Uploaded: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:38 pm

Links Menu

Posting = good

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Re: Posting = good

PostAuthor: horatio » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Belasco wrote:
Lucien wrote:It's worth pointing out that IC posts don't need to be objective, accurate, or even remotely true. Just IC.

Exactly!

It's your PC's perspective, nothing else really matters :D

My 2 pence, from teh not so wise.

I was observing a very interesting plot some time ago which I knew nothing about and was not involved in. When Mikona was under quarantine, I posted IC - and there was not a shred of truth in that post. Obviously, some were immediately aware, but others responded. I ran with it IC for a while cause it was just too damn funny (from my perspective). I ceased when it dawned on me that I might be interfering or slightly derailing things.

But hey, if that's alright, great!

PS I agree, more IC posts about plots n stuff.
Am I too fat to HiPS?

horatio
Sage

PostAuthor: Knightlight » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Since I do not have any quests/events that are mine specifically.. ((although I should have started the quest for the recipe for the brain panic, i tried to post http://www.avlis.org/viewtopic.php?f=216&t=107797 about looking for the absolinem flower but that went flat, and the need to create new potions))
... It is hard for me to post cause im sworn to secrecy. I have in the past spilled some of the beans so I could try and get information because most breakthroughs that happen after I am invovled are only posted in guild forums I don't have access to. I need some way of gaining information about a plotline IC so I kinda let out a lil bit and see who reacts and who talks. As I think the only psionic super sleuth potionmaker (across planes) I have been asked to do alot of things. from solving murders to representing people in court, looking at items to determine origin and use (read object power)and even once performed surgery to save a friend from a squidface tadpole. (had alot of help from another player with a high Heal skill). Its hard for me to know what to post and where that won't piss of guild leaders and then I won't be asked to attend any events. When I first started and the red apperation was intruduced I actually took the time to have notes made with the report I hand delivered to the characters I was told to give them cause I thought it would be more IG. My hard work was repaid with being chastized cause it took to long I shoulda just made a post and sent notes via the forum. So I did learn that aleast.

Modesty also may dictate why people don't post.. or probably more likely .. we assume someone else will do it.

well I can't think of anything else that won't make this more of a ramble.. thats another reason I don't post I ramble on. and on..
Perception is reality only when no one wants to tell the truth....

player of Ji'mas
Yeoman: Le'Nofaythen T'Nanshi Army
Senior Partner Of HEAL - Healing, Elixirs, Antidotes, and Liqours
Knightlight
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: spool32 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:28 pm

I can say that since this post went up the number of things to read on the forums has jumped dramatically!
Success will be lovely, but you will have to go out and get it! Failure will invite itself in.

Your donation makes this sig possible!
Monthly donations help you Lose Weight Fast!
DM 101
spool32
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: GMT -6

PostAuthor: Knightlight » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:40 pm

spool32 wrote:I can say that since this post went up the number of things to read on the forums has jumped dramatically!

It is getting me to post.. so don't take what I said as poo poo of it just a note as to why its hard for me to get modivated... thanks Bel for the kick in my butt

KL
Perception is reality only when no one wants to tell the truth....

player of Ji'mas
Yeoman: Le'Nofaythen T'Nanshi Army
Senior Partner Of HEAL - Healing, Elixirs, Antidotes, and Liqours
Knightlight
Prince of Bloated Discourse

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Topic necromancy here, but it is a good one to bump. I stuck the original post below this (and another very important one), but the whole topic is worth a read.

I know there are some regular posters here, which is great, but when they are done as journals, or what I call *emote* posts, it is harder for the community to get involved with them. In-character event write-ups, that others can question and respond to, are great for getting others involved, and seeing that stuff is really happening in game. It doesn't have to be just for DM events either.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I think a lot about advertising stuff, and how crazy important and useful it can be, in so many different ways (out of game and in it). I have been negligent myself there *looks at a bunch of half finished write-up drafts*, but I'll try harder if you will. :mrgreen:

Belasco wrote:So in the course of chatting with a few other DMs and later on with some older players the topic of IC forum communication came up...or, rather, the lack there of.

In many guilds the forums serve as IC archives
In the taverns they work like a newspaper or a way to spread common gossip
As a DM IC postings about events do 2 things:
-a. Makes the DM feel appreciated
-b. Gives us a way of maintaining continuity for individual PCs (which is harder than you may think)

I know I know, it's 4am and you meant to be in bed at 11pm but that damn DM caught you just as you were logging off ;) . So don't bother with saying anything that night, but maybe jot something down the next day. A lot of times a few small lines serve as a jumping off point for other people involved in the event. Not every post needs to be epic, not every event needs to be posted, either. And I don't think anyone's going to have their feelings hurt because something they ran isn't getting any press, but if you're looking for a way to let a DM know they did a good job an IC post does it better than pretty much anything else.

Thanks!
Belasco

Lucien wrote:It's worth pointing out that IC posts don't need to be objective, accurate, or even remotely true. Just IC.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PST -8

PostAuthor: silverfields2 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:06 am

*puts in 2 cents* I like Character Journals and emote posts. I'd rather write something then nothing. It doesn't always make sense to me to make a 'public' announcement and the guilds I belong to are one or two people on the best days the exception being maybe the Shem. Otherwise, I'm just writing to the DM's who don't see me otherwise and the people who, like me, like the Character Journals and emote posts.

If you write an emote post or a journal entry - I'll read it. :D

....and I will be very selective on how I use it IG - which more often then not means I won't.
Just hear those sleigh bells jingle-ing, ring-ting tingle-ing, too
Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you
Outside the snow is falling and friends are calling "yoo hoo"
silverfields2
QA Tester
QA Tester

Timezone: GMT -5

Previous

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion