Mikona - (0)
Wilderness - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Total players: 4
Gallery

Links Menu

Lycanthropy

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Lycanthropy

PostAuthor: surfer69 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:20 pm

In the interest of full disclosure, my character is a self-proclaimed lycan hunter, so these questions have that weight behind it, but I think they're still valid.

First, are these current figures right?

Damage Resistance
The Damage Reduction is directly based on a character's level. The amount of damage absorbed is 10 + 1/2 of that character's level. So, for example, a level 20 lycan would have 20/+xx DR. A level 10 would have 15/+xx, and a level 30 would have 25/+xx For the +xx, it is determined by your level as well. A level range of 1-7 is +1. 8-15 is +2. 16-23 is +3. 24-31 is +4. 32-40 is +5 So, the same level 20 lycan would have 20/+3 DR. The level 10 would have 15/+2, and the level 30 would have 25/+4.
Regeneration
The regeneration directly follows a character's level progression. So at level 5, in were-form, a lycan will regenerate 5 hp per round, at level 30 it will be 30 hp per round

I'm asking because this seems slightly out of line with the power-level I understand Avlis to operate on. A level 40 lycan PC would have, unless I'm wrong:

30/+5
40 regen/round

I'm all for lycans having cool powahs, but doesn't this seem a bit over-the-top? For comparison, it's better than the 9th-level Druid spell Unyielding Roots in that regard, and they're free to move at will.

Second, and as importantly, are they subject to involuntary transformations, so they can be seen for what they are at a moment not of their choosing?

Thanks for any answers.
"See, want, take. What else is there, right?"
surfer69
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: EST

Re: Lycanthropy

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:55 am

There were several factors for balancing back in the day. One important thing to remember is that no equipment is merged and you cannot spellcast or use most items. If my schedule allows it, a lycanthropy re-work was on my agenda a few years back and I'd like very much to put it back on there. Terms of course would be discussed by several people and a lengthy process would happen before anything was changed, approved, etc.

As it stands now, it may seem OMG POWAH but it isn't nearly as OP as it looks on paper. Unfortunately, with this setup, there is a fine line between POWAH and WTFPWNED when fighting. One of the reasons I am hopeful the lycanthropy system will be reviewed in the near future.

As for your second question, I believe that one would be best addressed IC'ly as it is less mechanics. The 'common knowledge' is lycans are known to change unwillingly and attack things nearby in an uncontrolled sense. What, why, when, etc. would be FOIG besides that it correlates with the full moon. Do all lycans do this? Do they always do this, sometimes, etc? Find out next time!
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team