Underdark - (0)
Total players: 7
Gallery
  • Helbyssia Final Battle
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: krackq
    Uploaded: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 am

Links Menu

(Poll) What is highly likely to get you to log in?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

What is highly likely to make you log in?

Player organized crafting related events
4%
Player organized crafting related events with a lurking DM
4%
Player organized exploration
10%
Player organized exploration with a lurking DM
7%
Player organized dungeon runs
10%
Player organized dungeon runs with a lurking DM
8%
Player organized social/RP events
8%
Player organized social/RP events with a lurking DM
8%
DM organized social/RP events
5%
DM organized adventure events
10%
DM plot events
12%
Chance of random DM encounter
5%
New areas or dungeons added in
11%

Total votes : 199

(Poll) What is highly likely to get you to log in?

PostAuthor: Sarmanos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:47 pm

I am curious about what the numbers are as far as interest goes for logging in for different event types for constructive use.

I'm personally not after replies or a discussion on what is being done, isn't being done, etc., so don't feel like you need to explain your vote. I just want to see what the numbers are and people can hopefully use the info to decide what kinds of events to try to do based on interest.

Don't just vote for everything please. Just what is most likely to get you to say "I'll log in for that!"

(P.S I I know they all have RP. Don't be that guy.)
Last edited by Sarmanos on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.
Sarmanos
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -5

Re: What is highly likely to get you to log in?

PostAuthor: Lycanthropy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Plotlines.
Silver Fox - "it's like Friedrich Nietzche started doing steroids and drag."

Lycanthropy

Timezone: GMT-6
DM Avatar: Senath

PostAuthor: Sarmanos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Added a new option for completions sake. Unfortunately it wiped out any votes so far so votes have to be done again. No more changes will be made to the poll options.

Also I won't personally be voting for the sake of disclosure or commenting in favor of any particular option over another.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.
Sarmanos

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Moredo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Moredo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: +2

PostAuthor: l1t3r » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Plots, but would also like to see a bigger, broader playerbase which would allow for more character diversity.
<Grunt> "Vesdrac 25:17.... the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by ME." *keels*
l1t3r
Scholar

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Generally if I see 6 or more people logged into one server I'm likely to stick my head in to see whats up if I'm available.
I've spent most of my money on beer, fast women, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted .
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: loki70 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Vichan Lyonsen wrote:Generally if I see 6 or more people logged into one server I'm likely to stick my head in to see whats up if I'm available.

Same...other than that it's usually just grinding, which loses it's allure after a while
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

Re: (Poll) What is highly likely to get you to log in?

PostAuthor: Ronan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Um... if my DM paperwork pile were smaller I could log in more :lol:
Ronan
CCC, Elder DM , RPotY 2014
CCC,  Elder DM , RPotY 2014

DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: slow feet » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:36 pm

I log in a lot. If there is a calendar event that looks remotely interesting and it's not at 1:00am I try to make it. For me that's the killer, the pub crawls are always at the middle of the night and one of the few events that I'm told drops DM loot. And no, I have to get up at 6:00am, so 1:00-3:00am is a non-starter. It would be nice to events like that at other times.

OGM...

slow feet
Squire of Babble

Timezone: MST

PostAuthor: Xaila » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Good, coherent plots that fit the setting and make the world feel alive that provide a reasonable opportunity for my PCs to interact meaningfully.

I enjoy a good Adventure Event too, which isn't mutually exclusive with the above.
We're all burning out, fading away
Like the passing light of day...

Player of:
Solveig Tcharov - Friendly Fire Award '11, Skywalker Award '11
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

Timezone: EST (-5/-4 summer)

PostAuthor: Baron Rosencheckl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:46 am

slow feet wrote:I log in a lot. If there is a calendar event that looks remotely interesting and it's not at 1:00am I try to make it. For me that's the killer, the pub crawls are always at the middle of the night and one of the few events that I'm told drops DM loot. And no, I have to get up at 6:00am, so 1:00-3:00am is a non-starter. It would be nice to events like that at other times.

OGM...

:D :D Can relate, I too have to get up at 6am for work, though I do make a point now that pubcrawls are 12 am my time to actually go to bed at 8pm - get as much sleep as I can till about 10 minutes before, game and then catch the last 2-3 hrs of shut eye.

I'm not as young as I used to be so I'll admit the next day is pretty brutal with me mainlining coffee and is the reason I've opted out of the newbie event that happens on the same time two days later. :D :D
player of Saman Tane
Fatespinner
Steelcaster of Dra'nar
Baron Rosencheckl
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:23 am

*Points Sarm (and anyone else interested) in the direction of the Avlis Marketing and Recruitment group application (2nd in the list), since it is something always on my brain*

Plethora wrote:We have been revitalizing our marketing and recruitment process! If you have great ideas on how we reach out better to the world, to find all the true Role Players that belong here please sign up !

Contact Plethora for admittance to the Avlis Marketing Think Tank Forum!

Appropriate description, since everyone tosses around ideas, and bashes many around (many to death, or...), until they work. If it gets to the working stage for the folks in the "tank", then we see if it needs some feedback from everyone else before making it happen.

If that sounds interesting, send the PM, and be more than just a playah!
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: shae » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Lately, pressing RL commitments are what keep me from logging in or staying logged in long enough to engage, otherwise, I'm game for anything.
Verossa wrote:[Tell] Shae : Confusing adventurers with morals since 2017 !
shae
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Xeo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 am

I've lost my mojo to log in, if I'm allowed to be honest Also I'm not right with some of the community behaviour in recent months. Not being rude or causing trouble or being negative but I just don't have that spark for it.

Which is a shame because I had alot of drive, passion and enthusiasm to my plots and roleplaying.

Of course RL is getting really busy and I work 12 hour days which don't help and family stuff but what little time I do have, none of the polls options at the moment would likely to log me in.
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Katroine » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Xeo wrote:I've lost my mojo to log in, if I'm allowed to be honest Also I'm not right with some of the community behaviour in recent months. Not being rude or causing trouble or being negative but I just don't have that spark for it.

Which is a shame because I had alot of drive, passion and enthusiasm to my plots and roleplaying.

Comments like that are why I am not playing right now.
Also why I am not sure when I will play again, regardless of new plots, adventures, etc.
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Xeo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Katroine wrote:
Xeo wrote:I've lost my mojo to log in, if I'm allowed to be honest Also I'm not right with some of the community behaviour in recent months. Not being rude or causing trouble or being negative but I just don't have that spark for it.

Comments like that are why I am not playing right now.
Also why I am not sure when I will play again, regardless of new plots, adventures, etc.

It's not a comment which I am being flippant.

It's my view at the moment and it took me a few attempts to write it but in the end I felt it was important to say what I am thinking and feeling at the moment because I have not been logging in. I was on everyday doing something either DMing or PCing.

So I am responding to a open public question regarding logging in and also perhaps highlighting what certain behaviours and actions can have on a community... Players like you and me not wanting to log in. (Though I believe I am one of those players to you, might be wrong but I doubt it with respect.)

I tried to get motivated again but I just can't stomach a few of the players at the moment and what they were trying to achieve recently.

I don't want to be that guy and I'm not a positive player to have in the community at the moment and I don't want to ruin anyone's hobby/gametime. Never wanted too and never will I hope. So like everyone has had in Avlis, is a time out and I will be back fresh and ready to rock the RP again with you all friend or foe.

Slightly hijacked this thread sorry, so finding positive ways to get folks logging in is important!

Game on :D
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: surfer69 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Xeo wrote:I don't want to be that guy and I'm not a positive player to have in the community at the moment and I don't want to ruin anyone's hobby/gametime. Never wanted too and never will I hope. So like everyone has had in Avlis, is a time out and I will be back fresh and ready to rock the RP again with you all friend or foe.

Honestly, your two (so far) posts in this thread are pretty much the definition of what makes someone "that guy." Seeing as how this poll was intended as a positive one, aimed toward increasing much-needed player involvement, maybe a relevant answer about what would make you log in would have been more constructive and appropriate than bringing up old issues to cite why you won't.

As for me, the answer is inclusive, coherent DM plots that incorporate world history and force a character to make tough decisions based on their individual backgrounds, religion, and moral outlook. That's a big ask, I know, but I've seen it done before and have to believe those days aren't over.

A second incentive would be new places to explore or updates of existing ones.

And a third would be player-driven gatherings with a purpose.
"See, want, take. What else is there, right?"
surfer69
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: Eklektikos » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Coherence,
Conflict,
Consequence,
Politics.
Eklektikos

Timezone: GMT

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:17 pm

What would make me log in more and play?

Not enjoying working on stuff here so much. :mrgreen:

Others talk about budgeting their time between playing, DMing and other Avlis "work" (we wouldn't do it if we didn't enjoy it :wink: ), but I never could do that.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Xaila » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Gorgon wrote:What would make me log in more and play?

Not enjoying working on stuff here so much. :mrgreen:

Others talk about budgeting their time between playing, DMing and other Avlis "work" (we wouldn't do it if we didn't enjoy it :wink: ), but I never could do that.

Nothing at all wrong with getting most of your bliss from doing behind the curtain stuff! It's good to be honest with yourself and others about where your motivations lie. I wouldn't mind seeing more people who jump into team/behind the scenes roles actually doing so because it's what they enjoy best and will devote their time to...rather than folks jumping in and not contributing because they're still completely absorbed with playing their PCs.
We're all burning out, fading away
Like the passing light of day...

Player of:
Solveig Tcharov - Friendly Fire Award '11, Skywalker Award '11
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

Timezone: EST (-5/-4 summer)

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:02 pm

surfer69 wrote:
Xeo wrote:As for me, the answer is inclusive, coherent DM plots that incorporate world history and force a character to make tough decisions based on their individual backgrounds, religion, and moral outlook. That's a big ask, I know, but I've seen it done before and have to believe those days aren't over.

I said to myself I wouldn't look back on the boards but I am sucker sometimes... :lol:

I split my main plot across two servers, bringing in as many PC's as I could. Challenging a Paladin with courtroom drama and giving them the platform to test their faith, diplomatic style events involving Valokians with negotiations RP and wisdom. Bards with Music, history and a opportunity to get involved which isn't just 'Bard Night'. The Shadow Dragon was created because characters left an area of the Forest drenched in Negative Energy's, consequence in the world which involved hundreds of Elves being slaughtered. All my events and stories was a deep woven, with a connected web, which I spent hours and months developing, writing and DMing. I put my heart and soul into it for the 'community' and various members of the community decided to take a huge dump from a great high horse on people I respected and cared. That story now will probably more than likely never finish and I've let down some players I know and one I do regret.

So yeah I am still pissed and people do get upset by other people's actions. I was also add, that the last drama again was never aimed at "me" but the behaviour and the way some of the community was going about things, were like snakes.

I was doing all that and now look where I am? Sitting on the fringes of a community, one less DM on the world and a player... You can take the high ground with the positive look but I bet lot of people see through your posts Surfer and a few others I will add... But *holds up hands* I might be completely wrong. This community can use 'opinions' when it suits them but when it's a honest feelings it can be shot down as being negative. In my opinion me airing this is a positive post because I pray that the recent drama doesn't happen again and you all move on with it... I on the other hand, take a bit longer to purge the poison from me.

Look after each other }8)
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: krackq » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:29 pm

The results so far are interesting.. I don't want to say surprising as I think either but the higher numbers are dm plots/adventures, new content, and player initiated outings (dungeon run/exploring). It's all centered around adventure! Maybe with a few more player posted adventure gatherings to random dungeons throughout the week (doesn't ever have to be a long time comittment) would spark some bigger adventuring parties and in turn eventually some dm tpk.. I mean flavorings.
[Celedor Dedwend: [Talk] *turns around and shakes ass before giving it a sharp slap*
Celedor Dedwend: [Party] ((this is my finest RP beyond a shadow of a doubt.. my zenith if you will))
Fydonya Ivythorn: [Party] that's sad celedor..
krackq
Jugglebutt Jones

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Auriane » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Ah yes ... Adventure. I would log in all the time if I could. Alas, sitting too long is difficult right now. I shall endeavour to log in more in the future.

For Adventure!

Auriane
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: LadyAwesome » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:26 am

I am not well versed in politics, so if anyone has something they could send me with examples of the kind of stories they like, I can work around that.
Pia - The Miette Hartley Ribbon for Exceptional Disregard of Allies 2014
LadyAwesome
Major DM, RPotY 2014
Major DM, RPotY 2014

Timezone: GMT +13
DM Avatar: Qinoxitl

PostAuthor: Isadora » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 am

Old friends.
~:Flowera Jooscia:~
*:Selle Galleaf:*
#:Isadora Arnemeigne:#
"Kingsley's Ho: Because my baby is going to be a wizard and portal rides to Visimontium ain't free"
Isadora
Scholar

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion