Server Totals
Mikona - (11)
Le'Or - (0)
Ferrell - (0)
Elysia - (0)
M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 11
Gallery
  • Forge of DruEl
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Brayon
    Uploaded: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:23 am

Links Menu

Awards for making DM quests or events

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:59 am

Reward guidelines for avlis were written up a while ago item wise. As far as I can tell the dm's ahve been folowing them, even a little stingy.

As for cookies. We are people not robots, there will be differences, though we all usually cookie in the 10-50 range. Above that and it turns from a cookie to an acutal reward. A line will get you a cookie. Good rp will get a bigger cookie. Overcoming an obstacle will get you a reward.
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM
 
Posts: 6682
Images: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:20 am
Location: Nippon

Re: Awards for making DM quests or events

PostAuthor: sinn » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:03 am

Uvatha wrote:I'm asking the team if they can change the way to award players for DM events. I mean, there are weekends that a player gots tons of xp for quests, but didn't receive any item according his level.

Consequence: I know some characters that have leveled up really fast for doing DM quests but still have the same gear of 4 levels before.

So, Can DMs give more items and less xp?


PS: this is just my point of view, maybe I'm wrong, maybe not :)


personaly my charater leveled to slow for the items he found...(found myself wanting to powergame so I could get to the next level to use a +2 weapon)

I say pump up the XP :) , arent we racing to level 40? , hehehe (little far behind with my level 7 guy) :lol:


COOKIE... I dont care what size they are... 10 30 50? I just enjoy RPing and it makes me happy to see somebody is watching (like I'm a movie star or something...haha!) 8)
you can run all your life, but not go anywhere.
User avatar
sinn
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: CA, USA (GMT - 8 hours)

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:33 am

I am also generous with cookies. I will almost alway use only 30 xp cookies no matter what, and generally I'll give them to anyone I see having any kind of IC conversation at the time I log on. If I happen to be sticking around watching people talk, I might give out a cookie for each good line I see. When people are fighting, I will also give out cookies for teamwork, i.e. strategy and tactics, because in a sense that takes some roleplaying, especially when you have one guy in the group that could cream all the enemies with one timestop, but doesn't.

One thing you should all know, never be offended because you DIDN'T get a cookie. If you get a negative cookie, then you did something wrong. But in all other respects, cookies have a random element. We give them for what we SEE, and there are a limited number of us. So the first thing that should run through your mind when you don't get cookied is, "Hmm...maybe a DM didn't see that."

Don't forget that we can zip between areas at the speed of light and often do that to try and watch mulitple parties simultaneously.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
User avatar
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder
 
Posts: 14936
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2001 9:48 pm
Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Morbid Ridicule » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:20 am

Well... it's about slower than the speed of light because of load times... but...
Can't sleep - Clowns will eat me.

Morbid Ridicule
Apprentice Scholar
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:38 pm
Location: Madison, WI, USA (GMT -5 or -6)

Re: Awards for making DM quests or events

PostAuthor: kombinat » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:22 am

Uvatha wrote:So, Can DMs give more items and less xp?



Vergilius wrote:
Orleron wrote:
2) DM given items. These are things that you get from doing a basic DM quest. They are always AT LEAST a +1, and often +2 or +3 weaponry/armor, or up to +5 resistance, +10 skill.




tindertwiggy wrote:Reward guidelines for avlis were written up a while ago item wise. As far as I can tell the dm's ahve been folowing them, even a little stingy.


I think this was the feedback the original poster was trying to give, that the item rewards were a little low, and the same reason that Vergilius bolded the section "basic DM quest"... not that the amount of items was too high and the guidelines weren't being followed, but that it was too low.
In the last 6 months I've received in total, from about 6 'basic' and 1 'major' DM quest with my main char:

Two longswords (+0/+1 vs. undead, +1 str)
One Hole Crystal (50 charges)

From a DM auction at the first Trade Fair:

Ring of clear thought +2. This is in a separate section because the bidding means it goes to whoever has the most gold to spend on it, usually a high level character unless it's a +2 Animal Empathy item and they all have better, and isn't related to an RP award... unless just being at the Trade Fair qualifies, which it might.

Everything else he has, has been bought at the Trade Fairs or are gifts/loans/purchases from other players, or are store-bought. It does say a lot about the generosity of his friends :) Thanks to all of you.

Maybe I've missed a whole lot of loot because I haven't looked in the bookshelves of the library, and it's my fault. But he hasn't anything above +2.

It might sound like I'm whinging, but that's not my intention.. on the contrary, I'm happy with the way he's equipped. More is better of course, but he's a wizard, and as such equipment, while important, isn't as important as it is for Fighter/Barbarian/Rogue classes. Maybe it's because DMs are focussing on giving the melee-based classes more equipment. Maybe it's my fault.. or maybe it's just feedback on my play style :roll:
My point is that he's equipped due to other players, not due to DMs. If that's the Team's intention, that items should trickle down as better items are given to the more advanced players, then play on.. just be aware only +2 items are trickling down to lvl 14 chars. Could be just luck.. I'm in a difficult timezone and my play times are erratic. Could be that this is the level of magic that Orleron envisages in the world. There could be a multitude of reasons behind it, and most of them would mean that everything is going as planned and nothing needs to change.

Other players may not have friends as generous, and not been able to make it to the Trade Fairs... if they've got the same item rate as my char, they won't be as well-equipped. It all depends on how equipped a character like Sand should be, and whether it should be coming from DMs or from crafters (his main weapon is an AAAA scythe) or trickling down.

P.S. On a side note, if it is my fault and the DMs have noticed it, a little feedback on how I can change play style would be appreciated... like "look in the bookshelves", and "don't push the guy carrying all the loot into lava", that'd be a good start :D Apart from those two, I get those two..

P.P.S. My other char, a rogue, did get a ring of protection +4 for being in the right place at the right time. That and gloves of strength +1, and a rapier +1, are her DM loot. She's definitely a lot better equipped than Sand, but that's thanks to Ayren and some other friends :)

P.P.P.S. Just realised this might also be feedback on the random item drops.. I've only found +1 amulets (protection, and natural armour) and ammunition when checking chests/remains with a lvl 14 char. He doesn't loot houses, so that cuts down a bit on the number of chests (and explains why he's usually so poor) he hits.
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 3365
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Sydney, Australia (GMT+10)
DM Avatar: Senath

Re: Awards for making DM quests or events

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:54 am

kombinat wrote:I think this was the feedback the original poster was trying to give, that the item rewards were a little low, and the same reason that Vergilius bolded the section "basic DM quest"... not that the amount of items was too high and the guidelines weren't being followed, but that it was too low.


Yes, I bolded that because I've been an active member of the community since May. I've read tons of posts about people complaining about items on this or that, so has the team. I've also read posts by Orl NUMBEROUS times stating the team's philosophy on giving out items. When I read Alex's initial post, it clicked off a Bell in my head and I went searching for one of these Orl posts. If I'd spent more time I might have found one a little more point blank, but that one was good enough.

Alexandru Stanicu wrote:Our general take is that items are given out at the end of long (multi session) quests.


If this is true, then it means there has been a change in the team's philosophy on giving out items sometime in the past few months, because everything I've read prior to that indicated that a single session of 3-4 hours of RP/problem solving/planning was worth Loot specifically tailored to your level.

So the big question now is, "Has the avlis policy on DM rewards changed in the past few months?" If so, can we have some details on why? If not, can Alex perhaps clarify or elaborate what he meant by his statement?


P.S.--I've tried to keep this very "question" oriented, but at what point does this need to be taken to the general discussion?

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 2:37 am
Location: Austin Texas, again
Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Guido » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:48 am

I cookie people for RP: 50 XP per 15 minutes, plus 50 XP for very nice situational RP, lise some sentence or emote

Quest XP for finishing: somewhere between 100-500 per hour given at the end of quest (depends on the scale), but I think I will start giving the XP at the end of "Chapters" of each story so people dont get nothing if they have to go early or get evrything becouse they joined at the end
User avatar
Guido
Scholar of Fools
 
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:32 pm
Location: Poland (GMT +1)

PostAuthor: Dirk Cutlass » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:49 am

Alexandru Stanicu wrote:Our general take is that items are given out at the end of long (multi session) quests.


Unfortunately, this means that for many players who are on sporadically, or at unfortunate times, or for limited periods... etc. They often miss out on the final session and therefore an rewards.

Kudos to those DMs that take notes of people that took part (but were not actually at the last big event), and reward later. This is good, and makes it seem worthwhile. More of this please.

On an ironic note, the only DM quest ireward tems that I have ever received (well over 9 months ago now) were for a wrap-up session of a plot that I had absolutely nothing to do with (just happened to be on at the right time)! LOL. I felt quite bad about this at the time, but since I have had nothing since then, I guess I lift my head again ;)


Oh, also I enjoy the cookies too, and have received many. I often find that DMs like jokes or other funnies, so slipping in a few of these is good. Plus I've also been cookied for mundane things like moving to get out of the rain (with an appriate emoted line). I once cooked (and consumed) an entire meal outside, and was crying out for a DM to notice me (well worthy of a cookie) ... but none did. Maybe next time eh? ;)
User avatar
Dirk Cutlass
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:42 am
Location: GMT

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:55 am

The policy has not changed. It's like twiggs said, it depends on the DM, and some of us are stingy.

I'm one of the stingy ones. In fact, I'd go so far as to wager I'm the stingiest. Let's go back to kombinat's example, where the PC has gotten most of his items from other players or loot drops. You've all seen the guidelines. If I see a PC at mid-level up to the gills in items appropriate for his level, I think to myself, "What does this PC want?" Does he want another item that is totally redundant, one he'd probably just sell? If I see a mid-level character decked out in +3 gear and we've just finished a one-day DM session, does he really want the +2 item I'm going to give him? Is he just going to laugh behind my back and sell it? I'm not going to match your +3 gear in this case, because the guidelines are clear and I try to follow them strictly, especially now that CoPaP is blossoming and so many people like to hop on the "such-and-such server gives out phat loot! CoPaP is doomed!" bandwagon.

For me in such situations I forego the item and give more XP. Items come and go, but XP is forever (unless you die a lot ;) ).

The other thing I tried to do, which I mentioned in my first post in this thread, is make sure the rewards make IC sense. If you fight a bunch of monks, you're probably going to get magic shuriken and kamas. Can't use them? Be creative - trade them, sell them, or learn to use them.

Is my logic flawed here? Let me know, and I'll do my best to adjust. Would you rather see more items - even if they might be useless to you - or more XP?

PS - a final thing that contributes to my stinginess: time. I usually have a 3-hr window to DM a session. I hate going ooc on the players, so I never tell them something like "we got ten minutes left." Instead I try to have the session conclude at a natural pace. I've got XP awards hotkeyed so the first thing that is sacrificed is handing out item rewards, because finding and handing out appropriate items takes a lot more time than you might imagine. So I sometimes forego them and bump up the XP (then hurry my butt to work so I don't get fired).
User avatar
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3
 
Posts: 8014
Images: 3
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 12:33 pm
Location: California
Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:47 am

Deider wrote:You've all seen the guidelines. If I see a PC at mid-level up to the gills in items appropriate for his level, I think to myself, "What does this PC want?" Does he want another item that is totally redundant, one he'd probably just sell? If I see a mid-level character decked out in +3 gear and we've just finished a one-day DM session, does he really want the +2 item I'm going to give him? Is he just going to laugh behind my back and sell it? I'm not going to match your +3 gear in this case, because the guidelines are clear and I try to follow them strictly, especially now that CoPaP is blossoming and so many people like to hop on the "such-and-such server gives out phat loot! CoPaP is doomed!" bandwagon.

For me in such situations I forego the item and give more XP. Items come and go, but XP is forever (unless you die a lot ;) ).

The other thing I tried to do, which I mentioned in my first post in this thread, is make sure the rewards make IC sense. If you fight a bunch of monks, you're probably going to get magic shuriken and kamas. Can't use them? Be creative - trade them, sell them, or learn to use them.

Is my logic flawed here? Let me know, and I'll do my best to adjust. Would you rather see more items - even if they might be useless to you - or more XP?


Thanks for the Info Dieder. I'm not really fit to judge your quests because I've only been in a few, but I will say this. You claim to be stingy. I"ve had 4 sessions with you. ((not counting fairs or pure RP events you've done)): A side-event detour on the Golem quest, Golem quest Finalle, 2 very minor episodes in the gentleman quest. You were rather generous to me I thought. Maybe thats me, but compared to what I've gotten from others, you rank among the generous in my book.


I agree totally with a lot of your statements and reasoning and I think the vast majority of the players would too. Rewards should make IC sense and none of us would have any problem with that, not in the least. Of course, handing out something someone cannot use even promotes RP as bartering is part of RP. Maybe the vast majority of people you get in the quests are decked out like this, I'm not sure, but my experience is that the vast majority of Avlissians are not. My bit of feedback on this is something is better than nothing.

People also don't generally find a problem with "if its IC that nothing should be here, then nothing is here".

Futher feedback: Deider, you are one of the absolute best distributing rewards. from what I can tell, you open a players inventory, give it a good thorough looking, and try to improve their equipment.

I think Kombinant's example is the exception rather than the norm, look at what Kombinant described about the +2 loot that is trickling down to his own 14th level character.

So to get back to the point of the boards: Questions, you posed a question:

This might very well be player dependant. A lot of stellar RPers that are well-deckd out would be happy to get a bigger cookie. A lot of equally stellar RPers would be happy to have a redundant item. But personally, I think the person who is stacked with +3 items all through their inventory has to be the exception rather than the norm, or maybe you are gettting the longterm hardcore players who are stacked out because of their near year of stellar RP. I'm not sure, but I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of people are stacked with +3 gear with no room for any upgrade. But if they are, then they really don't have a right to complain as the articles of CoPaP are very clear on the matter.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 2:37 am
Location: Austin Texas, again
Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Cath » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:56 am

I think Kombinant's example is the exception rather than the norm, look at what Kombinant described about the +2 loot that is trickling down to his own 14th level character.

I don't think so.
I have more or less the same experience.
Nothing better than +2 for my 13th level char and all that except two things were given to me by other players, or something I bought from other players.
I have a few things on loan too.
The bow was a DM thing but I still had to pay for it even if the price was fantastic.
The harp I got I can't even use yet...but I'm getting there.

At 13th I still fight with shocking blades made by Ayren - thank the gods there is 4A...
I have an AC of 22...
Is that normal? Or at least representative for the community?

*edit: just to clarify...I don't suffer from lack of cookies.
Those I get often enough to feel encouraged to RP my best.
It's just the gear I am wondering about.
Last edited by Cath on Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Cath
Scholar
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:33 am
Location: Blattnicksele, Sweden (GMT +1)

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:06 am

Vergilius wrote:I think Kombinant's example is the exception rather than the norm, look at what Kombinant described about the +2 loot that is trickling down to his own 14th level character.

So to get back to the point of the boards: Questions, you posed a question:

This might very well be player dependant. A lot of stellar RPers that are well-deckd out would be happy to get a bigger cookie. A lot of equally stellar RPers would be happy to have a redundant item. But personally, I think the person who is stacked with +3 items all through their inventory has to be the exception rather than the norm, or maybe you are gettting the longterm hardcore players who are stacked out because of their near year of stellar RP. I'm not sure, but I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of people are stacked with +3 gear with no room for any upgrade. But if they are, then they really don't have a right to complain as the articles of CoPaP are very clear on the matter.


I think it's in part server-dependent. I'm in the Wilderness 90% of the time, and at least when I'm logged on there I rarely see anyone lower than 5th level. And to reply to the sentence I bolded, you'd be surprised what I've seen on characters. Items trickle down. People make good trades, they get gifts from mentors/guild members, they reap great treasures from other worlds. Nothing wrong with doing any of those - everyone wants the best gear they can get for their PC.

Anyway, I guess this question is more than answered :D
User avatar
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3
 
Posts: 8014
Images: 3
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 12:33 pm
Location: California
Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: White-Raven » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:19 am

Should be interesting hear what other DMs in other CoPap worlds give out? Have heard latley of pretty high items, like +5 rings/amulets etc for hard Dmed events in some worlds.. I have sent a message to the owner of that world about that.

White-Raven
Elder Sage
 
Posts: 3660
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:36 am
Location: Sweden
Timezone: CET

Re: Awards for making DM quests or events

PostAuthor: kombinat » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:41 am

kombinat wrote:In the last 6 months I've received in total, from about 6 'basic' and 1 'major' DM quest with my main char:


I'd like to add another clarification here.. every one of those DM quests, from the 5 minute one to the 3 month one, have been memorable and a lot of fun, and I've not been the least bit disappointed in them, loot or no. Only one was loot-oriented (and hence the swords), none of the others really had an IC reason for there to be any loot at the end (except maybe for some melted slag in one :) ). So rather than "can the DMs give out more loot", maybe "can we have more loot-oriented quests" would be a better way of presenting the original request? Which would indicate to me it should go in this thread instead....

http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?t=24634

One of the additional reasons I suspect DM-loot isn't so common is that:
a) It generally has to be given out at the end, conflicting with the progressional "chapter" based XP that people have just been asking for, and only those there at the end get all of the loot.. if extras are there for others who played a part, expect someone is going to pocket it rather than hunt the person down, if they even know it was meant for them.. some people are jerks, some are just ignorant of the DMs intentions
b) It's extremely hard to give a group of more than 2-3 players a set of items that will leave everyone happy, and no-one feeling gypped, especially when they're placed in a pile.. it took over an hour to hand out the items at the end of the one quest Satin wandered into!

Satin was asked by the Instructor of the Way what she wanted at one point from their armoury, and that's when she got the gloves of +1 str... that made me way happier than nearly any equivalent item, I'd been hoping for something like that for 2 months at that point. Being asked was so nice :) I expect that would only work for low-level rewards though (+1/+2 stuff), at high levels the equipment given out should be what the team want to see in use in Avlis, rather than what the player has been pining for. I'd take Boots of Speed over anything, given the option :)

I can see the need for caution with CoPaP growing into adolescence.. I bet the Team have discussed this to death several times over. Yes we players haven't a clue about what is happening behind the scenes.. so we are going to use Raise Dead on some equine corpses for further pugilistic activities ;)
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

kombinat
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 3365
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Sydney, Australia (GMT+10)
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:19 pm

I tend to watch for good RP and cookie appropriately. This is not necessarily in XP, as I said above.

For example, on one occasion I was watching some players who were resting before moving into harm's way in the next area. One of them said something about being hungry - i.e. he was emoting the reason that they were resting.

I provided them with some cookies and ale.

So in this case, good RP gained them some cookies - just the cookies were not XP :wink:
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P


Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Image
User avatar
Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM
 
Posts: 23988
Images: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:32 pm
Location: The Home of the Bard of Avon
Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:00 pm

Good answers by the team. I will take a step back and give a broader answer for you.

Guidelines for DM rewards were laid down, and they are very clear, as Verg noticed. However, they are only *guidelines* which are open to interpretation, and that means you will get a lot of personal DM variation.

One of my jobs is to see that no DM oversteps these guidelines, and if you can believe it, it takes some time for me and other senior team members to attend to cases of DM's on Avlis or other CoPaP worlds giving out illegally. Therefore, when a DM is too stingy and giving out too little, we really don't worry about that and just let them do it, because that's something that won't exactly mess up the playerbase like the other things will.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
User avatar
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder
 
Posts: 14936
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2001 9:48 pm
Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:12 pm

Perspective from the sides

The only thing that has ever erked me in quests is people suddenly appearing from the sides at the end of a quest trying to grab loot or rewards.

But I cant comment on how the dm has handled that on the other side of the fence.

All in all have earned one mid range (+3) item for a 3 month quest and lots of minor things. But one thing I did like was a little piece of personalisation that was done specifically relative to my main character, the addition relating to his knickname.

I would like to see more of this rather than another item given out examples being:

a gorethan 'kunigit's' helm gaining a god given property, say boosting his protection against evil

a rougues cloak gaining comaflage properties, helping his hide skill

or a 'seemstress's' boots helping concentration, by becoming more comforable 8)

so the equipment develops with the character and reflects the way they are roleplayed. This will also stop the charge to the chest mentallity some people have who then say 'nothing there' after pocketing the contents.

The DM rewards I have always found great, except for the tight ass gnome dieder :P
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
User avatar
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor
 
Posts: 4985
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:12 am
Location: At AGM of Whiners Inc.

PostAuthor: Melakin Skywieder » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:54 pm

The DM rewards I have always found great, except for the tight ass gnome dieder


Hey leave him alone!

After all he's responsible for Melakin's Helm...and many of you got that :lol:
If money it the root of all evil, I want to be a bad man!

Melakin Skywieder
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 6175
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:25 pm
Location: Over the hill

PostAuthor: Vanor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:21 pm

Vergilius wrote:For me in such situations I forego the item and give more XP. Items come and go, but XP is forever (unless you die a lot ;) ).

I on the other hand, take the other approach. XP can be gained anywhere, without the help of a DM. Anyone can go somewhere and kill enough NPC's to make up the 200-500 exp I didn't give them, in lew of the +2 long sword I did. However there's no where they can go to get that +2 long sword.

I take an approach simular to Alex, but in smaller doses. What I tend to give is a sort of small reward at the end of a quest say 200exp/hour, but give 25-50exp's every 4th encounter. The end result is about the same, but people who miss out on the end miss out on less exp's then if I gave 1000 exp at the end, and nothing in the middle.

I also follow the trickle down method of gear. Espeically if the party has a fair amount of nice gear already. Remember, there's no static spawns of +2 gear, or any place you can buy such an item. So if you have +2 or better items, it came from a DM at some point.
User avatar
Vanor
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 8386
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:46 pm
Location: Wisconsin (GMT -5)

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:08 pm

Vichan Lyonsen wrote:On the other hand..a 2nd level player today was approached by two elder air elementals and a dire wolf on the road into Elysia from the wilderness, and it didnt excite anything more than a "hmmmmm" from him...this person went cookieless...


Yes, that was a rather "cool" reaction... :lol:

However i must say i get some really IC reactions every now and then. I remember A frisky halfling girl startling and starting to shoot at me. I just waved lazily and proceeded, avoiding getting her into a fight, but a screen away i complemented her on not using the name-tag as a sign it's allright. Merryweather i think her name was.

By the way, it was one elder, one greater... :P :wink:

M.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.


Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
User avatar
Khaelindra
Contributor
 
Posts: 7007
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:02 pm
Location: Almere, the Netherlands(GMT+1, GMT+2 in summer)
Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: choraldances » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:11 pm

Like I said above,

I've been doing this all the time when I DM. Players don't look for them. They expect a "Chest" with goodies. That's not how I work. I hide them in remains of foes that they fought.

Tell you the truth, there has been about 4 or 5 times stuff that was lost due to server reset or item cleanup script than items picked up by PC's simply because the PC's were too lazy or just simply don't want to look into the remains of the monsters I spawned.

Look, I go by the guidelines, but if I hide a +3 armor in one of the giants that I spawned, and it's not picked up, too bad, I am waiting until the next time that I am "guided" to put another one in.

+1 and +2's are more often.
User avatar
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3
 
Posts: 13707
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:36 pm
Location: Stuck in what feels like Arborea GMT -7

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:27 pm

Deider wrote:I'm one of the stingy ones. In fact, I'd go so far as to wager I'm the stingiest.


I'd wager you're not. I've seen a lot of discussion about how useless slings are compared to bows, and plenty suggestions on how this could be bettered, but you are the only DM i know of (=AFAIK) that gave out a +2 sling to a true-to-her-weapon-oath druid, and matching bullets to boot. In fact i've never seen another +2 sling in Avlis up to today...

Deider wrote:If I see a PC at mid-level up to the gills in items appropriate for his level, I think to myself, "What does this PC want?" Does he want another item that is totally redundant, one he'd probably just sell? If I see a mid-level character decked out in +3 gear and we've just finished a one-day DM session, does he really want the +2 item I'm going to give him?


See above, i was very pleased with the sling. Sure it's still a lousy weapon on the whole when compared with my +3 club backed up by 20 STR, but that's not the point. It complemented my equipment without "outdoing" it.

One nit about the "Hole Crystal": a special end-item with charges isn't what i'd call a "durable" memory. Unless you don't use it, in which case it's just a bauble.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.


Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
User avatar
Khaelindra
Contributor
 
Posts: 7007
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:02 pm
Location: Almere, the Netherlands(GMT+1, GMT+2 in summer)
Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:41 pm

White-Raven wrote:Should be interesting hear what other DMs in other CoPap worlds give out? Have heard latley of pretty high items, like +5 rings/amulets etc for hard Dmed events in some worlds.. I have sent a message to the owner of that world about that.


All worlds grow, and maybe they give out a bit more to draw players as well as DM's who try to give neat loot. The event i was in saturday saw a lvl 7 character walk away after division with a +3 bow, a greater adventurer robe and some other stuff. My level 20 character sort of got the leftovers and still had a ring/prot+2 and a ring/clear thought +3.

To be honest, i did like getting something for a normal DM-session. In all of 20-odd DM-events that were non-final happenings, i received a total of 1 amulet of wisdom +2 (at lvl 5) and Deider's sling+2 (at lvl 20). Oh, and a helm of doom(3/day 1st level), also at lvl 20, which i gave to a starter.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.


Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
User avatar
Khaelindra
Contributor
 
Posts: 7007
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:02 pm
Location: Almere, the Netherlands(GMT+1, GMT+2 in summer)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Awards for making DM quests or events

PostAuthor: Khaelindra » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:45 pm

kombinat wrote:a) It generally has to be given out at the end, conflicting with the progressional "chapter" based XP that people have just been asking for, and only those there at the end get all of the loot.. if extras are there for others who played a part, expect someone is going to pocket it rather than hunt the person down, if they even know it was meant for them..


This can be handled IC'ly of course. Even a certain priestess of Forian saved part of the found treasure for some players that had played a big part but had to leave early last saturday.
Lady Divinia Cecil, Combat Medic; Frederique Moriana, Dragon Avalanche; Amber, redhead Bandit Mascotte; Khaelindra, Mystic Archer

AbominationFascination: "Powergaming without RP is masturbatory and RP without combat and growth is fluffy poseurism."

Gary Gygax wrote:
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved.


Everybody Loves Paula (tm)
User avatar
Khaelindra
Contributor
 
Posts: 7007
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 3:02 pm
Location: Almere, the Netherlands(GMT+1, GMT+2 in summer)
Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:47 pm

Cath wrote:
I think Kombinant's example is the exception rather than the norm, look at what Kombinant described about the +2 loot that is trickling down to his own 14th level character.

I don't think so.
I have more or less the same experience.
Nothing better than +2 for my 13th level char and all that except two things were given to me by other players, or something I bought from other players.
I have a few things on loan too.
The bow was a DM thing but I still had to pay for it even if the price was fantastic.
The harp I got I can't even use yet...but I'm getting there.


Clarification: By Kombinant's example, I meant the one he gave in regard to the person stacked with +3 items. I was trying to divert attention to the fact that HIS OWN case was more normal. I'd say your case is normal too.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 2:37 am
Location: Austin Texas, again
Timezone: US Central

PreviousNext

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team

Who is online

Registered users: Angel of Death