared to be conquered.
Red Sonja: Don't be a fool, I don't want to kill you.
Kalidor: Try it.
Tool for crafters Do you want some human to your salt? nomanisanisland.monolar.de
Lafferty
Scholar

Location: look at my hands... they are HUGE. And they cant touch themselves...

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls