M'Chek - (0)
Deglos - (0)
Visimontium - (0)
Underdark - (0)
Mikona - (0)
Total players: 2
Gallery

Links Menu

Trade Fairs Since The Beginning (Ah Memories)

General discussion about Avlis

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Trade Fairs Since The Beginning (Ah Memories)

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:56 am

A bit of info/trivia/data mining or whatever you want to call it, but I like making lists of stuff. I've been meaning to do up a list of all the fairs Avlis had since they started, so here they are. Figured it'd take 10 minutes or so... I was wrong. I also only thought there were maybe 25 or so of them total... wrong!!! I also missed more than the 1 I thought I missed when I got dragged onto a free plane ride. 3 missed I think (we had one in Deglos?!?), but anyways...

Below is a list of all of the public SATF Trade Fair posts I could find (and a few early private ones I didn't find public posts for), plus the single one hosted outside the SATF. It looks like there were weekly ones after the first by the SATF, but it became apparent by the fifth that people needed time to prepare for them... and recover.

I tried adding notable things from each, and gave up after a few of them, when I realized this would take hours to just get the basics listed. Feel free to add comments, memories and any linkage you can find from the old days. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a few of them too.

*Something else worth mentioning is the availability of player run shops, and then eventually p-merchants, and how they changed things for trade fairs. Getting your own shop in game with just some display chests was a big deal in the early years, and still meant making deals in (virtual) person. Very few could afford this, and housing often took upwards of 6 month to a year to get added. Eventually a few p-merchants were added, again only for those that could afford it, and still came with major wait times to have them implemented.

Eventually things changed with p-markets, and major improvements to player housing submission times. This also changed the impact of the fairs (and forum auctions), when most item could be sold by the merchants instead. Everyone loves the convenience of p-merchants, but I do miss the role play involved with making deals all the time. People may argue that we don't have the same player base to support that kind of thing now, but I still see the major shop's staff dealing face to face with people all the time. Just not for the stuff they are selling over the counter. :wink:

Total Trade Fairs: 38 (+ 1 attempt)

1. The 1st Ferrell Trade Fair (Nov 16, 2003)
    - First of a long list of fairs hosted by: Bill Burnham [Dirk Cutlass] of the SATF and other enterprises.
    - Start of continual "The Ferrell Tourist Agency" DM backing [Nighthawk4 and the rest]
    - Say hello to Grazby, the first in a long tradition of NPC traders at fairs (still selling his stuff somewhere on *coughs*... or under Avlis).
  2. Search-fu needed for a public announcement, but the SATF forum (if you have access) suggests Nov 23rd, 2003.
    - 53 mentioned online at one time in Ferrell, almost as high as the 55 during the reunion fair! Pretty sure we maxed the 64 limit several times in the early days, and even had to lower the max for a while.
    - The idea of doors for rental stalls was suggested for improvements (I'd have gone brain dead without them years ago during fairs, with all the scrolling text from chat around the place... or maybe I did?)
  3. Search-fu needed for public postage, but the SATF forum (if you have access) claims we actually had a fair in Deglos... once, on Nov 29, 2003.
    - Back then the hardware running the mod was... less than optimal (something P-II or III..ish and had a bad clock chip, that made PCs jump back and forth in time). Trying to imagine 30+ online at one time just makes me cringe there.
    - This also made me realize I've missed more than 1 fair over the years... 3 at least!
    - When the SATF decided to do fairs less often, for multiple logistical reasons. :censored:
  4. The Ferrel Trade Fair (Jan 11, 2004)
  5. The Fifth Ferrell Trade Fair (Feb 18, 2004)
  6. Search-fu needed for a public announcement, but the SATF forum (if you have access) suggests the 6th Ferrell Trade Fair was on Mar 13, 2004.
  7. 7th Trade Fair (Apr 17, 2004)
  8. 8th Trade Fair (May 22, 2004)
  9. 9th Trade Fair (June 27, 2004)
  10. The Ferrel Mini Trade Fair (July 04, 2004)
  11. The Fabulous Ferrel Trade Fair (Aug 28, 2004)
    - It's FABULOUS now, and forever after!
  12. Oct 23, 2004
    - First one hosted by someone besides Bill Burnham [Dirk Cutlass]. Hortis Fey [Hortis] of ROTE (and SATF of course).
  13. Jan 15-16, 2005
    - Gracie (Grace Dane-Unuldur) [Katroine] hosts her first SATF fair. If she knew what she knows now, she'd never have wished for a pony! :P
    - The first one to add the now traditional second day for auctions?
  14. Sept 24-25, 2005
    - Zacharia FeatherFingers [Tharliss] finally hosts one, after many years as a founding member of the SATF (his stall was a huge attraction at all of them).
    - Trade fair pre-advertising of stall items and auctions starts, with obvious beneficial results (and big waiting lists for auction times at later fairs).
  15. Jan 14-15, 2006
    - Hosted by: Brother Alphonse Irofin [Alphonse] of the SATF
  16. June 10-11, 2006
    - Hosted by: Morran Unuldur [VETT SCALES L7] of the SATF
  17. Nov 18-19, 2006
    - Hosted by: Owen Alastaire-Alaster [Grunt] of the SATF
  18. Mar 24-25, 2007
    - Hosted by: Garek Blackstone [Sears610] of the SATF
  19. Oct 13-14, 2007
    - Hosted by: Morran Unuldur [VETT SCALES L7] of the SATF
  20. May 3-4, 2008
    - Hosted by: Zacharia FeatherFingers [Tharliss] of the SATF
  21. Nov 29-30, 2008
    - Hosted by: Garek Blackstone [Sears610] of the SATF
  22. July 25-26, 2009
    - Hosted by: Smeec [Gorgon] of the SATF
    - My first fair as host! Naked rothe lap dances for all!!!
  23. Jan 16-17, 2010
    - Hosted by: Fletcher Millstone [Grunt] of the SATF
    - Grunt 1.0 leaves the SATF stage, and is replaced by Man of Opportunity 2.0! (N00B)
  24. Aug 28-29, 2010
  25. The Wonderfully Fantastic Ferrell Trade Fair (Mar 5-7, 2011)
    - Hosted by: Archibald Thel [Sarmanos]
    - The only fair to be hosted outside the SATF (anyone can, but anyone in business knows where the cool kids hang out too, and wants to join!)
    - A 3rd day of drinking and socializing added after the auctions!
  26. Nov 12-13, 2011
    - Hosted by: Grace Dane-Unuldur [Katroine] of the SATF
  27. June 23-24, 2012 *listed as 22-24, but in North American times, instead of UTC
    - Hosted by: Fletcher Millstone [Grunt] of the SATF
  28. Jan 26-27, 2013
    - Hosted by: Nawen [gutemensch]/Smeec [Gorgon] of the SATF
  29. Oct 5-6, 2013
  30. May 31 - June 1, 2014
  31. Oct 18-19, 2014 *listed as 17-19, but in North American times, instead of UTC
    - Hosted by: Grace Dane [Katroine] of the SATF
  32. Apr 25-26, 2015
  33. Oct 3-4, 2015
  34. Apr 2-3, 2016
  35. Aug 27-28, 2016
    - Hosted by: Captain Ony Bibi [Xeo] of the SATF
  36. Dec 3-4, 2016
    - Hosted by: Nawen [gutemensch] of the SATF
  37. Apr 1-2, 2017
  38. Aug 12-13, 2017

There was one more fair attempted outside the SATF, but it never happened with the unsafe conditions around Ferrell at the time.
July 30-31, 2011
- Hosted by: Teleniel [Tel]

*edit* List updated for Apr and Aug 2017 Trade Fairs
Last edited by Gorgon on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

Timezone: PDT -7

Re: Trade Fairs Since The Beginning (Ah Memories)

PostAuthor: Gurky_Bogglewig » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:45 pm

What a trip down memory lane! I distinctly remember ol' Grazby meandering down the stalls in his technicolor robes. His presence caused quite the stir. Just discovered that he doesn't have a wiki entry.

Looking forward to seeing everyone online! As does my partner, who I'm physically dragging along there.
Gurky_Bogglewig
Team Member; Retired with Honors

Timezone: Eastern (GMT-4)

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:36 pm

*Rave Time*

This list is an impressive thing when you think about how these events are player driven, but I really want to mention all the amazing team/DM backing that happens at every fair. DMs with their NPCs, auctions, trade deals and other mini-events during them (and cookies from the sky), and the fantastic decorations* that are set up for each one. Also mini-portals to get people there easier. Don't forget CCC and other QA staff that add/test more improvement to the hall and scripted things, or even the removal of NPC encounters and anything else that caused lag all across Ferrell back in the early years.

All of these make Trade Fairs so much more enjoyable for everyone! :cooler:

*More recent fairs even have the decorative changes made to the module areas before the fair (Pleth does amazing work), rather than set up once it is running, which is a vast improvement for a few reasons. Not only do the changes stick after a crash/reset, but they can be made using static models, which are so much better when it comes to lag with so many people in the same place.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Rare Items Wanted~ | Stealth Modifiers
Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Vichan Lyonsen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:32 pm

I remember that first one, especially Grazby who took pity on my lowbie weapon crafter and bought my entire stock of hot and burning weapons.
I've spent most of my money on beer, fast women, and fast cars. The rest I just wasted .
Vichan Lyonsen
CCC
CCC

Timezone: pacific

PostAuthor: Xeo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Vichan Lyonsen wrote:I remember that first one, especially Grazby who took pity on my lowbie weapon crafter and bought my entire stock of hot and burning weapons.

They are the best memories :)
Silk wrote:I don't know, I think flinging poo in a catapult could be pretty damn effective.
I know if I was on the battlefield and I got hit by a pile of shit... I'd probably go home.
Xeo
Master Sage

Timezone: UK

PostAuthor: Gorgon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 pm

*Bump*

Updated the list with the last and upcoming fair, to make it 38 total!
Someone should probably wikify this in some way, if they are bored, since I never remember to. :oops:

Does anyone remember which fair marked the start of major redecorations each time (*coughs* mah bear, regular chairs and stuff in stalls, and Pleth being even more amazing... as if that were possible)?

Yeah, I can figure it out from the SATF forum, but where's the fun in that? :mrgreen:

Gorgon
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster
QA's 2nd|CCC Mobster

PostAuthor: Pekarion » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Does anyone remember which one Pekarion was manhunted after pickpocketing Melonious?
Ice-T on D&D:
"Dungeons & Dragons is some of the most crazy, deep, deep, deep nerd shit ever invented. Every word you're saying is made up. Motherfuckers talk like Yoda.".
Pekarion
Sage

Timezone: GMT+1

Return to The Avlis Project: General Discussion