Total players: 6
Gallery

Links Menu

Where is the Hot Avlis Action?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: Where is the Hot Avlis Action?

PostAuthor: Katroine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Kinjara wrote:This thread has been a real eye-opener for me. I come from an MMORPG background (longtime Shadowclan member if you have heard of them) where DM-interaction is nearly non-existent. I can think of only two instances where developers/GMs actively participated/ran an event and instead it is the players who generate in-game actions/events. In those worlds the write-ups were always on guild forums and practically all of the IC stuff happened IG, not on forums. I do enjoy writing so will look to do more here. As a player new to Avlis most of my time has just been getting my feet wet in the world and learning this new PnP-like style (which I am loving btw).

Note: My start date says 2010, but I really started playing "for real" a few months ago.

Were you a Shadowclan orc?
Katroine
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Kinjara » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Katroine wrote:Were you a Shadowclan orc?
Yep, for many years. And then also a Shadowclan kobold in DAoC Mordred, and played in many other games with Shadowclan as well. Favorites were UO as an orc on Siege Perilous, DAoC as a kobold on Mordred and Shadowbane as an Irekei (forget server).

In fact, it was a couple of Shadowclan players that introduced me to Avlis back in 2010 but I soon got distracted by something else and didn't play long.

Sorry for the off-topicness.

Kinjara
Squire of Babble

Timezone: Eastern

PostAuthor: Katroine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:13 pm

I played Siege though never had an orc. I was in PAG ( I think that was it ) and GUL. I spent a lot of time down in Wispwood toward the end of my time on Siege. I adored the orcs!
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: GunnJ » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 pm

I would literally be lost without some of the posts from Thienna/Sapphire. So if you've not been thanked for them, thank you.
Thank you Kat, I appreciate this.

I've tried to write several things about "event reporting" and why people are not writing as much. But after spending far too much time writing something then deleting it again, essentially it comes down to this:

Tip your bards, thank your postwriters, write something yourself once in a while.
“If you can’t take the heat, don’t tickle the dragon.”
GunnJ
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 am

GunnJ wrote:
I would literally be lost without some of the posts from Thienna/Sapphire. So if you've not been thanked for them, thank you.
Thank you Kat, I appreciate this.

I've tried to write several things about "event reporting" and why people are not writing as much. But after spending far too much time writing something then deleting it again, essentially it comes down to this:

Tip your bards, thank your postwriters, write something yourself once in a while.

Amen.

Just so you know you will have at least one person (me) reading your posts. :D

Well

Unless you write only in the Underdark... I don't read the Underdark.
If the milk’s spillled, the cat will drink it, his mother use to say. Dragons of Autumn Twilight - by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: dashdot » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:43 am

So I've heard from a few PCs I've ran across recently that there was a big attack in M'Chek.

But other than those PCs I've encountered who have mentioned it and the OOC raves in the Pleth thread, there's been nothing on the forums. Can someone please take a minute to write something IC about this?
dashdot
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:03 am

I would like to say a big thank you to those who have written up plot stuff after the events. Made my life ten times easier and sooo much more interesting reading the events through a PCs eyes.
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Isadora » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 am

surfer69 wrote:I used to do a lot of IC write-ups on behalf of the various toons I've played through the years. They were my way of thanking DMs for their hard work, acknowledging brilliant moments other characters had, and expressing the worldviews of the various PCs I've played.

But I'll be honest with you - it seems the plots and events these days cater toward a handful (at most) of characters. My main character, Angus Blacksail, happens to be in one of the groups, so I'm lucky in that regard. But other than that select few, it seems (and maybe I'm wrong) that if you're not the groups that have ins in all the stuff going on in and around Zvidureth (formerly including the entire Hel'byssia thing or currently the Avariel business) or in a mage order, the pickings are mostly Pub Crawls, one-offs, or plots that focus specifically on one or two characters. And don't be fooled - writing a public post about a plot you're in is decidedly not the same thing as inviting others to participate, no matter how stridently people say otherwise.

Oh hey look, some straight talk. Always loved your write-ups and, may I say I admire your ability to recognize and declare that you are in one of those in-groups. Let's hope the times they are a-changin' as Pleth's personal event ideas look fantastic!

I used to see plenty, really, TONS of write-ups about plots and DM events.... only within confines of private guild sub-boards. Like someone mentioned, I think there's a general "trust" reason people give themselves for having their character not post information/details. Logically yes, IC, in the grand scope of things why would your character put up public record of sensitive information, names or locations where *gasp* THE BAD GUYS can see it or some other character can exploit it?!?!? Conveniently this mistrust/fear also keeps the plot info in the hands of the privileged.

But you know you don't have to like, include literally every detail... your character can also be intelligent with their trust issues and omit sensitive details. Even a regular mysterious emote post with a sprinkling of clues is better than nothing. Emote posts mean "My character isn't going to write about the explosion they caused in the middle of the forest, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen and cause a sound..anyone passing by might hear..."

And may I remind that sometimes mistakes, failures or letting information slip makes for more OOC fun... sometimes you have to think above your character's own head.

Also Hi Ninjar! *Disappears again in a puff of smoke*
~:Flowera Jooscia:~
*:Selle Galleaf:*
#:Isadora Arnemeigne:#
"Kingsley's Ho: Because my baby is going to be a wizard and portal rides to Visimontium ain't free"
Isadora
Scholar

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:23 am

Since it came up in IRC that this might have been missed by people because of where it was posted, have another event writeup: ~At the Shahesk and Kobold Camp~

All that nice boot leather wasted. What a shame. *sniff* :twisted:
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: FireFly » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:15 am

Last edited by FireFly on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FireFly
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: central

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 am

Only recently returned, and I also noticed that the forums were pretty dead, especially with the IC stuff. This is no doubt just an offshoot of a dimishing player base, less players, less chance of someone writing something up.

As an idea of getting people to write up - reward them? I know it shouldn't be necessary but its a suggestion? Make a point of rewarding the best IC write ups. My 2cents.
Woodsmaster Talon Blade
Battle Sergeant of Le'Nofaythen'T'Nanshi
Former Hero of of Lonovanen'Hirefya

http://twitter.com/AJDSullivan
Talwin Hawkins

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Plethora » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 am

My main character, Angus Blacksail, happens to be in one of the groups, so I'm lucky in that regard. But other than that select few, it seems (and maybe I'm wrong) that if you're not the groups that have ins in all the stuff going on in and around Zvidureth (formerly including the entire Hel'byssia thing or currently the Avariel business)

I DM the most, and these are my things, and in defense of myself, please everyone remember..
Im an Australian
And the people most prominent in my plots/events are people who are crazy enough to still be awake.
Just saying <[8)

I do try to throw as many open events in times that are good for others when I can :)

I would agree with you, but then, we would both be wrong..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: Plethora » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 am

As an idea of getting people to write up - reward them? I know it shouldn't be necessary but its a suggestion? Make a point of rewarding the best IC write ups. My 2cents.

We have this, or had it before, I can respark <[8)

I would agree with you, but then, we would both be wrong..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: Xeo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:07 am

Plethora wrote:

We have this, or had it before, I can respark <[8)

This is something I was about to start my own thread on the team boards.

I have three or four people in mind and I don't want to forget them. Brain is getting over used these days.

The write up on a bit of my plot is so good, that it's being used as history of a NPC.

As Pleth said, it can be resparked. :D
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:43 pm

Maybe just remind people at end of epic DM lurve? Glad to hear it will be used! Now to get myself in an event...
Woodsmaster Talon Blade
Battle Sergeant of Le'Nofaythen'T'Nanshi
Former Hero of of Lonovanen'Hirefya

http://twitter.com/AJDSullivan
Talwin Hawkins

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: LadyAwesome » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:18 am

To be fair, no one has ever written a write up about any event I have run ever... I'm probably not good enough for those.... or never have a future plot.... or didn't read the forums.

BUT I give so much in events. XP's mostly, its my jam and cheese.
Pia - The Miette Hartley Ribbon for Exceptional Disregard of Allies 2014
LadyAwesome
Major DM, RPotY 2014
Major DM, RPotY 2014

Timezone: GMT +13
DM Avatar: Qinoxitl

PostAuthor: Auriane » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Lady Awesome,

I'll make a point of writing up your next foray! For your events are just that, AWESOME!

I appreciate all that you've done and hope you bring us all more in the future!

with a wave and a hug

Glora!

Auriane
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: pacific

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion