Underdark - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery
  • Golem Giants
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:07 am

Links Menu

What do you really want to do with your time?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

What do you really want to do with your time?

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Tue May 23, 2017 12:27 pm

This is a bit of a serious question based on a recent chat I had.

Imagine you realize you are going to actually have a couple of free hours to log in and play in Avlis- what kind of activity would you most likely find yourself looking forward to or hoping to find going on?

This is an open ended kind of question no maximum or minimum word requirement in the answer but I do hope you actually give it some serious thought and feedback.
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

Re: What do you really want to do with your time?

PostAuthor: Katroine » Tue May 23, 2017 12:33 pm

I would want to find a good (i.e. fun) group and roleplay and maybe take on a few monsters and plunder.
A perfect balance of crump and chatter. Learn about other characters, about Avlis.
It is all I ever want to do.
Katroine
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Tue May 23, 2017 12:46 pm

I most enjoy exploring new areas, mining, shopping, fun NPC conversations and RP in passing.

A perfect session for me at the moment is to log in, explore until i find something valuable, travel to an urban area to sell my wares and buy new trinkets, and then hunker down at a local pub for some conversation or entertainment. Of course the many DM events are also high on my list of favourites.
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EST

PostAuthor: l1t3r » Tue May 23, 2017 2:11 pm

Be part of an in-depth, multifaceted story.
<Grunt> "Vesdrac 25:17.... the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by ME." *keels*
l1t3r
Scholar

PostAuthor: Kinjara » Tue May 23, 2017 2:26 pm

If I have a two-hour block of time:

I really enjoy the DM/story events, the first one I attended was amazing and I continue to be amazed. I also really enjoy just going out with folks crumping like we did the other day with the trolls/etc in Deglos or the patrol with the Deglos Brigade a couple of weeks ago.

Being new to Avlis, if there is nothing else going on I will usually just go exploring by myself. While I enjoy it, I would MUCH rather not go around alone.

If I have only a short time available I will usually just go mining. A dwarf needs to keep busy, busy is good.

Kinjara
Squire of Babble

Timezone: Eastern

PostAuthor: SaraEF » Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 pm

l1t3r wrote:Be part of an in-depth, multifaceted story.

Katroine wrote:I would want to find a good (i.e. fun) group and roleplay and maybe take on a few monsters and plunder.
A perfect balance of crump and chatter. Learn about other characters, about Avlis.
SaraEF
RPotY 2014

PostAuthor: Tel » Tue May 23, 2017 3:40 pm

What I WANT to do and what I actually do when I have a chunk of time are two different things. What I most look forward to is something else still.

I most look forward to Trade Fairs and Flea-markets. I love going around and just checking what's new on merchants. I want to see what kinds of things people are making now with artificing, or what kind of unique or hard to find DM drops they got but are willing to sell. Just going around to see what's there even if I'm not buying is fun.

What I want to do all the time, is explore and find new places. Alone or in a small group that can face challenges that actually cause a problem for them but can be overcome. It's not as fun if it's a large group that's steamrolling the content.

What I actually find myself doing though, is generally getting materials to make something. While the final few minutes is great and providing something that someone wants is really fun, there's a lot of drudgery between the start and the end.

I honestly find myself out of my depth in most conversations at public gatherings. I try to keep up with the chatter, but things drift off to topics I've never even heard of or know anything about and I feel like I'm on the outside of them looking in. So while I may be there and try to use those times to catch up on "current events" I feel like I'm outside looking in through the glass, which doesn't make them exciting for me.
Tel
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: GMT-6

PostAuthor: Eal » Tue May 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Honestly the best stuff was like last nights pub crawl. For an event that Pleth advertised as off-the-cuff improvised, it had a perfect balance of RP and fighting, with a really neat story behind it, and it played to strengths and backgrounds of the PC's involved. That's the best stuff, though I know it cant always be that.

Like others my first preference is finding a group and a mix of RP and crump. Jack and Faith had a great time by themselves in the spider caves the other day - that kind of stuff is golden.
Eal
Knight of Useless Drivel

PostAuthor: Trigger » Tue May 23, 2017 4:01 pm

What I want to be able to do is to play my character in a situation where they can be useful. Whether that's popping locks in a dungeon, helping to cleanse a negative-energy-dragon-thing's lair, or simply being a part of the conversation, with things to add and things to take away.

I feel Tel's pain in the not knowing what's going on half the time, but also I realise that i'm not around most of the time for things that are going on, this is a curse of my play-schedule (or lack thereof).

I guess at it's core, I want to play with others in a situation where everybody has something to add. (what attracted me to PnP DnD in the first place!)
Trigger

PostAuthor: Darkfire » Tue May 23, 2017 4:20 pm

A balance between it. In my perspective, of what drives my Avlis, is conflict. Hang with the friends, dungeon run, and plot and execute. Everyday is a mix of immediate gratification, short term goals, and long term goals. Conflict is what keeps Avlis real, knowing your actions affect things, that sets it apart from other games.

That and it also depends on my RL mood. Some times I just want to mindlessly hack'n'slash for a few. Some times I just want some deep, philosophical and spiritual discussion-type roleplay. Avlis is just really diverse.
CoEMF :devil: :feuer:
WrathOG777: This is a roleplaying game. There is no such thing as winning or losing. Only playing.
Player of Dameon Nepirtas
Darkfire
Major DM
Major DM

Timezone: CST (-5 GMT)

PostAuthor: Katroine » Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Not hijacking (I hope) but I am often hopelessly out of the loop on things happening but there are a lot of characters who will fill you in as best they can if you ask at a good time (i.e. not in the middle of something else).
Katroine

Timezone: Mountain

PostAuthor: Ronan » Tue May 23, 2017 5:06 pm

- Teach others
- Learn something new
- Tell stories
- Learn stories
- Participate in stories
- Participate in something that develops my character
Ronan
CCC, Elder DM , RPotY 2014
CCC,  Elder DM , RPotY 2014

DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: Seka » Tue May 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I always hope to find a small adventuring party (six or fewer) for a balanced session of combat and roleplay. I also love stumbling upon player-generated plots (or starting them!), and adore DMs who tap into these and further them. I tend to avoid larger events - while they can be fun, there are just too many voices competing to be heard.
Seka
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EDT (GMT -4)

PostAuthor: rk57957 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Kill Dameon

Just kidding I like get caught up in a story with drama and gossiping and bad mouthing other characters.
rk57957
Scholar

Timezone: CST

PostAuthor: Xaila » Tue May 23, 2017 7:13 pm

+1

Also I like to get to know characters on a deeper level than idle chatting about the weather. It always feels like there's never time for that.
We're all burning out, fading away
Like the passing light of day...

Player of:
Solveig Tcharov - Friendly Fire Award '11, Skywalker Award '11
Ambrose Longstreet
Maliha
Xaila

Timezone: EST (-5/-4 summer)

PostAuthor: loki70 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:30 am

What I want to do is hang out, RP, rehash the good ole days, poke fun at the silliness, and generally interact.

What I actually do is log onto a nearly empty server and start a good solid dungeon run, usually with folks (lfp is the best thing on Avlis...ever)

What ends up happening is I get 15-30 min into my run and my house detonates (or that's what I think is happening by the noise level) and I have to log off and deal with RL.

I like the DM plots, but don't really hit them that often. What I really like about the RP/group dungeon crump is, while it makes some places ridiculously easy, it does make most of the time ridiculously fun and awesome as well ;)
Anomandari: You're the perfect needle for our balloons.
loki70
QA Resource

Timezone: gmt -7

PostAuthor: Roofus123 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 am

What I would like to do is be part of a DM event or story, but like some of the others is I end up logging in and running something that I know only takes 30 min or so. I have been part of a couple of the random DM events and those are a blast, no story plot just the DM messing with a group.

Roofus123
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: GMT-7

PostAuthor: analgesia » Wed May 24, 2017 3:08 am

Katroine wrote:I would want to find a good (i.e. fun) group and roleplay and maybe take on a few monsters and plunder.

and maybe a bit of :prost: :sauf:

analgesia
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: shae » Wed May 24, 2017 3:11 am

I like to do anything where Shae's worldview is challenged. That's just about everything.
Verossa wrote:[Tell] Shae : Confusing adventurers with morals since 2017 !
shae
Lord of Blithering Idiots

PostAuthor: Elradra » Wed May 24, 2017 4:42 am

Goodness, I'm not sure where to start if I could do that during more normal hours of the day.

I'd like to be part of an Ebony guild meeting, or make a few scrolls and wands I've been meaning to for months, explore new places, re-explore old places, and work on personal plots. DM events are always appreciated too. Oh, and having Rade teach newcomers how to not only survive but be financially independent. That's been a lot of fun so far.

I just need to remember to get out of that death trap called Zvidureth more often!

Now with 40+ alts to meet!
Elradra

Timezone: Central US

PostAuthor: dashdot » Wed May 24, 2017 11:11 am

A lot of the previous posts have suitably covered what I want to do in game, so I'll just quote them. :)

Seka wrote:I always hope to find a small adventuring party (six or fewer) for a balanced session of combat and roleplay. I also love stumbling upon player-generated plots (or starting them!), and adore DMs who tap into these and further them. I tend to avoid larger events - while they can be fun, there are just too many voices competing to be heard.

I think my only difference with Seka's quote is that I really prefer small groups, actually even fewer than 6 - 4 is about the max group size I can really cope with. Usually it takes a few moments to process what's going on and figure out how my LG gal should respond to it. Smite or no smite? Lecture or let it slide? hahaha. It's tough, I find playing LG very tough indeed, which is why I need small groups who don't mind my slow typing when I'm thinking of what to say/do. Usually when I'm under pressure I'll make a decision that I later on end up regretting, which sucks! (but adds to fun IC drama, I suppose...)

Otherwise, what do I want to do with my time:

- Make friends
- Make enemies
- Make frenemies
- Be useful to someone in some way
- Solve mysteries
- Explore
- Have fun
- Smite evil!
- Get uber lewt
dashdot

PostAuthor: Plethora » Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 am

I really want to DM something that makes at least one person go "Yusss"

Preferably more <[8)

EDIT : Yusss, can be replaced with Wow! .. or Fuck! or "Cool" or something
Well, i've heard about the fella you've been dancing with, all over the neighborhood..
...why didn't you ask me baby? Or didn't you think I could..
Plethora
Head DM
Head DM

Timezone: +11 (DST)
DM Avatar: Verossa

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 am

I get around to answering my own question.

If I find myself with a random couple of hours to log in and play in which I have scheduled nothing in advance and there is nothing scheduled. My expectations is that I'm going to muck about with crafting, CTS or hang out in Zvid and catch up on the IC news.

If any of that leads to something more - awesome.

After reading some of your responses, I think my expectations for a couple of random hours is very low! :D
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Deider » Wed May 24, 2017 10:17 pm

The great thing about Avlis is that there are so many things you can do. Depending on how much time I have and my mood, I'll chat people up, try to join a crumping session (indeed, LFP rules), go mining/crafting, or simply explore and check out all the great things that have been added in the ten years I've been away.

The one thing I would like to try that I haven't done yet, if possible, would be to find a group of people that play around the same time I do and set up a weekly session, kind of like PnP, either with or without a DM.
Last edited by Deider on Fri May 26, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like gnomes.
Deider
Uber Posting Whor3

Timezone: GMT -8

PostAuthor: tizmo » Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 pm

For me it really depends on how much time I have and how I'm feeling.

What I'd like to have more time to do is crafting, so I can actually gain some levels and make more cool stuff. My PC has been around for many years, yet has a long ways to go in several of the crafts.

What I generally do with my time is...
If I only have 30 - 60 minutes, I'll probably do something solo, like gathering or crafting. Or maybe speak with my P-merchant and check shop inventory.

If I have more than 1 hr it varies:
- If there are others around, I'll join a conversation or a crump.
- If there is a guild/DM event where I think my PC fits, I'll join it. I like guild and DM events both with a long-term and short-term thread.
- I enjoy the times where I can meet with other crafters to teach and learn.
- I've also done a lot of mapping of most of avlis. (have piles of paper maps sitting here - love the large rolls of paper for maps)
- If I have a bunch of time and none of the goings-on interest me, I'll spend the time gathering for crafting.

If I have a full day, I'll probably spend half coding and half playing.

I noticed a few others have mentioned not knowing what the hell people are talking about sometimes when they are discussing current events or history and such. I feel that way sometimes, but I've learned a few things. First, find the PCs that are a wealth of knowledge and when there is downtime, ask them to tell you a story about what's going on. That's some amazing RP there! Second, when there isn't time, just sit back and listen, and if something comes up that you want to speak about, speak. Or if you want to interject a question, go for it.

tizmo
CCC
CCC

Timezone: GMT-4

Next

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion