Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:13 am

Links Menu

Avlis Side Kick alternative (sort of)

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Avlis Side Kick alternative (sort of)

PostAuthor: Vanar Alhaldren » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 pm

I've been playing around with a program called Neverwinter Nights Direct Connect Launcher as an alternative to ASK since the latter is not working on most systems now. It has some limitations at the moment - only allowing 5 direct connect fields is the biggest of these. It does have some other handy features, though: a built in log rotating option that is very basic but gets the job done, the ability to launch NWN as player or DM, launch the toolset, and support for NWNCX.

I figure that for the moment I'll give it a go and keep my 5 most logged servers on the shortcuts and just launch NWN and go through NWN multiplayer for the rest. I liked using GLR but if if crashes or does not start with system for some reason I don't generally remember to get it going again.

I did send the author of the newest version a message suggesting that support for more connections be added as well as the ability to launch a program before (after too, perhaps) NWN. Not sure if anything will come of that, but it could shape up to be a nice alternative to ASK for those of us who prefer that sort of utility to bat files or shortcuts.

Link: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... t-launcher

Vanar Alhaldren
Bronze Contributor

Timezone: CST (GMT -6)

Re: Avlis Side Kick alternative (sort of)

PostAuthor: Vanar Alhaldren » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 pm

The author of the program is very responsive to messages and has let me know that there will be an update soon that will allow connection to up to 10 servers. So, could be a viable replacement for ASK at that point for people who liked using that program.

Vanar Alhaldren
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:29 am

I'd like to try this. Could you post the DCLconfig settings please, I get errors when trying to launch. I don't think I have nwncx? I haven't really played for a couple of years so a little confused with this now. I used to LOVE ASK, made it so much quicker and easier.
Woodsmaster Talon Blade
Battle Sergeant of Le'Nofaythen'T'Nanshi
Former Hero of of Lonovanen'Hirefya

http://twitter.com/AJDSullivan
Talwin Hawkins
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Vanar Alhaldren » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:34 pm

What error are you getting? I'll do my best to help you figure it out, but if I can't do so I suggest heading to the program page at nwvault and sending a message to the developer. He's been really responsive to my messages. I did just suggest an updated readme as I don't think there is one included with this release. There is one for the original program that he is basing this release off of but it is lacking any information on the NWNCX functionality.

If you aren't sure whether you have nwncx or not you probably don't as you need to download and install it. You can check to see if you installed it in the past - there would be at least a few files in your NWN directory with nwncx in their name... nwncx.dll for instance. You might not have an exe if you patched your nwnmain like I did.

Have you tried running the DC Launcher as admin? You may need to point the program to your NWN install if it is not in the default location as well.

Here is my configuration tab in the DC launcher settings:

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=66&image_id=498&sk=t&sd=d&st=0

If you are still having trouble shoot me a pm and if you'd like I can try to give some help via chat or something.

Vanar Alhaldren
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Talwin Hawkins » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Don't worry, I'm an idiot! I didn't see the settings within the program I thought I had to edit the file itself. Got it working, its great! Though I to am looking forward to more servers, five is NOT enough. :)
Woodsmaster Talon Blade
Battle Sergeant of Le'Nofaythen'T'Nanshi
Former Hero of of Lonovanen'Hirefya

http://twitter.com/AJDSullivan
Talwin Hawkins
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT+1

PostAuthor: Vanar Alhaldren » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:20 pm

There is a new version up which will allow you to add up to 10 direct connect servers. I would say that at this point the program is a viable replacement for ASK with the one exception of not yet allowing you to run a program at NWN start. I think the author is looking into that as well but the program is fully functional for the purposes of launching the servers and the built in log rotator is working if you are also looking for an all-in-one solution. Be sure that you grab version 1.14.1

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nw ... t-launcher

I was going to post this as an alternative to Avlis Side Kick on the needed files page of the wiki but I don't have the permissions to do so.

Vanar Alhaldren
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:24 am

Vanar Alhaldren wrote:Have you tried running the DC Launcher as admin?

This and the suggestion on the vault about always running NWNCX Loader.exe as admin, aren't really necessary IMO.

If you own the files in your NWN folder, you should be able to use XP-SP3 compatibility mode on the NWNCX Loader.exe, and Win 7 mode for the nwmain.exe and DC Launcher, with no need for admin (which is nasty for saving files as admin after). Having Win 7 compatibility mode on the DC Launcher is mostly to keep any custom GUI changes you may have in Win 10, since the XP-SP3 compatibility mode on the NWNCX Loader.exe uses its own default Win GUI (ugly blue or whatever). Win 8 mode is enough for the toolset even, and that just fixes some glitches with window focusing on top for me. Your mileage may vary, but I hate when people jump to "Run as Admin" without looking at other options. :wink:

I don't normally use this kind of tool, and have my own custom setup for connecting, log storage/formatting and other stuff, but I gave it a spin, and it seems like a nice front end app. The author should give some credit to AHK though for using it, and I'm not a huge fan of the server advertising in the default banners, but whatever works. :mrgreen:
The fact that someone is still working on it is a huge bonus too.

As far as editing the wiki... did you log in with an account? I wasn't aware of having any special (~speshul~) permissions for the needed files page, but I can toss something up there if you can't.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: Vanar Alhaldren » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 am

I was logged in on my wiki account and didn't see any edit options on the needed files page.

I know that the current author of the direct connect launcher does have some information on the application page which credits the person that developed it initially. I think there is even a link to the source files on there.

You can remove all of the default banners from the application - I think they are there to show you what is possible. This is what mine looks like at the moment:

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=66&image_id=507

There are some other options that some people might find useful as well: Change chat channel colors, change trap colors, change languages by swapping out the appropriate files. I'm not really using any of those but they are in the program configuration menu.

Vanar Alhaldren
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:58 am

Weird. I don't see it in the protected page list.

I'll toss something up tomorrow if you can't do it.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Vanar Alhaldren » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah, just double checked the wiki and for some reason I get no edit options even while logged in. I can edit other pages as usual. :ka:

Vanar Alhaldren
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Just because I like breaking things, here's a bit of a "don't try this" warning, unless the author figures out a solution. :datz:

If you use all 10 server slots with banners (or just bigger ones), and your screen resolution isn't tall enough, then you won't be able to see the top or bottom of the window, or its controls. Closing it from the task-bar or whatever, then editing out some of the 'Banner=' entries in the DCLconfig.ini will get you back to a more manageable size.

I'd suggest smaller banners for all Avlis servers than the default sizes it uses. If the author figures out how to add more server columns after 5, that might work too. It works well without them, just using server name entries, so the banners are mostly about eye candy (and url linking).

More than 10 servers would be nice then too, since that isn't enough if you do any QA work here. :wink:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Vanar Alhaldren » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Ok, I managed to find the edit button on the needed files page :oops: and have wikified the information. I listed it as an alternative under the ASK info rather than starting a new section. In other news, I was nearly routed by the captcha as it took me something like four tries to get past it.

Vanar Alhaldren
Bronze Contributor

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Yeah, the "captcha" is backwards when it ask which "isn't" one. No matter which it asks, just type the letter/number, and add the word after for the single one that "IS".

Actually a bit easier that way, with no thinking needed. :mrgreen:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion