Total players: 17
Gallery
  • Winter Ball 2015
    Album name: DM Events
    Uploaded by: Ronan
    Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Links Menu

Creating an ALT that indirectly assists your main

Forum for posing direct questions to the Avlis Team. Purpose is to facilitate Team/Player communication.

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Creating an ALT that indirectly assists your main

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Fri May 19, 2017 2:17 pm

I have an idea for an ALT char focused on herbalism/alchemy.

The issue is that the shop where he would sell his wares is staffed (altho not owned and i don't have access to the merchant) by my main blacksmith.

Is it a rules violation to supply goods to a shop that will end up aiding your main char?
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EST

Re: Creating an ALT that indirectly assists your main

PostAuthor: Trigger » Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm

AFAIK it is not provided your main has no access to the goods supplied, if your main can adjust prices or stock levels then it is against the rules. I would say that it may be best to just avoid selling to a shop that you are involved in, if only to avoid any awkward questions/situations.
Trigger
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 pm

To get into a little more detail

Rather then have my epic character picking flowers and making potions that he needs but dont fit his rp, i was going to make an ALT character whos rp IS picking flowers and making potions and sell them to the shop where my Teacher has access and will likely supply my main with.

If its not okay to make an ALT to supply the potions, ill just make them with my main and not make an ALT. There will be no increase/decrease in the amount of potions my main recieves regardless of who makes them.
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Trigger » Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Would it fit said Main's RP to make what he needs to make the things he wants to make? No crafting discipline stands alone, in my experience, for example herbalism (healers kits) need alchemy and tailoring to make up the components you need.
Trigger
Team Member; Retired with Honors

PostAuthor: Kanos » Fri May 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Here are the rules on Muling:

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=127269&p=1332927&hilit=rules+muling#p1332927

Your characters can never know each other.
Player of Ariana|Quin|Jenai|& Elainee
"The world is hateful and Cruel, But lets save its ass anyway. It is better than being bored." Rook Bartlet Invid Invasion
Skype -- wifey5122@hotmail.com
Kanos
Minor DM
Minor DM

DM Avatar: DreAna

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Fri May 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Its a very slippery slope of what ifs and could bes. What would happen if one day your 'main' is a partner and gains access to such. Honestly if it was me. I'd use an 'alt' at a different store and keep that alt away from where my 'main' makes their coin and does their business.

viewtopic.php?t=92443
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks for the replies, and i read all the threads, and im going to get very specific in the hopes of getting a yes or no answer, as id rather not use my best judgement in an area where the consequences are severe.

I do not own a pmerchant.
I do not have access to a pmerchant.

I find it unfun to gather things for 2nd level alchemy, which my main has no interest in, even tho he has the craft skills so that everything is trivial.

I am going to require 2nd lvl alchemy items in the tens of thousands for my main, whether he gathers them or not.

Is it a rules violation (whether in spirit or actuality) to sell 2nd lvl alchemy goods to my teachers pmerchant? (knowing full well that it will benefit my main)
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Ronan » Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 pm

You should avoid doing this if the intention is that you'll be using the components. If your shop is having a hard time gathering particular components, speak with the individual who is your go between about setting more competitive prices... or set up your own shop with your main to collect.
Ronan
CCC, Elder DM , RPotY 2014
CCC,  Elder DM , RPotY 2014

DM Avatar: Wilsash

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 pm

You should avoid doing this if the intention is that you'll be using the components.

10/4 Thanks for the reply.
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Zerub » Sat May 20, 2017 2:52 am

I always thought it was fine for an alt to sell to your mains p-merchant and also buy from it as long as the items are there for everyone to sell and buy and everyone has the same chance.

viewtopic.php?t=92443

That does not look like it has changed anywhere has it?

Scott

Zerub
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: utc -6

PostAuthor: Ronan » Sat May 20, 2017 2:58 am

Heya Scott,

While we will look a circumstances on a case to case basis, a situation in which a player sells occasional crafting materials to a particular shop is quite different from creating an alt character that becomes the main supplier of 'tens of thousands' of needed items. I hope that helps clarify.
Ronan

PostAuthor: Zerub » Sat May 20, 2017 11:19 am

I can understand that for sure. In this situation, what if it is very IC for the alt to make these items though and the shop that is buying has the best price on the market? I would think the alt would want to get the best price. Also, if that is ALL the alt does then I would see that as muling for sure.

Let me give an example to see if the team would think this is alright or not. I'll use a RL one as far as my main. Zerub is sort of a crafter. About everything he makes anymore takes Potions of Fire. He buys them for a very good price. He needs thousands. My alt is an alchemist (No, I don't really have an alchemist alt) and makes these and needs gold so he makes thousands and sells to Zerub's p-merchant. He ends up selling 5,000 to the p-merchant. Would that be legal? I guess he could sell elsewhere, but what if Zerub's buying price is much better than others buying price? That would seem to be way OOC to sell somewhere else and make less gold.

Not a big deal for me since it would be easier for Zerub to collect than my alts anyways, but I want to make sure for others.

Thanks.
Scott

Zerub
Apprentice Scholar

Timezone: utc -6

PostAuthor: Grunt » Sat May 20, 2017 1:54 pm

But you're not selling the potion of fire at your shop, are you? So in your example you're specifically selling it to your main's shop for only your main to use.

IMO, There are sacrifices that are made when playing an alt, at all levels of the game. This goes from plots and events where it may directly conflict with your main, to information that each one can know (and actions that each one can take), to shopping at your merchants. If you have to start chipping at a rule to justify an action, best to just avoid the action and get the lower amount of gold. Don't cast a shadow where you don't need to.
FletcherWiki

*Stepping out of a portal*
Nawen Amakiir: there he is.. *smirks* someone had to make an entrance
Fletcher Millstone: MILLSTONE! *arms held high*
Lilliana Be'letane: You're the worst, Fletcher.
Grunt
CCC
CCC

Timezone: I AM A TIME LORD

PostAuthor: Demonlady » Sat May 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Personally it always was my understanding as well that you can sell to or buy from the shop owned by another character of yours if:
*) Anyone shopping there gets paid/asked the same price for items
*) Anyone has a chance of shopping for those items (so you're not buying the one single item of a certain type you just put for sale)

To do otherwise is, in my opinion, taking the 'no muling' rule to an extreme that is unlogical.
Especially if it might quite well be that *other* characters working in the shop might use the items you sold to them with an alt.
It certainly seems to be no longer a Common Sense applying to me.
"If I had been a cat, curiosity would have killed me a long time ago".

Visit the H.E.A.L. website on: http://heal.ry-ky.com/index.php
Demonlady
Apprentice Scholar

PostAuthor: Ronan » Sat May 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Heya folks,

This is ask the team, not general discussion. If you have a question for clarification of the rule, please ask it. We're hoping that common sense applies to the understanding of the line between abusing a merchant or not, and that the team posts have clarified this and answered Zerub and Grim's questions. We would prefer to not have to remove player posts on their opinion, but may have to do so if those posts may make the thread confusing to others.
Ronan

Return to The Avlis Project: Ask the Team