Total players: 1
Gallery
  • The Burning Chapel
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am

Links Menu

I have achieved a new low...

umm.. huh? (Stale threads removed after 30 days)

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

I have achieved a new low...

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:18 pm

I felt the need to do something brainless over the weekend. For "reasons" I chose to give Tera a spin.

Well they certainly got brainless down to an art form. Aesthetically... there's just so much that's oh so wrong. Not that I expected otherwise :lol:
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.
PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache

Timezone: US/Eastern

Re: I have achieved a new low...

PostAuthor: loki70 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:10 pm

You mean metal bikinis and 6ft wide ninja stars on a girl that weighs 90 lbs with a d-cup are not highly aesthetic? Yeah, the eye jarring visuals usually hide the glitchy graphics, the horrible PvP system, and all the anime quality graphics. But for a cheap thrill, it's not that bad. It's free and instant gratification. I think you are 10th level before you ever even meet a challenge.
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 pm

The water balloon physics, "just because we can" cutouts, and a cringe-worthy race... yeah. And if you don't want to look like you wander around the Intrepid museum looking for ... customers you either need to grind a huge amount of gold or spend RL money. And when you do, 80% of the offerings get you ready for a much higher class of ... customer. :flucht:

As for challenge... after two days of playing I'm more than half-way through the level-grind. On a free account. If you use the right opener the rest of the "rotation" is to spam spacebar until your special comes up then hit C and then back to spacebar.
PlasmaJohn

PostAuthor: loki70 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Yeah, it's very much a button mash kind of game. But the free account will get you in, and most of the cash crap is just cheap thrills of accessories.
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Trigger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:27 am

If you want free and fun, give Warframe a go. Basically Space-Ninjas on speed, it's kinda easy to pick up but takes some mastering. And when you pull off that sweet "barrell-rolling-dive-wall-run-devastating-ground-attack-shoot-the-guy-in-the-face-and-cut-his-friends-to-pieces" you feel like a badass... and you are.
Trigger
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:37 am

Trigger wrote:And when you pull off that sweet "barrell-rolling-dive-wall-run-devastating-ground-attack-shoot-the-guy-in-the-face-and-cut-his-friends-to-pieces" you feel like a badass... and you are.

So... Same as Avlis pretty much? :P
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Trigger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Exunctly, only less Hobgoblins
Trigger

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Trigger wrote:... give Warframe a go. ...

Eh, shooters are so not my bag, baby. And if I was going down that rabbit hole it would have to be BF2.

I know their Plains of Eidolon expansion is supposed to bring more of an MMO feel to it but every last picture I see of the game it's all about the armor and that is roughly what I was trying to get away from. Eve Online dropped their (neglected) avatar mode and now it's all about being a spaceship. While it scratches a particular itch I do need some nod towards a flesh-and-blood existence.
PlasmaJohn

PostAuthor: bolo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:24 pm

I've mostly given up on MMOs the last few years.Nobody ever really made anything that topped Ultima Online ( before they tinkered with it until they ruined it ) or Star Wars Galaxies. I'd always thought future MMOs would get more complex, better, deeper sanboxy worlds, but they obviously went the other way. Can't say I blame them. I get it. making Everquest clones is easier and cheaper in the long run. Too expensive. I guess that's the same reason noone ever tackled another Neverwinter Nights type of project. besides NWN,
I find myself playing some Fantasy grounds online when I can. I'm playing in a Savage Worlds campaign right now that meets every week. problem with a game like that is it can be difficult to get players to show up regularly. But when everyone does, it's awesome.I keep meaning to put together a Castles and Crusades game at some point.Love the old school feel of that system.I've often thought it would be fun to take the Avlis sourcebook for Pathfinder and try running a Fantasy Grounds campaign with that, but I think it would be a ton of work to put together.
I think the last MMO I played was Elder Scrolls Online. It was ok, but nobody in these games roleplays. I hate hearing about RL news and politics when I'm playing online. I'm trying to get away from that shit.
One small MMO ( really it's hard to call it an MMO because there aren't a lot of players, maybe a hundred or so on at a time) is Project Gorgon. I actually had some fun playing there. It's hard to find people, but they do rp some. And the system is fun, it's made by a couple who used to work on Asheron's Call back in the day, and the gameplay is similar.It also has an offbeat sense of humor. You can play as creatures, like a cow for instance. And yes, people can milk you.
Currently on Eastern Time - 5 GMT.
Available play times= any time ! Way too much time on my hands.

bolo

Timezone: est -5 gmt

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:55 pm

bolo wrote:I've mostly given up on MMOs the last few years.Nobody ever really made anything that topped Ultima Online ( before they tinkered with it until they ruined it ) or Star Wars Galaxies. I'd always thought future MMOs would get more complex, better, deeper sanboxy worlds, but they obviously went the other way. Can't say I blame them. I get it. making Everquest clones is easier and cheaper in the long run. Too expensive.

All three of the examples have certain open world elements that the masses simply had little to no tolerance for. It's NOT a "kids these days" thing, it's a "life too short" thing. Yes, there's an audience that loves barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways sort of thing but it's very small.

So, yeah, the existing demographic isn't large enough to support a AAA effort. Heck I'm not sure some of the up and coming crowdfunded games are going to survive their first quarter.

I guess that's the same reason noone ever tackled another Neverwinter Nights type of project. besides NWN,

Oh they exist. They're called Lumberyard, Unity, Unreal, and a handful of others. May as well throw Second Life into the mix.

It was ok, but nobody in these games roleplays. I hate hearing about RL news and politics when I'm playing online. I'm trying to get away from that shit.

I had a lot of fun with the Wildstar RP community. It was a bit of an adjustment but had some good times. Sometimes I regret having to abandon that when I needed to get away from raiding. My mistake for mixing my raid main with my RP main.

As for General chat channels, usually the best thing to do is to just turn them off. I lump them into their own tab on the off chance something happens I'd like to know about.
PlasmaJohn

PostAuthor: Micah » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:21 am

loki70 wrote:...and most of the cash crap is just cheap thrills of accessories.

My kryptonite.
Micah
Lead Producer

Timezone: GMT-5
DM Avatar: Pelar

PostAuthor: PlasmaJohn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Hit the levelling wall in TERA. I'm about 800m xp (yes million) xp shy of hitting the level cap and I'm out of story and grind quests. Since this was mostly a lark I haven't bothered to make any social connections or attempted to run any of the dungeons. The grind quests reset daily so I should be able to hit the cap tonight or tomorrow.

Still that left me with some free time. I briefly considered hopping onto Ferrell to check out the Trade Fair but it was already late afternoon on Sunday which is about when things start to wind down. Somebody on Massively OP mentioned that Warframe's Plains of Eidolon expansion may indeed offer avatar gameplay so I downloaded that.

I'll have to hand it to them it's really pretty. Actually no, it's freakin' gorgeous. But it's still very firmly a shooter. There was no character creation, it started in windowed mode (ugh), and plopped you down in the middle of an Escape! mission. Not terrible as a tutorial but I vastly prefer settings that let me get my bearings. For the 15% of the population that love the adrenaline rush this is right up your alley.

After some digging it looks like PoE unlocks at level 10 :? but you really don't want to go there until you're much further along in the main campaign. Oh well.

The consequence of this experimentation has pretty much confirmed that I'm done with EVE :( I mean, I knew that game was a bad fit but it scratched the sci-fi itch. Sadly it looks like the avatar itch is much worse.
PlasmaJohn

Return to Random Discussions