14%
Disease/Drug Addict.
1%
World linking
3%

Total votes : 180

What I like the most about Avlis is:

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:36 pm

What do you find most inspiring about Avlis? What keeps you coming back for more? Housing? Crafting? Something I've completely missed? Don't choose by popular opinion! What's the reason for you personally?

Also, what areas need improvement? What would you like to see added? Who does number 2 work for? Etc...
Manuel the White
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Lycanthropy » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:40 pm

I said character roleplay, but really it's a combination of several of the factors you've listed.

-Lyc.
Silver Fox - "it's like Friedrich Nietzche started doing steroids and drag."

Lycanthropy

Timezone: GMT-6
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Nigmalkin » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:41 pm

Yeah, I need an all-of-the-above option.
Nigmalkin
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: Mistcaller » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:47 pm

I selected maturity /realism. Maturity of the players-team; realism of the world. Both these things lead to good Character RPing and to a great world with deep background, with rich and interesting evolving plotlines and a variety of things to do.

Things that need improvement...hmm.. I think there will always be some...
Some of them that come to mind are:
- Faster PC Housing implementation (i.e. more housing directors would help)
- More mind-challenging spawns or quests (i.e. that need a variety of classes, strategic thinking)
- Persistent items-hints in DM plotlines (i.e. usage of persistent chests in some areas)

But even if you couldnt or you didnt want to change anything in the world, it would still be more than sufficient for me :)
Mistcaller

PostAuthor: Croton » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:53 pm

All (err, most) of the above. I like that you can get on and do any of hundreds of things. If you run out of things you like with one character, start another. I also like the slow progression because it adds value to what you do get. Skills, feats, items & magic become precious. It also allows you to have long term goals that you really have to work for to get.

The last inspiring thing is the responsiveness of the team. Without such a great team working on issues, no feature would be as good.

Croton

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:22 pm

I read the first option with an 'F' instead of an 'R'...got my vote because of that. :D
Use Gnome Machine Time, support your local gnome
Unoffical supporter of the unoffical sponsor of Nirika
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Nighthawk4 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:42 pm

A lot more than just one of the above.
Life is never as bad as you think it is, although that doesn't help at the time.

Orleron wrote:I think it's a fun idea if you can idiot-proof it. Problem is God always builds a better idiot. :P

Please visit:
Avlis UK, ACE Forum and SATF Forum

Nighthawk4
Eldest DM
Eldest DM

Timezone: GMT
DM Avatar: DruEl

PostAuthor: WrathOG777 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:44 pm

Think this poll needs to be a rank options in order kind of system instead of a best. After character RP...

DM Interaction
Rich world history
reliable servers (fast, not an issue)
Disease/Drug Addict.
Deathplanes, but that I sorta consider part of the rich world history
Last edited by WrathOG777 on Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WrathOG777
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:00 pm

Yeah, that would be a nice feature. You could copy and paste a list of your top 5. 8 )
ACTIVE CHARACTERS: Casey Landry, Jessie Morrice
SOMETIMES CHARACTERS: Silinde, Luthias
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:23 pm

Lesbian Pixies
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: Actually » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:23 pm

I chose RP, but it's really more than character RP. To me, I don't see a distinction btw RP'ing with someone I know is a PC and RP'ing w/ someone I know is a DM-controlled NPC.

Everything on that list is great, all of it. But in the end, what makes me keep hitting that Direct Connect button is the certainty that whoever I run into on Avlis, I'm gonna RP with 'em and have a damn good time doing it.

Bye Now,
Jerry Cornelius - Yay us.
Everything I need to know in life, I learned from being an alcoholic.

Actually
Sage

PostAuthor: Reinstag » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:26 pm

Okay, real reason I keep logging in and neglecting house work:
http://www.avlis.org/memberlist.php
Reinstag
Sage

PostAuthor: Dashel » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:38 pm

I chose realism but thats a moot point without some of the others such as character interaction and DMed events, otherwise i might as well be playing the single player campaign well expect that it isnt very realistic :)
"Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do."

Dashel
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Location: If theres a bright spot in the galaxy the place furthest from

PostAuthor: Vicky » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:41 pm

Reinstag wrote:Lesbian Pixies

Weeeeeeeee!

V x x x
Thank goodness Vicky finally gave up that powergamer character, Tehenen. If I saw her one more time at the Ice Caves, I was gonna throw up! Jesus. To go from level 1 to 5 in 8 months is just ridiculous. I bet she has like 4200 gold too. Unbelievable how fast she was gaining levels and wealth. ;)
Vicky
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Krez » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:26 pm

Fer me its the DM's. They can always give ya the surprise and excitement mosty. But the character roleplay is a close close second.
*watches a pixie fly by*
"Psst... hey Guido... it's all so clear to me now... I'm the Keeper of the
Cheese... and you're the Lemon Merchant... and he KNOWS... that's why he's
going to KILL us... and we have to get away before he sets loose the
marmosets upon us... DON'T WORRY LITTLE MISSY!! I'LL SAVE YOU!!"
-- Ren, from Ren & Stimpy, "In The Army"
Krez
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:18 pm

Nobody loves us Silk: :wink:
Forums/website [0]
Disease/Drug Addict. [0]

So, only one person can think of an area that needs improvement? C'mon folks! I, for one, know damn well that the website needs updating cause I've been slacking. :oops: What else needs to be improved or should we just skim the R&R and Bug Report forums? Ummmm, no.

If nothing needs improving, is there anything you would like to see added?

The Team realizes that many of the very best ideas come from the Avlis community. So, here's a big 'Thank you!' to all of you.
INACTIVE CHARACTERS: Manuel (the White) Thay't Le'Megen, Zven Reaplenoose, Drashter Volterz
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: The wise » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:38 am

I voted for character Roleplay and would vote realism second and possibly forums third esp the IC forums and larger PMs mailbox size :P. All these add up to living and breathing your character like we would as if we are reading a novel from a bestseller where your hero interacts and react to the envirnoment /challenges/plot and transport us into a whole different realm of realitiy where we gain satification of seening those character we play LIVE 8)
He who has it doesn't tell it;

He who takes it doesn't know it;

He who knows it doesn't want it.
The wise
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Tunic » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:30 pm

Yeah, I voted for character roleplay also, but as you know, nobody expects the spanish inquisition, with their fearful array of weapons and strategies...

...and those lovely red robes....

Which basically means, I really really like the whole package. Can't comment on the speed of housing requests, as I'm still saving my pennies, but I have been for the most part pleasantly surprised by the depth, maturity and level of sophistication of the vast majority... shame about my characters really, in that context....
Tunic
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Dashel » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:00 am

Manuel the White wrote:Nobody loves us Silk: :wink:
Forums/website [0]
Disease/Drug Addict. [0]

So, only one person can think of an area that needs improvement? C'mon folks!

As someone that caught the spite 3 times in his first few weeks of playing and spending the first few days with people telling me to stay away from them and thinking that id never get to rp. I cant say that I was a fan, though now I look back with some fondness of it, not because I enjoyed the spite but because it added a lot to the world and the feeling I was in a real world. Though I do think it would be better if the disease was less contagious so as to lead to more RP than being told to stay away and take the cure.

As for the message board, I love it I spend a lot of time reading it, admittadly it would be even better if people but as much effort into the IC section as the rant one, but maybe not that much happens IC?

So what I hope to see improved, well first off DM run quests, I think it would be great if the number of people on them was limited a bit. Great having the entire city rise up and confront those attacking it, but in general ive found if there are too many people on the quest and god knows we all want on them, it becomes a race to the next monster. (please dont now post and say how your group never had this problem, this is a generalisation and im sure nobody out there thinks their group did this) Smaller groups but each finding out different things, requiring players to discuss it among themselves and also giving the oportunity to give false leads if the player should wish.

Linked to this, that damn watch list. It rarely goes a day there isnt a post relating to it, to me it seems like the sword of democlese (SP), hanging over everyones head that as soon as you do something wrong you will be on it and never see another DMed quest. Sure everyone wants to be on DMed quests and Dm's need a way to choose who to pick, but RPings ment to be fun and it seems to me that theres too much mention/ too many people on it.

And my own pesonal grip so no one needs pay any attention to this, house braking. It seems there is a lot of this going on and its seems to be a riskless/visctimless crime. Should someone go down a cave filled with monsters to find loot they have to fight all the monsters. Even if some people feel this can be done too many times, everytime it still requires the defeating of X number of monsters. Many houses ive seen dont even have locks on them. If locks were on them all it would at least give guards the chance of stumberling across someone while they gain illict entry rather than need to be there just as they open the door and slip in.

Thats about all I can come up with I hope its what you were looking for.
"Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do."

Dashel
Lord of Blithering Idiots

Location: If theres a bright spot in the galaxy the place furthest from

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:03 am

Thank you. I appreciate the comments. In fact, you've given me an idea... 8 )
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Deider » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:31 am

Dashel wrote:So what I hope to see improved, well first off DM run quests, I think it would be great if the number of people on them was limited a bit. Great having the entire city rise up and confront those attacking it, but in general ive found if there are too many people on the quest and god knows we all want on them, it becomes a race to the next monster. (please dont now post and say how your group never had this problem, this is a generalisation and im sure nobody out there thinks their group did this) Smaller groups but each finding out different things, requiring players to discuss it among themselves and also giving the oportunity to give false leads if the player should wish.

The last sentence was bolded by me. I know how tough it is when groups get large. Trust me, it gets just as tough for us on the other side of the curtain. Sometimes these things are meant to be big and epic. And sometimes things are meant to be small and intimate, and they start off small, but other PCs happen to come along (or get sent Tells along the lines of 'come to ____ now, DM event here!').

Your idea is great in theory. If done sequentially, as in one small group of players per night, each group with a slightly different roster, then yes, this makes for an interesting adventure. I know because this is what happened with the Iron Behemoth quest - just ask around and see how literally a dozen or more PCs (some of whom never even met until the final climax) pieced together that mystery. The Vortex and the latest Hugar plots, as well as that thing with Rufus in the Elysia sewers, were also like this.

But if done simultaneously, as in two or three groups running around on the same server at once, well... this is a DM's nightmare. In PnP this is fine, but in NWN I can only be in one place at one time. And if I'm hopping between two or three groups, then I only know 1/2 or 1/3 of what each of them is doing and can't really effectively DM any of them.

Dashel wrote:Linked to this, that damn watch list. It rarely goes a day there isnt a post relating to it, to me it seems like the sword of democlese (SP), hanging over everyones head that as soon as you do something wrong you will be on it and never see another DMed quest. Sure everyone wants to be on DMed quests and Dm's need a way to choose who to pick, but RPings ment to be fun and it seems to me that theres too much mention/ too many people on it.

Again, I understand what you mean. But what you've said is akin to me saying something like, 'damn them anti-murder laws, it's like a sword of Damocles hanging over my head every time I want to climb onto the roof of my house and start capping random passersby.'

99% of the players here need not worry about this 'watch list' that you speak of. If you're not doing anything wrong, then don't worry about it, because you have no reason to. We're not Big Brother - I don't discipline people because I get my jollies off doing so, I discipline people because I know that if I didn't Avlis would slowly deteriorate into a PW that is less enjoyable for all.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:36 am

Manuel the White wrote:
So, only one person can think of an area that needs improvement? C'mon folks! I, for one, know damn well that the website needs updating cause I've been slacking. :oops:

Disagree

Think the web site and forums are fine. What I would say needs improving is the 'joiners pack' for want of a better word the newbie receives.

This may have improved since I saw it last but if all the relevent information was put into a pdf/.doc for the newby and sent along for them to read before logging on half the problems we see would be curtailed and game play would improve, it would have helped me a lot when i started. My first PC interaction on joining avlils was meeting Costas! Grrr.

Also if made available on the home page would be a good sales tool, giving a flavour of Avlis.

Most of this is already there, the task would involve combining loads of info in the boards, and I know your going to say 'Its already there they just have to find it' but it is hard to find unless you know what your looking for and know what the hell we're all going on about in the first place.

Should contain things like:

Background to Avlis things like 'this is a work in progress' which is often overlooked in posts
History
Economy
Newbie FAQ's
What is role play, types of character you can make
Various newbie guides that PC's have started
Crafting basics and the newbies guide
Example character creations, warrior/mage/crafter/bard.....what cant be done more importantly
Flavouring - by that i mean infamous PC information like - why is Alladorn like he is, who are the LoD/Hands of Dru'El, what are the Sereg, where is Kissik and the Horde and who the hell is Costas.
Guild information
Examples on how you can get involved in the project if you want to do more than play

I can do bits of this if there is a need but there are better people out there than me at this sort of thing.

*kerching*
Manuel the White wrote: Just do a search for "you are going to die motherfucker" and you'll probably find it.

Player of: Heronimous Fox - politician and diplomat; Nia D'Joon - knitter and midwife; Zavnuk - Dubunat pastry chef and racontuer 'Flambes a speciality'; Deek Kurandas - "I taught everything Zach nose", seeker of Mistys secret passage and best friend of Krack Hamster
Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Manuel the White » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:50 pm

Hi, Fox. 8 )

I appreciate your comments. One thing I've been struggling with is the relationship between the forums and the website. Yes, the forums drive the front page news and polls but that doesn't address the informational pieces that you outlined.

At this point, I think the best way to describe the forums is the drafting area for world documents. Orl will usually post new world information. Silk will add comments. Someone else who was in the PnP campaign will make a correction. Players start asking questions looking for more detail or qualifications. This process goes on for a week or three. Once the majority of the discussion has ended, I'd like to then publish this info to the website compiled and edited into a single, complete document.

The Word doc is something that would likely be very helpful. Strangg has just returned (ph34r!) so maybe I'll discuss this with him. I do worry about giving newbs too much information. Part of the fun (or not so fun) or at least realism of Avlis is the discovery process of how things work. For instance, do we tell people who our favorite Rouge Organization is or let them feel the surprise when they are approached when doing something 'they' don't like.

Things are hard to find at this point. I'm going to be redoing the nav on the website to acount for this. Having everything under 'About Avlis' just isn't doing anyone justice. With the help of some Subcontractors, I hope to get more info posted soon. That's part of the problem with forums: they're dynamic. Topics move from one page to second page to third page. Things get edited or deleted. Threads get moved to other forums. Etc. Having a static repository of info should remedy this if it is made easy to find.

I really do appreciate the comments and suggestions. You've helped me see some new areas that need to be addressed.

Thanks,

- Manuel
Manuel the White

PostAuthor: Liartes » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:11 pm

Rouge Organization

ARGH!!!! *twitch*
Liartes
Sage

PostAuthor: Heronimous Fox » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:22 pm

Manuel

I think i got my comments confused between website and forum as well, sorry. Call it a lack of sleep recently because of RL.

I agree whole hartedly with the comment about not giving too much away, they gist of my thoughts were to bring together a lot of the good threads people have contributed, couple that with background of Avlis that already exists, and maybe some example templates on character creation.

I suppose the idea is part sales item and partly to help ease people into Avlis and make the experience more rewarding.

Most of the info i list is out there....it just takes time finding.

Will help where i can, going to revisit the newbie faq's tomorrow for a while.

regards and thanks

Heronimous Fox
Bronze Contributor

Next

Return to Avlis Polls