Gallery

Links Menu

Xeo's DM Events: Lock Picking

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Xeo's DM Events: Lock Picking

PostAuthor: Xeo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 pm

Indroduction

This is my experimental lock system for my events only. This is not a world system or a world team certified system or that other DM's will use it at all. So if you are within a DM event, don't expect the DM to use it and I will also ask for you not to ask a DM online. It will put the DM on the spot and wouldn't be fair. So please don't put a DM on the spot OOCly in a event ]8) .
This is a "Xeo" thing for now and something I want to try and see how it works in my up coming events. The main aim here more importantly for me is to help the player and me think on the same page. To be able to picture what the lock would look like and mechanically in game.

(I’ve only played ONE PnP session, so this has probably all been done before and I apologise in advance. This is new to me and I am enjoying it. So please don’t hit me hard :( )

I was recently in a DM event (ran by Scott) where I sow a really interesting RP on trap disarmament and it got me thinking about ‘pick locking'. Now nothing I’ve designed is original here, so I am not claiming it to be so. I have basically recycled the lock picking system out of Skyrim and redesigned it to fit a D&D way and my DM sessions.

Xeo’s Experimental Locking Picking System

There are three strengths of locks:

Basic (2 pins)
Intermediate (3 pins)
Advance (5 pins)

A or many PC's will approach the lock (usual lock picking skill roll done) and one or all will be told via a TELL the strength of the lock. Depending on the groups skill strength, RP and who wants to attempt it. A PC will attempt to pick the lock on a door, chest or lock. The idea is that the PC will need to figure out pin position on each lock cylinder (Please look at example, it's a terrible drawing and handwriting, so sorry there!). Each lock cylinder will have 4 possible positions of where the pin locks into place, Position 1, Position 2, Position 3 and Position 4. Once all the required pins are in position within the require cylinders (lock strength), the lock will be picked and the contents revealed! :anmachen:

So how does it work?

When the PC role-plays attempting to pick the lock, he will roll a 1d20 dice on each attempt to locate the pin within the cylinder. There are 4 possible outcomes, the lock pick snaps, they eliminate ONE possible position, they eliminate TWO possible positions or they successfully locate the pin in the cylinder.

Roll Results Table 1D20 DICE

1-4 = SNAPPED!!! Lock pick is broken :evil:

5-10 = One Pin position is eliminated (Example: 4 possible pin positions then become 3 possible pin positions. The DM will send a TELL advising 2,3 or 4 are the possible correct pin position (Position 1 being removed). If the PC guess correctly, then SUCCESS! The pin is location into the position and can move onto the next cylinder.

11-15 = Two Pin positions are eliminated (Example: 4 possible pin positions then become 2 possible pin positions. The DM will send a TELL advising 2 or 4 (Position 1 & 3 being removed). If the PC guess correctly, then SUCCESS! The pin is location into the position and can move onto the next cylinder.

16-20 = SUCCESS! The pin is located into position first time. ]8)

The system has a element of skill success, mixed in with some guessing too. Those with a epic skill like ability can pretty much pick their way through the lock system BUT at the same time have that odd moment where a lock can be still tricky to pick.

For the PC’s who invest into their lock picking skills are rewarded with a 1+ for every 10 skill points in ‘lock picking’ (So a lock picking roll to start off with, will give the DM an opportunity to log total Lock Pick Skill for said PC(s)).

What happens if you roll a score between 1-4?

You will be allowed to make a further attempt. Fail again and the cylinder becomes jammed with snapped lock picks and the lock is jammed.

What happens if you roll a score between 5-10?

You will have the possible pin locations reduced by ONE and if guessed correctly, you move onto the next cylinder.

If guess wrong, you break the pick lock and get guess again. It's now a 50/50 chance and failing that, your 3rd attempt would be a success and move onto the next cylinder.

What happens if you roll a score between 11-15?

You will have possible pin location reduced by TWO and if guessed correctly, you move onto the next cylinder. If guess wrong, you break the pick lock and get to choose again.

If there was only two possible options, then your 2nd guess will be a success.

What happens if you roll a score between 16-20?

SUCCESS! You move onto the next cylinder.

Example on 1d20 roll: You roll a 9 but you have 20 skill points in lock picking (That is 2+ to your roll score). Your result goes from 9 to 11 and now from possible THREE pin positions to TWO possible pin positions. So improving your chances of locating the correct pin position.

A lock picking skill of 50, you can add 5+ to your dice roll score for example. Also I am open to other roll skill types to help you pick the lock... But maybe on the first few goes keep it simple. :)

**At the moment I have in mind 3 failed attempts on any lock picking attempt**

My DMing is new and some players are slowly discovering my DMing style (I hope). I love rewarding players, I love giving lootz and I love happy endings BUT I also love to challenge PC’s, to add possible consequences to actions (NOT DPing!) and I want to offer that feeling that you have “earned” it. More importantly for me, I want to help your PC with the tools of the DM client, Avlis and DnD.

So lets talk about IC/RP consequences... At the moment I am going to allow three failed attempts on each cylinder. This is plenty of opportunity depending on the skill level of the PC and a bit of guess work to successfully locate the pins into the correct cylinder position. If IG/IC the PC makes a total disaster of it and the lock pick attempts fail, then the secrets will be locked up.

This might be a total failure but I willing to give this a try and see how we go. If it sucks, I will pull it… :)
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

Re: Xeo's DM Events: Lock Picking

PostAuthor: Commander Morgan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Fair plAy, that's rather clever. Well.Done!

Commander Morgan
Scholar of Fools

PostAuthor: Xeo » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:49 pm

Commander Morgan wrote:Fair plAy, that's rather clever. Well.Done!

Thank you!

Darkfire and me, have been talking about this on Team Speak and he had some really good input and spotted a few things that needed tweeking.

On Failed Attempts (of 3)
You could roll a listen check, to hear the clicks of the pin or spring tension to prevent the lock pick from snapping and a failed attempt. This is a really good idea and combines two skills locking picking and listening into the RP.

Thank you Darkfire! :D
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 pm

This was tested this evening... A bit of tweek needed BUT over all I believed it was enjoyable for all and a success.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Pekarion » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:09 am

*unremorts Pekarion*
Ice-T on D&D:
"Dungeons & Dragons is some of the most crazy, deep, deep, deep nerd shit ever invented. Every word you're saying is made up. Motherfuckers talk like Yoda.".
Pekarion
Sage

Timezone: GMT+1

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion