Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Links Menu

D&D Elvish Dictionary

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

D&D Elvish Dictionary

PostAuthor: Deider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:35 am

As you all know, most elves on Avlis speak Nanshilae, but those pesky drangonari elves speak the elvish tongue of Forgotten Realms D&D. While Nanshilae has a lot of vocabulary and grammar info on the wiki, I am having trouble finding a good source of D&D elvish. I don't really need grammar - though that would be nice - I am merely looking for a good resource to translate a few words. It does not have to be a 100% "official" document - the best thing I have found so far is this unofficial compilation.

Does anybody have a good resource for D&D elvish, perhaps something you have used in your own campaigns?
I like gnomes.
Deider
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: GMT -8
DM Avatar: Fegall

Re: D&D Elvish Dictionary

PostAuthor: Sarmanos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 am

Notably, it isn't fully Faerunian elven or standard DnD elven. As the Avlis wiki says it also uses Tolkien's Quenya elven of which there is a lot of info out there, though the link the Avlis wiki uses seems to no longer exist. Might not hurt to ask the higher powers for a new official source of that elven aside from going and buying the Silmarillion.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.
Sarmanos
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Elradra » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 am

I just found this stuff during a sleep-deprived google search, take them as you will I guess.

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/quenya.htm - Quenya history, very academic with sources and such. By "academic" I of course mean dry blocks of text, but it's thorough.
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/wordlists.htm - wordlists from the same site, downloaded as rich text files (and one .doc for some reason.) Last updated 2008.
http://uo.thehonorempire.org/web/content/1/elf/files/Elvish_Glamervelt.pdf - A slightly modified version of the Grey-Company wordlist that we used to have linked. Download.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/5758795/JRR-Tolkien-Elven-Phrases - Word list by Grey Company on Scribd broken down by category. Copyright 1998.

Hopefully at least one of these helps!
Elradra
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: Central US

PostAuthor: Deider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 am

This wiki entry (http://wiki.avlis.org/Nanshilae) states:

Angadar was once a mortal elf born on Toril, which is the planet of the Forgotten Realms setting. The elven language which HE speaks IS the Forgotten Realms elven language, and that is the language which he taught to his creations.

That paragraph is identical to one in an old lore post by Orl.

I could find Quenya mentioned only once on the wiki, here (http://wiki.avlis.org/Elf,_Drangonari).

The Drangonari elves speak Drangonari, and that is the same language as Faerun Elvish, which is similiar to Quenya, one of the elven languages created by Tolkien.

They speak this because their creator Angadar is an elf from Faerun, and taught his creations his language.

Thanks for pointing me to this page, Sarm - as you mentioned, unfortunately the external links no longer work. The italics above are by me. Interestingly, a forums search on Quenya didn't find any posts authored by Orl, but it seems I answered my own question 14 years ago.

Not to split hairs, but "also uses Quenya" is different from "uses Faerun elvish, which is similar to Quenya." I mention that merely because:
1) though Aloro stated back in 2004 that Faerun elvish is based on Quenya, there is disagreement on that point, both on these forums as well as on the internet in general
2) I could find several resources on Quenya online but not many for Faerun elvish (thanks for the links Elradra!)
3) an admittedly cursory comparison of translations of words (for numbers and colors, for example) gave completely different results for Faerun elvish and Quenya

So is Faerun elvish really based on and/or a simplified version of Quenya, and if so, is it OK to use Quenya if I need to translate words into drangonari elvish? (Since, according to Wikipedia, Quenya has some 25,000 known words.)
I like gnomes.
Deider
Major DM
Major DM

PostAuthor: l1t3r » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 pm

When I played Amand, back in the day, I used the Grey Company word list. It was what most people playing Drangonari and who had characters that spoke Drangonari were using, to my knowledge. Not a teamie, but it was accepted back then.

darjth
<Grunt> "Vesdrac 25:17.... the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by ME." *keels*
l1t3r
Scholar

PostAuthor: Elradra » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 am

l1t3r wrote:When I played Amand, back in the day, I used the Grey Company word list. It was what most people playing Drangonari and who had characters that spoke Drangonari were using, to my knowledge. Not a teamie, but it was accepted back then.

darjth

That's kinda the issue right now, Grey Company seems to be gone or at least down for now. Unless someone here had the foresight to download all their stuff and reposts it somewhere we may need to find other word lists or something.

Nerd problems yo.
Elradra
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: Central US

PostAuthor: Deider » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:47 pm

We've edited the wiki page for Drangonari elves thanks to your input. Sarm, thanks for pointing out that wiki entry in the first place, and thanks to darjth and Elradra for the background of usage of Quenya/Sindarin by players of Drangonari PCs.

The Grey Company links are kaput, but we've replaced them with an online dictionary for Quenya & Sindarin that I'm already finding very useful.

Game on :D
I like gnomes.
Deider
Major DM
Major DM

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion