Gallery

Links Menu

Sailors Guild Development Thread

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Sailors Guild Development Thread

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:51 pm

http://wiki.avlis.org/mediawiki/images/ ... _M7uJV.jpg

This is a development discussion thread and those who have a interest in perhaps seeing this get off the ground.
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

Re: Sailors Guild Development Thread

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Land Marks of Interest for exploration and different Ports:

Mikona
Port Nerith
Pelanil'Nan Cove
Sahuagin Strait
Sahuagin Archipelago
Windward Islands
Cape Tumulet
Bay of Equialor
Eastshore
Westshore
Great Southern Islands
Enclosure Islands
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Tulip » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Any river routes that the crew might try? Not with the big ship, of course, but assuming they have the ability to.
TulipRural Feypriest Archervenger of Dru'El and Fey of Flappertunity
Harry Hammerwell — some dwarf
Tulip
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: Eastern (GMT-4)

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:12 pm

The first topic of conversation is how it's structured.

I believe the "Guild" (temporary name given for discussion purposes) covering all alignments, faiths and organisations. I believe having a mixture of different characters will be more fruitful in role-play and more importantly a diverse crew with different backgrounds and stories.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Tulip wrote:Any river routes that the crew might try? Not with the big ship, of course, but assuming they have the ability to.

I think there is but no clued up on that.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:13 pm

Had a good conversation with a PC today ICly. I will post up the ideas that were discussed soon.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:51 pm

The idea at the moment is to have an Alliance instead of a Guild or a Federation (like the SATF). So the Alliance is not worried about "image" or reputation in some ways. I'll explain...

With the solid emergence of ACE's Ship and crew, Ony "Sea-Shrimper" Bibi and the various different faiths, alignments, characters, (time zones), different ideas, motives and RP. I thought it would be wiser to create something that is more loose rather bound by strict laws.

Best example to help explain this is using the Pirates of the Caribbean film: There is a scene where all the ships Captains come together to vote on one action, to which all the Pirates would unite under. Now this Alliance is not a Pirate based (well maybe but explain later).

The Alliance is made up for Captains, Sailors and their Ships. Each ship fly under their own Flag, make their own decisions and choices BUT also can work together as a collective. If an action is taken by it's Captain and it's crew, then the repercussions are against its Captain and it's crew and not the Alliance. If there is to be a common goal that Alliance propose, then a vote taken by all the Ship's Captains must be done before the bill or action is taken.

For example:

If this was active during the Lizard War, then the Alliance may wish to propose "Raiding / Pirating" action to be carried out during times of War. If there is not a motion to carry out such "legalised Pirating" then the Alliance will not front such actions BUT if a Captain and it's crew so wish to undertake those risks, then they are not under the protection of the Alliance and being solely responsible for their actions. Now this is a EXTREME instance and something perhaps only brought up during War Plots but I hoping you understand the very free like nature and loose structure here.

Now there are trade, transportation and various other operations that the Alliance can get into. The crews and ships that wish to be involved in the Alliance would pay a "Tax" into the Treasurer. This can be used to fund various things like a Guild Hall, ships, repairs, warehouses, trade and various other activities.

This is just a loose idea at the moment but like all ideas they take shape.

By the way I believe the heart of the "Guild" or Alliance is exploration and discovery... But I wish not to limit the guild with a single or narrow role-play framework.
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: galen_macbyrne » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:12 am

Xeo wrote:
Tulip wrote:Any river routes that the crew might try? Not with the big ship, of course, but assuming they have the ability to.

I think there is but no clued up on that.

ACE's Viking longship is shallow-draft, like the Viking ships it's based on. They were known to have taken their ships upriver, even portaged across land for "short" distances. One of the reasons they were so feared, because they could strike anywhere and any when.
Galen
PC's:
Garthond Foehammer - Most Stereotyped PC, 2011 Irreverence Awards
Mirkduil Ellerentar - Guild Leader, ACE
Arglebargle Dinklehoffer - Red Order of the Flame
Slide Toefungus

galen_macbyrne
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: US - Eastern

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:33 am

um the Eridanus River is a major water way linking the southern ocean with Lake Eriadanus, I always thought of it as a major shipping lane
Comrades Fill No Glass For Me - Stephen Foster
Oh! comrades, fill no glass for me
To drown my soul in liquid flame
For if I drank, the toast should be
To blighted fortune health and fame.
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

PostAuthor: Xeo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Tulip » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 pm

That was a lot of fun, thanks all! I actually logged in my goblin earlier today, saw that he'd saved up 17 levels' worth of XP, and so decided to bring him. It's shaping up to be a great crowd, and at Euro-friendly times as well!
TulipRural Feypriest Archervenger of Dru'El and Fey of Flappertunity
Harry Hammerwell — some dwarf
Tulip
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Timezone: Eastern (GMT-4)

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Really sorry for not being there tonight...

I am DMing, which is probably the best excuse EVAH! }8)
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:40 pm

Apologise in advance but I will shelving this idea for now. I will most certainly come back to this at a later date or if someone wants to continue it, please do! It's got potential. :D
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Xeo » Thu May 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Starting to think about this again. Time is the problem with the writing needed.

But it rolls around my empty head like a single gold coin in a empty rum barrel. :lol:
Xeo
Master Sage

PostAuthor: Angel of Death » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Make up your mind!
Duhmash - Head Priest of the Bloodkin Tribe.
Raar - Big bad ogre
Fitz - Red Order Magus
Angel of Death
Minor DM
Minor DM

Timezone: +1 GMT
DM Avatar: Maleki

PostAuthor: Xeo » Thu May 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Angel of Death wrote:Make up your mind!

I'm a busy busy man. I never said that I wouldn't, it was a time thing.

I'm working on something that might help it's development and structure.
Xeo
Master Sage

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion