Ferrell - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Total players: 8
Gallery

Links Menu

Awards for making DM quests or events

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Awards for making DM quests or events

PostAuthor: Uvatha » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:15 pm

I'm asking the team if they can change the way to award players for DM events. I mean, there are weekends that a player gots tons of xp for quests, but didn't receive any item according his level.

Consequence: I know some characters that have leveled up really fast for doing DM quests but still have the same gear of 4 levels before.

So, Can DMs give more items and less xp?

PS: this is just my point of view, maybe I'm wrong, maybe not :)
"The destiny of every person is already written. Every decision, even little, is a piece of a pre-arranged drawing."
Uvatha
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Fifty » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:28 pm

My experience is generaly that I don't get much XP for DM stuff actually.

Typically I actually die lots of times and lose XP when people raise me!

(Not that I mind. In my opinion death should be punishment.
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:12 pm

I usually give only XP - mainly for good Roleplay.
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:15 pm

Our general take is that items are given out at the end of long (multi session) quests.

As to the leaving DM events with less exp than when you started, the DM's are aware that this can happen and we are looking how to prevent this.
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:17 pm

Nighthawk4 wrote:I usually give only XP - mainly for good Roleplay.

Something I've always wondered, ok a few things. You are running around watching people RP, on what basis do you decide this person gets, 10, 30, 50, more xp cookie? I know cookies are of different sizes between team members, but is there any "guide" on the DM boards that says, cookies should be of X size for this, Y size for that, etc. Yeah yeah, I know you are all probably just usually evaluative judgement, but I was curious what thoughts are going through your mind when you make a decision?

Edit: it would be helpful if multiple DMs could respond.

Vergilius
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: US Central

PostAuthor: Daerthe » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:19 pm

Verg this is a good question...I have gotten a couple cookies that I thought were mistakes, like gold instead of XP...what are you supposed to do about that?

Daerthe
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:27 pm

Good question. Cookies do not have specific rules ie "If the PC says X then you give a cookie of size Y".
As with many things we do, we have guidelines and leave the details up to each DM.
We tend to look for players interacting IC, and then apply cookies. Some of us watch a bit then cookie, some of us do it right away and move on.

Also I know that I have started to give out incramental exp durring events. What I mean by this is that I give out a portion of the total exp that an event will be worth, as players complete a section of it. This means that instead of getting one lump of say 2000, you might get 500 four times. I have started doing thing for several reasons, one of wich is that many times for RL reasons, players have to drop before the end of a event, and by doing so get no exp. Giving it in smaller bites allows someone that has to leave to get exp for what they have finished.
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:27 pm

If you get a cookie, it is not a mistake.

They can be XP, Gold or something else. Sometimes they will be a holy relic, even real cookies (chocolate chip).

Please do not Roleplay with the hope of 'earning' a cookie - this is usually obvious and does not get the result you hope for.

Just Roleplay - stay in character - and you will be rewarded - but not necessarily with XP.
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:33 pm

Alexandru Stanicu wrote:Also I know that I have started to give out incramental exp durring events. What I mean by this is that I give out a portion of the total exp that an event will be worth, as players complete a section of it. This means that instead of getting one lump of say 2000, you might get 500 four times. I have started doing thing for several reasons, one of wich is that many times for RL reasons, players have to drop before the end of a event, and by doing so get no exp. Giving it in smaller bites allows someone that has to leave to get exp for what they have finished.

I really like this. Last night was a DM event and, right after I came back from the death plane, saw what time it was and had to log. I had gotten a couple of these "increment cookies" and it made logging and getting some sleep before having to wake up early the next morning less painful.
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: Lycanthropy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:13 pm

As a general rule, my personal cookie-ings go from 10 for a particularly nice line, to thirty for 'solid' RP, 50 for 'good' RP, and upwards of that for 'brilliant' RP/quest completion. Sorry if that's a little bit vague, but *I'm* a little bit vague. :wink: These are just my personal standards, others have their own, as this thread proves.

As a general rule... keep up the RP, and if a DM sees it, you'll most likely be rewarded.

-Lyc.
Silver Fox - "it's like Friedrich Nietzche started doing steroids and drag."

Lycanthropy

Timezone: GMT-6
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Fifty » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:37 pm

Alexandru Stanicu wrote:Good question. Cookies do not have specific rules ie "If the PC says X then you give a cookie of size Y".
As with many things we do, we have guidelines and leave the details up to each DM.
We tend to look for players interacting IC, and then apply cookies. Some of us watch a bit then cookie, some of us do it right away and move on.

Also I know that I have started to give out incramental exp durring events. What I mean by this is that I give out a portion of the total exp that an event will be worth, as players complete a section of it. This means that instead of getting one lump of say 2000, you might get 500 four times. I have started doing thing for several reasons, one of wich is that many times for RL reasons, players have to drop before the end of a event, and by doing so get no exp. Giving it in smaller bites allows someone that has to leave to get exp for what they have finished.

2000 XP?!?!

I ONCE had a hit of 500 XP and thought I was in XP heaven! Other than that it is 50XP max or multiples of maybe 3 or 4 lots of 30 XP in a half hour.

I even thought maybe the 500XP was a mistake!
Fifty
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Garand » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:48 pm

I took place in one of these Increment XP things and i have to say ... it was REALLY nice ...

1) It allowed me the freedom to go away if I really really had to (because I wouldn't really really want to)

2) It gave me the sense of "chapters" to the event ... however sometimes i got the cookies mid battle ... which was neat in itself.
Garand
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Daerthe » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:50 pm

Fifty wrote:2000 XP?!?!

I ONCE had a hit of 500 XP and thought I was in XP heaven! Other than that it is 50XP max or multiples of maybe 3 or 4 lots of 30 XP in a half hour.

I even thought maybe the 500XP was a mistake!

Large chunks of XP like this are not something I have seen until recently...I walked into the tale end of an event and earned several cookies worth about 700 or 800 XP...Apparently I did something really good that I'm not aware of...

And I had never gotten a gold cookie before a couple nights ago, so I was a little confused. I didn't want to take something I didn't earn just because I joined at the end of something. But if you feel I earned it I am not going to complain! :lol: Thanks for clearing it up.

Daerthe
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:19 am

Vergilius wrote:Something I've always wondered, ok a few things. You are running around watching people RP, on what basis do you decide this person gets, 10, 30, 50, more xp cookie? I know cookies are of different sizes between team members, but is there any "guide" on the DM boards that says, cookies should be of X size for this, Y size for that, etc. Yeah yeah, I know you are all probably just usually evaluative judgement, but I was curious what thoughts are going through your mind when you make a decision?

Edit: it would be helpful if multiple DMs could respond.

A good question Verg....

As a general rule of thumb...and this is just me...and a few others based on conversations and threads I have read. When I log in as DM the first thing I do is look for groups (i.e. people on the same map).

If they are talking I hang out for awhile...i love all the salacious info I can get....(JK)...if everyone stays IC...its a 30xp cookie all around...I'm then off to another group....after all groups are exhausted. I stop and look at individuals. Sometimes just to see if I need to spawn some fun (like a city guard for a burglar etc..)or for example a crafting character who was having a nice conversation with himself....

If I am not planning anything for that night....back to looking for groups...I try to hit the same order as before...cookies vary the second time around. Also really good lines that make me laugh will get an extra cookie of just about any amount up to 50...superior rp is worth 50.

I cookied a player at a EDGE meeting who was standing there stealthed until the meeting started...nobody knew...they all roleplayed being startled quite well...

On the other hand..a 2nd level player today was approached by two elder air elementals and a dire wolf on the road into Elysia from the wilderness, and it didnt excite anything more than a "hmmmmm" from him...this person went cookieless...I deduct for ooc comments like (ooc: man that was great what was that thing it was biotchin i got 90 xp)....i do not for (ooc: afk...or other short quips)

Hope it helps....
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:28 am

Nighthawk4 wrote:If you get a cookie, it is not a mistake.

They can be XP, Gold or something else. Sometimes they will be a holy relic, even real cookies (chocolate chip).

Please do not Roleplay with the hope of 'earning' a cookie - this is usually obvious and does not get the result you hope for.

Just Roleplay - stay in character - and you will be rewarded - but not necessarily with XP.

nice info and all, but still doesn't answer the question.

Vergilius

PostAuthor: choraldances » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:34 am

I've upped my cookieing frequencies.

And with mage order events, even if no monster was defeated, there are still xp rewards at the end.

As far as items are concern, it's there, a lot of times, pc's are too lazy to pick them up. It's in "remains"

Oh, just to tell you Ebony people, there was a nice ring of clear thought in one of the bookshelves that you missed in your event.

Remember, do what you would do ICly, you will get rewarded. Don't be lazy, reward goes to those who look.
choraldances
Uber Posting Whor3

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:39 am

I think most of the responses are pretty good. I really asked the question because I see a HUGE difference in DMs. And I think its clear from the post. Some of the players were absolutely shocked when Alex mentioned a 2000xp cookie. Obviously there will always be differences as each and every person is a unique individual, but is it possible to remedy a huge diference?

Vergilius

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:40 am

Daerthe wrote:Verg this is a good question...I have gotten a couple cookies that I thought were mistakes, like gold instead of XP...what are you supposed to do about that?

Well, I've never cookied Gold...nor have I ever recieved a golden cookie...sounds interesting, could be worth using in the future..perhaps turn it right around into an RP thing by emoting...

*reaches into her hip pouch and finds a pouch of gold she was sure she had lost a week before*

Happens to me in RL all the time...though its rarely gold, usually just quarters :P

a good emote at that time might deserve a small xp cookie for cleverness. I love cleverness and humor in game....make me laugh...get a cookie....its not a motto, but its getting there

I think most of the responses are pretty good. I really asked the question because I see a HUGE difference in DMs. And I think its clear from the post. Some of the players were absolutely shocked when Alex mentioned a 2000xp cookie. Obviously there will always be differences as each and every person is a unique individual, but is it possible to remedy a huge diference?

Well Verg, Its clear Alex was mentioning a 2000 xp cookie at the end of a rather protracted DM plotline, and not a single night event...least thats the way I read it, though the participants in the penultimate event (i.e. the end of the plotline) are likely to see large cookies like this, those of the previous building nights probably wont.

I dont think there is as huge a gap when it comes to simple RP cookies, maybe as much as 10 point high or low...I think that the general average is around 25-30 for RP. but you were right in your first comment, it is very much based on personal judgement of the DM at the time. For example, I wont cookie a player a full 30 if his sole contribution to the conversation has been a few "hmmms" and a grunt now and again, on the other hand they may not have anything to add, so in this case they get a participating cookie of around 20 to 25 from me....again my personal thoughts only dont read anything into it.
Last edited by Vichan Lyonsen on Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:45 am

2000xp cookie

Umm thats not a cookie, that is the total for a plot/event. (as in end of the adventure exp)
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:51 am

Totally honest answer:

I play it by ear.

I don't give out a lot of item rewards. Sometimes the situation dictates that there would be no items given. Yeah you just beat that fire elemental - somehow inside his flames of sun-like heat he was hiding a +2 sword? I don't think so.

But I've started giving more XP lately. My range of cookies is 50 for good RP to 2000, for the completion of a major quest. I've also started to reward people with crafting XP, and more recently by activating a PrC for them.

You'll see more item rewards from me in the future. They may not be items you want, but you'll see them :)
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:53 am

Alexandru Stanicu wrote:
2000xp cookie

Umm thats not a cookie, that is the total for a plot/event. (as in end of the adventure exp)

end of adventure plot/event cookies vary widely as well

Vergilius

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:16 am

Vichan Lyonsen wrote:I dont think there is as huge a gap when it comes to simple RP cookies, maybe as much as 10 point high or low...I think that the general average is around 25-30 for RP. but you were right in your first comment, it is very much based on personal judgement of the DM at the time. For example, I wont cookie a player a full 30 if his sole contribution to the conversation has been a few "hmmms" and a grunt now and again, on the other hand they may not have anything to add, so in this case they get a participating cookie of around 20 to 25 from me....again my personal thoughts only dont read anything into it.

ok, I would like to use DM cookies as a kind of player feedback for how I"m doing. Is this possible? Is this right?

thats partially why I ask. Most of the time that I get a 30 or a 50, I really don't so a big difference in how I've been RPing. Then there are the times I've gotten nothing and wondered, "Did I just suck there?" I know that sitting behind the DM controls can be too hectic and its easy to lose track of things. Do I chalk it up every time to DM got too busy to cookie people in an RP event? DMs like feedback on how their events are received, I like feedback on my RP.

Vergilius

PostAuthor: jadeia » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:18 am

Jad's Cookie Recipe:

RP'ing your character: 50 xp a pop

Overcoming something without necessarily bashing it: 50 xp a pop

Finishing a Quest: Usually 200 ~ 500 an hour, but really really depends on how you played. If you rp'd the whole time, Ive been known to drop several thousand XP (or enough for a lowby to advance one level) at the end of a great session.
jadeia
Elder Sage

PostAuthor: CuRoi » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:24 am

I tend to be more liberal in terms of RP awards.

It?s not unheard of for a PC (or group of PC?s) to gain between 300-500xp an hour from me for intelligent RP.
CuRoi
Apprentice Scholar

Re: Awards for making DM quests or events

PostAuthor: Vergilius » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:48 am

Uvatha wrote:I'm asking the team if they can change the way to award players for DM events. I mean, there are weekends that a player gots tons of xp for quests, but didn't receive any item according his level.

Consequence: I know some characters that have leveled up really fast for doing DM quests but still have the same gear of 4 levels before.

Two things might help: From Orl in the last thread I found.

Orleron wrote:
2) DM given items. These are things that you get from doing a basic DM quest. They are always AT LEAST a +1, and often +2 or +3 weaponry/armor, or up to +5 resistance, +10 skill.

3) Uber items. These are things that you get from starring in a plotline or being part of a very long story. Here is where you have your boots of speed, your greater belts, your named weapons, and other stuff. Quests like these don't happen more than a few times a year.

Link to the rewards chart in the articles of CoPaP:

http://www.copap.org/articles/reward_chart.html

The articles are again "guidelines" but like xp cookies, DMs vary in how they interpret them or apply them.

Vergilius

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team