Stevie Nicks
7%

Total votes : 159

PostAuthor: Arandil » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:57 am

Pug.

Arandil
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:00 pm

Yeah, Pug could take any on any of those FR punks.

Also add:

Turjan of Miir from Dying Earth. He's the original D&D style caster.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Cath » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:03 pm

Arandil wrote:Pug.

If it wasn't for one thing - that name.
Pug?
I wouldn't name my dog Pug if I had one.
Cath
Scholar

PostAuthor: Baggie » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:44 pm

If we are talking evil Wizards then Tom Baker's character Koura from The Golden voyage of Sinbad, is pretty nasty!
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Robert McCloskey, State Department spokesman
Baggie
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:01 pm

Cath wrote:
Arandil wrote:Pug.

If it wasn't for one thing - that name.
Pug?
I wouldn't name my dog Pug if I had one.

he was given a new name of Milamber. Pug was the name he was given as a child and he seemed attached to it, so continued to use it throughout his life though...

he gets my vote..

You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Jakroth » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:57 pm

Raistlin is very cool. He gets my vote. I even did a yr. 12 english essay on him. :D

And Milamber was the name the Tsurani gave to him. On Midkemia he was still Pug.

Jakroth

PostAuthor: Aloro » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:10 pm

Meh, none of these poseurs are in Gandalf's class.

J.R.R.T. wrote:'Knock on the doors with your head, Peregrin Took', said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.

'I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves or Men or Orcs, that was ever used for such a purpose. I can still remember ten score of them without searching in my mind.'

So this guy can think of 200 spells to open doors off the top of his head.

Gandalf was basically an avatar of the God of Wizards, just as Saruman was an avatar of the God of Sorcerors (one way of looking at it). They were both immortal beings created at the dawn of time, who were given bodies that looked man-like in order to complete their mission when they came to Middle-Earth.

Gandalf was acknowledged as the wisest of the Maiar, the "Lesser Gods" of Tolkien's mythology. As he spent more time in Middle-Earth, his avatar became more "manlike" and he got more and more into the role. He lost a lot of his wisdom and power to time and force of habit, and then when he was sent back to finish his job on Middle-Earth as Gandalf the White (upgraded avatar) it was clear he'd lost a lot of his "humanity".

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: 4x4_Ender » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:19 pm

Meh, Gandolf is still a goody too-shoes when it comes right down to it. Raistlin, though, was badass powerful! Riding on the back of an anchient green dragon? :shock:

Raistlin is as powerful as they come as far as Mages. He would mop the floor with Gandolf's pansy corpse. :twisted:
Last edited by 4x4_Ender on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Many make a trade of delusions and false miracles, deceiving the stupid multitude." -Leonardo Da Vinci
4x4_Ender
Sage

PostAuthor: Croton » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:26 pm

Plus Raistlin was powerful enough to become a god himself, if not for his own choice, right?

I do think though that in literary terms, Gandalf is in a higher class than the others.
Last edited by Croton on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Croton

PostAuthor: Aloro » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:33 pm

4x4_Ender wrote:Meh, Gadolf is still a goody too-shoes when it comes right down to it. Raistlin, though, was badass powerful! Riding on the back of an anchient green dragon? :shock:

Raistlin is as powerful as they come as far as Mages. He would mop the floor with Ganfolf's pansy corpse. :twisted:

The instructions given to the Istari when they came to Middle-Earth required them not to use force or show their true power except against powerful foes. 99% of the time Gandalf simply didn't use his powers.

J.R.R.T. wrote:'Dangerous!' cried Gandalf. 'And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, Unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord.'

Raistlin had a lot of character flaws that would be pretty simply exploited by someone with Gandalf's incredible insight. Had Gandalf wanted power, he could quite easily have set himself up as the Dark Lord and overthrown Sauron. Hells, he had the One Ring in his hand at one point, and said as much. Instead, he stuck to the guidelines and did his job right, inspiring the Free Peoples of Middle-Earth to fight for their own future, rather than just doing all the work for them.

Raistlin was a wimp. He couldn't even physically lift Glamdring over his head. :)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:36 pm

I hate people who spell 'Gandolf' and 'Sauromon'. I mean Sauromon, that's like some japanese monster.
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:39 pm

Michael Douglas is a hell of a magic user in my book....
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:56 pm

Damar
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Dralix » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:00 pm

Tangleroot wrote:I mean Sauromon, that's like some japanese monster.

Sounds like a dinosaur pokemon.

Dralix
Silver Contributor

PostAuthor: Penumbra » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:03 pm

I can't decide....

Sigfreid or Roy :P
CPU: I think it would be great for Janus to teach a class at the Academy of Mortal Magic:
"er... I'm Janus, yer substitute teacher. Were gonna talk bout thet bastard Andrinor taday...."
Penumbra
Silver Lifer

PostAuthor: GreyLynx » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:36 pm

For sheer power, I think Raistlin would have to trump Gandalf. The evil guy essentially wiped out all the gods, greater and lesser, and all creation in one alternate future of Krynn, if I remember correctly. Granted, the gods of Krynn didn't create their universe (again, I could be mis-remembering), but that's still pretty potent. Even with the One Ring, I wouldn't expect Gandalf to be able to pull that off, if even Melkor in his heyday couldn't. Of course, Tolkein's magic wasn't always so crass and flashy as Dragonlance. A lot of things that just happened were insinuated to be magical effects without the rigid codification of everything magical into a level 1-9 spell or magic item.

GreyLynx
Elder Sage

Timezone: EDT (GMT-5)

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:40 pm

GreyLynx wrote:For sheer power, I think Raistlin would have to trump Gandalf. The evil guy essentially wiped out all the gods, greater and lesser, and all creation in one alternate future of Krynn, if I remember correctly. Granted, the gods of Krynn didn't create their universe (again, I could be mis-remembering), but that's still pretty potent. Even with the One Ring, I wouldn't expect Gandalf to be able to pull that off, if even Melkor in his heyday couldn't. Of course, Tolkein's magic wasn't always so crass and flashy as Dragonlance. A lot of things that just happened were insinuated to be magical effects without the rigid codification of everything magical into a level 1-9 spell or magic item.

Wow. Raistlin is my hero now.

My heart goes out, from one coughing mage with six constitution to another.
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Dane Bramage » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:00 am

It is important to remember that Tolkien didn't write magic as they do now days. So let's not forget that Gandalf took on the Balrog, passed through the center of the Earth to the lower planes of Hell and defeated him there *takes a deep breath* then crossed the cosmos for an eon before coming back as the white wizard to smite Saruman (how much xp is THAT worth?). Raist may have been the Master of Past and Present, but Gandalf was beyond time. :D

The evil one was mighty potent wizard, tho, and the question was about total power... hrm tough one. *heh heh* I actually voted for Raist myself. By far my favorite Wizard.

Dane.

Dane Bramage
Whiney Peasant

PostAuthor: terryrayc » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:54 am

Redloved wrote:No Beldin?

I'm surprised.

Not a wizard...Just ask him....We has above that.

As were all of them....My fav set of books by the way.

terryrayc
Sage

PostAuthor: Jeffi0 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:58 am

Alfred! :D
Jeffi0
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Quiz001 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:52 am

It's got to be merlin. Talk about time-stop? Hell, he lived backwards!
THIS IS NOT A FREE HAIRCUT

Quiz001
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Vroshgrak » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:26 am

the mentor of Pugs. Who lived on the island in the lake. That guy would school the rest of them. Forgot his name
Vroshgrak

Timezone: Pacific (GMT -8/-7)
DM Avatar: Hurine

PostAuthor: Jordicus » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:29 am

Vroshgrak wrote:the mentor of Pugs. Who lived on the island in the lake. That guy would school the rest of them. Forgot his name

Macros
You see things and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" George Bernard Shaw
Jordicus

PostAuthor: Redloved » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:01 pm

terryrayc wrote:
Redloved wrote:No Beldin?

I'm surprised.

Not a wizard...Just ask him....We has above that.

As were all of them....My fav set of books by the way.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. Though Beldin could easily take anyone on that list.

They are my favorite books as well.
Redloved
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: TheElvenKing » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:08 pm

Gandalf - any wizard with the balls to dual-wield a staff and longsword, and do it well, is tops in my book. :lol:
dougnoel wrote:Q: But...
A: No.

TheElvenKing

PreviousNext

Return to Avlis Polls