Deglos - (0)
Total players: 8
Gallery

Links Menu

Offical Disquise Guidelines

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:47 pm

keikobad wrote:Shouldn't this be posted in the Rules forum? Gonna get buried soon here...

The orginal will be reposted in the rules form at some point. I put it here so people could read it and ask questions or make comments with out having the rules form cluttered up.
Vanor
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:02 pm

Just a note - while Diamond is ok with identifying her character by her perfume, this is not a valid approach for all characters and all situations. Not all characters use perfumes, and not all perfumes are distinctive.

Like most things though, if it's ok with all players involved, it shouldn't be a problem. Thus I recommend ASKING first before trying to do this. ;)

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: kombinat » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:51 pm

I assume Shadow Shield is equally as effective as Barkskin when it comes to disguising.
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:00 pm

kombinat wrote:I assume Shadow Shield is equally as effective as Barkskin when it comes to disguising.

Yes, in fact any spell that covers the body in that way would do the trick. I'm not sure if there are any, other then barkskin or shadow shield... But if there are, then they'd have the same effect.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:02 pm

The Shadowdancer ability Shadow Evade works along the same lines as Barkskin, albeit for a much shorter duration.

- Aloro
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote:The meaning of earthly existence lies, not as we have grown used to thinking, in prosperity, but in the development of the soul.
Aloro

PostAuthor: Diamond » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:33 pm

Aloro wrote:Just a note - while Diamond is ok with identifying her character by her perfume, this is not a valid approach for all characters and all situations. Not all characters use perfumes, and not all perfumes are distinctive.

Erm, the character in question did not identify Pussycat by name.. just by gender :) and no, I would Not be alright with someone ID'ing any of my characters by name because they smell something sweet nearby.

Unless of course one of my characters were given a special perfume all her own :) then of course I would have to publicize that in-game or on the boards for my character to be identified by that distinct smell, of course.

"ooh, I smell eau de kickass-beautiful-entertainer.. Pussycat must be near" :) now This might be viable, in a strictly RP sense.. not an "ID and I kill you" CvC sort of sense.

Diamond
Contributor

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:43 pm

Diamond wrote:Erm, the character in question did not identify Pussycat by name.. just by gender :)

That was my point. I could see someone having their gender detected by scent from time to time... Even if the person doing it, had no special ablity that way.
Vanor

PostAuthor: The Constrainer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:47 pm

Are circlets offically face covering?

The Constrainer
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:52 pm

The Constrainer wrote:Are circlets offically face covering?

Offically, if a helmet covers your avatars face, it covers your face IC at least.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Aloro » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:01 pm

Vanor wrote:
Diamond wrote:Erm, the character in question did not identify Pussycat by name.. just by gender :)

That was my point. I could see someone having their gender detected by scent from time to time... Even if the person doing it, had no special ablity that way.

Ah, I thought perhaps Pussycat was known for wearing a heavy perfume, and the character in question was claiming to recognize said perfume.

Identifying someone's sex by smelling them could work from time to time, but again, I suggest asking the player first. Do not assume that a given character is wearing perfume or cologne, nor that they reek of pheromones, unless they tell you so.

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: Bear » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:09 pm

Aloro wrote:Identifying someone's sex by smelling them could work from time to time, but again, I suggest asking the player first. Do not assume that a given character is wearing perfume or cologne, nor that they reek of pheromones, unless they tell you so.
- Aloro

Really no need to do this. Just look at the boobs on the armor model. It's a dead give-away.

Bear
Bear
Scholar

PostAuthor: Diamond » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:09 pm

*grins* since smelling in D&D is all relative (as in no skill or attribute that one can build upon) I've used it a couple times to explain those things that can't be explained.. as in.. Kira walking into a subterranean chamber in Elysia labeled "Tomb of the Balor King" and then walking outside and chatting to another PC about the chamber and why there might be an entombed balor there, since she wasn't involved IC with the quest, but has definitely dealt with balors before and knows what they smell like.

Kira - "Gee there's a balor in there"

Other PC - "how do you know that?"

Kira - "Um.. because I know what a balor smells like"

You get the drift :) strictly RP in a soft sense, and not to be used for absolute identification.

Diamond
Contributor

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:17 pm

Bear wrote:Really no need to do this. Just look at the boobs on the armor model. It's a dead give-away.

Yeah but with CEP, there's a torso piece that makes you look like a pregant woman. Which look rather funny on a guy. :lol:

Edit: Oh regarding Di and the balor thing... That seems acceptable to me.
Vanor

PostAuthor: 4x4_Ender » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:28 pm

Vanor wrote:
Bear wrote:Really no need to do this. Just look at the boobs on the armor model. It's a dead give-away.

Yeah but with CEP, there's a torso piece that makes you look like a pregant woman. Which look rather funny on a guy. :lol:

WOOT! Beer bellies!
"Many make a trade of delusions and false miracles, deceiving the stupid multitude." -Leonardo Da Vinci
4x4_Ender
Sage

PostAuthor: Bear » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:37 pm

Any chance we will ever see the CEP "Disguise Mask" in game?

It essentially gives you an entirely new head model of a human with brown hair :twisted:.

Given the new changling abilities perhaps it's not without consideration....

Thanks,

Bear
Bear
Scholar

PostAuthor: Titanium Dragon » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:51 am

Possible exception worthy of discussion: a druid/shifter (NOT changeling) changes into a dog/wolf, smells someone, then smells them again (in the same dog/wolf form) later. The body shape carries with it the Scent special ability, which acts like the feat would if available.

Does it really? As in, is that a listed ability? If not, wouldn't that be just as much cheesing as saying a gnoll (which does in PnP have the Scent feat I believe) having that ability?

Also, I take it improved invisibility, blur, and concealment have similar disguising effects as barkskin, shadowskin, ect.?
Gilkin> ouch. how often do you roll a 20?
Cath> once every 20 rolls?
Titanium Dragon
Sage

PostAuthor: Aloro » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:16 am

Titanium Dragon wrote:
Possible exception worthy of discussion: a druid/shifter (NOT changeling) changes into a dog/wolf, smells someone, then smells them again (in the same dog/wolf form) later. The body shape carries with it the Scent special ability, which acts like the feat would if available.

Does it really? As in, is that a listed ability? If not, wouldn't that be just as much cheesing as saying a gnoll (which does in PnP have the Scent feat I believe) having that ability?

Also, I take it improved invisibility, blur, and concealment have similar disguising effects as barkskin, shadowskin, ect.?

Creatures that have the Scent special ability in PnP could be reasonably assumed to have that special ability in NWN. This includes ( but is not limited to ) animals such as dogs and wolves. This DOES NOT include any playable races or subraces - I checked the gnoll entry in the MM just now.

Improved invisibility would work better as a disguise than barkskin, in that the target cannot be seen at all. The exception to this is viewers with See Invisible or True Seeing up, from whom Improved Invisibility offers no protection.

- Aloro
Aloro

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:58 am

Vanor wrote:
Melakin Skywieder wrote:So how does Barkskin or stoneskin come into play?

Barkskin would be slightly less effective then armor/helm. You wouldn't see the color of someone's armor, helm, ect... But you'd still see the general design of it. Same goes for the face, it would still be the PC's face but harder to make out fine details.

Just to clarify for me: does this mean that barkskin puts a bark layer over your clothing/armor?

I know it's implemented that way visually in NWN, but i always thought barkskin was a toughening of the skin, not an extra exo-armoral layer of bark. Maybe that's just the PnP description confusing me though.

So, IC'ly, is it indeed an extra skin of bark over your armor, or is it your skin becoming barklike?

M.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.

Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
Khaelindra
Contributor

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Vanor » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:00 pm

Khaelindra wrote:So, IC'ly, is it indeed an extra skin of bark over your armor, or is it your skin becoming barklike?

I'd have to think that one over.

On the one hand, we generally perfer to have things work like they do in PnP, when possible. However given that there is no way that I know of to alter the visual effect on a spell, short of removing it... It might be best to assume IC'ly that it does cover everything, sence that is the visual effect everyone see's.

So I'd say IC'ly it looks like it does in the game.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Precis Riddell » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:17 pm

I like these rules. They seem to cover all the bases.

One question, though; distinctive jewelry. Should it necessarily have to be taken off? You can just tuck it under your garments, or something. So, perhaps unless a character is wearing clothing under which jewelry could not be hidden, such as something open, or sheer, amulets might be worn? By the same token, rings could be covered by gloves, no?

Forgive my nitpicking, please. <3
Elves are not tall. Stop making tall elves.
Precis Riddell
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Vanor » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:24 pm

Precis Riddell wrote:Should it necessarily have to be taken off?

Sure you could tuck it under a shirt, or wear gloves, ect... But the reason I said they should be removed/replaced is because doing so requires effort, albit not much of that. It is however a overt sign to DM's and the PC doing it, what they are trying to do.

Disquising yourself, or otherwise covering your identity is not something that should be easy to do, without special training of some sort. So asking people to take a few seconds to remove a few items seems reasonable to me.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Tangleroot » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:51 pm

About Gnolls, on Avlis their senses are simulated by giving them some feats and pluses for certain skills. Surely it wouldn't be cheesy to use those at least for some degree.

SkillAfinity-Listen
SkillAffinity-Search
SkillAffinity-Spot
Keen sense

*smears some horse manure on his cloak to cover his scent* Ergh
Tangleroot
Silver Member

PostAuthor: Vanor » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:22 pm

Regarding scent.

Sure it could be RP'ed... But it would be at best just one more thing, it couldn't be the only thing.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Cath » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:56 pm

As anything else scent is to be treated with common sense.
I'd know the smell of my love anywhere...elf with a touch of wolf... :D

Seriously it's one of the things we've talked about in game and considering how many times I've commented on the way he smells I wouldn't make a mistake...
Anyone else? Never.
Eh..is it Father Froag that stinks?
There might be exceptions.

He uses his wolf companion to track me...also a correct use of scent as she knows me real well.
Cath
Scholar

PostAuthor: obsidian » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:06 am

Now that the Sereg cat is out of the bag...

Is the following cheesing?

You are trying to hide your skin color. It is night, and you're wearing a robe that has a hood hanging on the back. Since there's no hoods in the game, when you see someone you *emote* pulling your hood forward and trying to keep in the shadows, so at least you could slip away before an alarm is made etc.

It's of course up to the players in question, but any ideas on this? You could just wear a helmet to cover the head, but that would just draw more attention.

Does CEP have hoods?
obsidian
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion