Wilderness - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 15
Gallery

Links Menu

Awards for making DM quests or events

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:37 pm

Actually wrote:Understandable, certainly. Anything that is truly unique is, of course, huge amounts of work for the team...

I look at truly custom items, as the reward for a lenthy quest, that a given PC figured into in a major way. I completely understand that the power of these items are less imporant then the prestige they bring.

On a side, one of the coolest DM rewards I've ever given out, on Avlis or PnP, was to Mari and a few other PC's. They got a plaque and a small flower planted in honor of an short adventure I ran for them. It's forever a part of Elysia now, although I'm not sure how many people know about it or where it is... However I know for them, the fact that it's there, means more then how many people know about it.

Well, I know I'm a powergaming scumbag and all, so maybe it's just me?

Well you are on the "Powregaming, cheating scumbag who's not worthy to lick Stranngs nut sack" list. ;) (For anyone who didn't get it, that is a joke)

I'd say in your case it's a combonation of two factors. One being part of HUGE plotlines. Those don't have a reward that matches up to the epic level of the plot line... The major rewards go to the major players in those plots, it has to be that way, or else we'd have a serrious ballance issue.

The other, not being there at the end of the plot line.

But all in all I think the idea of spreading the loot out though out the whole event, rather then the hoard at the end is a good idea. I know some DM's do this, but I think we should all do this, where it makes sense. Also the idea of replacement expendables is a good one.
Vanor
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:45 pm

Vanor wrote:But all in all I think the idea of spreading the loot out though out the whole event, rather then the hoard at the end is a good idea. I know some DM's do this, but I think we should all do this, where it makes sense. Also the idea of replacement expendables is a good one.

What can be done on the long epic plotlines, is to treat each session as if it were a one-time 3-4 hour session and follow the CoPap/Orl guidelines from there. That means that the participants who may only be there for once or two sessions or for other reasons can't be the star of the show get a bone tossed to them. After all, it may be a month before they get another 3-4 hour quest.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Actually » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:48 pm

Vanor wrote:On a side, one of the coolest DM rewards I've ever given out, on Avlis or PnP, was to Mari and a few other PC's. They got a plaque and a small flower planted in honor of an short adventure I ran for them. It's forever a part of Elysia now, although I'm not sure how many people know about it or where it is... However I know for them, the fact that it's there, means more then how many people know about it.

I feel the same way about the portrait of Jerry in the Canvas. That little example of Jerry's impact on the landscape, and the players, of Avlis means so much more to me than I can express. The fact that it's there because I helped Janur sell dirty paintings of the OoG makes it that much better. :lol:

Well you are on the "Powregaming, cheating scumbag who's not worthy to lick Stranngs nut sack" list. ;) (For anyone who didn't get it, that is a joke)

I'd say in your case it's a combonation of two factors. One being part of HUGE plotlines. Those don't have a reward that matches up to the epic level of the plot line... The major rewards go to the major players in those plots, it has to be that way, or else we'd have a serrious ballance issue.

The other, not being there at the end of the plot line.

But all in all I think the idea of spreading the loot out though out the whole event, rather then the hoard at the end is a good idea. I know some DM's do this, but I think we should all do this, where it makes sense. Also the idea of replacement expendables is a good one.

Yeah, always the bridesmaid and never the bride, huh? *laughs* How I see it, Jerry's popular enough that he winds up getting a piece of the action for lots of the big, Avlis-altering plots, but he's weak enough and shows up rarely enough that he has trouble getting his teeth sunk into a real good "middle-of-the-road" adventure. On the bright side, I've been given a RL impetus to rekindle my Avlis addiction in a big way, so I'm hoping my odds will improve a bit in the near future.

Bye Now,
Jerry Cornelius - Back in style...
Everything I need to know in life, I learned from being an alcoholic.

Actually
Sage

PostAuthor: Ashlynn » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:51 pm

Actually wrote:I feel the same way about the portrait of Jerry in the Canvas. That little example of Jerry's impact on the landscape, and the players, of Avlis means so much more to me than I can express. The fact that it's there because I helped Janur sell dirty paintings of the OoG makes it that much better. :lol:

Ahh, memories....

*pulls a little ruler out of her sleeve*

Ashlynn
Scholar

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:55 pm

There is a big difference between personalized gear and gear with personality, as actualy mentioned.

I am talking about things like Deider made. If you are going to toss out custom items, why not occasionaly toss out equipment that is drasticaly different.

+2 sword *yawn*.
weapon with any one of these is equivalent/less cost, but is nifty...
* +1 stat
* +2 deflection
* +1d10 damage vs 2races
* 10/- elemental resist
* keen
* on-hit blindness, deafness, disease, daze, slow, wounding, some spell, etc
* +1 regen
* +4 vamperic regen
* +10 skill
* +2 save vs XXX
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:09 pm

WrathOG777 wrote:+2 sword *yawn*.
weapon with any one of these is equivalent/less cost, but is nifty...

Hmm I don't think anyone has custom, personized gear, that is really nothing more then a stock +x weapon.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:12 pm

Vergilius wrote:What can be done on the long epic plotlines, is to treat each session as if it were a one-time 3-4 hour session and follow the CoPap/Orl guidelines from there.

Myself I try to avoid the long epic plotlines, as a DM. I've found that pound for pound, as it were, people have more fun in the 1 to 3, 2-4 hour session, type quests then the long 'change the face of avlis' type quests.

But yeah, that's a great idea for how to give out the proper amount of loot in those long plots.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Garand » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:14 pm

I was able to participate in the final, final showdown with the Mistress, the culmination of hours of roleplaying and adventuring on my part. At the end of all that I got one single item ... but that item is unique ... I know no one else has one like it, nor ever will, and more importantly ... it mentions me in the description. The stats are nice too ... I'll never take them off. It, by far, made every long, mostly boring, sometimes dangerous hour of searching the wilderness, every close brush with death, every short chaotic visit to Arborea, every moment of frustration as related event after related event I came out with less XPs than I had going in ... it made it all worth it. It made me feel special.

I'm with Reinstag (and not just cause he's my brother, though our agreeances are born of roleplaying together for almost all of our lives) ...

Its not about rewards with value, or use, its about rewards with meaning.

Even cookies can be done this way ... if you're a DM and you cookie someone ... if time persists and its for something in particular... toss that player a short tell also ...

"That was funny."

or

"That was for taking a feat that fit your character instead of giving him some sort of contrived edge." (Something I've heard about happening in the past)

To get personal encouragement from this stellar team (a group I respect and adore) would, to me, have just as much value as a any Cookie award.

And Jerry, never wear the gnome stuff. The goodness of a cake is not in the mix ... its in the frosting.

-Garand
Garand
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:23 pm

Garand wrote:and not just cause he's my brother

You have my undying and enternal pitty for that... In fact I'd say you deserve like a 1,000,000exp cookie, and a full set of +25 items.

:P @ Rien...

On a different note, I'd like peoples opinions about the following.

I once gave a group a +something long sword, after a little quest I threw together. I told them when the NPC I was controlling gave it to them, that it was a special item. The hilt was made from the horn of one of the clans great elders, taken after he had died. The event in question involved the PC's saving a group of minotaurs from a balor.

Now it didn't say this anywhere in the weapon description, it was a spur of the moment decision on my part, the weapon was in all ways, just a normal +whatever long sword.

Is such a thing, having what is in truth a normal or even magical item, that has nothing special inherent on it, or even a special description something most people would like to get. If it IC'ly speaking has something special about it.

The reason I ask, is I like giving out rewards of that nature, something with some history and such behind it, something with some meaning to it. But at the same time, the amount of work required to put a real custom description that shows up in the game, really needs to be reserved for the more major rewards.
Vanor

PostAuthor: Actually » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:33 pm

Vanor wrote:On a different note, I'd like peoples opinions about the following.

I once gave a group a +something long sword, after a little quest I threw together. I told them when the NPC I was controlling gave it to them, that it was a special item. The hilt was made from the horn of one of the clans great elders, taken after he had died. The event in question involved the PC's saving a group of minotaurs from a balor.

Now it didn't say this anywhere in the weapon description, it was a spur of the moment decision on my part, the weapon was in all ways, just a normal +whatever long sword.

Is such a thing, having what is in truth a normal or even magical item, that has nothing special inherent on it, or even a special description something most people would like to get. If it IC'ly speaking has something special about it.

The reason I ask, is I like giving out rewards of that nature, something with some history and such behind it, something with some meaning to it. But at the same time, the amount of work required to put a real custom description that shows up in the game, really needs to be reserved for the more major rewards.

Personally, I'd LOVE that. My +3 Heavy Xbow doesn't say "Old Bessie" anywhere in the description, but that doesn't make her any less my faithful old girl. My Harp of Haunting doesn't say "Jerry's Most Amazing Harp of Kittens on Fire" but I still make the emote every damn time I have an IC reason to. I wish you could have heard the huge, whopping lies I told at the AAAA Grand Opening about the weapons that I was selling. For me, I'm constantly trying to come up with new ways that I can push the NWN engine to the very LIMITS of RP, 'cause the RP is why I'm here. That's why my Jester's Robes are my "holiday clothes" and why that white dress I have is my "legless beggar costume". I'll use a glitch, I'll use an omission of text, I'll lie my ass off if I have to, all to enrich my play experience and, hopefully, the play experiences of the people around me.

PS: If anyone wants to buy the fabled, "Lost Powderkeg of Kurathene" bidding starts at 100k. :D

Bye Now,
Jerry Cornelius - "Little Kaelyn's Sometimes-Fire-Beetle-Poker"

Actually
Sage

PostAuthor: Nob » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:40 pm

Vanor wrote:On a different note, I'd like peoples opinions about the following.

Well I know that at least Ayren goes around "researching" the background of each enchanted weapon he finds, given both his upbringing heavy with the "sword is one's soul" outlook and his job/hobby as a weapon collecter/smith.

I know at least that Ayren and Gorm when they actually meet spend some time discussing the historical importance of something. For example, when Ayren made a purchase of 2 daggers they'd discuss where it came from, who made it, "This here's a Jechranian dagger set used by a priestess of Dre'Ana." "It's a gift for a lady...I hope she doesn't use it for the same things the Jechranian did." "Oh no, castration's too good for this particular blade, apparently it's so good it was reserved just to kill women." "Gee, lucky me..."(This isn't an actual conversation of course.)

An actual conversation is:
Ayren Milen:
Hey Gorm... What do you figure is the age of this rapier? The edge stone and carving dates back a bit to the Republican era of Kurathene...But that doesn't seem to be the right era for the forging techniques used in the blade itself. And...you can see the type of steel used is closer to Galdosian materials than anything to the Northwest of the continent.

Gorm FireHand
*nods* Aye ... look here on th'pommel ... ye kin barely make it out ... th'symbol o'Fegal

Ayren Milen
*Nods* Deglos then?
The inscription makes a little more sense now...it's scribed in three languages.

Gorm FireHand
Prolly ... ah'd say east Deglos ... prolly traded t'a merchant from Kurathene

Ayren Milen
Basically says "I am a bane of orcs, the armies of Brekon will fear me." I think.

Gorm FireHand
Aye ... tha's wha' th'dwarven part say ...

Llyshra
seem like people should make more greatswords an less rapiers

Ayren Milen
It actually says the same thing in dwarven, elven and I think this is dracon.

Llyshra
you can write more on a greatsword

Ayren Milen
*chuckles*
The one I got you had a poem about killing giants, I think.

Gorm FireHand
Heh
Good poem ah'm sure. Ah already like th'subject matter

Llyshra
you could write this is one really damn nice sword for choppin the heads off of any ocr stupid enough to stand there a seconf too long
or somethin like that

Ayren Milen
It said something like "Giant-kin will fall beneath my edge like wheat to a scythe. Split by the keenness of my blade, they will burn in the eternal fires of the Abyss."
Some really scary thing...
Whoever made it REALLY didn't like giants.

Gorm FireHand
*grins*

Llyshra
yeah...sorry i lost that one

Little things like this give little items some character(even if they do have a generic description)

A little DM blurb about the history of an item(maybe if someone has a high enough lore skill?) would make it that much more interesting I think.
Nob
Elder DM
Elder DM

DM Avatar: Dead but still a Dreamer

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:47 pm

Vanor wrote:

You have my undying and enternal pitty for that... In fact I'd say you deserve like a 1,000,000exp cookie, and a full set of +25 items.

ok, for one, on that last point, what I meant was that i am not talking aobut personalized. I was saying neat stuff. Not meant for anyone in particular, just like what you just mentioned here. Instead of +2 sword, it is the nifty minotar deamon killing sword with a description. and just for you...

I will do the work. You give me a request any time and I will produce the team a plethera of nifty items with descriptions. Say yes and I will make you items like no bodies bussiness. In fact, you could call me a subcontrator, etc etc.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Actually » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:48 pm

*envisions the magic broom in Fantasia*

Bye Now,
Jerry Cornelius - If you say yes, he won't ever stop, ever. :D

Actually
Sage

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:02 am

Vanor wrote:

At the end of the golem quest, something similar to this happened with some supposedly powerful artifacts whose magic was undone to make the golem in the first place. When the golem was unmade, these were remade. All of them were fairly normal NWN gear. I've got 2 such Pieces that Pollio is basically just going to hold on to, neither of them had great stats, neither are custom, but they have a story attatched to them courtesy of the quest that he'll take to the grave with him.

I see absolutely no problem with this if thats what you want to do. I'm sure there will be some who will look at it for the stats, but a lot of us are in it for the RP and if you give us an RP reason to have sentimental affection for a weapon/armor/whatever, it makes the gift a lot more special without all the other necessary work.

Vergilius

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Melakin Skywieder » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:12 am

ok, for one, on that last point, what I meant was that i am not talking aobut personalized. I was saying neat stuff. Not meant for anyone in particular, just like what you just mentioned here. Instead of +2 sword, it is the nifty minotar deamon killing sword with a description. and just for you...

Well since all of this is IC and fantasy anyway if you get something like that YOU can give it a description.

For example at the end of a DM quest where we saved some minotaurs from being enslaved by a Balor, the minotaurs gave us a +2 longsword. I was given it since I lead the group and I still have it though I have never used it. When the minotaur gave it to us he told us it was a heirloom of his clan, the handle made from the horn of a great hero of the minotaur people. If I show it to you by a barter or some other method it will say +2 longsword. But if I tell you what it is, it has much greater meaning IC that the OOC examine gives you :wink:

No need to do anything else other than remember what you were told from a creative DM.
If money it the root of all evil, I want to be a bad man!

Melakin Skywieder

PostAuthor: Garand » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:31 am

Vanor wrote:

While I believe that roleplay is more important I will humbly accept such a thing only so that I might bolsterhope in the hearts of those newcomers to this fine gaming world.

That and, at heart, I'm really just a greedy bitch. :twisted:
Garand
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: kombinat » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:31 am

Weren't item descriptions becoming easily modifiable with HotU? Wouldn't that make this kind of thing that much more.. there?

I for one have been having ideas about this since day one.. imagine being able to actually.. *gasp* leave a note! If that's possible, it'd be so cool :) So many ideas..

Edit: I've been searching on the web and finding nothing to substantiate my memory.. maybe I'm losing it.. :roll:
Last edited by kombinat on Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat

DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Starslayer_D » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:35 am

*g* just as Amoniens astral blade is for her a sunbalde, forged to smite Vampyres. The blade was a reward, and will remain one long time to come.

Starslayer_D
Master Sage

PostAuthor: engelhar » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:52 am

Thought I would throw in my experiences with items, just to leave another example. Been playing for a year now, and my character is now lvl 18. In total I have received one item from a DM(+1 comp long bow, still use it to this day), and that was during my first month, I think. No big deal to me, I have had some generous IC friends help me out, and I have no real need for equipment anyways.

Figured another example might help the team in deciding if they need to be dropping stuff a little more often. I think my problem in general is just a lack of DMs when I play and my inability to schedule more then 2 or so hours in a row for playing.

engelhar
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Diamond » Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:59 am

Reinstag wrote:Avlis is a roleplay server. The items handed out don't have to have stats. All they have to do is have meaning.

*still has fond memories of the Lock of Durenunde's hair that Kira carried around for months after his death*

thanks again Vian

Diamond
Contributor

PostAuthor: KinX » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:06 pm

Kharak's got his own collection of items that he gained from quests. Things that are totally useless to him, but he's held on to. It's kinda small collection though....
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: Vanor » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:25 pm

kombinat wrote:Weren't item descriptions becoming easily modifiable with HotU? Wouldn't that make this kind of thing that much more.. there?

If possible that would be great. But even then, I doubt they'd surive in a persistent chest. You'd need to change the resref in order for the item to be reloaded again I believe.

You give me a request any time and I will produce the team a plethera of nifty items with descriptions.

Not that we don't apprecate offers like this, but it's not something I think we could do. The problem is, you would need to make say 50 of each varation of weapon, then the DM's would have to know what weapons have been handed out. Also that means 150 long swords (+1, +2 and +3), 150 bastard swords, 150 short swords... Ect, the number of items would make the pallete so large it would cause a lot of problems.

No need to do anything else other than remember what you were told from a creative DM.

Very well put, and thank you for the complement. :) But yeah, that is what I was trying to say, and wondered how acceptable such rewards were to people in general.

Do people mind, having to remember the IC description, or would people prefer something more hard coded.
Vanor

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:58 pm

<-
has the memory of a peanut.

IC descriptions donot survive theft. They could survive trades, but get the telephone effect.

AND most importantly... Pulling numbers out of my ass here... I was talking about items that are not just +#. Instead each nifty new descriptive item would have a set gold range for say +2, like 6000-8000. Then it would be a "+2 blade of Mikon" Instead of having +2 enchantment, it would have a Mikonish hand picked set of abilitys that are equivalent to +2 in cost, but different. Then this would have a Mikon based description. Then when a DM looks in the palatte after a quest with Pollio, he/she can say "Ooh, a +2 mikon sword. How about I give him that instead of the generic version."

Makeing tons of items specific to just one character would lead to the exact issue you just mentioned. Makeing avlis specific nifty items would add much needed flavor.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: madhatter » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:18 pm

I have yet to earn a single cookie with my new character. As a matter of fact, I doubt a dm has even seen him, or if they have, just chooses not to interact with him. I bet my rp has been less the impressive at times, so I cant say I blame ya guys.

As far as other characters. I have recieved a cookie or two ranging from 30-50 exp. Perfect for that sort of thing in my opinion. As far as quests go, well the only dm quest I was involved was cut short so I have no opinion there.

madhatter
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team