Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Saving Spellbook: save ALL spells, how?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Saving Spellbook: save ALL spells, how?

PostAuthor: Jazz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 pm

I play a Cleirc. I am changing my spellbook selection a lot and thought it would be great to save them using the '/spellbook' function. However, it seems I can only save my Cleric spells, not the few arcane spells I have access to from my Cleric Domains.

Can either of you save your spellbook including domain spells? If so, please tell me how!

Cheers.
Jazz
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT +1/+2

Re: Saving Spellbook: save ALL spells, how?

PostAuthor: Xeo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 pm

You can do what now??? X:|
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: krackq » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Pretty sure he's talking about this which seems magical... though I can't answer his question having never played a caster before

http://wiki.avlis.org/Avlis_Command_Prompt#Spellbooks
[Celedor Dedwend: [Talk] *turns around and shakes ass before giving it a sharp slap*
Celedor Dedwend: [Party] ((this is my finest RP beyond a shadow of a doubt.. my zenith if you will))
Fydonya Ivythorn: [Party] that's sad celedor..
krackq
Jugglebutt Jones

Timezone: GMT-5

PostAuthor: Jazz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:48 pm

krackq wrote:Pretty sure he's talking about this which seems magical... though I can't answer his question having never played a caster before

http://wiki.avlis.org/Avlis_Command_Prompt#Spellbooks

Yes, that was exactly what I was talking about. Thank you for your replies, non-casters :lol:
Jazz

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:56 pm

I can't help either, I just use this function to put all my spells back in my spellbook when I've swapped gear and lost spell slots.

/spellbook load ranger MJ ... then rest

:?
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: galen_macbyrne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 pm

I do have what appears to be the same problem with my cleric alt - whenever I have domain spells planned in the spell book, the spell slot is blank when I use the /spellbook command to load a spell book and rest, or if I just log in and such were in memory. But when I do it the long way and pick domain spells from the spell book using the button under my avatar, they are memorized and castable normally when I rest.

I'll have to test further in QA. May I suggest you log an official bug report and I will add these comments to it?
Galen
PC's:
Garthond Foehammer - Most Stereotyped PC, 2011 Irreverence Awards
Mirkduil Ellerentar - Guild Leader, ACE
Arglebargle Dinklehoffer - Red Order of the Flame
Slide Toefungus

galen_macbyrne
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: US - Eastern

PostAuthor: Jazz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:04 pm

galen_macbyrne wrote:I'll have to test further in QA. May I suggest you log an official bug report and I will add these comments to it?

I'll do that! Cheers.
Jazz

PostAuthor: Jazz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Bug reported. Let me know if you need more info.

http://bugtrack.avlis.org/view.php?id=361
Jazz

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Domain spells and /spellbook have been glitchy as far back as I can remember, so the bug report helps get it out there to be fixed (if possible).

I also have to reset my domain spells on login (that's a BioWare thing AFAIK), or they end up as 0 use left entries. If I make sure to rest with them properly after they are reset, before saving my spellbook with ACP, they load up fine from it after. Then I can '/spellbook load cleric partykiller' or whatever on login, and things are normal again.

Fixing /spellbook not saving domain spells all the time is hopefully doable by someone, but don't ask me about the Bio-glitch with them on login.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: galen_macbyrne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Mine appears different from the Bioware glitch then, if the glitch makes it appear as though the spell is grayed out and cast already (as you say, "no uses left"), For me the entire slot is blanked out, not appearing as "no uses left". And whether this domain glitch is related to the domain glitch in artificing, where a cleric cannot make a wand of a domain spell that he should be able to make, is another question entirely. Not sure if that bug was ever submitted or worked on either.
Galen
PC's:
Garthond Foehammer - Most Stereotyped PC, 2011 Irreverence Awards
Mirkduil Ellerentar - Guild Leader, ACE
Arglebargle Dinklehoffer - Red Order of the Flame
Slide Toefungus

galen_macbyrne
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: US - Eastern

PostAuthor: SaraEF » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Gorgon wrote:Domain spells and /spellbook have been glitchy as far back as I can remember, so the bug report helps get it out there to be fixed (if possible).

I also have to reset my domain spells on login (that's a BioWare thing AFAIK), or they end up as 0 use left entries. If I make sure to rest with them properly after they are reset, before saving my spellbook with ACP, they load up fine from it after. Then I can '/spellbook load cleric partykiller' or whatever on login, and things are normal again.

Fixing /spellbook not saving domain spells all the time is hopefully doable by someone, but don't ask me about the Bio-glitch with them on login.

As Gorgon states here, the /spellbook command has never worked properly with domain spells. It probably never will, because of the way the engine implements them. The only real way to fix it is to add them to the class spell lists - which would make them available to everyone, not just the domain. NWN is old, and bad.

That was the result of the conversation I had with Nob (who wrote the spellbook command) last year, anyway. Something may change in the future!
SaraEF
RPotY 2014

PostAuthor: Jazz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:43 pm

galen_macbyrne wrote:And whether this domain glitch is related to the domain glitch in artificing, where a cleric cannot make a wand of a domain spell that he should be able to make.

I CAN make wands of my Domain spells, I've made quite a few. I have no problems here.
Jazz

PostAuthor: loki70 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Jazz wrote:
galen_macbyrne wrote:And whether this domain glitch is related to the domain glitch in artificing, where a cleric cannot make a wand of a domain spell that he should be able to make.

I CAN make wands of my Domain spells, I've made quite a few. I have no problems here.

While I can make wands and scrolls of domain spells, what I can't do is cast arcane spells...

So while every other stat buff is divine, Cat's Grace, which is a domain spell for Rickus, is arcane. Which means he can make wands and scrolls of it, but if it hasn't changed, he cannot use them.

But didn't even know the "spellbook" command existed...I have got to try it because dying as a cleric is a massive pain in the ass.
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Yup, you can artifice domain spells, and it even adds usable by cleric to arcane ones, but... I'm pretty sure the only clerics that can use them are ones who also have the domain spell (trust me, I'd love being a supplier to other clerics with my alt). I can use my own though, so that is a huge perk (no idea about scrolls, just wands). Artificing goes by the innate spell level, not your cleric casting level, so I can make 5th level cleric imp invis wands as 4th.

As far as the spell slot issue, I was talking about how they appear in the radial as 0 use, but I'd imagine what you see in the quickslots for them is because of that (I don't remember ever quickslottong them, probably because of that very problem the first time I tried). Another case of "Ju should know what I mean, and not go by what I say!". :P
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

PostAuthor: SaraEF » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Your main take-away here is that domain spells are not considered part of your character's spell list - for reasons best known to some Bioware developer from 2001 - and this causes them to behave oddly in ways that can't really be helped.
SaraEF
RPotY 2014

PostAuthor: Seka » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 am

The /spellbook command largely relies on a plugin and external code library (meaning: Avlis uses it, but did not develop it) called nwnx_funcs. This library provides the functions to set and get memorized spell slots. Without it, /spellbook wouldn't be possible.

The version of that library that Avlis is using is fairly old. Newer versions (and by newer, we're talking 2009) appear to take domains into account, e.g.:

https://github.com/NWNX/nwnx2-linux/com ... 6cfbe15328 ("add missing domain field to Memorized Spell Slot structure")

Whether updating will provide us the means to fix the issue, I can't say, but we can experiment with it.

Just don't hold your breath waiting for a fix. ;)
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion