Visimontium - (0)
Ferrell - (0)
Le'Or - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Total players: 8
Gallery

Links Menu

Wilderness Server

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

PostAuthor: Sarrena » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:13 pm

only question on my mind, the wilderness. That servers always getting hammered the hardest. Any future plans for a possible split to lighten up on the poor machine :)
Sarrena
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: -7
DM Avatar: Berryn

PostAuthor: Sparrowhawk » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:17 pm

Sarrena wrote:only question on my mind, the wilderness. That servers always getting hammered the hardest. Any future plans for a possible split to lighten up on the poor machine :)

Like putting underdark on it's own server? :shock:
My Site - My Forum - Stop by and loiter.
Sparrowhawk
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:42 pm

Or the war zone......
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: marauder » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:19 pm

Currently Mikona and the Wilderness share the same machine. It is a dual processor, so it can handle two mods.

There are talks right now about perhaps changing which mod shares the machine with the wilderness or putting the wilderness on its own machine.

Right now we have not made a final decision but we are talking about it.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
marauder
Scholar

PostAuthor: Alexandru Stanicu » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:32 pm

I hope that we are able to put each mod on its own computer soon.
We have discussed splitting the Wilderness in to two mods, but at this time that would make things worse not better.

This is a good place to remind you guys that your donations are responsible for procuring more hardware for Avlis, as well as for paying the basic bills (Bussiness Class Connection, power etc).
Another way that you can help is to join the Fanfiction site, not only do you get to help us, but you get to read the cool stuff that Avlis players have written.
Alexandru Stanicu
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: The Hammer

PostAuthor: Uvatha » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:04 pm

Once I joined the FanFiction site, but I was a bit dissapointed, as I only find very few texts and I don't have enough english level send anything to that site.

I preffer to donate directly via paypal some money every month (about 4 euro, more or less) to help the team getting better machines or connection.

/me dreams about wilderness running in a T3 connection...
"The destiny of every person is already written. Every decision, even little, is a piece of a pre-arranged drawing."
Uvatha
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: marauder » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:06 pm

I am not sure more bandwidth would help anything. As I understand it we dont hit the max of out current bandwidth limit and it is really the machines or the mods that cause the lag noticed.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle
marauder
Scholar

PostAuthor: maelwydd » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:06 pm

Kind of an aside here...

If someone were to donate wither a used machine or new one, what kind of specifications do they have to be?

Not saying I can but there may be a chance I could donate one of my old machines or even my current machine when I upgrade soon.
maelwydd
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: KinX » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:13 am

maelwydd wrote:Kind of an aside here...

If someone were to donate wither a used machine or new one, what kind of specifications do they have to be?

Not saying I can but there may be a chance I could donate one of my old machines or even my current machine when I upgrade soon.

i assume any machine that can comfortably run NWN would be a good one
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This statement is false
KinX
Elder Sage

Timezone: GMT +1

PostAuthor: tindertwiggy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:52 am

The vid card does not matter as dedicated servers are run through a console. It really depends on the size of the mod, but I seem to remember one thing Orl and silk insist on is a 100 mbit 3com lan card. If I wanted to buy a server for avlis I'd look at getting a 2 ghz machine (most likely athlon for price) with a gig of ram. That would run a server pretty well says my "never ran a dedicated server for more than 5 minutes" opinion.
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

PostAuthor: CuRoi » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:36 am

tindertwiggy wrote:The vid card does not matter as dedicated servers are run through a console. It really depends on the size of the mod, but I seem to remember one thing Orl and silk insist on is a 100 mbit 3com lan card. If I wanted to buy a server for avlis I'd look at getting a 2 ghz machine (most likely athlon for price) with a gig of ram. That would run a server pretty well says my "never ran a dedicated server for more than 5 minutes" opinion.

Those system specs are about as close to perfect as you can get.
CuRoi
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Orleron » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:36 am

Yep, CuRoi is right. A server machine should be 2+ GHZ with a Gig of ram, ideally.

Wilderness will not be split into separate mods, but it will eventually get its own machine, as will all the other mods.

I am beating Silk over the head to get together with me so we can move the servers and buy the new machines. The limiting factor right now is time.
"Truth has no form."
--Idries Shah

World of Avlis Page

Avlis Project FAQ
Orleron
World Advisor, Co-founder
World Advisor, Co-founder

Timezone: GMT-5

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team