Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Aligment Cookies

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: kombinat » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:38 pm

Got my own second DM alignment shift last night :)

One thing I'd like to see changed though... I know this is a necrotic issue, and here I am exhuming it.. tsk tsk.. is the way alignment changes occur due to party members.

Right now if a party member does something Good/Evil/Lawful/Chaotic, you get your alignment changed. No matter where on the server you are. I'd prefer to see it happen in the same way XP does... you get a shift if you're in the same area as the cause of the shift. Could we see that happen? If you're in the same area... well, you stood by while someone did something good/evil/chaotic.. but if they're on the opposite side of a server and they took something from a chest, where's the justification for you getting a chaotic shift? You had no idea what was happening, no way to stop it, if it wasn't for the alignment shift message you wouldn't even know it had happened. And I assume that information is OOC. Either same area... or not party-based at all, though that may be going too far.

I've seen the previous responses, "Be careful who you party with"... this is something that actively discourages partying.

Another change I'd like to see... take away the "alignment shift" messages altogether. Have your alignment changing quietly, something you only notice if you're watching the numbers on your char sheet. What does the Team think of such a change?
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat
Team Member; Retired with Honors

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Malathyre » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:31 pm

kombinat wrote:Right now if a party member does something Good/Evil/Lawful/Chaotic, you get your alignment changed. No matter where on the server you are. I'd prefer to see it happen in the same way XP does... you get a shift if you're in the same area as the cause of the shift. Could we see that happen? If you're in the same area... well, you stood by while someone did something good/evil/chaotic.. but if they're on the opposite side of a server and they took something from a chest, where's the justification for you getting a chaotic shift?

Hmm...why are you partied up with people on the opposite side of the server?
"The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep!"--Your Horoscope for Today, Weird Al Yankovic
Malathyre
Sage

PostAuthor: kombinat » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:52 pm

Malathyre wrote:Hmm...why are you partied up with people on the opposite side of the server?

Wow.. you've never been partied with someone who has died? Come adventure with me some, we'll soon fix that!
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Cath » Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:59 pm

kombinat wrote:
Malathyre wrote:Hmm...why are you partied up with people on the opposite side of the server?

Wow.. you've never been partied with someone who has died? Come adventure with me some, we'll soon fix that!

It has happened to me lots of times that someone in their deathplane (can it be Arborea?) made my alignment shift.

Last night thought we were standing around talking when I suddenly get the message "Lomir Ma'Fer's actions have shifted your alignment one point towards evil" - and I still have no clue what he did and therefore no idea how to react to it IC.
That makes no sense to me at all.
Cath
Scholar

PostAuthor: Malathyre » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:00 pm

kombinat wrote:

Wow.. you've never been partied with someone who has died?

Sure I have...I just didn't think of this when I posted, and you didn't mention this in your example. My brain thought, "Ol' kombinat there is partying up with folks on the other side of the server, eh? Hmm, there's gotta be something there I'm missing..." and I was right, there was!

Usually when my character bites it, she's either the only one who is dead, or everyone is dead (this is what happens when you are the weakest link, as she almost always is :)), and in either case, there usually aren't too many people doing things to mess with my alignment or their own at the time. *shrugs* However, I admit to not knowing very many of the scripted quests that exist that change alignment...I can think of only 3 that I know of.
"The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep!"--Your Horoscope for Today, Weird Al Yankovic
Malathyre
Sage

PostAuthor: Malathyre » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:03 pm

Cath wrote:It has happened to me lots of times that someone in their deathplane (can it be Arborea?) made my alignment shift.

Last night thought we were standing around talking when I suddenly get the message "Lomir Ma'Fer's actions have shifted your alignment one point towards evil" - and I still have no clue what he did and therefore no idea how to react to it IC.

Ok! I stand corrected!! :oops: Mea Culpa...sorry!! This has never happened to me, and I couldn't conceive of a way in which it would happen that would make much sense. Clearly, I am wrong.
Malathyre
Sage

PostAuthor: Sindol » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:05 pm

Cath wrote:Last night thought we were standing around talking when I suddenly get the message "Lomir Ma'Fer's actions have shifted your alignment one point towards evil" - and I still have no clue what he did and therefore no idea how to react to it IC.

Well, let's see. You caught a halfling, that was admittedly one of the "bad guys", you were tracking them for several miles. What caused the evil cookie was the fact that Lomir started torturing him and his friend to get the info out of them, by using bigby's hand to hold them down and acid arrows to damage them. Torturing is most definitely not an accepted way of questioning prisoners for those of high moral standing.

Normally I would have asked him to leave the party, so only he would be affected, but since you all stood menacingly around the victims, without objecting, nay even adding to the threats in some cases, I didn't bother in this case. Standing by and watching while evil is being done is also evil.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Cath » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:12 pm

Sindol wrote:
Cath wrote:Last night thought we were standing around talking when I suddenly get the message "Lomir Ma'Fer's actions have shifted your alignment one point towards evil" - and I still have no clue what he did and therefore no idea how to react to it IC.

Well, let's see. You caught a halfling, that was admittedly one of the "bad guys", you were tracking them for several miles. What caused the evil cookie was the fact that Lomir started torturing him and his friend to get the info out of them, by using bigby's hand to hold them down and acid arrows to damage them. Torturing is most definitely not an accepted way of questioning prisoners for those of high moral standing.

Normally I would have asked him to leave the party, so only he would be affected, but since you all stood menacingly around the victims, without objecting, nay even adding to the threats in some cases, I didn't bother in this case. Standing by and watching while evil is being done is also evil.

Alright - it was delivered with delay then.
What was going on right then and there seemed sort of innocent but if so I can accept it...even could have taken a 5 point shift without complaint - he really was mean earlier come to think of it - BAD Lomir!
Cath
Scholar

PostAuthor: Sindol » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:15 pm

Cath wrote:Alright - it was delivered with delay then.
What was going on right then and there seemed sort of innocent but if so I can accept it...even could have taken a 5 point shift without complaint - he really was mean earlier come to think of it - BAD Lomir!

Yeah, sorry about that delay, but that's one of the technical difficulties. You can't you the DM wand while you are possessing and I judged it would disturb the conversation too much if I popped out of possession to use it on Lomir, so I noted it down and waited for the next free oportunity: probably when you were all just talking together.
So much fun,
yet so little time to enjoy it.
- Sindol
Sindol

PostAuthor: Cath » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:18 pm

Sindol wrote:
Cath wrote:Alright - it was delivered with delay then.

Yeah, sorry about that delay, but that's one of the technical difficulties. You can't you the DM wand while you are possessing and I judged it would disturb the conversation too much if I popped out of possession to use it on Lomir, so I noted it down and waited for the next free oportunity: probably when you were all just talking together.

That's no problem as long as I know it works that way.
It's just that the scripted ones happens in real time and I never even thought of the possibility that it was brought on by earlier sins.
I know now - keep them coming. :D
Cath
Scholar

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team