General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: Screenshots

PostAuthor: Doire » Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 am

Doire
Squire of Babble

PostAuthor: dashdot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Fun times yesterday. Thanks to all involved!

dashdot
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Jazz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Fun indeed! This was taken moments prior to the 'anti-Kenku, lightning Tri-Gorethar tactical positions' were taken. I should have screenshotted that!
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: dashdot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:14 pm

You mean this, Jazz? Teehee!

[Robo-Gorethar] Laben Kana'Sekor: [Talk] Perhaps, Fellock, you would prefer to embrace the truth?
[JazzMeister] Rodrick Goodman: [Talk] The truth sets you free
[Robo-Gorethar] Laben Kana'Sekor: [Talk] *kneels, to look the lying bastard in the eyes*
[dashdot] Yanyu Choym: [Talk] *watches closely*
[Fellock] Fellock: [Talk] ...Is...is the truth...um...in a merciful mood?

dashdot
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Jazz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:34 pm

:cooler:
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:30 am

Some preview Trade Fair screenies. More to come! :mrgreen:

:hexe: :schockiert: Spooky Harvest Festival 2017 :schockiert: :hexe:

*clicky clicky the picky*

Sorry for the lack of thumbnails or multi-sized images on the old gallery site. Just click one of the "no thumbnail" links and then do the usual slideshow thing. The toolkit will get added back eventually for that stuff. :wink:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
CCC - Special Projects Manager

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Chemical-Burn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:19 am

So that is how the place looks with 2nd story tiles on. Looks neat but I made the decision long ago to hide them since some refuse to hide and I've been annoyed by not seeing something due to it.

Chemical-Burn
Scholar

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 am

I might need a list of overrides there Gorgon. Those are awesome.
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Assist Staff
Assist Staff

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:16 pm

That's just the NWNCQ Project stuff. I only use it for Trade Fairs and other events, since I don't like the roof tiles for normal play either, and they totally change the colors on a lot of things (messes up colors in a lot of areas we have). The separate NWShader is kinda nifty too, if you like messing with it, but not simple to use (CQ was made to work with it).

*edits* Might be some of Sarm's old undead overrides in there too for a few critters around the place (see the list in the "Sprucing up ye olde NWN" link in my sig). I've used that for so long in my normal play, I forgot what the regular ones look like. :lol:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:12 pm

Some Avlis fun with the new MakePano console command in NWN:EE. This is just a quick first attempt at lower res (don't look too close or the bad seams will show). I don't use the depth of field frame-buffer option (kinda crappy so far), and the vibrance one adds way too much color for my liking there... but it is just a "let's see if this works" test. :wink:

Zvidureth: 75% scale, low-res, CQ - EE panorama test (2.4 MB)

*edit* Redone at a bit better resolution (no scaling), and the seams are fixed: Zvidureth: 100% scale, low-res, CQ - EE panorama test (4.5 MB) - Better panorama CDN host now, so no Google crap or plugins needed (horrible artifacts with Google conversion anyway).

Now I need to find some epic areas to try this in. Baz, Helby mob fight, Troll caves... Mt. Smokes or The Scar? Oh, Pit Lord fight! So many ideas. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Gorgon on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gorgon

PostAuthor: Hamlet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Gorgon wrote:Zvidureth: 75% scale, low-res, CQ - EE panorama test (2.4 MB)

My Google Photos version allows zooming in too (full res at any zoom level HD/street-view maps of Avlis anyone? :P ), but momento360 is easier to make simple sharing links with.

Well, wow. :o I'd love to see either of the M'Chekian coasts (the sandy lot of the northwest, or the cliff side of the northeast, for that matter).
Hamlet
QA/Module Lead/PH
QA/Module Lead/PH

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:20 am

The falls outside House Beign
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Assist Staff
Assist Staff

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:58 am

Updated my Zvid test pic above without scaling it down, and fixed the crappy seam job a bit. Every small increase in resolution increases the size by a lot though (almost 5 megs now).

I'll mess around with other image formats later (and tweaking the game capture parameters), but increasing jpeg compression is as bad as lowering the scale or resolution. Gifv or png might work, if I can find places that host it, but panorama shots that zoom well do not like low quality stuff. :(

Gorgon

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:55 pm

This is more of an FYI post, but I found a much easier/better way for hosting and linking panoramas, with the zoom feature (and more), if anyone else want to do it. Google will make them for you (even just tossing multiple pics in your account), but the results aren't great (I got some horrible artifacts added to the first 2 pre-made pano shots with whatever they did to re-convert it).

Something new I'm trying is just hosting on any site that allows external re-linking* (like Imgur), then use a free CND service to do the rest. The Pannellum: Simple Tutorial page takes your link and spits out the 360 shot for you to use here, and is very fast. I could use my own site even with the simple install for it, but the CDN service is much better.
* Unfortunately my first choice, the Avlis Gallery, is limited to 2 megs per pic, so not so good for big panoramas.

Same pic from before with a better FoV (less fishbowl), hosted on Imgur now, and using Pannellum: Zvidureth: 100% scale, low-res, CQ - EE panorama test (4.5 MB)

No more crappy re-compositing, and it has full zoom, plus it can link up panoramas like those street maps and virtual tours, as they did on the main page library shot (no tour feature with the simple upload thing, but any site can install it).

Yeah, I like toys. :P
Now I need to go make some better ones. :mrgreen:
:jump2:

*edits* I redid the first one with a better field of view to match the display scale, so it isn't like "Avlis in a fish bowl", and better vertical blending coverage (more screenshots up and down). Also there are reduced sizes from another viewpoint below, (still crappy resolution, but this is just fiddling around :wink: ). The first one above has a lot more detail, but the ones below are much smaller (half-res), so it is a trade-off (until I find better ways of doing it). I won't even link the really crappy 600k version. :-&

Zvidureth v2: Reduced FoV, low-res, CQ - EE panorama test:
High quality (1.11 MB)
Maximum quality (2.17 MB) - Not too much difference with the lower compression here, and almost double the size, but it makes a bigger difference on higher resolutions.

Interesting note: It looks like rendered light bloom effects from the lamps in that shot don't agree with the pano-splicing. There are 4 different ones in the original set of pictures it was made from, but it must have has a fit, thinking "follow the yellow brick road", and just made one light tunnelish thing around the path out of Zvid. :lol:

Gorgon

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:01 am

More Avlis fun with panorama fiddling. Let's see if anyone recognizes this Avlis area (Hint: it isn't around Avlis now :wink: ): Old Avlis with new guests: 8x4k (2.82 MB)

I was able to tweak things so I could keep the double resolution (8192x4096), and still have the compression cranked up, so the file sizes are much smaller now (compared to almost twice the size before). I should be able to improve on that too.

I chose the area for this because of the regular spawns it normally has (crystal golems spawning like crazy, with vfx everywhere for EE to chew on), but I ran into one of the bugs EE brought back, that was fixed before. The horrible creature stacking issue, where you get them all piled into the same spot. A screen shot of stacks of 10 of them together is just a blur, so I had to improvise for things to fight instead (had some fun too). The stacking thing should get fixed soon (I hope).

*Edit* Interesting note: Now that I'm manually editing the exif data to register it as a "360 photo" (like you can make with your phone), Google doesn't have to re-convert it, so they work quite well there. Better zooming as well.
Same pic in my Google Photos:
Old Avlis with new guests: 8x4k (2.82 MB)

Gorgon

PostAuthor: Blue Wolfy » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:23 am

Logged in tonight and was met with this....

ImageImage

So Berry has Tor Beat!, at least in the bear hat department.

I only feel myself, when i'm sombody else.
http://wiki.avlis.org/PCs:Sakura_Darkstar <last update Jan 22 '07>
http://wiki.avlis.org/PCs:%27Coco%27_Coranthia <last update Jan. 22, '07>
Blue Wolfy
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: pallizard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:03 pm

When Tor and Berry broke up, she got half of his rock?
pallizard
Scholar of Fools

He's Comming!

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:29 am

He knows when you are good or... another version of gud! (and he's comming < Clicky!!!) :P

Other random shots:
Trudge along to where we need to go...
Must buff!
A goal! (Ok, sorta :lol: )

And of course, the party must strike a pose (doesnn't matter if they want to or not) :twisted:

Gorgon

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion