Total players: 12
Gallery

Links Menu

Font Haks?

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Font Haks?

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:21 pm

I'm already using the high resolution font setting in advanced graphics, and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a hak(if thats even the correct type of file) to make the font type even larger? I play sitting on my couch, with my pc hooked up to my television through HDMI, and it's kind of hard to read. Any idea how I can change the settings on my end to make it bigger?
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

Timezone: EST

Re: Font Haks?

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

I do the same and I found running it 720 makes them more readable from about the 11 feet I am from my screen.
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

2016 winner of The Micah Ormane Prize for Narcissism
gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 am

I just tried this, and anything less than 1920 wont fill up my screen, and the text didnt seem to get any bigger, is it a tv setting? or something on my pc?
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:31 am

Strange cause if I play it at 1920x1080 then my mouse is off by 5 inches to the lower right. 720 is the largest I can play it.

In both you card setting and on the tv setting do you have any aspect controls set to zoom? Would be the first thing I'd look into.
Nawen Wiki | Loash Leheven Wiki | Paradise Boutique and Emporium Wiki | FRAwen Wiki

gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

PostAuthor: gutemensch » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:40 am

I did find 3 font overrides that promised lots but none of them delivered on the chat/combat window where we need the larger font.

I double check my settings. I have on my card and tv, zoom turned off. Typically I am 1080 for everything but NWN which I do 720.

gutemensch
Minor DM
Minor DM

PostAuthor: Tulip » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:18 am

Ugh... I might just try the 720 setting. I don't play far from my screen, but my eyes aren't that good. I enabled UseLargeFont as indicated here, but not sure if that helped a lot.

Perhaps there's a graphics card driver setting, or some utility you can use, but that'll depend on the card etc.
TulipRural Feypriest Archervenger of Dru'El and Fey of Flappertunity
Harry Hammerwell — some dwarf
Tulip
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: Eastern (GMT-4)

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 am

There are various font overrides around for changing the style and size of different parts of the GUI/chat. I've been trying the one from this site, and it works pretty well, though I'm not a fan of serif fonts. Like any override, just remove the files if you don't like the results.

Note: As mentioned in the description there, you should turn off the "Use Hi Resolution Font" option for that one to work properly. It is still bigger than the default hi-res one. Also, there are 2 different override files that can be used independently in there, if you only want some of the fonts changed. Read the post and it explains it all.

There are some on the Neverwinter Vault if you search through the font stuff. The Large Dialog Text Font 2 one looks ok (again, not a fan of serif fonts), but I haven't tried it. Some of the older ones are crappy, so it might take a few trials to get what you want. You might find some others built into a few of the bigger GUI upgrades there. Google is your friend too.

There are also some suggestions for tweaking dpi scaling and driver settings when you Google the topic, but I'm not going to suggest trying those here. Too much of that is dependent on your setup and hardware, and not only is it somewhat complicated, it can mess up other things besides NWN.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: GunnJ » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:16 am

To report for the first one, just tried it, didn't see any noticeable difference in size. :(

Edit: I did reset the high resolution font in NWN per the instructions. But at least for me, the font change in size was nothing thrilling.
Last edited by GunnJ on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you can’t take the heat, don’t tickle the dragon.”
GunnJ
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:47 am

Okay thanks all especially Gorgon, I'm getting close.
Ive dl all the different font styles, and have learned that i have to copy them each twice and rename them.
for example fnt_diaglog16x16.tga gets copied twice and also becomes
fnt_dialog.tga
fnt_galahad14.tga

I have succesfully changed the font for my menus and the gamespy screens, but when I log into avlis everything is still exactly the same as it was before. What am I missing? and why is the second copy of the file called galahad? I have created these copies for both the .tga and .txi so i have a total of six fnt files in my override folder.
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:50 am

I figured it out, you have to make sure to turn off the high rez font option in advanced settings to get the fonts to work. Ill post an update when ive found the perfect font for my resolution and possibly a screenshot
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: GrimlyAxefingler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:27 am

Awesome I got it. Thanks!!!!!
no luck with screenshots, but if any want to try it i found the best option was to use the nwnw fontmaker gorgon linked to.
I created a set with a 22 point bold Palatino Linotype...very important to set the spacing to 4.
Tested it in game and its awesome!
GrimlyAxefingler
CCC
CCC

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 am

GrimlyAxefingler wrote:Okay thanks all especially Gorgon, I'm getting close.
Ive dl all the different font styles, and have learned that i have to copy them each twice and rename them.
for example fnt_diaglog16x16.tga gets copied twice and also becomes
fnt_dialog.tga
fnt_galahad14.tga

I have succesfully changed the font for my menus and the gamespy screens, but when I log into avlis everything is still exactly the same as it was before. What am I missing? and why is the second copy of the file called galahad? I have created these copies for both the .tga and .txi so i have a total of six fnt files in my override folder.

GrimlyAxefingler wrote:I figured it out, you have to make sure to turn off the high rez font option in advanced settings to get the fonts to work. Ill post an update when ive found the perfect font for my resolution and possibly a screenshot

I did mention you should turn off the "Use Hi Resolution Font" option, but glad you figured it out. :P

The instructions with that font changer are a bit off, as far as simply copying the .tga files with new names (still a handy tool). The original BioWare versions (what they expect you to use) have different sizes/resolutions for each, and there are more involved when you want to use the hi-res thing. I haven't sorted out which are used for what (yet), but I'll mess with it when I have time. Trade Fair means I'm a bit occupied. :wink:

The main ones used by NWN are below (extracted from the game files and texturepack .dds ones, and no, there isn't a fnt_dialog32x32.tga in it all):
fnt_dialog16x16.tga
fnt_dialog16x16.txi
fnt_dialog32x32.txi
fnt_dialog.tga
fnt_dialog.txi
fnt_dialog_big16.tga
fnt_dialog_big16.txi
fnt_galahad14.tga
fnt_galahad14.txi

There are a more "fnt_xxx" ones for other things, like the console and whatever, so it could take even more tweaking for a full conversion. Not something I plan on doing myself, but figure you should know if you want to do it right. 8-)

*Edit* if you want to work with the .bif files in the data folder (all the regular game content) and other things in your nwn directory, nwnexplorer is a very handy tool. It even has a (very basic) search tool now for finding files, though I wish it would search the NWN core files in reverse order, the way the game prioritizes them (HotU 1.69 files are used over earlier versions and so on). It can be a bit crashy with some of the crappy stuff in haks, but it is still something you might find very good to have around.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion